PDA

View Full Version : White Sox a possibility for Zambrano?

JermaineDye05
03-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Although I see it highly unlikely and would rather go after Santana, I can't help but be a little intrigued.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070326cubsbits,1,2564264.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

soxfan13
03-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Lots of folks here wouldnt take Zambrano but I will!!!!

SoxxoS
03-27-2007, 11:01 AM

We call those people "unintelligent"

gobears1987
03-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Although I see it highly unlikely and would rather go after Santana, I can't help but be a little intrigued.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070326cubsbits,1,2564264.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)The money we are not paying Garcia can go a long way towards signing Johan. I would love to get him.

Zambrano is good too. I don't like the man, but he sure can pitch.

UserNameBlank
03-27-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't think so. Black and white can really do wonders for a player's image here. Look at AJ.

If the Sox let Buehrle go and signed Zambrano I'd be thrilled. That said, I think it's a pipe dream. Zambrano is going to be given a contract that JR wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Ditto for Mark too, unfortunately.

JermaineDye05
03-27-2007, 11:06 AM
The money we are not paying Garcia can go a long way towards signing Johan. I would love to get him.

Zambrano is good too. I don't like the man, but he sure can pitch.

Plus it doesn't hurt that Ozzie is good friends with Johan, and a lot of other Venezuelan players (i.e. Zambrano).

kidmccarthy
03-27-2007, 11:07 AM
The way I see it is this. Garcia is off the books. 11 Mil or so. Buerhle will be off the books. 10 Mil or so. Thats 21 Mil. Danks is in now. 4-5 years cheaper pitching. Sign Zambrano for 17-18 million for 5-6 years. If not, wait on Santana, when Garland will be off the books as well.

Jaffar
03-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Piniella was hit by a ball thrown by a fan wanting him to autograph it before Monday's game. He picked up the ball and tossed it back without signing.

Best fans in sports!

Dan Mega
03-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I'd take Johan over anyone in the MLB. He's the best, period. But having Zambrano couldn't hurt either as long as he could keep his cool.

FedEx227
03-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Pretty funny people here think the Sox have a chance of signing Santana.

Do you understand just how insane his contract is going to be? It will FAR surpass any contract we've ever seen.

This is a dominant... lefty....pitcher... in his prime.

Uncle_Patrick
03-27-2007, 11:20 AM

Zambrano pitches for the Cubs, therefore he obviously sucks.

Seriously, though, I'd take Santana first, but if the Sox could get Zambrano, I'd be all for it.

UserNameBlank
03-27-2007, 11:30 AM

Do you understand just how insane his contract is going to be? It will FAR surpass any contract we've ever seen.

I agree, and love the sig too BTW.

chisoxmike
03-27-2007, 11:33 AM

Most people can't differentiate between their fantasy/playstaton team and reality.

03-27-2007, 11:33 AM

And worth every penny

WhiteSox5187
03-27-2007, 11:35 AM
If we sign Zambrano, then that probably means that Buerhle will have to go, but ultimately, I'm willing to make that trade. The problem though is that Zambrano is going to be looking for some major money and a long term deal (as is Johan) and I don't think we're going to be willing to give him that kind of money and truth be told, I don't think we should.

jdm2662
03-27-2007, 11:35 AM
With the insane ass contracts pitchers are getting now, Santana is going to get about $25 million a year. Doubtful the Sox will be signing him.

As for the thread title, yes, I'm in favor of getting Zambrano, but it's probably going to be too pricey as well. The guy can pitch and plays the game hard. How can you not want that?

Thome25
03-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Sorry....not interested. Don't forget the last time the Sox signed a high-priced former Cubs pitcher: Jaime Navarro anyone??

soxfan13
03-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Sorry....not interested. Don't forget the last time the Sox signed a high-priced former Cubs pitcher: Jaime Navarro anyone??

Sorry, you cant even compare the 2!!!

churlish
03-27-2007, 11:59 AM

Don't forget that Jaime Navarro sucked. He had a career year for the Cubs, but he was awful everywhere else he went.

Zambrano has been good for awhile now and is young.

IndianWhiteSox
03-27-2007, 12:02 PM

Nobody was as bad as Navarro and not to mention, Kevin Tapani was traded for him.

Although, he wouldn't be bad as long as he doesn't waste 45 pitches to the #7 hitter and he doesn't get injured in one of those dumb celebrations. By the way, Santana is a free agent after '08, so they would have to unload a contract to sign both of them which is very unlikely.

