PDA

View Full Version : Suhprise Suhprise. Dayn decides the top 10 ballparks.

DumpJerry
03-27-2007, 07:38 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6609590?MSNHPHCP&GT1=9232

:rolleyes: is all I have to say.

At least he prefers Midwesterners over East Coasters (another surprise)

Dan Mega
03-27-2007, 07:43 AM
*yawn* Dayn is another media troll. Wonder how much of a bonus check the Cubune slipped him.

mccoydp
03-27-2007, 08:03 AM
I love this quote:

"But, as with Wrigley, seeing a game there is a transporting experience..."

I got the same feeling, Dayn, when I went to see the Braves vs. Cubs on Day 2 of the season in 1993...I felt as if I had been transported to the inside of a large dumpster. :redneck

Risk
03-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Sorry, I am not going to waste my time and energy clicking that link to read that dip****'s boneheaded comments.

The only question I have is this--Did that numbskull deduct points from US Cellular Field b/c Podsednik is still playing LF?

Just think of all the grief that the Sox could have avoided if Pods would have just returned his phone calls.

Risk

SoXPriDe33
03-27-2007, 08:10 AM
isn't nestled close to an expressway and isn't gummed up with too much advertising.Doesn't Dayn know that Under Armour is in the outfield, and that they have the bud light bleacers?

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Interesting article. I have one question though:

Seeing a game at Wrigley and Fenway are transporting? Being cramped, uncomfortable and having partially blocked views makes it endearing?

I guess it's easy to write about how "transporting" it is when you write the article on your laptop, in a cushioned chair, from a glass walled air conditioned press box.

IndianWhiteSox
03-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Doesn't Dayn know that Under Armour is in the outfield, and that they have the bud light bleacers?

Newsflash! Dayn Perry knows absolutely nothing.

Luke
03-27-2007, 08:59 AM
The funniest part about park ratings is that most of the die hard Red Sox fans I know really don't like Fenway that much. They say it looks great on TV, but is terrible for watching a game. I've only been there once (which is enough for me) but I think it's a pretty fair assesment.

Dayn Perry continues to be an uniformed dope. Maybe he should wrote an article about why he doesn't like green seats.

Beer Can Chicken
03-27-2007, 09:12 AM
The Urinal actually is a cool stadium. Time to get over it people.

itsnotrequired
03-27-2007, 09:18 AM

Agreed. I certainly wouldn't rank it number one but I'd rather see a game there than the Tropicana Dome.

Vernam
03-27-2007, 09:24 AM
The Urinal actually is a cool stadium. Time to get over it people.I'll grant that it's perfect for its current use. That would be to provide a quaint backdrop for a team that wallows in its futility. It is a destination for casual followers of the sport, people who want an "experience" as opposed to, say, avidly watching a team that has a realistic chance of winning the World Series. The lack of modern amenities, the poor sightlines, and the inescapable smell of pee and vomit are supposedly unimportant, because the overwhelming sense of nostalgia is so "transporting." What happens on the field is secondary, at best. So yes, it's perfect. For the Cubs.

As for Perry's column (boy, was that ever phoned in), all I can say is: Miller Park?! :puking:

Vernam

rdivaldi
03-27-2007, 09:33 AM
The Urinal actually is a cool minor league stadium. Time to get over it people.

Fixed it for you...

DarkHorse35
03-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Why is Miller Park on there? i was less than impressed with it when I was there last summer. The brats I had there, while good, were nothing to write home about.

FedEx227
03-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Why is Miller Park on there? i was less than impressed with it when I was there last summer. The brats I had there, while good, were nothing to write home about.

I personally rank it as one of my favorite stadiums.

For one, the seating options are great. Any price range imagininable. Parking is cheap and easy. The stadium is amazing from the outside. The seats are sub-par, but I just think because of its value, location and look it's a great stadium.

