PDA

View Full Version : Official Top of the Order Confusing

Jerksticks
03-29-2007, 03:22 AM
An article on WhiteSox.com depicts Ozzie going with the 3 Lefty's 1-2-3; followed by Konerko Dye Crede. Doesn't it make way more sense to put Dye in that 3 hole, or even Konerko? Thome should split these two guys if only for late inning matchup situations.

IlliniSox4Life
03-29-2007, 03:31 AM
An article on WhiteSox.com depicts Ozzie going with the 3 Lefty's 1-2-3; followed by Konerko Dye Crede. Doesn't it make way more sense to put Dye in that 3 hole, or even Konerko? Thome should split these two guys if only for late inning matchup situations.

I think our lineup is going to vary more day to day from last year, assuming that Iguchi does decent lower in the order. I have a feeling Ozzie will play the righty/lefty matchups with BA and Erstad and give them a start when he wants a right or left handed bat. If BA starts, I imagine Gooch will slide down to the #2 spot. If Erstad starts, he'll hit #2 and Dye will hit #3, moving Thome to 5.

So basically against a RHP the average lineup starts:
Pods
Erstad
Dye
Konerko
Thome

Against a LHP the average lineup starts
Pods
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
Dye

Or thats my guess.

IndianWhiteSox
03-29-2007, 08:01 AM
I think our lineup is going to vary more day to day from last year, assuming that Iguchi does decent lower in the order. I have a feeling Ozzie will play the righty/lefty matchups with BA and Erstad and give them a start when he wants a right or left handed bat. If BA starts, I imagine Gooch will slide down to the #2 spot. If Erstad starts, he'll hit #2 and Dye will hit #3, moving Thome to 5.

Pods
Erstad
Dye
Konerko
Thome

Pods
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
Dye

Or thats my guess.

I would hope that would be the case, because the whole point of Iguchi moving down from the #2 spot is being able to bat Dye #3 and still be able to break up the basecloggers.

Lillian
03-29-2007, 08:12 AM

Pods
Erstad
Dye
Konerko
Thome

Pods
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
Dye

Or thats my guess.

Are you sure that we would want to see Thome batting third against LHP?

Iwritecode
03-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Meanwhile, Jermaine Dye was receptive to Guillen's plans to elevate him or Paul Konerko to the third spot in place of Jim Thome against right-handed starters when left-handed hitters Scott Podsednik and Darin Erstad are at the top of the order. Guillen doesn't want three left-handed batters in a row.

From the Cubune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070327sox,1,7262136.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Jjav829
03-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Meanwhile, Jermaine Dye was receptive to Guillen's plans to elevate him or Paul Konerko to the third spot in place of Jim Thome against right-handed starters when left-handed hitters Scott Podsednik and Darin Erstad are at the top of the order. Guillen doesn't want three left-handed batters in a row.Huh? It's against right-handers where Thome is an absolutely monster. That makes no sense. Ozzie is going to drop Thome against right-handers, but leave him in the #3 spot against left-handers? Is that a joke? That's the exact opposite of what he should be doing. Thome posted a 1.203 OPS against righties last year. That's .231 better than anyone else on the team! Dye was next with an OPS of .972 against righties. Against lefties, Thome had merely a .715 OPS, which was 6th in our normal lineup against lefties. Yet Ozzie is going to drop Thome in the order against righties, but leave him in the #3 spot against lefties? Makes absolutely no sense...

AuroraSoxFan
03-29-2007, 12:21 PM
We will be seeing a ton of movement in the lineup. I doubt we will ever see the same order for more than 3 days in a row.

UserNameBlank
03-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Huh? It's against right-handers where Thome is an absolutely monster. That makes no sense. Ozzie is going to drop Thome against right-handers, but leave him in the #3 spot against left-handers? Is that a joke? That's the exact opposite of what he should be doing. Thome posted a 1.203 OPS against righties last year. That's .231 better than anyone else on the team! Dye was next with an OPS of .972 against righties. Against lefties, Thome had merely a .715 OPS, which was 6th in our normal lineup against lefties. Yet Ozzie is going to drop Thome in the order against righties, but leave him in the #3 spot against lefties? Makes absolutely no sense...
This is Ozzie Guillen we are talking about. After some of his decisions thusfar I really wouldn't be surprised.

