PDA

View Full Version : What was the best offseason move?

santo=dorf
03-27-2007, 11:26 PM
With the roster pretty much set, looking back, what was the best move made by the Sox this past offseason? Please base this on your gut feelings and what you expect to happen over the player(s) time with the Sox.

JB98
03-27-2007, 11:28 PM
With the roster pretty much set, looking back, what was the best move made by the Sox this past offseason? Please base this on your gut feelings and what you expect to happen over the player(s) time with the Sox.

The McCarthy deal. We got two arms for one. That increases our odds that something good will happen.

BiggestFan14
03-27-2007, 11:28 PM
I really think the trade for Danks and Massett will really prove to be a great move. That's my pick.

EMachine10
03-27-2007, 11:33 PM
danks, baby

many forget he was a 1st round pick...serious potential and it appears to be coming in nicely.

DumpJerry
03-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Even though we lost him to injury, I still think Toby Hall was the best move.

I'd have to spend some time thinking about the second best move....

A. Cavatica
03-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Locking up MacDougal was crucial. He may be the closer by May.

Bob G
03-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Right now I would have to say signing Erstad

sox1970
03-27-2007, 11:42 PM
2 months ago I would have said the McCarthy trade was the worst move. Now I think it may be the best. Masset seems to be impressive to the higher ups.

While I think Danks probably needs more time in the minors, he does have that look of a top starter. Very impressive and has a ton of upside.

McCarthy will be just what Kenny described him as--serviceable.

JB98
03-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Now that I think about it a little more, maybe it was the Cotts trade. Addition by subtraction. :D:

Frontman
03-28-2007, 12:03 AM
The McCarthy trade. Danks is looking good, Masset might prove to be a great pickup down the road, and Brandon seems to be getting shelled terribly in ST.

Granted, the Sox pitching staff ain't doing that much better, but hey, on the surface, that looks good. However, like I said in the worst trade thread, who knows what this will bring. I just hope Danks is better than Javy of 06 (Hell, Javy BETTER be better than Javy of 06!)

thomas35forever
03-28-2007, 12:09 AM
I'll have to say the McCarthy trade. We traded a fifth starter for a better fifth starter.

WhiteSox5187
03-28-2007, 01:20 AM
I ripped the McCarthy trade when it happened and I might be ripping it again in June, but for now it looks like a good deal. But I think the Erstad signing is going to be a big thing for us.

IndianWhiteSox
03-28-2007, 02:13 AM
The McCarthy deal. We got two arms for one. That increases our odds that something good will happen.

I really think the trade for Danks and Massett will really prove to be a great move. That's my pick.

danks, baby

many forget he was a 1st round pick...serious potential and it appears to be coming in nicely.

Hell yea, who would've have thought that this guy:

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2006/09/10/yNh5oeRx.jpg

would get us a 5th starter and a relief help?

:wooty:

Jurr
03-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Last year I would get that queasy, Mike Jackson/Neal Cotts '04 feeling when McCarthy came in.

Danks and Masset? For nothing but hype? That's awesome.

soxinem1
03-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Last year I would get that queasy, Mike Jackson/Neal Cotts '04 feeling when McCarthy came in. Danks and Masset? For nothing but hype? That's awesome.

Alright, granted he had a bad September, but he was NOWHERE near as bad as those two. Cotts fell apart after his spot start and Jackson just lost his stuff.

And before you give Danks and Masset Cy Young awards just for showing up, let some time pass. McCarthy will be more than a 'serviceable' major league pitcher.

Until he got hurt, I thought the best move was Toby Hall and Sandy Alomar NOT coming back. Now, I wouldn't be suprised of a four-peat.

munchman33
03-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Where's Erstad?

Steal of the offseason.

jabrch
03-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Too early to know...but if Danks is as good as KW/OG seem to think, and Massett is effective in the pen, then that deal becomes tremendous.

Ask me in 2 years.

Dan Mega
03-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Right now? The Toby Hall signing.

In 2 years? Possibly acquiring Danks/Masset through the trade. This could be huge.

pmck003
03-28-2007, 12:21 PM
I think Erstad should do some good work. Guess you could say hes a bad acquisition if he keeps Anderson from developing, but you can't blame Erstad for that.

chisoxmike
03-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Cotts gone.

Not becuase we got Aardsma, but for the sole idea of not having Cotts on the team in 2007 makes me...:supernana:

I would've picked the Hall signing, but, well, you know...

MrRoboto83
03-28-2007, 12:25 PM

I second that.

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I certainly didn't think it at the time, but now I have to go with the McCarthy trade, with an asterisk. If Danks turns out to be as good as he's looked so far, it was worth it.

I would put the Gload trade at number two, because I liked Gload, but he wasn't going anywhere with Paulie at 1st. It was good that he got a chance to start and prove himself.

eriqjaffe
03-28-2007, 02:33 PM
I liked Gload, but he wasn't going anywhere with Paulie at 1st. It was good that he got a chance to start and prove himself.According to the Royals depth chart, he's behind Ryan Shealy:

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=kc

EMachine10
03-28-2007, 03:20 PM
I find it funny how so many people wanted KW's head when he traded McCarthy, but now that trade is the leading vote getter on this poll, and it's only what, about 4 months later.

I was for the McCarthy - Danks deal when it happened, and I am glad to say I still am.

I just hope people begin to realize that this trade magnifies the fact that the Garcia trade was more for Gonzo than it was Floyd. *side note: I am listening to Dark Side of the Moon right now* Floyd is a nice little project that could yield nice gains for us, but in a year and a half maybe, we could have a real nice lefty in Gonzalez just beginning his career, while we may be losing a lefty at the same time.

HawkDJ
03-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Well well, things have turned for KW haven't they. When you look back now, actually most of these moves were really great. Here's how I'd rank them

1) McCarthy for Danks/Masset
Two great arms for one that would never work in US Cellular Field is a steal.

2) Darin Erstad signing
We needed another centerfielder like UNC needed to make a shot Sunday.

3) MacDougal
Gotta keep another proven righty in that pen, just in case

4) Toby Hall
Assuming that injury did not happen

jabrch
03-28-2007, 03:43 PM
According to the Royals depth chart, he's behind Ryan Shealy:

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=kc

He's starting in LF against RHP.

ondafarm
03-28-2007, 03:49 PM

He adds a great deal of flexibility to the offense, helps tutor BA and provides a grinder attitude. A veritable steal.