PDA

View Full Version : Female Ump to call Major League game

Dan Mega
03-27-2007, 09:48 AM
I searched but didn't find a thread on this yet.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2007/03/26/bc.bbo.femaleumpire.exh.ap/index.html

I really like what Derrek Lee had to say about it, this guy is class regardless of the uniform he is wearing.

I'd rather have her calling the Sox/Texas games rather than Eddings (especially when Padilla is on the mound and AJ is at bat).

itsnotrequired
03-27-2007, 09:50 AM
http://www.corporateartists.com/images/keithhernandez.jpg

*observing silently*

PaulDrake
03-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Will she call the high strike?

spawn
03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Derrek Lee is a class act, and I agree with him...it is about time.

Martinigirl
03-27-2007, 10:46 AM
If she is good at her job, she should have any opportunity afforded a man. I hope she does well.

Luke
03-27-2007, 10:56 AM
If she is good at her job, she should have any opportunity afforded a man. I hope she does well.

Since when has being good at your job been a requirement of umps?

DarkHorse35
03-27-2007, 11:30 AM
How true

gobears1987
03-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Hopefully she will be better than Hunter Wendel*****.

What will be funny is to see if Ozzie would argue with her.

PennStater98r
03-27-2007, 12:22 PM
But, but - she shouldn't be umpiring because they use a lot of language that women shouldn't hear.

:bandance:

:rolleyes:

I want Mags back
03-27-2007, 12:25 PM
I just hope he doesnt suck like the female NBA ref

D. TODD
03-27-2007, 12:33 PM

What will be funny is to see if Ozzie would argue with her. I agree the only downside is when a manager jumps in a umps face and really gets after them, now they have to watch that as it will look very differently then a manger and a male umpire in a brouhaha to the general public. I would assume she will not be so aggressive in instigating confrontations as many of her pompous ass male colleagues are prone to do either though. I hope she does well, as every rookie ump is scrutinized very closely, and a good ump shouldn't be noticed much in a game, so after a couple of months if she is doing well this should be a non issue. Other then when the before mentioned argument is in order and a man jumping in a woman's face issue may come up.

ShoelessJoeS
03-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I'd rather have her calling the Sox/Texas games rather than Eddings (especially when Padilla is on the mound and AJ is at bat).I agree. Eddings is terrible.

What will be funny is to see if Ozzie would argue with her.She probably will be, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if/when Ozzie comes storming out of the dugout swearing up a storm.

PKalltheway
03-27-2007, 12:47 PM
She probably will be, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if/when Ozzie comes storming out of the dugout swearing up a storm.
Whoa boy, would that be interesting! If she made it this far though, I'm sure she would have no problem cussing right back at him!:redneck :tongue: Besides, it isn't like she's never had a manager argue with her before.

MincHiaPettito
03-27-2007, 12:48 PM
This will be awkward for arguments. I wonder which player will be the first to blame her as a distraction for doing a little window shopping. Maybe Pods can get an extra edge when stealing a base. Hopefully no weird hotel night occurences become public.

Martinigirl
03-27-2007, 12:50 PM
I would assume that if she has been in baseball for as long as she has, and worked her way up through the minors, she has heard it all before. I don't think you could be the only woman umpire and be an overly sensative flower that couldn't handle an arguement with a manager, Ozzie included.

ShoelessJoeS
03-27-2007, 12:54 PM
I would assume that if she has been in baseball for as long as she has, and worked her way up through the minors, she has heard it all before. I don't think you could be the only woman umpire and be an overly sensative flower that couldn't handle an arguement with a manager, Ozzie included.I'm not doubting that she couldn't, I'm only saying it would be interesting to see. Something different, ya know?

Martinigirl
Maybe Pods can get an extra edge when stealing a base. Hopefully no weird hotel night occurences become public.

Are you unable to do your job if there is an attractive woman around you? It is thinking like this that explains why there is only one woman trying to be an ump.

IndianWhiteSox

Why would that statement require teal?

I just hope that she doesn't get deprived of doing a regular season game because, "she's not one of the boys".