Nellie_Fox
03-27-2007, 11:17 AM
It's just automatic for these guys. They don't even really give it any thought. Start any list with Wrigley and Fenway and you establish your "cred" as a baseball purist. Old is automatically good; time converts a nothing ballpark into a shrine.

WhiteSox5187
03-27-2007, 11:40 AM
I'll grant that it's perfect for its current use. That would be to provide a quaint backdrop for a team that wallows in its futility. It is a destination for casual followers of the sport, people who want an "experience" as opposed to, say, avidly watching a team that has a realistic chance of winning the World Series. The lack of modern amenities, the poor sightlines, and the inescapable smell of pee and vomit are supposedly unimportant, because the overwhelming sense of nostalgia is so "transporting." What happens on the field is secondary, at best. So yes, it's perfect. For the Cubs.

I'm not much of a fan of Wrigley, probably because I've been there enough where the charm wears off on me (but I loved Fenway when I was there), but really, if Old Comiskey was still standing it would probably be brought up consistently as one of the best parks in the league yet it would (and did) have the same problems as Wrigley and I don't think too many people would call it out.

That being said, it's time to tear down Wrigley, once concrete starts falling, it's time to say "You had a good run!" and tear her down. And THEN see how many people go to see the Cubs.

03-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Anyone who has ever been to AT&T Park would say that is #1. I guess he is overplaying the falling apart themes of the older parks.

vegyrex
03-27-2007, 11:53 AM

:tealtutor:

MincHiaPettito
03-27-2007, 12:04 PM

Back it up please? Old (things fall on you), no parking, great chance of sitting behind a pole, crap food, disgusting bathrooms, overpriced, crap product on the field, and everything that goes along with Cubbie culture.

MincHiaPettito
03-27-2007, 12:05 PM
That being said, it\'s time to tear down Wrigley, once concrete starts falling, it\'s time to say "You had a good run!" and tear her down. And THEN see how many people go to see the Cubs.

Which is why its not getting torn down. Though I would dread the media coverage if something like that would happen

bryPt
03-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Back it up please? Old (things fall on you), no parking, great chance of sitting behind a pole, crap food, disgusting bathrooms, overpriced, crap product on the field, and everything that goes along with Cubbie culture.

exactly.

skobabe8
03-27-2007, 12:08 PM
If you think thats bad then please dont look at his power rankings link. :smile:

Mr.1Dog
03-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Anyone who has ever been to AT&T Park would say that is #1. I guess he is overplaying the falling apart themes of the older parks.

I could not agree more with that statement.

IndianWhiteSox
03-27-2007, 12:12 PM

Fixed it for ya!

Back on topic, how can you compare old comiskey to "the shrine" when Old Comiskey actually had history, such as a '17 World Series Championship, '83 pennant, the World Series appearances, the Fisk's HR(the one that made him the oldest player to have a first 35+ HR season), disco demolition, etc. Where as Wrigley has had memories of choking in the post-season, numerous fan incidents, falling concrete, and etc.

goon
03-27-2007, 12:52 PM

I agree with a lot of people here, I've been to Wrigley Field and it's a great stadium in theory, but it's a pretty ****ty place to watch a baseball game. The ivy, the great backdrop of chicago apartments, the "nightlife" around the stadium and its historical status paint a fantastic picture. That said, there are few seats with good sightlines, the food is mediocre, the bathrooms are atrocious, it's small and cramped, which is probably the most annoying aspect of viewing a game there.

It's the type of place to walk by and say, "oh cool, Wrigley Field" and its a fun place to play in MVP baseball, but that place is a toilet in reality.

soxfan80
03-27-2007, 01:00 PM
PNC Park trumps ANY park. Hands Down. I wanted to tear it off it's girders and take it home with me after I went there. That's how much I love it.

I've heard That Pac Bell looks great for the Cameras, but try sitting in thier Upper Deck. With PNC, the upper deck felt like old comiskey's or wrigley's; so close to the action that even a seat in the back was pretty good. And the view of the Roberto Clente Bridge and Downtown is amazing.

spiffie
03-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Wrigley, much like Fenway, should be visited once by any baseball fan. It is a living monument to the way parks used to be constructed right in the heart of a neighborhood, its historic and its very pretty looking in the daytime.