FedEx227
03-27-2007, 12:14 PM
And worth every penny

Will he be worth every penny in 2014?

PatK
03-27-2007, 12:31 PM
One thing that has me wondering about Santana is how much pitching in the Rollerdome helps him.

I'm not up on his stats too much, but does it warrant consideration?

Dan Mega
03-27-2007, 12:37 PM

Who said they had a chance? I think myself and others were just speculating, but where did someone say they had a chance?

I'll wait.

soxfan13
03-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Nobody was as bad as Navarro and not to mention, Kevin Tapani was traded for him.

Although, he wouldn't be bad as long as he doesn't waste 45 pitches to the #7 hitter and he doesn't get injured in one of those dumb celebrations. By the way, Santana is a free agent after '08, so they would have to unload a contract to sign both of them which is very unlikely.

When has that happened?:?:

IndianWhiteSox
03-27-2007, 12:38 PM
One thing that has me wondering about Santana is how much pitching in the Rollerdome helps him.

That would concern a lot of GM's due to the fact that it really is a hitter's hell and a pitcher's paradise, especially with that background in CF. But nevertheless, he still is one of the best in baseball.

Iwritecode
03-27-2007, 12:45 PM

Last year he was unbeatable at home. Over his career though, he's been slightly better at home. Not enough of a difference to worry over. He's still a damn good pitcher no matter where he's throwing.

Sargeant79
03-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Will he be worth every penny in 2014?

Actually, he probably will. Both Santana and Zambrano have track records of being dominating for a few years now and they're both still young. If the White Sox hypothetically were going to give a contract for the stupid money and years that will likely be discussed when these two hit the market, I would feel more comfortable giving it to them than any other pitchers in baseball. Their track record combined with their age make them two of probably only 3-4 pitchers in baseball where the risk for a contract like that isn't too bad.

And just to be clear, I also think that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny personally and jointly delivering a winning lottery ticket to my house is a more realistic possibility than either of these two being signed as a free agent by the White Sox.

IndianWhiteSox
03-27-2007, 01:59 PM
When has that happened?:?:

Just a concern for the future, if Zambrano were to come to the Sox.

AuroraSoxFan
03-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I'd want either Z or Johan. But it is no secret that the Sox cap pitching deals at 3 years. They're both what 27 or so?? They're going to demand a lot more than a 3 year deal. Z will want about 5 years/90 mill at least. Johan will want 5-6 years/over 100 mill. Per year I could see Sox offering up a 3 year deal that would go neck and neck with that. But that offer would be immediately shot down for a longer one.

Uncle_Patrick
03-27-2007, 02:22 PM

The only point of comparison is that both played for the Cubs.

chaerulez
03-27-2007, 02:38 PM
I like it how Zambrano doesn't want to play for the Yankees. I would say Zambrano is worth a long term contract. Aside from his computer typing problem, he has been injury free in his contract. He's made at least 31 starts and pitched at least 209 IPs in each of his full seasons. I would have no problem with the Sox offering him a 6 year deal at 15-17 million per. A rotation for the next 4-5 years with Zambrano, Vazquez, Garland, Danks, and whoever would be great.

AnkleSox
03-27-2007, 03:00 PM
I highly doubt Cubs brass will allow themselves to be outbid by the White Sox. We know they're careless with their money and they don't want to be outdone by the Sox.

PennStater98r
03-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Piniella was hit by a ball thrown by a fan wanting him to autograph it before Monday's game. He picked up the ball and tossed it back without signing.

What's this nonsense doing in an article? More importantly, who gives a ****?

WhiteSox5187
03-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I was thinking that too, but like someone else said, the two can't be compared. Navarro was so much better.

But yea, I'm not so sure we should give him a Zito like contract cuz that's what he'd be asking for...

mccoydp
03-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Zambrano? I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Santana too, of course. :redneck

DickAllen72
03-27-2007, 06:48 PM
I'd take Zambrano in a heartbeat. Guys like that can play for the Sox anytime as far as I'm concerned.

