PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 3-28

Lip Man 1
03-27-2007, 03:02 PM
March 28, 1981 - The Sox deal pitcher Ken Kravec to the Cubs for pitcher Dennis Lamp. Over the next three seasons Lamp would do everything for the club... start, pitch long relief as well as close games. He’d toss a one hitter against Milwaukee in August 1981 then lead the "Winnin’ Ugly" 1983 champion White Sox with 15 saves in 1983.

http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/ag/7f/6f_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/DENNIS-LAMP-1982-TOPPS-AUTO-BASEBALL-CARD-PSA-DNA_W0QQitemZ8713136453QQcategoryZ73396QQrdZ1QQssP ageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

Lip

chisox77
03-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Lip, that was another good acquisition by the Sox in the early 80s. Lamp showed much potential as a Cub, and he did very well on the south side. Lamp may be one of the most underrated players in Sox history. Thanks for the gem.

:cool:

Note: I remember attending one of his best pitching performances in June of 1981, when the Sox were hosting the Blue Jays in a night game. He pitched eight beautiful innings of shutout ball, until the ninth. The contest was interrupted twice by heavy doses of rain. No worries, though. The White Sox prevailed, 6-2 (Lamp lost the shutout in the ninth - I can't remember, but Solame Barojas may have finished it). This was also the strike shortened season, where the Sox went 31-22 prior to the walkout.

chisox77
03-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Sorry, but my memory failed me. Barojas was not a part of the Sox until 1982, I think. But someone other than Lamp finished that game, just can't remember.

:?:

Gosox1917
03-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Sorry, but my memory failed me. Barojas was not a part of the Sox until 1982, I think. But someone other than Lamp finished that game, just can't remember.

:?:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA198106080.shtml

Thank goodness for baseball-reference. Kevin Hickey came in for the last out. All the other memories seem to be intact! :cool:

PaulDrake
03-28-2007, 09:57 AM
I kept waiting for Kravec to bust out and become the star that many thought he was capable of becoming. He wasn't the only one. Ross Baumgarten, Mike Proly, Rich Wortham, and Guy Hoffman were all going to be major contributors for many years. It didn't happen. I'm hoping that things work out better for at least one or two of the young "arms" we acquired this past off season, but I'm not holding my breath. The Sox have been down that path before.

SBSoxFan
03-28-2007, 01:07 PM
I remember seeing the 1-hitter on tv. I'm pretty sure he lost the shutout off that too, right --- a double, then 2 groundouts scored the run.

Lip Man 1
03-28-2007, 01:28 PM
The game was played on August 25, 1981. (August 25th is my birthday.)

Lamp took a no hitter in the 9th inning then lost it when Robin Yount blooped a double. The game was played at County Stadium.

Lip

Tragg
03-28-2007, 08:16 PM
I kept waiting for Kravec to bust out and become the star that many thought he was capable of becoming. He wasn't the only one. Ross Baumgarten, Mike Proly, Rich Wortham, and Guy Hoffman were all going to be major contributors for many years. It didn't happen. I'm hoping that things work out better for at least one or two of the young "arms" we acquired this past off season, but I'm not holding my breath. The Sox have been down that path before.
Don't forget the other 2 K boys - Jack Kucek and Chris Knapp.

We shoulda protected Vukovich.