MincHiaPettito
03-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Are you unable to do your job if there is an attractive woman around you? It is thinking like this that explains why there is only one woman trying to be an ump.

Have you been around proffesional athletes?

Martinigirl
03-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Have you been around proffesional athletes?

Actually I have. And I am not sure what you are saying here. That athletes are sexist and would say things to her? I hardly think that would not be new for her since she is the only female in the field.

FedEx227
03-27-2007, 01:01 PM
I just hope he doesnt suck like the female NBA ref

Agreed. I'm not sexist, but Violet Palmer is the worst ref in the NBA, bar none.

chitownhawkfan
03-27-2007, 01:04 PM
I dont think she could or should work in a MLB game. I can't she how she has the presence to maintain order. In addition I think playing upper level baseball is important to truly understanding the game.

Martinigirl
03-27-2007, 01:06 PM
In addition I think playing upper level baseball is important to truly understanding the game.

Because, clearly, ovaries and a uterus prevent clear understanding of upper level baseball.

chitownhawkfan
03-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Because, clearly, ovaries and a uterus prevent clear understanding of upper level baseball.

It prevents playing the game, which is truly important to understanding it.

CLR01
03-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Who would have predicted that this thread would get stupid. :rolleyes:

I guess a man can't be a gynecologist or obstetrician.

Justagirl
03-27-2007, 01:16 PM

Its just an opinion. Not everyone is going to agree.
IMO, I think consistantly having a female around would change the whole dynamic of the game.

Jerko
03-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Who would have predicted that this thread would get stupid. :rolleyes:

I guess a man can't be an gynecologist or obstetrician.

And I'm sure every umpire played baseball. :rolleyes:

FedEx227
03-27-2007, 01:17 PM
It prevents playing the game, which is truly important to understanding it.

Better send the memo to about half of the MLB's GMs.

Brian Cashmen
Paul DePodesta
Theo Epstein
Mark Shapiro
Dave Dombrowski
Bill Bavasi
Jon Daniels
J.P. Riccardi
Josh Brynes
John Schuerholz
Dave Littlefield
Walt Jocketty

None of the above mentioned playing a sniff of pro-ball (majors or minors).

Jerko
03-27-2007, 01:18 PM
IMO, I think consistantly having a female around would change the whole dynamic of the game.

I agree. I can see all the jokes now if she ever threw somebody out of a game or made a bad call. It's not worth the circus it would become even if she does a great job and has a thick skin about stuff like that.

CLR01
03-27-2007, 01:19 PM

I don't and I'd bet once the game got started it would at best be an after thought that the umpire was a woman. Among the players and coaches anyway.

IndianWhiteSox
03-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Seriously, its not like she's going to give a smaller home plate for when podsednik(Not that it's my opinion, but I'm sure that if someone like Dergan thinks so then you have to at least believe it to some extent) is up or something. I mean, the only reason why this is a big deal is because of the hype it and negative attention(from some like Keith Hernandez) that is gets. Some of these people saying that they have gripes with this, are the same people who don't like the differences in our culture. I have no problem with a female ump in baseball.

pmck003
03-27-2007, 01:31 PM
This will be awkward for arguments. I wonder which player will be the first to blame her as a distraction for doing a little window shopping. Maybe Pods can get an extra edge when stealing a base. Hopefully no weird hotel night occurences become public.

I don't think it would be awkward if she fired back with some gusto - and could handle the trash-talk - like most other umps. Only awkward part would be on the players/managers and who is the first to get into a spat with her.

Other than that, agree with whats been said that if she is a good enough ump, she should hardly be noticed. Seeing that most pro athletes are older than 15 years old, they should be comfortable around females.

Justagirl
03-27-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't and I'd bet once the game got started it would at best be an after thought that the umpire was a woman. Among the players and coaches anyway.

Even the best umps are off on their calls occasionally.. and the most patient of players and managers tend to get a little ticked off at the oversight. Do you honestly think they would be as agressive/verbal with a female?
And if so, dont you think that would be damaging to their reputaion? Who wants to be the the MLB player who likes to bully women?

oeo
03-27-2007, 01:41 PM
She probably will be, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if/when Ozzie comes storming out of the dugout swearing up a storm.

