PDA

View Full Version : More Flubsession: Cub Fans: Will They Ever Change?

Petch
03-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Allow me to begin by saying that I hate the Cubs. I know that some of you reading this may find that to be a stupid opinion. Sorry. I don't care. I have hated them all of my life. I grew up a Sox fan, but lived on the North Side and have dealt with the Cubs and Cub fans all of my life.

Every year, regardless of the team that they put on the field, is gonna be the year that they finally do it. If our Sox aren't looking good, I say that they don't look very good. That's not being negative, it's being realistic. All I ever want to hear a Cub fan say is, "You know what? We are probably not going to win the World Series" Is that too much to ask?

Now granted, this year may be an exception. After a record setting shopping spree this offseason, they do look pretty good on paper. But I'm getting guarantees from Cub fans now. It is not just that they think they will do well. They are guaranteeing playoffs. Why?

I'm ready for some criticism on my part for me letting this get to me so much, but there have to be people out there that feel my pain. Someone? Anyone?

ondafarm
03-27-2007, 01:13 PM
No, but they can be hunted down.

Jerko
03-27-2007, 01:15 PM
http://www2.eckerd.com/images/site/photos/oncall_headache.jpg

skottyj242
03-27-2007, 01:15 PM
What's the Score?

Mr.1Dog
03-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Pull one of these: :rolleyes: And walk away. Let them think whatever they want to think.

IndianWhiteSox
03-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I used to feel your pain as I also had to deal with numerous Cub fans growing up, but then I realized that over time, most Cub fans don't really know anything about baseball and they just like to be ignorant. Not to mention, 10/26/05 really put things into perspective. Just don't let the stupidity of Cub fans get to you and just remember that, if a fan base really believes in that fact that a Billy Goat is the reason why they haven't won in a century, then chances are, they're not worth taking seriously as baseball fans.

CHIsoxNation
03-27-2007, 01:22 PM
http://www2.eckerd.com/images/site/photos/oncall_headache.jpg

Exactly

AuroraSoxFan
03-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I used to feel your pain as I also had to deal with numerous Cub fans growing up, but then I realized that over time, most Cub fans don't really know anything about baseball and they just like to be ignorant. Not to mention, 10/26/05 really put things into perspective. Just don't let the stupidity of Cub fans get to you and just remember that, if a fan base really believes in that fact that a Billy Goat is the reason why they haven't won in a century, then chances are, they're not worth taking seriously as baseball fans.

That about sums it up. Definitely can't let yourself be bugged by people who are THAT ridiculous.

Iwritecode
03-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Now granted, this year may be an exception. After a record setting shopping spree this offseason, they do look pretty good on paper.

You're reading the wrong paper...

churlish
03-27-2007, 01:38 PM
I know several Cubs fans who want to release Prior and Wood . They wish Wrigley would be torn down so ownership would have to be more concerned with the product on the field. They are baffled by the Marquis signing and are frustrated by the team's inability to execute basic baseball fundamentals.

Likewise, I know some Sox fans who think Aaron Rowand is going to the HOF. They think Joe Crede is better than Alex Rodriguez, and they think any trade their GM makes is dumb. They think the front office is cheap and only concerned about money.

Listen, there are dumb Cubs and Sox fans. There are smart Cubs and Sox fans. The fanbase for any team in baseball is similar. The only difference is teams like the Cubs have a lot more bandwagon fans that only like the team because it's trendy to do so.

soxfan13
03-27-2007, 01:45 PM
I know several Cubs fans who want to release Prior and Wood . They wish Wrigley would be torn down so ownership would have to be more concerned with the product on the field. They are baffled by the Marquis signing and are frustrated by the team's inability to execute basic baseball fundamentals.

Likewise, I know some Sox fans who think Aaron Rowand is going to the HOF. They think Joe Crede is better than Alex Rodriguez, and they think any trade their GM makes is dumb. They think the front office is cheap and only concerned about money.

Listen, there are dumb Cubs and Sox fans. There are smart Cubs and Sox fans. The fanbase for any team in baseball is similar. The only difference is teams like the Cubs have a lot more bandwagon fans that only like the team because it's trendy to do so.

