PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Like Opening Day!

JohnTucker0814
03-26-2007, 04:37 PM
You know what... I'm sitting here at work and just can't concentrate. I'm so pumped for the opening of the baseball season! I'm a die hard baseball fan and there is nothing better than sitting in the stadium while the "new" roster is announced at Comiskey... and then sitting at home the week of opening day and watching all the day games!

MAN CAN IT BE APRIL ALREADY!!!!

What is it most you're looking forward to seeing in this opening week of baseball?

Personally I'm excited to see Danks' first start against the Twins. I mean talk about getting thrown into the fire. This kid gets his WS Debut against our bitter rivals... we'll see definately what this kid is made of right there in the first few innings!

Rocky Soprano
03-26-2007, 04:40 PM
I can't wait to walk up the concourse and "smell" baseball.
The grass, The polishes, The grilled onions, and the rest of the food.
It's an awesome feeling to walk in the park on opening day and knowing that baseball is back!

WS in 05
03-26-2007, 04:43 PM
You know what... I'm sitting here at work and just can't concentrate. I'm so pumped for the opening of the baseball season! I'm a die hard baseball fan and there is nothing better than sitting in the stadium while the "new" roster is announced at Comiskey... and then sitting at home the week of opening day and watching all the day games!

MAN CAN IT BE APRIL ALREADY!!!!

What is it most you're looking forward to seeing in this opening week of baseball?

Personally I'm excited to see Danks' first start against the Twins. I mean talk about getting thrown into the fire. This kid gets his WS Debut against our bitter rivals... we'll see definately what this kid is made of right there in the first few innings!

Well lets see there's opening day on Monday(don't have tickets but will watch from home)

Then theres Tuesday a day off rest

Then comes Wednesday day 1 of the season for me with my 27 game package.

Followed by Thursday for game 2 and something like my 21st birthday:gulp:

Then its up at 5 A.M. on Friday to head to Midway for a 7:30 flight to Las Vegas. Will lots of Hold Em interuppted by a 5:11 Sox-Twins game.

More poker and early baseball( two days worth)

Home late Sunday Night for one hell of a week:bandance: :bandance:

Needless to say I cannot ****ing wait for this week to be over:gulp:

Mr.1Dog
03-26-2007, 04:47 PM
The smell of the park upon walking in to the concourse; the onions and dogs. I also can't wait to see the rennovations in person. Pictures probably don't do the park justice. Also the excitement of what promises to be a good year for White SOx baseball. :gulp:

JohnTucker0814
03-26-2007, 04:49 PM
It's an awesome feeling to walk in the park on opening day and knowing that baseball is back!

Isn't it amazing how the "smell" of the ballpark is what is so great! I'm like a little kid on christmas eve, trying to stay up so I can see Santa... BASEBALL... CATCH THE FEVER NOW! (bring back those commercials!)

Rocky Soprano
03-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Isn't it amazing how the "smell" of the ballpark is what is so great! I'm like a little kid on christmas eve, trying to stay up so I can see Santa... BASEBALL... CATCH THE FEVER NOW! (bring back those commercials!)

And its funny how now my wife is equally excited for Opening Day. She says she CAN'T wait to have a dog at the park and some nachos. :D:

roylestillman
03-26-2007, 06:34 PM

Two years ago I overheard someone making the following pronouncement in the the parking lot, "Opening Day, Christmas and my birthday - in that order."

skobabe8
03-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Party at our place Sunday night!! Everyone at Mitchells is invited!!

:) :gulp:

rainbow6
03-26-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm a thrity-five year old man with a wife and two kids.

I take the first week of April off every year.

'Nuff said.

MincHiaPettito
03-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Nothing like opening day for me. I love watching as many games as I can (except during the Sox game). This is what will make me sad the most for the Extra Innings ordeal. I can take not being as mad at MLB if it is my cable companies fault, but this will suck for me, and Im not sure how great MLBtv would work on my computer. I sent this email hoping they\'d give some sort of free preview (could at least stay at school and watch):

To: orlinsky@majorleaguebaseball.com , bselig@majorleaguebaseball.com, budselig@majorleaguebaseball.com

Since you guys helped take away Extra Innings from those who don\'t have satellite as an option, please offer some sort of free preview of MLB.TV at the beginning of the season. 1 week, 1 day, whatever!

