PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Pedro Martinez Question

soxfan13
03-28-2007, 01:10 PM
I was watching the Mets-Braves game at lunch and they had mentioned Pedro Martinez possibly not coming back until August. With that being said, What if he cant come back and decides to retire? Does he make the Hall of Fame and if Yes does he go in on the first ballot? IMO I would say yes but am on the fence on whether he is first ballot or not.

mrfourni
03-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Without looking at stats, and based on the fact that he was the best pitcher from '99-'03, I would say he is a hall of famer.

IndianWhiteSox
03-28-2007, 01:30 PM
I was watching the Mets-Braves game at lunch and they had mentioned Pedro Martinez possibly not coming back until August. With that being said, What if he cant come back and decides to retire? Does he make the Hall of Fame and if Yes does he go in on the first ballot? IMO I would say yes but am on the fence on whether he is first ballot or not.

I'm also aware of this as well as I think he could be a hall of fame pitcher like Koufax was despite the fact that he had a relatively short career. But I would say yes, because of the fact that he had a very good run and you know the east coast media will strongly help his cause for being in the hall of fame, since well fenway's dream moment.

chaerulez
03-28-2007, 02:49 PM
If Pedro isn't a first ballot HOF in the modern era who is? You have Maddux, Clemens, Smoltz, Glavine... I'd have to say Pedro is right up there with those guys.

churlish
03-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Pedro was the best pitcher in baseball for like 5 years. He had the filthiest stuff I've ever seen. He's in on the first ballot.

getonbckthr
03-28-2007, 09:22 PM
First ballot, no. Future ballot possibly, most likely.

Huisj
03-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Without looking at stats, and based on the fact that he was the best pitcher from '99-'03, I would say he is a hall of famer.

I peeked at the stats, and I'd say your right, and don't forget his 1.90 ERA and Cy Young award in '97 with Montreal.

Holy crap, from '97 through '04, he finished 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the Cy Young Voting except for in '01 when he missed half the season. That's a crazy streak.

NardiWasHere
03-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Like someone else sort of said.... If he isn't a first ballot hall of famer, than I don't know who is.

I can't think of a pitcher that was more dominant during my lifetime.

He also holds the all-time single-season record for throwing Don Zimmer to the ground.

MetroPD
03-28-2007, 11:20 PM
He also holds the all-time single-season record for throwing Don Zimmer to the ground.
And that solidified it for my own personal opinion. Not only the most dominating pitcher of the modern era, but the man can do a nasty two step Oh-Lay manuver too. He gets in.

TheVulture
03-29-2007, 12:55 AM
If Pedro isn't a first ballot HOF in the modern era who is? You have Maddux, Clemens, Smoltz, Glavine... I'd have to say Pedro is right up there with those guys.
Smoltz and Glavine were never as good as Pedro, and I consider them shoo-ins.

hose
03-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Pedro easily makes the HoF.

Just look at his stats in the AL w/Boston from 1998-2003. Completely dominating the American League the way he did was unbelievable.

Add in his years with Montreal and the Mets and he still has a lifetime .691 winning pct.

It's funny because in the early 90's I thought his brother was the real ace in the family. Plus I also thought the Dodgers came out way ahead in trading Pedro for DeSheilds.:redface:

skottyj242
03-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Whatever Sammy says is what I say.

soxfan13
03-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Whatever Sammy says is what I say.

If sammy jumped off the Sears Tower would you do that?

SoxfaninLA
03-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Pedro is a definite hall of famer. 3 Cy Young awards, 8 time all star, career ERA of 2.81 during the "juiced ball" era. Pedro dominated the American League from 98 till 2003 except for his injury plagued 2001 season. He would be first ballot for me if I had a vote.

Ziggy S
03-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Hall of Famer? Most definitely. First ballot-possibly, but if Cal Ripken gets it then Pedro is a no brainer. However, most sportswriters don't posses a working brain, so you have to wonder if Martinez doesn't get in on the 1st ballot.

PKalltheway
03-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Pedro's in. He was simply amazing during his prime years. I remember watching the 1999 All-Star Game and how he manhandled that insane NL lineup. That was a Hall of Fame moment from a Hall of Fame pitcher.