Very nicely said:gulp:

minutia
03-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Who cares if they change or not. You can take comfort in the fact that you are a fan of the consitently better team and not the adorable losers. No amount of Cub chest thumping can change facts. So, once again, let them have their moment. In a short time all of the money that was spent will amount to nothing and you cant sit back and bask in the failure to "buy" a world championship. That is what I plan to do with some of the casual Cub clowns I work with that have been attempting to ruin my day since they signed Soriano.

Chinese Warrior Sun Tzu said it best:
"If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.

dwalteroo
03-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Not to mention, 10/26/05 really put things into perspective.

I have a friend who's a Cubs fan, and a real fan - he knows a lot about the team and baseball generally, and lives out of state. Ever since the Sox won the WS, he's had a very difficult time talking about baseball at all with me. When we do, the conversation inevitably turns Cubs-vs-Sox, and it has gotten noticeably painful for him. I generally don't even wave the WS banner in his face, instead I joke about curses and toasts and the Cubune. But it really pains him. I think the Sox winning the WS first has led Cubs fans to think crazy things (above and beyond their normal patterns) - I mean, we are coming up on 100 years since they've won, and they cra*ped the bed last year in the worst division in baseball.

I don't think we realize just how much the Sox WS win eats away at a true Cubs fan's psyche. (Not that that's not awesome, by the way.)

cheeses_h_rice
03-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I work with a huge Cubs fan, and he can't stand Wood, Prior and the whole circus that is this team. He thinks they're headed for another mediocre year. So, there are realists out there.

tony1972
03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I have a friend who's a Cubs fan, and a real fan - he knows a lot about the team and baseball generally, and lives out of state. Ever since the Sox won the WS, he's had a very difficult time talking about baseball at all with me. When we do, the conversation inevitably turns Cubs-vs-Sox, and it has gotten noticeably painful for him. I generally don't even wave the WS banner in his face, instead I joke about curses and toasts and the Cubune. But it really pains him. I think the Sox winning the WS first has led Cubs fans to think crazy things (above and beyond their normal patterns) - I mean, we are coming up on 100 years since they've won, and they cra*ped the bed last year in the worst division in baseball.

I don't think we realize just how much the Sox WS win eats away at a true Cubs fan's psyche. (Not that that's not awesome, by the way.)

I agrees....Real true Cubs fans are not bad at all.....you can have some great baseball conversations with them..

It's the pseudo Cubs fans that are mildly annoying..this one guy just moved here from Michigan..and actually stated he wants to become a Cubs fan because he'd like to get into "that whole Old Style thing"...(actual words)...

Justagirl
03-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Every Cub fan I have ever met will be the first to admit that the Cubs suck.

The Critic
03-27-2007, 04:05 PM

The only thing I can add to this is that the Sox have gained some trendhoppers since 2005 as well.

DumpJerry
03-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Petch:
All I have to say is: "11:00 p.m., October 26, 2005. High bouncer up the middle over Jenks' head..............:D: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: "

Really, that inoculates us from anything Cub can say or do to annoy us.

Jose.Contreras
03-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Allow me to begin by saying that I hate the Cubs. I know that some of you reading this may find that to be a stupid opinion. Sorry. I don't care. I have hated them all of my life. I grew up a Sox fan, but lived on the North Side and have dealt with the Cubs and Cub fans all of my life.

Every year, regardless of the team that they put on the field, is gonna be the year that they finally do it. If our Sox aren't looking good, I say that they don't look very good. That's not being negative, it's being realistic. All I ever want to hear a Cub fan say is, "You know what? We are probably not going to win the World Series" Is that too much to ask?

Now granted, this year may be an exception. After a record setting shopping spree this offseason, they do look pretty good on paper. But I'm getting guarantees from Cub fans now. It is not just that they think they will do well. They are guaranteeing playoffs. Why?

I'm ready for some criticism on my part for me letting this get to me so much, but there have to be people out there that feel my pain. Someone? Anyone?

WOW. I think that we might be the same exact person. I am 10000% with you on your feelings towards that circus on the north side. Can you believe that most of the world believes that the Cubs are actually a baseball franchise? HAHAHAHA. I have blind hatred for the Cubs and I am very open about it too. I too live on the north side and even grew up in the north suburbs too. The fans are 97.5% morons.

thomas35forever
03-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Jerko, I'm borrowing your sig if you don't mind.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic1661_3.gifPlayoffs? PLAYoffs?