Extra Innings does this multiple times in the year. And I\'m not going to pay that much for MLB.TV when I can\'t be sure about quality,how the connection will hold up, if it lags a lot, any technical errors (which happened with MLB audio for a lot last year), ETC. Also, there is nothing better for a baseball fan then being home on opening day and being able to watch every game. It really hypes me up and makes me want to go to the game. It\'s like a national holiday for me, I take the day off. It is sad that this tradition for me may have to end. Please consider all these options and at least offer MLB.TV for free for at least opening day. It will be a great PR move too.

Please forward this to the appropriate parties. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Not sure what email addresses to include. May forward it to my cable company.

itsnotrequired
03-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Party at our place Sunday night!! Everyone at Mitchells is invited!!

:) :gulp:

I planned on taking Monday off weeks ago.

:D:

skobabe8
03-26-2007, 10:14 PM
I planned on taking Monday off weeks ago.

:D:

Might think about taking Tuesday as well. :cool:

itsnotrequired
03-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Might think about taking Tuesday as well. :cool:

Alas, I'm out of town the rest of the week on business so I'll be playing catch up next week. Besides, I'm taking half days on Wednesday and Thursday as well.:tongue:

chisoxfanatic
03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
What a fun week it's gonna be. Get home Sunday night from a business conference in KC, go to Opening Day on Monday, go to both the Sox game and Blackhawks Fan Appreciation Night on Thursday, leave for a nice weekend in Toronto before the sun rises Friday morning.

*PRAYING it's not 30 and snowing during the week*

GlassSox
03-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Just can't wait. I drive past the Cell twice a day commuting to and from work and it is driving me nuts waiting.

Wife and I have tickets for Monday, Friday, & Sunday and I can taste the beer already.

pdimas
03-27-2007, 11:29 AM
I can hardly stand it either. Especially with the weather being so nice. Having beautiful weather like this with no baseball is like a tease. My pops and I can't wait to get all of our tailgating junk together on Sunday before the game.

Justagirl
03-27-2007, 12:27 PM

My existance. :smile:

jabrch
03-27-2007, 12:31 PM
The first strike...there's something about the first strike that just cranks the crowd up just a bit more!

soxfan13
03-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I can hardly stand it either. Especially with the weather being so nice. Having beautiful weather like this with no baseball is like a tease. My pops and I can't wait to get all of our tailgating junk together on Sunday before the game.

Isnt it suppose to snow on Monday:D:

Thome25
03-27-2007, 12:35 PM

I haven't been to The Cell in a few years now but, I can still imagine the smell you're talking about.

I've been to other ballparks since I've been out east and NOTHING compares to the smell that hits you in the face at The Cell.

It's fresh grass, onions, and hot dogs. Man, it stays with you forever.

minutia
03-27-2007, 01:05 PM
I drive past there twice a day too and I cannot wait. They have started putting the banners back up on the lights.
My favorite thing is the smell as well. It is like I have not been breathing since fall or something like that, and I take that first deep breath there and it is like I am alive again. I also love the first pitch, especailly if it is first pitch STRIKE.

bryPt
03-27-2007, 01:18 PM
LET'S GO WHITE SOX!!!

Thanks, all this smell talk made me head over to Portillos so I can get a dog with onions on it (I hate onions but love that smell!), still not the same.

the best thing about the ballpark? Being in the middle of thousands of fans wearing Sox hats and not seeing one damn Cub logo. Living in Wrigleyville West (Glen Ellyn) makes for a long winter of Cub crap everywhere. The Cell is an oasis away from cubDUM I see day after day.

skottyj242
03-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Alas, I'm out of town the rest of the week on business so I'll be playing catch up next week. Besides, I'm taking half days on Wednesday and Thursday as well.:tongue:

I will be doing the same. Do you have to work Friday?

skottyj242
03-27-2007, 01:27 PM

Make sure you bring the bags.

IndianWhiteSox
03-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Usually when you think of cigarettes, hotdogs, grass, mustard all mixed together, you really don't want to think about it. But the minute you think of that stench, it reminds you White Sox baseball, well at least for me, that is.

Frontman
03-28-2007, 12:13 AM
I have to work Opening Day, so I won't even see the game televised (I might have my wife tape it) but I am so looking forward to this season finally getting underway. I love the whole opening day feel. I can't wait for yes, even Farmer and Singelton to start the broadcast. Bad radio means the White Sox are underway! :D:

I also love the fact that opening day almost feels like a national holiday. You get the red, white, and blue buntings, everyone believes their team is going all the way.

Growing up near old Comiskey, hearing the crowd as the game got underway, hoping to hear the fireworks go off. Man, I can't wait!

Front