PDA

View Full Version : Going to the game in Oakland, Any advice?

chitownhawkfan
03-29-2007, 03:12 AM
I'm probably going to the day game on Wednesday, has anybody ever been to Oakland. Whats the park like? Is there anywhere decent to grab a beer before and after the game? How vicious are the fans? Any other advice would be valued.

caracascat
03-29-2007, 06:50 AM
It definitely is not like going to a game in Iowa or Downers Grove or some place like that.

hose
03-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Bring a air horn.

AuroraSoxFan
03-29-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm probably going to the day game on Wednesday, has anybody ever been to Oakland. Whats the park like? Is there anywhere decent to grab a beer before and after the game? How vicious are the fans? Any other advice would be valued.

That park is an EXCELLENT stadium.......for a football game. It is simply huge for a baseball game and unless your seats are pretty good the game can look to be quite a ways away from you. But I read they have shut down the top level for baseball so maybe that will make it a bit better of an experience. Fans are ok. Won't have any problems. Pretty mello crowd. I do not know of any places right by the park to hang out. Once you get a few blocks from the park it is not too swell of a neighborhood. But you can easily hang somewhere in SF or wherever else and jump on a train that will drop you off right at the gate.

White_Sock
03-29-2007, 08:31 AM
This won't work for a day game, but for any night game:
Show up to the game at least an hour early and park in the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) parking lot for free! There is an elevated walkway that goes directly from the bart station to inside the park. This won't work for a day game because everyone is still at work and leaves their cars in the full parking lot for the BART commute.

Beer is like $8-$9 bucks a pop and the food is equally a rip-off. I highly suggest you chug a few beers on the way in and bring a lunch from home. The fans are OK unless the Sox lose - then they all want to find a Sox fan and rub in our faces - something I have experienced many times at the Colluseum. You probably shouldn't sit in the bleachers for this reason. There is a restaurant above the first base side that you can watch the entire game from if you get there early enough. It's like a suite converted into a restaurant, and there are tables right next to the glass. You just have to keep ordering food/beer the whole game - good if you've taken the train or if someone else drove. :redneck

ode to veeck
03-29-2007, 09:47 AM
This won't work for a day game, but for any night game:
Show up to the game at least an hour early and park in the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) parking lot for free! There is an elevated walkway that goes directly from the bart station to inside the park. This won't work for a day game because everyone is still at work and leaves their cars in the full parking lot for the BART commute.

Beer is like $8-$9 bucks a pop and the food is equally a rip-off. I highly suggest you chug a few beers on the way in and bring a lunch from home. The fans are OK unless the Sox lose - then they all want to find a Sox fan and rub in our faces - something I have experienced many times at the Colluseum. You probably shouldn't sit in the bleachers for this reason. There is a restaurant above the first base side that you can watch the entire game from if you get there early enough. It's like a suite converted into a restaurant, and there are tables right next to the glass. You just have to keep ordering food/beer the whole game - good if you've taken the train or if someone else drove. :redneck

Once you have tix to get into the game, you can try to make reservations for the view seating in the West Side Club. To get reservations for seats in the window tables at the West Side Club for game time, you need to call ahead of time on a special number for the F&B vendor (Aramark?) and leave a message and then they get back to you. Details on the number to call and how many days in advance to make your call can be found if you look carefully through the A's web site. You only need to keep eating/ordering through the 7th inning (they stop serving in the 7th). The seats are like sky boxes just above the visiting dugout on 1st base side. Any of the tables in 1st two rows are great views because they're tiered. It might be tough for Wednesday's game because opening day is well sold this year in Oakland for the Sox.

Pricing for food and beer is similar throughout the stadium but quality varies greatly. As White Sock said, there's a lot of less than desireable food stuffs. There's a bar inside the westside club that serves mixed drinks. There's an Irish bar on the 1st floor that does as well & that also has Guiness and Smithwick's on tap and often serves decent pub grub. If you go early, you can go down close to the Sox dugout and watch BP and warm ups until about 30 min before game time (I think its 30 min). Other decent beers available at specific points in F&B ring on 1st level include Gordon Birsch and Sierra Nevada Pale.

03-29-2007, 10:51 AM

Stay somewhere in downtown San Francisco where you can access BART by walking. Take that to the game. Don't hang out by the park after the game unless you have gutsy intentions. The neighborhood around it stinks.

BART drops you off in the parking lot literally and is simple to use.

BART it back to the city and spend the evening in North Beach / by Columbus Street / or the Marina/Cow Hollow area.

You want specific names of places? PM me.

areilly
03-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Bring a plastic knife or something you can sharpen into a shiv.

And ask a Raiders fan if you can borrow their chain mail.

Phil Bradley
03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
I went to 2 games last September, they were not memorable in any way shape or form. The stadium looks like it was designed by the Russians in the 1950's. Think bare concrete and lots of it. The BART lot is the best bet, you can park there during the day too, I did last year. Beers were the typical over priced goodness as they are anywhere. Not much to do around the stadium, your best bet is to catch BART and head to SF for the day. In fact, take BART to the game as well. As was mentioned earlier, A's fans are fine, unless the Sox lose, then you are just annoyed, but for the most part they weren't a problem at all. You can't see the ball if it's hit deep in the outfield and you sit in the "bleachers" so you won't know what happens until the crowd reacts. That's especially bad when Mike MacDougal pitches around Frank Thomas.

WizardsofOzzie
03-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Bring a air horn.
:rolling: I don't know why but that made me crack up

Fuller_Schettman
03-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Geez, you guys make it sound like Englewood!

I work across the street (if you can call 880 a "street") from the Coloseum and it is not that bad of an area. The airport is down the street and there are industrial parks. Not really any good places to go before/after the game, so you will want to plan any extra-curriculars in advance. Last year I went to the game that Garland won and wore my personalized Sox tee and one drunken fool was chanting my name as we were walking out. It was hard to ignore him (he was behind me) but I knew if I didn't one of us was going to jail and the other to the hospital. So bring a thick skin if you wear Sox garb.

Oh, if you bring a cute 10-year old with you, Paulie might toss a ball her way like he did for my daughter! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=754937&postcount=1)

chitownhawkfan
03-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Bring a air horn.

I should find that guy because he drives me crazy during telecasts there.

soxwon
03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
stay in frisco or concord, dont stay in Oakland, its a bad bad town.

DieTrying79
03-30-2007, 12:40 AM
stay in frisco or concord, dont stay in Oakland, its a bad bad town.

Ha! I used to live in Oakland, and let me tell you, it's good to be back! It'll be nice to hop on the El and see my first ever SOX home opener.

Hey Fuller, there is that IN-n-Out Burger across the "street" from the park, no?

WhiteSox1983
03-30-2007, 01:04 AM
bring a bullet proof vest and lots of mace. The park stinks. Easily the worst baseball stadium I have ever been to (besides Qualcomm). Other than that oakland is the left arm pit of california, bakersfield/fresno have the right on lock. Have fun.