There would probably about two weeks of how Ozzie hates women, and should be suspended, and possibly fired...blah, blah, blah.

Luke
03-27-2007, 01:44 PM
I dont think she could or should work in a MLB game. I can't she how she has the presence to maintain order. In addition I think playing upper level baseball is important to truly understanding the game.

Of the current MLB umps how many have experience as an MLB player?

If you want to be an MLB ump you're better off going to Joe Brinkman's ump school than you are understanding the game.

CLR01
03-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Even the best umps are off on their calls occasionally.. and the most patient of players and managers tend to get a little ticked off at the oversight. Do you honestly think they would be as agressive/verbal with a female?
And if so, dont you think that would be damaging to their reputaion? Who wants to be the the MLB player who likes to bully women?

Yes I do. Maybe I am naive but they a lot of things to worry about during a game and I doubt they will have very much time to dwell on the fact that one of the umpires is female. I don't think a pissed off Ozzie is going to pause before running out of the dugout to think about whether the person he is about to bitch out at third base is male or female and change his temper based on that. If he sees a bad call he is going to argue it. Same as any other player. Apparently her being a her hasn't been very disruptive at any other level she has worked so why would the major league be any different?

IndianWhiteSox
03-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Yes I do. Maybe I am naive but they a lot of things to worry about during a game and I doubt they will have very much time to dwell on the fact that one of the umpires is female. I don't think a pissed off Ozzie is going to pause before running out of the dugout to think about whether the person he is about to bitch out at third base is male or female and change his temper based on that. If he sees a bad call he is going to argue it. Same as any other player. Apparently her being a her hasn't been very disruptive at any other level she has worked so why would the major league be any different?

Thank you, I agree with that statement 100%

Justagirl
03-27-2007, 02:02 PM

Good points. :smile:
I know its just the one game, but it should be interesting to see if the atmosphere on the field changes at all.

gobears1987
03-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Whoa boy, would that be interesting! If she made it this far though, I'm sure she would have no problem cussing right back at him!:redneck :tongue: Besides, it isn't like she's never had a manager argue with her before.
She's had managers argue with her, but I doubt she's seen anyone like Ozzie.

I also now wonder what Hawk will say if he thinks the ump is calling a bad zone. Will he go on his usual rant?

Luke
03-27-2007, 02:42 PM
I also now wonder what Hawk will say if he thinks the ump is calling a bad zone. Will he go on his usual rant?

I would hope so, as long as it is about her performance. I'm sure she doesn't want to be treated differently than the rest of the crew. As long as there's no dumb remarks like the Celtics commentator made, I would hope she is subject to criticism like the rest of the umps.

IndianWhiteSox
03-27-2007, 02:56 PM
She's had managers argue with her, but I doubt she's seen anyone like Ozzie.

Just remember people, Ozzie is not the only guy to go nuts on a disputed call.

MincHiaPettito
03-27-2007, 03:01 PM

I agree. Plus the gender will be looked at as a factor of making good or bad calls. Like already in this thread where it mentioned that every male umpire is a pompous ass

Martinigirl
03-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I agree. I can see all the jokes now if she ever threw somebody out of a game or made a bad call. It's not worth the circus it would become even if she does a great job and has a thick skin about stuff like that.

You do realize the same arguments (if you change 'bad call' to 'bad play')could have been made about bringing Jackie Robinson into the league? Change is hard, particularly when it deals with changing discriminatory views long held by people. But in the end, assuming you believe in equality, it should be worth it.

ShoelessJoeS
03-27-2007, 03:07 PM
There would probably about two weeks of how Ozzie hates women, and should be suspended, and possibly fired...blah, blah, blah.What, no sensitivity classes?

chitownhawkfan
03-27-2007, 03:22 PM
You do realize the same arguments (if you change 'bad call' to 'bad play')could have been made about bringing Jackie Robinson into the league? Change is hard, particularly when it deals with changing discriminatory views long held by people. But in the end, assuming you believe in equality, it should be worth it.

