PDA

View Full Version : The Riot is the Cubs' Savior?

Railsplitter
03-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Today's Daily Hearld was touting the fact Ryan (The Riot) Theriot has got himself in Lou Pinella's good graces. Could we be seeing him touted as the latest savior by Schlub fans? And how does a guy drafted out of college spend the better part of six years in the minors, especially a FUBAR club like the Cubs?

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
:whocares

If not him, then someone else in the sCrUBS organization.

The Critic
03-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Theriot's going to be a versatile guy for them.
He can fill in capably at any infield or outfield position, and he has shown some talent with the bat.
Hate him for being a Cub if you want to, but he seems comfortable and competent at the major-league level so far. Granted, it's a small sample size, but he showed some tools late last year and he's had a nice spring (.375 average, 5 walks, 5 steals, 5 doubles and 3 triples).
I'd be happy to have him on the Sox bench.

chaerulez
03-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Today's Daily Hearld was touting the fact Ryan (The Riot) Theriot has got himself in Lou Pinella's good graces. Could we be seeing him touted as the latest savior by Schlub fans? And how does a guy drafted out of college spend the better part of six years in the minors, especially a FUBAR club like the Cubs?

Please don't use that idiotic nickname. I don't know who started it, but I first heard it through Mike Murphy, which almost anything that comes out his mouth is idiotic. But Theriot is a decent player, if Dusty was still here he would be hard pressed to see 100 ABs, but Lou should give him a decent chance to earn good playing time.

UserNameBlank
03-26-2007, 05:12 PM

I thought Theriot was going to be the logical choice for them at 2B since he's a pretty solid player, but of course Hendry has to go out and spend for a marginal upgrade. I doubt anyone is going to tout him as a savior, but he's another home grown guy that isn't going to get a chance but deserves one.

LMAO, they are taking AB's away from Matt Murton with Cliff Floyd and not going to break with Pie because they need to fir all their overrated outfielders in the game. It's funny, because if they skipped on signing Floyd, DeRosa and Marquis and then started Murton everyday, Pie, Theriot, and Guzman or Marshall, they'd atually have a better team for about $14mil or so less per season - which is coming close to the cost of Barry Zito. LOL, stupidass Cubs.

DarkHorse35
03-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Hes a poor mans Tony Graffinino

RadioheadRocks
03-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Please don't use that idiotic nickname. I don't know who started it, but I first heard it through Mike Murphy, which almost anything that comes out his mouth is idiotic...

But then again having a feeble nickname foisted on you is par for the course with the Cubs. Let's not forget Karl Rhodes never had been called "Tuffy" prior to being christened on air by Harry Caray.

chaerulez
03-26-2007, 06:28 PM
But then again having a feeble nickname foisted on you is par for the course with the Cubs. Let's not forget Karl Rhodes never had been called "Tuffy" prior to being christened on air by Harry Caray.

I would say "The Horn" for Mark Bellhorn would be a better example, I don't remember who coined that, I think it was Chip Caray. I only say that because I'm pretty sure Rhodes used that nickname in his Astros days before he came to the Cubs.

StillMissOzzie
03-27-2007, 01:01 AM

Tuffy Rhodes! Now there's a name that brings back some major laughs!
My local news weekly paperboy was a staunch Flubs fan and we'd talk Sox/Cubs trash w/ each other, especially when he had to collect for the paper every month. I was buying baseball cards a lot then, for my son to know who was big around when he was born, in Jan of 1993, and I would tip him with Cubs baseball cards in lieu of ca$h.
Anyhow, Tuffy hit 3 HRs in the Cubs 1994 opener (although they lost 12-8), and I had to hear about this "phenom" every Wednesday for the next few months. As it turns out, Tuffy only hit 8 more in the rest of ('94 & '95)his Cubs career (with a MLB total of 16, IIRC), and he went off to play in Japan. Some phenom!

SMO
:gulp:

soxinem1
03-27-2007, 07:30 AM

I like him, I'd have no objections to him coming here if Iguchi leaves next year. Defensively he's far better than DeRosa and has good speed. He seems able to handle the wood as well.

Nothing wrong with that........

Except giving a career journeyman too much money and taking his spot at 2B from him. Hendry is an *%$#%$^&^*!!!!!

PatK
03-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Anyhow, Tuffy hit 3 HRs in the Cubs 1994 opener (although they lost 12-8), and I had to hear about this "phenom" every Wednesday for the next few months. As it turns out, Tuffy only hit 8 more in the rest of ('94 & '95)his Cubs career (with a MLB total of 16, IIRC), and he went off to play in Japan. Some phenom!

SMO
:gulp:

Tuffy has the most career home runs for a foreign born player in Japan, FWIW.

soxwon
03-30-2007, 11:35 PM

whats takin felix pie?

IndianWhiteSox
03-31-2007, 05:55 AM
whats takin felix pie?

soriano being in CF and not LF.

Bobapples1993
04-20-2007, 11:49 PM
He is a Darin Erstad with SKILL. :)

Ziggy S
04-21-2007, 07:47 PM
He is a Darin Erstad with SKILL. :)
:hawk