PDA

View Full Version : BA and Molina make the cut; Wiki and Terrero sent down to AAA

WizardsofOzzie
03-28-2007, 09:13 AM
There was no major celebration planned by Brian Anderson for Tuesday night after he received the official news from Ozzie Guillen that he would break camp as part of the White Sox 25-man roster. Actually, the 25-year-old Anderson, usually full of bravado, didn't really know how to react after being named as the team's fourth outfielder.Right-handed reliever Ryan Bukvich and catcher Wiki Gonzalez were reassigned to Minor-League camp, with Gustavo Molina being added to Major League camp as the team's new backup catcher.At least Brian made the roster, but i still think he can flourish given the opportunity.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070327&content_id=1862784&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnered=rss_cws

Madscout
03-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Give me a break. Anderson should be starting, and that's it. The kid got 48 AB during spring training. 48! vs Erstad's 73. He bats .292 to Erstad's .301. This better be a platoon situation, so he can at least get some at bats in.

WizardsofOzzie
03-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Give me a break. Anderson should be starting, and that's it. The kid got 48 AB during spring training. 48! vs Erstad's 73. He bats .292 to Erstad's .301. This better be a platoon situation, so he can at least get some at bats in.
I don't mind if he's not starting. If Darin can handle CF, then fine, at least it's not Mack. The thing I'm most concerned with is how this will effect his mindset. Is this gonna turn him into a headcase or will his confidence remain high? :?:

chisoxmike
03-28-2007, 09:34 AM
I can't wait to hear all the people who wanted Anderson sent to AAA.

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

jabrch
03-28-2007, 09:34 AM

We face a lot of LHP in this division. Santana, Cliff Lee, Sabathia, Sowers, Maroth, Rogers, etc. BA will be a key piece to this team. I'm sure he will get 300-400 ABs. Ozuna too - he will be needed against LHP. This platoon should be fairly effective.

jabrch
03-28-2007, 09:35 AM

Were there a lot of people asking that BA be sent down? I missed that.

SBSoxFan
03-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Guillen explained how the White Sox tried to make trades to open a spot for Perez, but nothing ever materialized. Any speculation on who they would have traded to keep Perez on the roster?

Madscout
03-28-2007, 09:43 AM
I don't mind if he's not starting. If Darin can handle CF, then fine, at least it's not Mack. The thing I'm most concerned with is how this will effect his mindset. Is this gonna turn him into a headcase or will his confidence remain high? :?:

That's a big if for a guy who has not been in good health these last few years. I want Erstad to play, but not really that often. We need him healthy to back up pods. Also, BA is a better CF defensivly, and if we are going back to "grinderball" then that means pitching and d in my book.

WizardsofOzzie
03-28-2007, 09:45 AM
That's a big if for a guy who has not been in good health these last few years. I want Erstad to play, but not really that often. We need him healthy to back up pods. Also, BA is a better CF defensivly, and if we are going back to "grinderball" then that means pitching and d in my book.
Agreed. Give me 20 games or so before I form an opinion on who i would rather have in CF, but if i had to choose today it would be Brian. I just love the kid's potential, and how he flashes the leather

soxfan13
03-28-2007, 09:51 AM

I think Anderson is going to be very good but I will still stand by my comment earlier this spring that if he is only going to get 4 or 5 at bats a week and come in for defensive purposes late innings, then yes he should be sent down so that he can play regularly.

soxfanatlanta
03-28-2007, 09:57 AM
I think Anderson is going to be very good but I will still stand by my comment earlier this spring that if he is only going to get 4 or 5 at bats a week and come in for defensive purposes late innings, then yes he should be sent down so that he can play regularly.

I hate to agree on this one, but if BA is only going to be in a platoon situation, then let him tear it up in Charlotte until Erstad shows that he can no longer be an everyday player.

Jerko
03-28-2007, 09:58 AM
We face a lot of LHP in this division. Santana, Cliff Lee, Sabathia, Sowers, Maroth, Rogers, etc. BA will be a key piece to this team. I'm sure he will get 300-400 ABs. Ozuna too - he will be needed against LHP. This platoon should be fairly effective.

I don't know. I'd rather just see a set lineup against whoever is pitching. Last year's righty lineup didn't work out to well (Ozuna in Left, Widge or Alomar catching).......

2006 Sox with Ozuna starting in left 14-24
2006 Sox with Ozuna starting in left and Alomar or Widger in the game 8-15.

What's different this year? Molina instead of Widge/Alomar? I know losing Hall strikes a blow but this platoon stuff doesn't excite me. We'll see though. That's why they play the games!!!

