PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem for Opening Day

Murphy10
03-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Is there any word on who is doing it, because I read on an Umphrey's Mcgee fan website that they are supposed to do it. Which would be their 3rd time in two years. But I haven't seen anything from their official website or from the sox official website.
Thanks for any help.

tick53
03-29-2007, 01:09 PM
:DJ
It's DJ
"I'm gonna go ahead and sing now Hawk."
:D:

jenn2080
03-29-2007, 04:40 PM
I got this from my ticket rep.WHAT: Joan Higginbotham, a NASA astronaut and Chicago native, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch at the White Sox home opener on April 2. Higginbotham, a graduate of Whitney M. Young Magnet High School and Southern Illinois University, made her first space flight aboard Discovery in December 2006.

Higginbotham, who carried a White Sox jersey on her trip into space, will present the jersey to the franchise on Opening Day. The White Sox have agreed to send the jersey to the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, New York this summer.

Chicago’s own national recording artist Umphrey's McGee will perform the National Anthem at U.S. Cellular Field on Opening Day. This is the third time Umphrey's McGee has had the honor of singing the National Anthem at a White Sox home game. This time, their rendition will be accompanied by a United States flag unfurling in center field and a flyover by VFC-12 Ambush (Fighter Composite Squadron Twelve) F/A-18C Hornet Naval aircraft from Oceana, Virginia.

All fans attending Opening Day will receive White Sox car flags, presented by U.S. Cellular. All fans who attend any of the Opening Series games will receive a magnetic schedule, presented by Pepsi.

WHEN: Monday, April 2
11:00 a.m. Gates open
12:40 p.m. Pregame ceremonies begin which include the National Anthem performed by Umphrey’s McGee and ceremonial first pitch from NASA astronaut Joan Higginbotham

Trav
03-29-2007, 05:34 PM
This time, their rendition will be accompanied by a United States flag unfurling in center field and a flyover by VFC-12 Ambush (Fighter Composite Squadron Twelve) F/A-18C Hornet Naval aircraft from Oceana, Virginia.

This is hilarious. My buddy and I are driving from Virginia for my first opening day. He's a huge Jndian fan who lived next to Oceana for a year. Those planes are ridiculously loud; he'll be happy to hear that they will be up there for the ceremony... haha

DumpJerry
03-29-2007, 05:50 PM
An astronaut is throwing out the first pitch on OD? I thought it would be some members of the Super Bowl Bears........

esbrechtel
03-29-2007, 06:28 PM
An astronaut is throwing out the first pitch on OD? I thought it would be some members of the Super Bowl Bears........
They asked Lance Briggs...but he wanted the whole team to autograph the ball not just Burls....

Frontman
03-29-2007, 08:59 PM

You're leaving out that the astronaut is a Sox fan AND wore a Sox jersey in space. Which will go to the HOF. Which then will go into the archives.

Which means nothing, I guess. :?:

Ah well, at least it isn't Rex throwing out the first pitch. It probably would be picked off by Trot Nixon, which would just be embarrassing.

BeviBall!
03-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Great, a jam band doing the national anthem. Someone remind them hippies first pitch is 1:05 sharp!

Gremlin3
03-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Ah well, at least it isn't Rex throwing out the first pitch. It probably would be picked off by Trot Nixon, which would just be embarrassing.
:rolling:

Murphy10
03-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Great, a jam band doing the national anthem. Someone remind them hippies first pitch is 1:05 sharp!
hahah o cut them some slack. They more than just some hippie jam band, watch there previous one they nailed it ha.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PO2LuLYDqC0

StillMissOzzie
03-30-2007, 01:19 AM

I sure hope it's not the one who drove straight through from Houston to Florida wearing a diaper...

SMO

IlliniSox4Life
03-30-2007, 01:32 AM
I sure hope it's not the one who drove straight through from Houston to Florida wearing a diaper...

SMO

Of course not. Sox fans don't use diapers, they just **** on the streets. Haven't you ever been on the South Side?

BainesHOF
03-30-2007, 02:59 AM
It's not a big deal, but I can't believe the organization can't find a better act to sing the National Anthem on Opening Day.

Is there a more natural fit than Buddy Guy, a baseball fan, a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer who has kept the tradition of Chicago electric blues alive, and the past/present owner of a couple clubs on the South Side?

The organization should keep the jersey and display it somewhere in the park. The Hall of Fame is just going to put it in some drawer in a back room. I think having the astronaut throw out the first pitch is a nice touch.

I'm usually not one for including politicians in baseball festivities, but Barack Obama would be a great idea in the future since he's actually a real Sox fan.

Frontman
03-30-2007, 09:09 AM
When was the last time the Sox had Dennis DeYoung sing it? You can't get any bigger of a Sox fan who actually sings pretty well.

MushMouth
03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Good work Umphreys! Always good to see those kids get some exposure.

Sounds like a pretty cool pre-game setup.

Hopefully it's all on TV