You can't be seriously equating a female umpire with Jackie Robinson?

I didn't say had to play MLB but some level of fast pitch baseball beyond little league. How can that not help you to understand the game better? We are not mouth breathing troglodytes because we disagree so lets take it easy with the rhetoric.

Martinigirl
03-27-2007, 03:37 PM
You can't be seriously equating a female umpire with Jackie Robinson?

I am saying if you read your post, the wording is very similar to comments made at the time about Jackie Robinson when he started in the majors.

Discrimination is discrimination. Would one female umpire make the impact of Jackie Robinson? Obviously not. Would her possible hardship equal what he was put through? One would truly hope not. But if the arguments you use for her not getting the job are that it would cause a 'circus' or distraction and it may upset certain players and managers, that was the same logic used by teams that didn't want to be the first to hire a gifted athlete, who just happened to be black.

chitownhawkfan
03-27-2007, 03:46 PM
I am saying if you read your post, the wording is very similar to comments made at the time about Jackie Robinson when he started in the majors.

Discrimination is discrimination. Would one female umpire make the impact of Jackie Robinson? Obviously not. Would her possible hardship equal what he was put through? One would truly hope not. But if the arguments you use for her not getting the job are that it would cause a 'circus' or distraction and it may upset certain players and managers, that was the same logic used by teams that didn't want to be the first to hire a gifted athlete, who just happened to be black.

I never used these arguments, I based it on a lack of playing upper level baseball.

CLR01
03-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I never used these arguments, I based it on a lack of playing upper level baseball.

I can't she how she has the presence to maintain order.

What does that have to do with playing upper level baseball.

CLR01
03-27-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree. Plus the gender will be looked at as a factor of making good or bad calls. Like already in this thread where it mentioned that every male umpire is a pompous ass

Anyone who blames bad calls on gender is a moron.

Luke
03-27-2007, 03:51 PM
I didn't say had to play MLB but some level of fast pitch baseball beyond little league. How can that not help you to understand the game better? We are not mouth breathing troglodytes because we disagree so lets take it easy with the rhetoric.

There's two different issues here I think. Does playing at a higher level (however you define it) help your understanding of the game? Yes in many cases. It does not however, disqualify those who never played pro ball from having a very good understanding of the game.

Does an ump need to have played ball at a highlevel to meet minimum requirements to do his/her job?

No, they need to graduate from umpire's school. You can't get into and graduate from an MLB qualified umpire school if you don't have a requisite understanding of the game. Since she graduated, she cleary meets these requirements.

Jerko
03-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Well I'm sure most of today's umps never played pro ball. As for the female ump, I'm the one that said circus and I stand by it. If any manager, player or announcer ever calls her a bitch or says she threw somebody out of the game because it was "that time", we'll never hear the end of it with the way the media is now. Every game she works will be in the background and she'll be the center of attention. That is not saying she can't do a good job, but I'd rather not see it.

Martinigirl
03-27-2007, 03:54 PM

My mistake, that wasn't your post I was responding to.

But I still don't comprehend how you can believe that, based on gender, one can't comprehend 'upper level baseball'. Do you really believe that, in order to understand the game, you had to be a professional player? Do you think Boone Logan understands baseball better than Reinsdorf? Or is that not a valid comparison because they are both males?

spiffie
03-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Steve Palermo
Ron Luciano
Chuck Meriwether
John Hirschbeck

Here's a few names that also applies to. It seems a whole lot of MLB umpires don't have any real experience playing upper level from reading through the umpiring bios at mlb.com.

spiffie
03-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Well I'm sure most of today's umps never played pro ball. As for the female ump, I'm the one that said circus and I stand by it. If any manager, player or announcer ever calls her a bitch or says she threw somebody out of the game because it was "that time", we'll never hear the end of it with the way the media is now. Every game she works will be in the background and she'll be the center of attention. That is not saying she can't do a good job, but I'd rather not see it.
I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the NBA, but I'm assuming that someone has argued with Violet Palmer, and I haven't heard anyone protesting or calling for someone to be banned for doing so.