ND_Sox_Fan
03-28-2007, 10:03 AM
As I said in the 5th starter debate, I don't want either player (Erstad or Anderson) to play poorly so that we are stuck playing the other. However, long-term and even short-term (given defense) Anderson is the guy I want starting.

If Erstad goes out there and has a career year, then great. I just don't want to see Erstad taking the at bats from Brian, if they are performing at the same level.

jabrch
03-28-2007, 10:05 AM
I don't know. I'd rather just see a set lineup against whoever is pitching. Last year's righty lineup didn't work out to well (Ozuna in Left, Widge or Alomar catching).......

What's different this year? Molina instead of Widge/Alomar? I know losing Hall strikes a blow but this platoon stuff doesn't excite me. We'll see though. That's why they play the games!!!

BA is a much better hitter than Pablo. Pablo won't get nearly the ABs. Catcher is a different story. You need to rest a guy like AJ, even if it means your team is worse off on days he doesn't play.

I normally dislike platoons - but we don't have one guy who clearly should be starting right now and getting 600+ PAs, so this is the best way to use the players we have.

infohawk
03-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I may be wrong, but I think that the intention is for an Erstad/Anderson platoon. That's fine by me. You get stellar defense with both, Erstad should be more effective because he presumably won't wear down as fast and the Sox should get more offense out of the position with the lefty-righty match-ups. It just makes sense to me.

What I will be curious to see is whether or not the Sox keep Eduardo Perez and let him DH and pinch-hit against lefities. This seems a little more important now that Toby Hall will be out for at best a month and at worst all season.

Well, never mind. I just read that the Sox released Perez. Too bad, I really thought we could use him against lefties.

infohawk
03-28-2007, 10:41 AM

I'll just suggest that the above records may have more to do with the pitchers the Sox were facing. Usually Ozuna played when a lefty was on the mound. The Sox hitters generally struggled against lefties. I can't say that Ozuna playing left was the reason the Sox went 14-24 (Although I'll give you the early game against the Royals when Ozuna did that ugly, ugly face plant on a wind-swept ball. Ouch!!!)

SBSoxFan
03-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I may be wrong, but I think that the intention is for an Erstad/Anderson platoon. That's fine by me. You get stellar defense with both, Erstad should be more effective because he presumably won't wear down as fast and the Sox should get more offense out of the position with the lefty-righty match-ups. It just makes sense to me.

What I will be curious to see is whether or not the Sox keep Eduardo Perez and let him DH and pinch-hit against lefities. This seems a little more important now that Toby Hall will be out for at best a month and at worst all season.

Well, never mind. I just read that the Sox released Perez. Too bad, I really thought we could use him against lefties.

If it's a strict lefty/righty platoon that's gonna be tough on BA given the quality left handers in the division.

Regarding Perez, Ozzie said they tried to make a spot for him via trade, but nothing materialized. I wonder who that trade would have involved? BA? Mac?

SBSoxFan
03-28-2007, 10:51 AM
BA is a much better hitter than Pablo. Pablo won't get nearly the ABs. Catcher is a different story. You need to rest a guy like AJ, even if it means your team is worse off on days he doesn't play.

I normally dislike platoons - but we don't have one guy who clearly should be starting right now and getting 600+ PAs, so this is the best way to use the players we have.

:?: In what way?

Dan Mega
03-28-2007, 10:59 AM
As I said in the 5th starter debate, I don't want either player (Erstad or Anderson) to play poorly so that we are stuck playing the other. However, long-term and even short-term (given defense) Anderson is the guy I want starting.

If Erstad goes out there and has a career year, then great. I just don't want to see Erstad taking the at bats from Brian, if they are performing at the same level.

You just pretty much summed up everything I was going to say. Unfortunetly, I think the given is that Erstad is going to take away the at bats from BA. Hopefully things will work out and both will do well.

WhiteSox5187
03-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm kinda conflicted here...I'm not a big fan of Brian Anderson but I'm not willing to totally dump the kid after one year...I liked signing Erstad as an insurance policy, but it looks like Anderson is the insurance policy for Erstad. I think they both will do well, but I think I'd rather see Anderson as our starting CF opposed to Erstad. But maybe some time off the bench and letting him get a couple of hits will help him build confidence.

Jaffar
03-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I intially loved the Erstad signing because I thought he was going to backup Pods and BA. I don't hate the signing now I just don't know if the guy can be a starter anymore at an outfield position but I'm wishing him the best and hoping that maybe we'll see a few Erstad in left BA in center games which would get BA more at bats.