TheOldRoman
03-27-2007, 07:58 PM
And worth every penny
Umm, that might be going a little far. He is by far the best in the game, but do you think he is worth $25 million? How much will he mean to the Twins, who will be stuck in 3rd or 4th place because he is their only decent starter? Would he be worth it to the Rangers? He might win 30 games with that offense, but the team would still lose 85 games. Would he be worth $25 million a year, at a time where only around 5 teams have payrolls above $100 million?

spiffie
03-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Umm, that might be going a little far. He is by far the best in the game, but do you think he is worth $25 million? How much will he mean to the Twins, who will be stuck in 3rd or 4th place because he is their only decent starter? Would he be worth it to the Rangers? He might win 30 games with that offense, but the team would still lose 85 games. Would he be worth $25 million a year, at a time where only around 5 teams have payrolls above $100 million?
Two ways to answer that:

1. In relation to his peers is he worth $25 million? On that count it would appear so. He is certainly to pitchers what Alex Rodriguez is to hitters.

2. Can a team justify spending $25 million on him? That depends on your team. If you're the Twins, perhaps because you don't want the first thing that happens in your new park to be losing the franchise cornerstone. For the White Sox, perhaps because we have so much young talent that we can slot in Santana's salary without harming the team. For some other team like those you mentioned probably not. But that's really a team-by-team question. I would say though if you told me in 2009 we could be spending $25 million on either Buehrle and Crede or Santana and Fields, I'd take the latter pairing in a heartbeat.

jenn2080
03-28-2007, 12:44 PM

I would take Z and go right out and buy a jersey.

skottyj242
03-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I would take Z and go right out and buy a jersey.

You've proabably got him on your fantasy team.

WhiteSox5187
03-28-2007, 12:59 PM
To sign Zambrano we lose Buerhle, I'd make that trade. But we might also have to give up Crede and Dye. So essentially the question is, would we be willing to trade, cuz that's essentially what we'd be doing, Buerle, Crede and Dye for Zambrano? I wouldn't. I'd give up Buerhle, maybe even Buerhle and Crede. But I don't think we have the money to sign both Dye and Zambrano.

jenn2080
03-28-2007, 01:01 PM
You've proabably got him on your fantasy team.

And Jenks. Be prepared to lose.

DumpJerry
03-28-2007, 01:38 PM
One advantage Santana has over Zambrano is knowledge of the AL batters.

It's interesting that Zamrano wants to play for a NL team so he can bat, but concedes he would like to play for Ozzie. Does that mean the Sox would get a home town discount from him?

Can you imagine if we had Zambrano and Garland together? They are both good hitters. We could wind up with the best road interleague record in the AL.

soxfan13
03-28-2007, 01:54 PM
One advantage Santana has over Zambrano is knowledge of the AL batters.

It's interesting that Zamrano wants to play for a NL team so he can bat, but concedes he would like to play for Ozzie. Does that mean the Sox would get a home town discount from him?

Can you imagine if we had Zambrano and Garland together? They are both good hitters. We could wind up with the best road interleague record in the AL.

Dont forget Vazquez and his career .215 average :cool:

skottyj242
03-28-2007, 01:56 PM

Please tell me you're kidding. What makes you think Garland is a good hitter? Because he hit one home run last year? I was at that game and he took some might big and disgusting hacks at the ball before he finally connected.

DumpJerry
03-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Please tell me you're kidding. What makes you think Garland is a good hitter? Because he hit one home run last year? I was at that game and he took some might big and disgusting hacks at the ball before he finally connected.
Garland swings a mighty stick.

ChiSoxIn06
03-28-2007, 05:32 PM
You guys forget the one aspect of Santana, it doesnt matter if he signs with the sox or not...as long as he goes outside the AL Central the sox benefit because thats about 5 or 6 games that they dont have to see him pitch, which is a very good thing. and for all this talk about the sox would have to dump salary to afford santana or zambrano, im pretty sure they could afford both of them if they wanted, its all a matter of whether reinsdorf wants to open the checkbook.

tick53
03-28-2007, 06:41 PM
I'd take that lunatic on the South Side any day. Won't happen though..

esbrechtel
03-28-2007, 10:15 PM
You guys forget the one aspect of Santana, it doesnt matter if he signs with the sox or not...as long as he goes outside the AL Central the sox benefit because thats about 5 or 6 games that they dont have to see him pitch, which is a very good thing. and for all this talk about the sox would have to dump salary to afford santana or zambrano, im pretty sure they could afford both of them if they wanted, its all a matter of whether reinsdorf wants to open the checkbook.

GREAT POINT!!!!!