PDA

View Full Version : Masset

MincHiaPettito
03-26-2007, 09:58 PM
I was pumped about our pen coming in, but now I hear coming in that we pretty much have 4 locks, one Masset. Has he been this dominating? I mean, he is a rookie. I would like comments from those who have seen him pitch. I dont want another Boone situation, so not sure about how you can say a lock.

I think Sisco will be okay, though I am hearing bad things about Aardsma, thought something would have been seen from him. The big 3 are great, but that bridge in between worries me, especially guys who haven\'t been good enough for the 5th spot are turning into pen castoffs. Thoughts.

ShoelessJoeS
03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
I imagine it being...

Sisco
Logan
Masset
MacDougal
Thornton
Jenks

If OG decides to take 12 pitchers, then I believe Aardsma will make it. I'm not sure if we need 3 lefties in the 'pen, it's just hard to look past Logan's Spring success compared to Aardsma. However, the one who is ultimately on the outside looking in, IMO, is Floyd.

Fungo
03-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Masset is legit. Power arm with quality secondary stuff. I like what I've seen so far from him and he's also coming off a huge Winter in Mexico.

HawkDJ
03-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Curious as to why there is no love for Aardsma anymore. He at least had a decent amount of sucess with the Cubs last year, compared to Logan who had none.

JB98
03-26-2007, 11:18 PM
Curious as to why there is no love for Aardsma anymore. He at least had a decent amount of sucess with the Cubs last year, compared to Logan who had none.

Aardsma has been ineffective this spring. People have cooled on him for that reason. I don't like Logan, though, and I see no need for three lefties.

I think what it will come down to is they need another guy that can throw multiple innings in the event a starter gets knocked out early. Is Logan that guy? How about Aardsma? If the answer is 'no' to both those questions, then I think they have to take Floyd.

HawkDJ
03-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Last I checked Masset hasn't been lights out either. It's hard to be effective in eight innings of spring training. Some people seemed to be raving about his stuff when we traded for him. Can't say I have personally really seen him pitch.

Sargeant79
03-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Masset has been okay, but not great. He's looked very good at times and didn't get it done others. Inconsistency is pretty much par for the course with most rookies though.

As for the rest of the pen, I'd personally like to see Sisco up, but I'd be pretty surprised if they decided to take 3 lefties. Logan is probably in, but he'll be sent down pretty quick if he has a lousy April, with Sisco potentially taking his spot on the roster if that happens. Floyd is probably the 6th guy, in part because I'm guessing they'd like to avoid having to use his last minor league option if they can.

JermaineDye05
03-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Masset has been overlooked a lot, he hasn't had a great spring but I don't like to judge pitchers too much in spring as their breaking balls tend to hang a lot and occasionaly they can get stuck with a bad ump as it is ST for them too. There's also B games that don't go towards their records in spring which many of us don't hear about. From what I've heard Masset has been pretty solid, and from all I've heard from Steve Stone he sounds like he's the real deal and could be a starter down the line.

mbwhitesox
03-27-2007, 12:51 AM
I think Floyd makes the team as the long relief man. They traded for him, they probably want to see what he can do at the major league level in the regular season. Sisco probably starts the season in AAA with an eye to replace Logan if he struggles like he did last year. It's good that we have some flexibility with our pen if anyone struggles. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing these fireballers in action!

oeo
03-27-2007, 12:54 AM
I think Floyd makes the team as the long relief man. They traded for him, they probably want to see what he can do at the major league level in the regular season. Sisco probably starts the season in AAA with an eye to replace Logan if he struggles like he did last year. It's good that we have some flexibility with our pen if anyone struggles. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing these fireballers in action!

Ozzie has already stated that he wants Logan for long relief.

The bullpen will be fine. I think it'll hit some rough patches early (so hopefully our SP steps up to the plate), but by June they'll be an unstoppable force.