Red Barchetta
03-28-2007, 07:26 PM

Well said. My brother-in-law is a Cubs fan and has come to the conclusion that the only way their world will change is when the sheep stop showing up to support a bad product. He's really had some tough years lately. First, the Cubs blowing the NLCS to Florida, then blowing the Wild Card the next year only to see the Red Sox get in a win the World Series, followed by the White Sox and then the Cardinals winning the World Series. Sorry, but I have to laugh.... :D:

Imagine if the Red Sox would have played the Cubs in 2004 for the World Series title. We never, ever would have heard the end of it! The ballparks, the history, the best fans in the world, blah, blah, blah....

vegyrex
03-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Imagine if the Red Sox would have played the Cubs in 2004 for the World Series title. We never, ever would have heard the end of it! The ballparks, the history, the best fans in the world, blah, blah, blah....

If that ever happen thats when I'm praying for one of those killer asteroids to hit the earth. :tongue:

WhiteSox5187
03-29-2007, 12:54 PM
I have some friends who are misguided Cub fans, and they can talk realistically about the Cubs. They're excited for this year but will admit that they would finish dead last in any American League division etc.

Finally, I think one of the wonderful things about spring and baseball is that ANYTHING can happen. I tolerate all fans dreaming about the World Series before the season starts. That's part of the magic of baseball. In April, every team has a shot. Remember folks, it wasn't that long ago we were star crossed fans who were dreaming "We might have a shot this year..." I allow everyone the right to do that. Now come June if the team is ten games out and they're saying "Oh once we get Wood, Prior and Miller back..." then I say "No, you suck. Deal with it." But in spring? Hope blooms eternal.

IndianWhiteSox
03-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I have some friends who are misguided Cub fans, and they can talk realistically about the Cubs. They're excited for this year but will admit that they would finish dead last in any American League division etc.

Finally, I think one of the wonderful things about spring and baseball is that ANYTHING can happen. I tolerate all fans dreaming about the World Series before the season starts. That's part of the magic of baseball. In April, every team has a shot. Remember folks, it wasn't that long ago we were star crossed fans who were dreaming "We might have a shot this year..." I allow everyone the right to do that. Now come June if the team is ten games out and they're saying "Oh once we get Wood, Prior and Miller back..." then I say "No, you suck. Deal with it." But in spring? Hope blooms eternal.

That might be true, but even when common sense would have led to believe that they suck, they'll still say that they'll win the World Series.

jenn2080
03-29-2007, 01:14 PM
What's the Score?

What a headache

http://www.wackypackages.org/realproductsscans/3rd_2005/aleve.jpg

soxfan13
03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
That might be true, but even when common sense would have led to believe that they suck, they'll still say that they'll win the World Series.

So are fans from 29 other teams right now!:cool:

AZChiSoxFan
03-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Nov - March is the best time of year to be a Cub fan.

Nellie_Fox
03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
So are fans from 29 other teams right now!:cool:Not true. I just had lunch with mostly Twins fans. Everybody was picking the Tigers to win the Central.

pdimas
03-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Not true. I just had lunch with mostly Twins fans. Everybody was picking the Tigers to win the Central.

I wonder if they heard about The Gambler yet.

MarySwiss
03-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Today at lunch, a Sox fan friend told a terrific story. He was at the Sox/Cubs game at HoHoKam and he ran into a lady who was decked out in a bunch of Cub stuff--buttons, hat, t-shirt. He said she was tiny, looked to be about 90 pounds. Anyway they got to talking, and she told him she used to be really overweight, but then she went on her "Cubs diet." When he asked for more details, she said she only eats when the Cubs win.

Thank you; I'll be here all week. Try the chopped steak. :D:

RadioheadRocks
03-29-2007, 10:54 PM
What a headache

http://www.wackypackages.org/realproductsscans/3rd_2005/aleve.jpg

"HEAD-ON, apply directly to the forehead, HEAD-ON, apply directly to the forehead, HEAD-ON, apply directly to..."