PDA

View Full Version : Best move of offseason (1976-77)

BeeBeeRichard
03-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Since it is impossible for some folks to evaluate the White Sox moves of this offseason until more data is in, here's a poll that should require no further statistical evidence. Best move of the 1976-77 offseason?

WhiteSox5187
03-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I think it's easily the Bucky Dent trade. Gamble was a key component of the '77 Hitmen and Hoyt was a huge part of '83...Zisk gave us one unforgetable year and that's about it from that trade. But those trades were well before my time.

IndianWhiteSox
03-28-2007, 03:33 PM
I think it's easily the Bucky Dent trade. Gamble was a key component of the '77 Hitmen and Hoyt was a huge part of '83...Zisk gave us one unforgetable year and that's about it from that trade. But those trades were well before my time.

Agreed, I mean who can make a trade that helps you on the present and the future. That's just amazing work by Roland Hemond. I just wish I was able to watch and experience Sox games in the 70's. Oh well, can't complain though about how they've done recently.

RhubarbStew
03-28-2007, 07:29 PM
That Bucky Dent trade broke my heart as a young lad. But, it brought me joy as a teenager.

TomBradley72
03-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Signing Royle Stillman

(We're still "Loyal to Royle"!:cool: )

Bucky F. Dent
03-30-2007, 02:17 AM
Much as I hate to admit it, trading my boy for Hoytt & Gamble turned into a pretty good move.

White Sox Randy
03-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I don't know. I was at a game once when Bee Bee Richard scored from second base on a fly ball to the warning track in center field !

I love Bee Bee. Where is he now ?

tick53
03-30-2007, 10:47 AM
The trade involving Hoyt worked out well. Too bad the Sox couldn't have taken it a step or two further.

gobears1987
03-30-2007, 11:12 AM
This is a no brainer, the Oscar Gamble/Hoyt deal.

chisox77
03-30-2007, 04:58 PM
In addition to the pitching Hoyt did for the Sox, his value in a deal with the San Diego Padres (in late '84 or early '85) brought Ozzie Guillen (SS, two-time AL all star, future World Series winning manager) to the south side, as well as Tim Lollar (decent LHP) and Louis Salazar (great utility player). There may have been another Sox player involved in that deal, but I tend to look at trades according to the future trading value of who is acquired. And Hemond made both of these deals! The White Sox did okay here.

:cool:

WhiteSox5187
03-30-2007, 05:24 PM
In addition to the pitching Hoyt did for the Sox, his value in a deal with the San Diego Padres (in late '84 or early '85) brought Ozzie Guillen (SS, two-time AL all star, future World Series winning manager) to the south side, as well as Tim Lollar (decent LHP) and Louis Salazar (great utility player). There may have been another Sox player involved in that deal, but I tend to look at trades according to the future trading value of who is acquired. And Hemond made both of these deals! The White Sox did okay here.

:cool:
Roland Hemond might be the best GM in the history of the White Sox...he's certainly in the top three.

johnr1note
03-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Signing Royle Stillman

(We're still "Loyal to Royle"!:cool: )

:rolling:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/royle_stillman_autograph.jpg

When Royle played for the Baltimore Orioles prior to coming to the White Sox, manager Earl Weaver used to delay Mark Belanger's first plate appearance. The ‘starting shortstop,’ batting second, was Royle Stillman -- a reserve outfielder. Weaver used the strategy six times in September of 1975, when Belanger was at the tail-end of a .226 season at the plate. Listed as the starting shortstop, the left-handed throwing (and hitting) Stillman batted leadoff three times and batted second three times, churning out three hits in six at-bats. As it turned out, those six "appearances" at shortstop represented the high point of Stillman’s career. Over the course of a brief major league tenure, Stillman didn’t prove any more dangerous as a hitter than the toothpick-swinging Belanger. In 155 major league at-bats with the Orioles and White Sox, Stillman compiled a not-so-robust batting average of .213 and a slugging percentage of .329.