PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Spring Training Broadcasts

Viva Medias B's
03-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Can the following be verified about the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network's 2007 Spring Training games?

They have all been Grapefruit League games.
They have all involved the Yankees and/or the Red Sox.I haven't tracked this, but it seems each time an ESPN spring training game is on one of the two criteria above is true.

MincHiaPettito
03-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Definately all Florida games. Almost the majority has been NYY/Bos. I think maybe once or twice they used the Mets instead :|

Its been ridiculous. It must come from above. There is no way a person can gush over and over about a team as they have. The worst was yesterday when they were talking about Matsusakza. They even interview Griffey and it was all about Matsusazaka, and Griffey was like ***?

That said, I will usually mute it and watch some, at least it is HD, good for when the Sox arent on

Jerry_Manuel
03-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm sure they try to do more Florida games because it's close to Disney/ESPN home base.

eriqjaffe
03-27-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm sure they try to do more Florida games because it's close to Disney/ESPN home base.If the Yankees and/or Red Sox moved spring operations to Arizona, ESPN would suddenly begin showing more Cactus League games.

cws05champ
03-27-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't know...I have just had it with ESPN. It's not just the Redsox Yankees thing(which is annoying throughout the baseball season), but just their general bias, attitude and tendency for their cross promoting BS. I hardly visit their website anymore because half of it is insider stuff and I'm not paying for sports information I can get on 10 different sites. Unless I have to watch it(like Sunday night baseball), I don't anymore.

MincHiaPettito
03-27-2007, 10:14 PM
I\'m sure they try to do more Florida games because it\'s close to Disney/ESPN home base.

But they want from mixing it up (they used to do some Sox games) to All Florida this year

BiggestFan14
03-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Definately all Florida games. Almost the majority has been NYY/Bos. I think maybe once or twice they used the Mets instead :|

Its been ridiculous. It must come from above. There is no way a person can gush over and over about a team as they have. The worst was yesterday when they were talking about Matsusakza. They even interview Griffey and it was all about Matsusazaka, and Griffey was like ***?

That said, I will usually mute it and watch some, at least it is HD, good for when the Sox arent onI only watched the Reds-Red Sox game because I am a huge Griffey Jr. fan, and I about puked when they brought up Matsusaka in the interview.

But Spring Training ESPN and regular season ESPN are the same, just NY and Boston.

dcb56
03-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Can the following be verified about the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network's 2007 Spring Training games?

They have all involved the Yankees and/or the Red Sox.I haven't tracked this, but it seems each time an ESPN spring training game is on one of the two criteria above is true.

While all of the games televised have been from Florida, not all of them have featured the Red Sox and/or Yankees.

But they want from mixing it up (they used to do some Sox games) to All Florida this year

I don't know why they haven't shown any Cactus League games, but my guess is becuase they don't want to interfere with their normal ATH/PTI/SC scheduling. I'm no media executive, but I can't imagine that any Cactus League game would draw as many viewers as their afternoon talk shows.

chitownhawkfan
03-28-2007, 01:33 AM
If the Yankees and/or Red Sox moved spring operations to Arizona, ESPN would suddenly begin showing more Cactus League games.

If these two moved to Alaska we would get the Eskimo league. Its all about the Red Sox/Yanks. I mean they even refer to the Red Sox as "The Sox". Its like Duke/UNC in NCAA basketball. It is unwatchable, stick with comcast sports net. I'd rather have crappy graphics and cheesy one liners than the corporate synergy of the disney company being shoved down my throat.

Different question, maybe I'm just being petty and I dont want to hijack this.

Could the White Sox try to protect the term "The Sox" under copyright law. Because if they could I would love to see them do it just to piss off the jokers at ESPN.

dcb56
03-28-2007, 07:30 AM
Could the White Sox try to protect the term "The Sox" under copyright law. Because if they could I would love to see them do it just to piss off the jokers at ESPN.

Yes, because we all know Red Sox fans don't also refer to their team as "the Sox" and ESPN never calls our Pale Hose the "the Sox".

Vestigio
03-28-2007, 10:34 AM
I was watching the Braves vs. Phillies game last week or so on ESPN.

I also had enough with Matsuzaka BS. Enough is enough already. Foolishly I had ESPN 1000 on the radio yesterday, and here comes the jackass Jim Rome saying that Matsuzaka shouldnt be worried about his last outing, in which he walked 5 batters, saying its only ST. But he, and many other mediots will continue to hype Matsuzaka even though its ST.

oeo
03-28-2007, 11:04 AM

That said, I will usually mute it and watch some, at least it is HD, good for when the Sox arent on

The guy hasn't even impressed me. :dunno:

I've got a feeling that he'll be alright the first couple of months or so, and then start getting shelled. Of course he'll make the All Star team for no reason, as well.

VenturaFan23
03-28-2007, 11:27 AM
I was watching the Braves vs. Phillies game last week or so on ESPN.

I also had enough with Matsuzaka BS. Enough is enough already. Foolishly I had ESPN 1000 on the radio yesterday, and here comes the jackass Jim Rome saying that Matsuzaka shouldnt be worried about his last outing, in which he walked 5 batters, saying its only ST. But he, and many other mediots will continue to hype Matsuzaka even though its ST.

I've had enough too and it's STILL only spring training. I guarantee that if he was pitching for any other team than the Red Sox/Yankees, we wouldn't hear a whisper about him.

HotelWhiteSox
03-28-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't know why they haven't shown any Cactus League games, but my guess is becuase they don't want to interfere with their normal ATH/PTI/SC scheduling. I'm no media executive, but I can't imagine that any Cactus League game would draw as many viewers as their afternoon talk shows.

There is ESPN2 though.

With the Twins yesterday they did briefly talk the Central. They both (Thorne and Buck Martinez I think) agreed that Indians are really overrated. Buck Martinez said he thinks the Sox will be better, he mentioned getting Danks and Masset and that they'll be used on the big league club this year, but nothing furthur. Then when asked about division winner, they said 'It's hard to pick between the Twins and the Tigers', which is fine, I don't get mad if someone doesn't think my team is going to win, but I'd at least like fair coverage. Though if you can't get that locally, not sure why I should expect it nationally (which has been better this year)

esbrechtel
03-28-2007, 10:11 PM
I have seen many Braves games on ESPN but I think that is because they play at ESPNs wide world of sports complex at Disney....

I want Mags back
03-28-2007, 11:22 PM
my guesses for reasons why

1. trouble of having a crew in AZ

2. Dcb's reason - wont cancel PTI, ESPN"s highest rated program

Whitesox029
03-29-2007, 08:45 AM
I watched a Pirates/Braves game on ESPN back in the first week of ST.