Going there more than once however is an exercise in pure masochism. It sucks as a functioning ballpark.

Luke
03-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Wrigley, much like Fenway, should be visited once by any baseball fan. It's a living monument to the way parks used to be constructed right in the heart of a neighborhood, its historic and its very pretty looking in the daytime.

Going there more than once however is an exercise in pure masochism. It sucks as a functioning ballpark.

Very well said.

IndianWhiteSox
03-27-2007, 01:57 PM

Agree, it really is a great stadium to watch a game from regardless of the teams playing.

Beer Can Chicken
03-27-2007, 02:07 PM

It's a crappy stadium that is cool and worth seeing. I enjoy going to Wrigley and the neighborhood several times a year. As I've said in other threads before, I enjoy watching baseball and I appreciate the quiet that Wrigley offers. I am not a huge fan of the forced entertainment (loud music between at-bats, jumbo-tron games, etc) that modern facilities 'offer'. I also think that a stadium in the middle of a neighborhood (even if there are people I don't particualrly enjoy there) is a good and exciting thing.

nlentz88
03-27-2007, 02:20 PM
PNC Park trumps ANY park. Hands Down. I wanted to tear it off it's girders and take it home with me after I went there. That's how much I love it.

I've heard That Pac Bell looks great for the Cameras, but try sitting in thier Upper Deck. With PNC, the upper deck felt like old comiskey's or wrigley's; so close to the action that even a seat in the back was pretty good. And the view of the Roberto Clente Bridge and Downtown is amazing.

Agreed. I had a wonderful time at PNC Park. It's a wonderful setting to watch a game, especially at night with the bridge and downtown buildings lit up.

chitownhawkfan
03-27-2007, 02:30 PM
This is from the same writer who lamented the Yankees 7 year championship drought. Wrigley looks great on TV but blows in real life. My favorite park outside the Cell of course, is Miller Park. Cheap seats, great drinking, good time for all.

Scottiehaswheels
03-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Wonder how long it will take for Comerica to crack one of these best ballpark lists... Granted, its in a crappy neighborhood, but the park is very cool...

russ99
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
This is from the same writer who lamented the Yankees 7 year championship drought. Wrigley looks great on TV but blows in real life. My favorite park outside the Cell of course, is Miller Park. Cheap seats, great drinking, good time for all.

It's not that unfair of an article, at least after taking into account the Cubune-butt-kissing...

Objectively, I'd put U.S. Cellular about 8th or 9th on that list, and I'd put Fenway and Yankee Stadium above Wrigley due Cubs ad-friendly changes the last few years (ad boards and new seating behind the plate, Bud-light bleachers, Underarmor ad...) Fenway has none of these, except for the charitable fund ad on the Green Monster.

As for Wrigley, I agree it's a classic ballpark and it really seems like stepping into a time-warp when going to a game there. Unfortunately, the baseball, food and bathrooms seem like they're from 1920 too. :tongue:

If amenities (and winning baseball) were taken into consideration, I'm certain U.S. Cellular would be in the top 5.

goon
03-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Wonder how long it will take for Comerica to crack one of these best ballpark lists... Granted, its in a crappy neighborhood, but the park is very cool...

Agreed. I've always really wanted to go to Comerica, I'm going to try this year.

AnkleSox
03-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Why did he mention the cramped seats and bad views at fenway but say nothing of the sort about wrigley?

soxfan80
03-27-2007, 02:58 PM
It's not that unfair of an article, at least after taking into account the Cubune-butt-kissing...

Objectively, I'd put U.S. Cellular about 8th or 9th on that list, and I'd put Fenway and Yankee Stadium above Wrigley due Cubs ad-friendly changes the last few years (ad boards and new seating behind the plate, Bud-light bleachers, Underarmor ad...) Fenway has none of these, except for the charitable fund ad on the Green Monster.