IndianWhiteSox
03-28-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm kinda conflicted here...I'm not a big fan of Brian Anderson but I'm not willing to totally dump the kid after one year...I liked signing Erstad as an insurance policy, but it looks like Anderson is the insurance policy for Erstad. I think they both will do well, but I think I'd rather see Anderson as our starting CF opposed to Erstad. But maybe some time off the bench and letting him get a couple of hits will help him build confidence.

I feel the same way for the most part, but I guess there might be a very little positive coming out of this............That, if it continues like this throughout the year, then the Sox can sign Andruw Jones since he's venezuelan just like Ozzie.

maurice
03-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Any speculation on who they would have traded to keep Perez on the roster?

It's gotta be Mackowiak, right? Mark Gonzales recently reported that the Brewers wanted him.

I don't think that trading Anderson would free up a spot for Perez, because you'd have to replace him with a guy like Terrero who can back up CF.

INSox56
03-28-2007, 01:05 PM
''He's not platooning,'' Guillen said. ''He's going to see a lot of at-bats because there are a lot of lefties in this division. He's going to see a lot of playing time because of late moves. Late in the game, I might play him in center field. I might put Erstad at first base.
''I was the one shooting for [Anderson] to go back to the minor leagues to get more at-bats, but we're trying to win in 2007, and the best shot for that was him."

From the ST. What Guillen goes on to say after "he's not platooning" kind of contradicts what platooning really is. :?:

UserNameBlank
03-28-2007, 01:12 PM
From the ST. What Guillen goes on to say after "he's not platooning" kind of contradicts what platooning really is. :?:

I think that's Ozzie way of saying "I'm still going to start Erstad against LHP," in which case it wouldn't be a platoon, just stupidity.

hi im skot
03-28-2007, 01:14 PM
C'mon, Ozzie...

I mean, I was as frustrated with Anderson's performance offensively last year, but you gotta give the kid a chance...especially when the guy picked to start is an aging veteran who doesn't add anything defensively.

I, too, was initially excited about the Erstad signing, as he serves as a great back-up for Anderson and Podsednik. But giving him the starting CF job...

Questionable.

Hopefully Ozzie proves me wrong.

jabrch
03-28-2007, 01:19 PM
''He's not platooning,'' Guillen said. ''He's going to see a lot of at-bats because there are a lot of lefties in this division. He's going to see a lot of playing time because of late moves. Late in the game, I might play him in center field. I might put Erstad at first base.
''I was the one shooting for [Anderson] to go back to the minor leagues to get more at-bats, but we're trying to win in 2007, and the best shot for that was him."

Don't listen to what he says - watch what he does.

INSox56
03-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Don't listen to what he says - watch what he does.Agreed, but I don't see how you start Erstad over Anderson when both have comparable numbers and Anderson's defense is clearly better (we all saw what happens when you don't put the best defense out there). Granted, Erstad is better than Mack, but the logic still applies. I'm not a BA fanboy, I'm just looking at the facts and who should be starting. It is just spring training, but BA's OBP and walks were higher and Ks lower than Erstad. The move just doesn't make baseball sense at all in my opinion.

Jerko
03-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I did some reasearch about this "platooning" thing vs. left handers. When the Sox Opening Day lineup faced lefties last year, they went 7-2 (one of those games was against the Pirates but I counted it as the OD lineup). They were 31-34 overall against lefties. So, the "platoon" was 24-32 against lefties last year. 8 games under on a 90 win team. The OD lineup lost to 2 lefties all year (Lilly and Kazmir). None of them were named Sabathia, Santana, or Rogers. I still say you need to use your STARTERS against these tough pitchers no matter what. Here's the lefties whose teams LOST to the Sox opening day lineup in 2006: Sabatha, Santana, Robertson, Cliff Lee, Rich Hill, and Robertson again. OD lineup Never faced them again. I know CC got hurt and Santana started 0-3, but I think we hamstrung ourselves last year by being too "worried" about matchups. Put your friggin starters in there. And I'm not even counting all the "Mack in Center" losses or the "Gload plays first because our DH is hurt" drama. I also did an Ozuna exemplar (who I like, BTW). Sox were 8-5 against lefties when Ozuna DID NOT play, and 16-27 against lefties when he did. I know every player can't play every day, I know we had some injuries, and I know the pitching was subpar last year, but I really think the STARTING lineup should start together more than 21 times this year, unlike last year.
Take out a guy or 2 at a time, not a third of your starting lineup (Pods, AJ, and Erstad).

jabrch
03-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Agreed, but I don't see how you start Erstad over Anderson when both have comparable numbers and Anderson's defense is clearly better (we all saw what happens when you don't put the best defense out there). Granted, Erstad is better than Mack, but the logic still applies. I'm not a BA fanboy, I'm just looking at the facts and who should be starting. It is just spring training, but BA's OBP and walks were higher and Ks lower than Erstad. The move just doesn't make baseball sense at all in my opinion.