D. TODD
03-27-2007, 03:58 PM
I agree. Plus the gender will be looked at as a factor of making good or bad calls. Like already in this thread where it mentioned that every male umpire is a pompous ass Not every male ump, MANY current male umps. I don't see this as a male trait necessarily though, but more a result of MLB umps getting too big for their britches. I can't stand SOME of these umps who walk toward or provoke confrontations instead of walking away and avoiding conflict as used to be the norm. I see this new **** you attitude by MANY umps in MLB today to be pompous. They just happen to be all male, and if a newcomer avoided such behavior I think the violent arguments could be avoided, which would solve the only problem I could see with a female umpire and a male manager/player going nose to nose over a call.

Justagirl
03-27-2007, 04:11 PM

This is kinda what I meant when I said I think it would change the dynamics of the game. By no stretch of my imagination do I believe that the ambiance will be exactly the same.

MarySwiss
03-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Nice thread!

JGarlandrules20
03-27-2007, 09:06 PM
I can understand there being a lot of attention after she first made it to the majors, or whatever. But as long as she did her job without too many confrontations I really don't see her continuing to get all that attention. She cut her hair just because she didn't want to stand out as much. So, it's not like she wants to draw attention to herself.

Umpiring, in essence, seems pretty basic to me. Difficult, yes. But basic. It's mainly black and white. Not too much grey area. Balls and strikes. Foul and fair. As long as someone has the required experience, can call a game, and knows the rule book I really don't see how gender should factor into it.

dlee120
03-27-2007, 10:58 PM
I can understand there being a lot of attention after she first made it to the majors, or whatever. But as long as she did her job without too many confrontations I really don't see her continuing to get all that attention. She cut her hair just because she didn't want to stand out as much. So, it's not like she wants to draw attention to herself.

Umpiring, in essence, seems pretty basic to me. Difficult, yes. But basic. It's mainly black and white. Not too much grey area. Balls and strikes. Foul and fair. As long as someone has the required experience, can call a game, and knows the rule book I really don't see how gender should factor into it.

I am a high school baseball umpire and i feel there is a heck of a lot more to umpiring than balls and strikes, fair and foul, and safe and out. While those calls are black and white, rules interpretation is not, judgment calls are not. You are correct, it is difficult, and the premise of umpiring is basic, but there is far much more to it. Mechanics and signaling is one facet that many times go unnoticed. How will her colleagues accept her and communicate with her is unknown. Game management is another, how she deals with players and coaches can impact the game. Her being the only female in an all male profession (including players and coaches as well as other umpires) does factor in. Does she have the tough outer shell that is necessitated to be a quality umpire, or will she bark back every time she is barked at? I'm all for her making it to the big leagues, I just think her being a female will cause some issues at least in the beginning which may or may not subside.

Hokiesox
03-28-2007, 01:24 PM

I think people said the same about Jackie Robinson. The game needs another trailblazer. Didn't we almost have a woman GM a couple years ago? Good for this ump, I'm hoping she does well.

Hokiesox
03-28-2007, 01:26 PM
I am a high school baseball umpire and i feel there is a heck of a lot more to umpiring than balls and strikes, fair and foul, and safe and out. While those calls are black and white, rules interpretation is not, judgment calls are not. You are correct, it is difficult, and the premise of umpiring is basic, but there is far much more to it. Mechanics and signaling is one facet that many times go unnoticed. How will her colleagues accept her and communicate with her is unknown. Game management is another, how she deals with players and coaches can impact the game. Her being the only female in an all male profession (including players and coaches as well as other umpires) does factor in. Does she have the tough outer shell that is necessitated to be a quality umpire, or will she bark back every time she is barked at? I'm all for her making it to the big leagues, I just think her being a female will cause some issues at least in the beginning which may or may not subside.

She didn't make it be an instructor at Ump school for nothing. I'm confident her peers will accept her quickly and I'm also sure she has game presence.

--From one umpire to another.