As for Wrigley, I agree it's a classic ballpark and it really seems like stepping into a time-warp when going to a game there. Unfortunately, the baseball, food and bathrooms seem like they're from 1920 too. :tongue:

If amenities (and winning baseball) were taken into consideration, I'm certain U.S. Cellular would be in the top 5.Fenway is FULL OF ADS.
The GIANT budweiser sign. The Ckoe Bottle. The Sports Authority Ad on the monster. The ads all long the first and third base lines. The only good thing is that pretty much all the signs on the monster/outfield walls/baselines are white ads over green backgrounds.

DumpJerry
03-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Alright, here is Dumpjerry's (latest) bottom on ballparks:
Looking at ballparks from a team-neutral position, which ones would I rank high? As a baseball fan, I want the following at the ballpark: being able to watch the game with "reasonable" sightlines, being able to get information about the players in the game and being able to get information from around the Majors on other games that day.

I have not been to many MLB ballparks, so won't rank them because I cannot judge a park I have not been to.

Having said the above, I would rank Wrigley at or near the bottom. The scoreboard information is pithy and hard to locate. Camden is low because if you're sitting between First and the RF Corner, you cannot see the out of town scoreboard, esp. if the Sun is up and the main scoreboard does not convey a lot of information in a timely manner. I have not been to the Metrodome since 1984, but indoor stadiums are automatically disqualified from consideration for any quality because they go against God's Law of Outdoor Baseball. The Reds' ballpark rates high with me. So does Comiskey. Both met my criteria and are easy places to take in the game without having to work at obtaining the information I want during the game.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but if I'm paying $20-50 to get into a ball game, the ballgame is the experience I'm looking for, not a mosh pit party *cough* Bud-Lite Bleachers *cough*.

Nellie_Fox
03-27-2007, 03:28 PM
I have not been to the Metrodome since 1984, but indoor stadiums are automatically disqualified from consideration for any quality because they go against God's Law of Outdoor Baseball. There's still absolutely nothing good about the Metrodome. The turf is better than the concrete they had in there before, but that's "damning with faint praise." I don't know a single Twins fan who will be sorry to see it go.

DumpJerry
03-27-2007, 03:34 PM
There's still absolutely nothing good about the Metrodome. The turf is better than the concrete they had in there before, but that's "damning with faint praise." I don't know a single Twins fan who will be sorry to see it go.
When I was living up there in the '80's, my girlfriend at the time saw the Twinks play the Halos (this was after I decided I could no longer enter the building for baseball) one night. A thunderstom outside produced a micro-burst which popped the plugs in the roof and the roof started to deflate. :o: There were 2-ton speakers swaying over the playing field and seats! They had to quickly evacuate the place (into a driving t-storm) and the Twinks forfeited the game. The g/f said it was very scary, it felt like the sky was falling, literally.

IlliniSox4Life
03-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I don't hate Wrigley that much. It's certainly not the worst park in the majors. It has its' problems which have been previously mentioned, but there is something cool about an old park.

Dayn is a tool though. What upsets me more is Yankee Stadium at #5. I absolutely HATE Yankee stadium.

monkeypants
03-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Just because it doesn't deserve another thread, here's Dayn's power rankings.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/powerRankings

He's so awful that it's laughable. And once again he loves to crap on Pods.

Vernam
03-27-2007, 11:57 PM
When I was living up there in the '80's, my girlfriend at the time saw the Twinks play the Halos (this was after I decided I could no longer enter the building for baseball) one night. A thunderstom outside produced a micro-burst which popped the plugs in the roof and the roof started to deflate. :o: There were 2-ton speakers swaying over the playing field and seats! They had to quickly evacuate the place (into a driving t-storm) and the Twinks forfeited the game. The g/f said it was very scary, it felt like the sky was falling, literally.That's nothing -- I survived Disco Demolition night! :redneck

Seriously, I dread the Twinks' new stadium, because they're already a handful. Give 'em a revenue stream like that, and our run might be over when they move into their new home. Assuming it's not already over . . .