First off - I don't think anyone is "starting" in the traditional sense. I think we will see a platoon.

Maybe OG is looking at the lineup and is thinking that he needs a guy who can hit in the #2 spot. Maybe the answer is that Guillen likes what Erstad does as a #2 hitter and how he handles the bat.

Maybe it is about sending a message to BA that he needs to continue to work hard, not just when he is competing for his job?

Maybe Erstad is in really good shape and in Guillen and Williams expert opinions is poised to have a season like he did in 2004?

There are lots of reasons it could be - but in either case the term "starter" is one that is open to interpretation. It's not like Konerko is the starter and Mack is the backup - where Mack will hardly ever start. Don't get excited about the word "starter" in this case until we see how the innings are going to be split.

INSox56
03-28-2007, 01:57 PM
First off - I don't think anyone is "starting" in the traditional sense. I think we will see a platoon.

Maybe OG is looking at the lineup and is thinking that he needs a guy who can hit in the #2 spot. Maybe the answer is that Guillen likes what Erstad does as a #2 hitter and how he handles the bat.

Maybe it is about sending a message to BA that he needs to continue to work hard, not just when he is competing for his job?

Maybe Erstad is in really good shape and in Guillen and Williams expert opinions is poised to have a season like he did in 2004?

There are lots of reasons it could be - but in either case the term "starter" is one that is open to interpretation. It's not like Konerko is the starter and Mack is the backup - where Mack will hardly ever start. Don't get excited about the word "starter" in this case until we see how the innings are going to be split.Yeah I won't get too worked up until I see BA rotting on the bench with 5 ABs in April or something. But your point about the #2 hitter is what I had mentioned in another thread that I think it might hinge on how Iguchi does lower in the order. If he's gotta be moved back up to situational duties, then I believe we should see anderson back out there. Who knows.

maurice
03-28-2007, 02:51 PM

IMO, this is a huge part of the answer (though it's not a very compelling answer). About this time last year, Ozzie said that he wanted Anderson's glove in CF and didn't care if he hit. Shortly thereafter, it became apparent that Ozzie was greatly concerned with some odd notion of "favorable" offensive matchups. (How odd for a person with Ozzie's good-glove / no-hit playing career.) The current version of this may have him starting Erstad in CF as much as possible, even though he's an injury risk who can't hit lefties.

Misusing the #2 spot also is an odd obsession for Ozzie. He really, really doesn't want Iguchi there, even though he's the best candidate and has done a good job in that role. On a related note, Ozzie historically favored low-OBP guys for the #2 hole (himself, Valentin, Uribe). Now he wants to replace Iguchi with Erstad.

Finally, it seems that KW and Ozzie still disagree about Anderson's value. It appears that KW remains more of a BA supporter. For this reason, comments about what "the Sox think" or what "KW and Ozzie think" re. Anderson are misplaced, IMO. In any event, we definitely cannot predict Ozzie's future actions by looking at his statements to the media.

IndianWhiteSox
03-28-2007, 02:54 PM
I really want BA to get his act together and eventually become a star for the White Sox.

ondafarm
03-28-2007, 02:58 PM
I really want BA to get his act together and eventually become a star for the White Sox.

And I think that is exactly what this will do for him. He'll probably get about half the starts, almost all in CF. Ozzie will be rotating his three outfielders (Pods, Erstad and BA) a lot, playing his lefty righty matchups and trying to keep the best possible defense on the field. Dye will also occasionaly get a game off or two.

IndianWhiteSox
03-28-2007, 03:01 PM
And I think that is exactly what this will do for him. He'll probably get about half the starts, almost all in CF. Ozzie will be rotating his three outfielders (Pods, Erstad and BA) a lot, playing his lefty righty matchups and trying to keep the best possible defense on the field. Dye will also occasionaly get a game off or two.

All I know is that right now, I look really dumb in some of my predictions right now.
:(:

jenn2080
03-28-2007, 04:39 PM
What a crock. Brian should be starting and that is that. Ozzie really needs to get the chip off his shoulder. I am sure Erstad is great defensively, but Brian has solid defense. I am going on strike.

Tragg
03-28-2007, 06:46 PM
I hope Erstad works out.