PDA

View Full Version : 2002 All-star game ended in tie because pitcher too drunk

downstairs
03-26-2007, 04:44 PM
From Gammons:

http://www.seattlest.com/archives/2007/03/25/who_was_too_drunk_to_pitch_in_the_2002_allstar_gam e.php

Take it for what its worth. Kinda funny, actually. I'm confused as to who it could possibly be, though...

JohnTucker0814
03-26-2007, 04:53 PM
From Gammons:

http://www.seattlest.com/archives/2007/03/25/who_was_too_drunk_to_pitch_in_the_2002_allstar_gam e.php

Take it for what its worth. Kinda funny, actually. I'm confused as to who it could possibly be, though...

I don't believe it... all the pitchers were used in that game. If a manager was planning on bringing a guy that had already pitched back into the game, it had better have been a pitcher from HIS team. Had he done that to someone that was a rival, there would have been a lot of explaining to do.

So what if a pitcher was drunk, as long as he did his part in the game, nothing wrong with going to the clubhouse to have a few after you've been removed from the game...

Iwritecode
03-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Considering 2 starters (on their repsective teams) where still on the mound when the game was declared a tie, they could have continued to play another few innings had they wanted to.

Gammons = :dumbass:

DarkHorse35
03-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Considering 2 starters (on their repsective teams) where still on the mound when the game was declared a tie, they could have continued to play another few innings had they wanted to.

Gammons = :dumbass:
I concur

Vernam
03-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Was Freddie on the squad? :redneck

EDIT: Oops, then I actually read the story and realized he's suspect #1!

Vernam

santo=dorf
03-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Was Freddy (God, that misspelling is annoying) on the squad? :redneck

Vernam
Actually he was the last guy to pitch for the AL.

Vernam
03-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Actually he was the last guy to pitch for the AL.Freddie (okay, Freddy) might've started pounding brews on the assumption he was coming out of the game. Unless Gammons is completely off-base (what a shock that would be), seems like he must be referring to either Garcia or Padilla.

Vernam

Viva Medias B's
03-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Impaired pitchers is not unprecedented. Dock Ellis pitched a no-hitter for Pittsburgh against San Diego while allegedly high. Supposedly, he got high one day on the San Diego road trip because he originally wasn't scheduled to pitch that day. Alas, something happened and Ellis started that game and pitched a high no-no.

ShoelessJoeS
03-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Impaired pitchers is not unprecedented. Dock Ellis pitched a no-hitter for Pittsburgh against San Diego while allegedly high. Supposedly, he got high one day on the San Diego road trip because he originally wasn't scheduled to pitch that day. Alas, something happened and Ellis started that game and pitched a high no-no.David Wells' perfect game also comes to mind.

hi im skot
03-27-2007, 12:56 AM
Impaired pitchers is not unprecedented. Dock Ellis pitched a no-hitter for Pittsburgh against San Diego while allegedly high. Supposedly, he got high one day on the San Diego road trip because he originally wasn't scheduled to pitch that day. Alas, something happened and Ellis started that game and pitched a high no-no.

LSD (http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/ellis.asp), to be precise.

IndianWhiteSox
03-27-2007, 02:00 AM
It's an all-star game, who cares?

I really don't think the game would end because of that of all things.

More stupid crap from Gammons

DumpJerry
03-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Babe Ruth would hit McCuddy's between at-bats.

soxinem1
03-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Babe Ruth would hit McCuddy's between at-bats.

And Spaceman Bill Lee was known for his brownies and breakfast cereals that were known to give a nice buzz....................

PennStater98r
03-27-2007, 06:18 PM
I think Peter Gammons was too drunk to continue to report on the game...

Ziggy S
03-28-2007, 01:00 AM
And Spaceman Bill Lee was known for his brownies and breakfast cereals that were known to give a nice buzz....................
Don't forget about his "organic pancakes".

skottyj242
03-28-2007, 12:34 PM
It might have been a good thing because now the game means somehting. This time it counts.