Vernam

IndianWhiteSox
03-28-2007, 12:19 AM
That's nothing -- I survived Disco Demolition night! :redneck

Seriously, I dread the Twinks' new stadium, because they're already a handful. Give 'em a revenue stream like that, and our run might be over when they move into their new home. Assuming it's not already over . . .

Vernam

If that Pohlad is a billionaire who stills is very stingy to say the least, then why the hell would he all of a sudden spend more money when they get the new stadium?

And another thing, part of the reason why the Twins are good at home is because of that god awful stadium. Once they move out, their advantage is gone.

Nellie_Fox
03-28-2007, 12:36 AM
If that Pohlad is a billionaire who stills is very stingy to say the least, then why the hell would he all of a sudden spend more money when they get the new stadium? Because the team has more income?

And another thing, part of the reason why the Twins are good at home is because of that god awful stadium. Once they move out, they're advantage is gone.They're = "they are", their = "belonging to them."

Yeah, they have a home field advantage with the dome, but everybody up here hates the place, so I'm not so sure that they'll lose the advantage by moving out.

soxfan80
03-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Because the team has more income?

They're = "they are", their = "belonging to them."

Yeah, they have a home field advantage with the dome, but everybody up here hates the place, so I'm not so sure that they'll lose the advantage by moving out.
polhad's cheap. he didnt increase payroll after 3 straight playoff appearances, even though it has shown they need just "that much" to get over the hump. attendance is around 2 million a year, in a "small market". no reason other than he's cheap as to why he dosent up the ante and try and win it all BEFORE they move into a new home.
as for the twinkiedome's advantages, yeah, the pitchers will feel it. ESPECIALLY Johan Santanna, who had 27 straight victories in there(not counting no-decisions). the team is built as pitching and defense with a lil' bit of power. a team built for a dome.

chitownhawkfan
03-28-2007, 01:21 AM
I think moving into a new stadium could be the worst thing that could happen. I mean how are they going to hit if they can't turn on the AC?

Ask a Twinkie fan if he thinks Pohlad will spend more money once the stadium opens. I guarantee you they say no. I mean the guy is 90+ years old and has billions of dollars squirreled away. At the same time he was trying to contract or move the team to make what would be to him chump change. Somebody should tell good ol Carl that he can't take those $3 billion dollars with him to his next destination.

IlliniSox4Life
03-28-2007, 01:37 AM
Just because it doesn't deserve another thread, here's Dayn's power rankings.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/powerRankings

He's so awful that it's laughable. And once again he loves to crap on Pods.

My favorite part is his Yankee love Chien-ming Wang is out until late April, and Andy Pettitte won’t be ready by Opening Day. Pitching woes aside, the Yankees are still the best team in baseball. The gap, however, has narrowed.
Still the best team? Since when? Since they haven't won the World Series in a long ass time? How are they number one with their rotation, yet he says the Sox have major concerns about ours? :rolleyes:

Foxsports should just give his article space to the guys from the Dugout. They come up with much more funny jokes.

IndianWhiteSox
03-28-2007, 04:56 AM
Because the team has more income?

They're = "they are", their = "belonging to them."

Thanks professor for the grammar lesson, because you know me being Indian and all, there's no way I can speak proper English.
:rolleyes:

Seriously, now back to the topic, this man is already a multi-billionaire. Another few hundred million will not make a difference for him, whether they move into a new stadium or not. The fact is, he likes to be stingy and the twins will suffer because of it. Ask hitter's whether they like to hit there due to that god awful backdrop in CF, ask visiting position players whether they like to catch fly balls under that hideous roof, and ask Johan Santana, how great it is to pitch there. The bottom line is that once they move out, then they won't be able to even have that same home-field advantage in the new stadium, more revenue or not.

RadioheadRocks
03-28-2007, 02:28 PM
I love this quote:

"But, as with Wrigley, seeing a game there is a transporting experience..."

