PDA

View Full Version : AL Central on ATH today

EMachine10
03-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Yeah, it's ESPN, so take with a grain of salt....

2 say tigers
2 say twins

0 say sox...Reali asks, of course, Mariotti if the door has closed on the Sox, to which he confidently responds, yes. They made 2 dumb moves in the spring, and apparently their rotation is weak. If losing 1 over the hill starter for a young gun totally dismantles your rotation, then sure, i guess. I dunno. Take it for what it's worth. I suppose this should start some interesting debates.:smile:

oeo
03-29-2007, 04:24 PM
I love how everyone ignores the Twins' glaring weakness: their rotation blows. Yes, they have a Cy Young, an MVP, and one of the best closers...but behind their Cy Young they have garbage. If the Sox rotation is weak after replacing only one starter, what do you call the Twins' rotation which lost Radke and Liriano and replaced them with Cy Youngs Russ Ortiz and Sidney Ponson?

EMachine10
03-29-2007, 04:28 PM
I suppose if marriotti has ever said anything worth while, it was reinforcing that very same weakness, oeo. But again, that's the only intelligable thing to ever leave his mouth.

VenturaFan23
03-29-2007, 04:35 PM
How is that guy employed by ANYONE??

Tragg
03-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Mariotti has never had anything nice to say about JR, Williams, Guillen, Sox fans, the neighborhood...it's been obvious to me for a while what he's all about.

Speaking of predictions, BP, when defending their system of projection, pointed out how accurate they were in 2006 in the AL Central: "PECOTA deserves a lot of credit for perceiving that this would be a competitive four-team race"
Cleveland finished EIGHTEEN GAMES BACK and they call them competitive. I wonder how many of these experts, if asked, would know that Cleveland was closer to the Royals last year than they were to the top.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-29-2007, 07:21 PM
This is a windsock thread.

:windsock:
"I'm taking the Sun-Times' money!"

MarySwiss
03-29-2007, 08:13 PM
This is a windsock thread.

:windsock:
"I'm taking the Sun-Times' money!"

Yup, George; right again. And I'm sorry I read it. But it's kinda like the old train wreck thing; you just can't help yourself! :tongue:

Arkham
03-30-2007, 08:37 AM
If the Sox rotation is weak after replacing only one starter, what do you call the Twins' rotation which lost Radke and Liriano and replaced them with Cy Youngs Russ Ortiz and Sidney Ponson?

Ramon Ortiz. Russ Ortiz is a Giant.

...not that that in any way diminishes your point...

FedEx227
03-30-2007, 08:44 AM
^ In fact it's somehow worse.

oeo
03-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Ramon Ortiz. Russ Ortiz is a Giant.

...not that that in any way diminishes your point...

R. Ortiz. :D:

They're both garbage.

AZChiSoxFan
03-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Yeah, it's ESPN, so take with a grain of salt....

2 say tigers
2 say twins

0 say sox...Reali asks, of course, Mariotti if the door has closed on the Sox, to which he confidently responds, yes. They made 2 dumb moves in the spring, and apparently their rotation is weak. If losing 1 over the hill starter for a young gun totally dismantles your rotation, then sure, i guess. I dunno. Take it for what it's worth. I suppose this should start some interesting debates.:smile:

The only surprise here is that none of those tools picked the Toons.

soxinem1
03-30-2007, 09:36 PM
I love how everyone ignores the Twins' glaring weakness: their rotation blows. Yes, they have a Cy Young, an MVP, and one of the best closers...but behind their Cy Young they have garbage. If the Sox rotation is weak after replacing only one starter, what do you call the Twins' rotation which lost Radke and Liriano and replaced them with Cy Youngs Russ Ortiz and Sidney Ponson?

According to ESPN, Shoo-Ins!!!!!!!!:smile:

I rank these ESPN 'experts' pick right up there with that idiot Jeff Brantley and his 'look to Minnesota' remark.

whitesoxfan1986
03-30-2007, 10:04 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Ortiz and Ponson have career years this year just because they're on the ****ing Twins. Nobody knows what the season will behold. For all we know Ramon Ortiz/Sidney Ponson 2007 could = Esteban Loaiza 2003. I wouldn't put it past either of them because every journeyman player the Twins touch turns to gold for at least one year. Remember when Silva and Mays were good? Remember when Kyle Lohse was good? They suck now but they had ERAs south of 4 for at least one year on that team. They are the Twins, and they find a way to win somehow. The Twins are contenders regardless of how all of the other pitchers besides Johan Satan have pitched previously.

IndianWhiteSox
03-31-2007, 05:00 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if Ortiz and Ponson have career years this year just because they're on the ****ing Twins. Nobody knows what the season will behold. For all we know Ramon Ortiz/Sidney Ponson 2007 could = Esteban Loaiza 2003. I wouldn't put it past either of them because every journeyman player the Twins touch turns to gold for at least one year. Remember when Silva and Mays were good? Remember when Kyle Lohse was good? They suck now but they had ERAs south of 4 for at least one year on that team. They are the Twins, and they find a way to win somehow. The Twins are contenders regardless of how all of the other pitchers besides Johan Satan have pitched previously.

The sad part is that might be true also because they pitch in a pitcher's paradise. But I would think that according to the law of equality, the Twins would finally go into the tank maybe even last place with that rotation. But you just never know.