Jerko
03-29-2007, 12:50 PM
We will be seeing a ton of movement in the lineup. I doubt we will ever see the same order for more than 3 days in a row.

Great.

ondafarm
03-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Against a righty, I have no problem with three lefties starting off and then two righties.

Against a lefty, I think a lot of things are going to vary in the lineup this year.

Iwritecode
03-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Huh? It's against right-handers where Thome is an absolutely monster. That makes no sense. Ozzie is going to drop Thome against right-handers, but leave him in the #3 spot against left-handers? Is that a joke? That's the exact opposite of what he should be doing. Thome posted a 1.203 OPS against righties last year. That's .231 better than anyone else on the team! Dye was next with an OPS of .972 against righties. Against lefties, Thome had merely a .715 OPS, which was 6th in our normal lineup against lefties. Yet Ozzie is going to drop Thome in the order against righties, but leave him in the #3 spot against lefties? Makes absolutely no sense...

It's simply because he doesn't want 3 lefties in a row. That's it. Nothing to do with their BAA lefties...

oeo
03-30-2007, 11:29 AM
It's simply because he doesn't want 3 lefties in a row. That's it. Nothing to do with their BAA lefties...

Well that's ****ing stupid on Ozzie's part. I hope it just came out wrong.

How about we just keep Erstad out of the starting lineup altogether...put Gooch where he belongs in the #2 spot, just switch Thome and Dye depending on who's pitching, and let Brian play. Or if Erstad really has to start, keep him out of the #2...why move Gooch?

Or...just keep the three lefties at the top; what's the big deal?

Jerko
03-30-2007, 11:43 AM
How about we just do what we did in the playoffs? Use the same ****in lineup all the time and rest people when needed. Seemed to work out well back then. (I know it's a much smaller sample size, but even last year we had WAAAAAAAY too many lineups........)

Craig Grebeck
03-30-2007, 12:10 PM
I like how Ozzie is moving Thome to accommodate Erstad. Completely stupid on his part.

sox1970
03-30-2007, 12:28 PM
I like how Ozzie is moving Thome to accommodate Erstad. Completely stupid on his part.

You need guys at the top of the order to get on base. Obviously he feels Erstad will get the job done, and Iguchi to be more of a run producer further down in the lineup.

Personally, I'd like Thome to bat 5th vs. lefties, and 3rd against righties. Opposite for Dye.

Craig Grebeck
03-30-2007, 01:56 PM
You need guys at the top of the order to get on base. Obviously he feels Erstad will get the job done, and Iguchi to be more of a run producer further down in the lineup.

Personally, I'd like Thome to bat 5th vs. lefties, and 3rd against righties. Opposite for Dye.
I tend to trust facts/statistics more than I trust the feelings of an often misguided manager. This is a disaster.

UserNameBlank
03-30-2007, 02:21 PM
I tend to trust facts/statistics more than I trust the feelings of an often misguided manager. This is a disaster.
http://igargoyle.com/archives/fanboy.jpg
This picture reminds me of Ozzie's lineup. I have no idea what is going on here.

Jjav829
03-30-2007, 02:30 PM

That's fine if he doesn't want three lefties in a row. But you don't Thome, by far the best of those three lefties, down in the order and keep the two crappy ones at the top. If he wants to break up the lefties, move Iguchi up.

And what makes it even worse is that the way that article was worded makes it seems like Ozzie is going to leave Thome 3rd against lefties, which is absolutely ridiculous because that's when Thome should be moved down in the order.

If Ozzie actually does this, it's the complete opposite of what logic says should be done. Even if you want to throw out their numbers, common sense says you don't move your best hitter against righties down in the order because you want to keep two crappy lefties at the top of the order.