I got the same feeling, Dayn, when I went to see the Braves vs. Cubs on Day 2 of the season in 1993...I felt as if I had been transported to the inside of a large dumpster. :redneck

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

mccoydp
03-28-2007, 03:09 PM
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Much obliged! :D:

Seriously, it was my second game at Wrigley. I sat down in the first inning, and, at my feet, I saw garbage and a half-eaten hot dog. I wonder if my seat had been peed on as well.

IndianWhiteSox
03-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Much obliged! :D:

Seriously, it was my second game at Wrigley. I sat down in the first inning, and, at my feet, I saw garbage and a half-eaten hot dog. I wonder if my seat had been peed on as well.

What are you talking about? Why would you confuse the shrine with the "cell"?

:tongue:

thegooch
03-28-2007, 03:51 PM
My wife has the nights and weekends package at wrigley with one of her friends and I go to a couple of games a year. Her seats are in the UD right next to the press box, the average ticket price is $15 for 55 games. It is a sweet deal(for scrubs fans) as her seats are the cheapest in the place with a real good, unobstructed view of the entire field. Most of the people who sit in her section have been there for years and they really are there for the game.

I do, however, have some problems with the joint. First is trying to exit. It takes way to long to get out of that place when a game has ended and none of the workers make it any easier by directing people in the right direction. Secondly, the food really is crummy compared to USCF(although Beer Can Chicken loves the sport pepper options for the dogs and brats). Third, the bathrooms are a disgrace(although I give them more props than Soldier Field, where the in-door is directly next to the out door).

soxfan80
03-28-2007, 04:11 PM
My wife has the nights and weekends package at wrigley with one of her friends and I go to a couple of games a year. Her seats are in the UD right next to the press box, the average ticket price is $15 for 55 games. It is a sweet deal(for scrubs fans) as her seats are the cheapest in the place with a real good, unobstructed view of the entire field. Most of the people who sit in her section have been there for years and they really are there for the game.

I do, however, have some problems with the joint. First is trying to exit. It takes way to long to get out of that place when a game has ended and none of the workers make it any easier by directing people in the right direction. Secondly, the food really is crummy compared to USCF(although Beer Can Chicken loves the sport pepper options for the dogs and brats). Third, the bathrooms are a disgrace(although I give them more props than Soldier Field, where the in-door is directly next to the out door).So I take it your wife is a cubs fan?

tick53
03-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Didn't even have to open that link, but of course I did.:redface: . Like the man said: "Suhprise, suhprise".

Beer Can Chicken
03-29-2007, 10:03 AM

I do, however, have some problems with the joint. First is trying to exit. It takes way to long to get out of that place when a game has ended and none of the workers make it any easier by directing people in the right direction. Secondly, the food really is crummy compared to USCF(although Beer Can Chicken loves the sport pepper options for the dogs and brats). Third, the bathrooms are a disgrace(although I give them more props than Soldier Field, where the in-door is directly next to the out door).

Yes. Well not for brats. I also enjoy that that they offer tomatoes and relish so I can almost make a real Chicago style dog. Too bad the hot dogs taste like crap. At least I can drown out the taste with condiments.....

Rockman218
03-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Miller Park is an UGLY stadium! And i don't know what the hell Dodger Stadium is up there for. Neither of those hold a candle to the Cell.

Rockman218
03-30-2007, 07:05 PM
He has the Sox behind the Twinkies?! Besides Johan Santana, who do they got pitching?! Liriano's injured man.

Parrothead
03-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Miller Park is an UGLY stadium! And i don't know what the hell Dodger Stadium is up there for. Neither of those hold a candle to the Cell.

Agreed ! I was very dissapointed with Dogder Stadium. It looks so good on tv but it is not. And Miller is not much better. The best thing about Miller is the roof.

sullythered
03-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Is it just me, or does Dayne Perry's current picture look like a completely different guy than his last? Maybe he's a shapeshifter!:o: