PDA

View Full Version : Lineup speculation

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-26-2007, 11:13 AM
I didn't see this in any other threads, and I was wondering what people thought about the projected lineup.

The article on cbs.sportsline.com gave this projected lineup:

1. Podsednik
2. Erstad
3. Thome
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Crede
7. Iguchi
8. Pierzynski
9. Uribe

This is lineup is heavy on lefties, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but we face a lot of good left-handed starters in our division. If it were up to me, I would slide Thome down to 5 and put Dye in 3. That would break up the three lefties followed by four righties.

I like Podsednik and Erstad at the top. I think Ozzie would have the flexibility to sit Podsednik occaisionally against tough lefties, and move Erstad to 1 with Iguchi 2.

Anyway, what does everyone think about the lineup?

twsoxfan5
03-26-2007, 11:17 AM
I didn't see this in any other threads, and I was wondering what people thought about the projected lineup.

1. Podsednik
2. Erstad
3. Thome
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Crede
7. Iguchi
8. Pierzynski
9. Uribe

This is lineup is heavy on lefties, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but we face a lot of good left-handed starters in our division. If it were up to me, I would slide Thome down to 5 and put Dye in 3. That would break up the three lefties followed by four righties.

I like Podsednik and Erstad at the top. I think Ozzie would have the flexibility to sit Podsednik occaisionally against tough lefties, and move Erstad to 1 with Iguchi 2.

I think that will be our standard lineup but I know Ozzie said that changes will be made when the Sox face tough lefties. I think he has already said that if we face CC on opening day that Ozuna will be starting in place of Pods.

Jerko
03-26-2007, 11:21 AM
I think that will be our standard lineup but I know Ozzie said that changes will be made when the Sox face tough lefties. I think he has already said that if we face CC on opening day that Ozuna will be starting in place of Pods.

No way. I can't see so many lefties in a row (4 of 5 batters if AJ bats 8th).. even if the other team starts a righty. One good left handed relief pitchers shuts us down... Especially when our "bat off the bench" is also lefty (Mack)... You know Ozzie doesn't like to PH for catchers in case of injury so I just can't see that many lefties in a row. That's why I would keep Iguchi in the 2 hole. I really don't want 2 exclusive lineups based on who is pitching for the other team.
Pods
Iguchi
Konerko
Thome
Dye
AJ
Joe
Erstad
Juan

that l,r,r,l,r,l,r,l,r. You could eat thru other teams' bullpens if they play matchups.

chitownhawkfan
03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Too many lefties, and Iguchi should be hitting second.

ShoelessJoeS
03-26-2007, 01:43 PM
No way. I can't see so many lefties in a row (4 of 5 batters if AJ bats 8th).. even if the other team starts a righty. One good left handed relief pitchers shuts us down... Especially when our "bat off the bench" is also lefty (Mack)... You know Ozzie doesn't like to PH for catchers in case of injury so I just can't see that many lefties in a row. That's why I would keep Iguchi in the 2 hole. I really don't want 2 exclusive lineups based on who is pitching for the other team.
Pods
Iguchi
Konerko
Thome
Dye
AJ
Joe
Erstad
Juan

that l,r,r,l,r,l,r,l,r. You could eat thru other teams' bullpens if they play matchups.Not a bad lineup, but I think it will go...

Pods
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
Dye
AJ
Crede
Uribe
Erstad

JohnTucker0814
03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Pods
Iguchi
Konerko
Thome
Dye
AJ
Joe
Erstad
Juan

that l,r,r,l,r,l,r,l,r. You could eat thru other teams' bullpens if they play matchups.

My opinion is this... why play the game for the last 2 innings? What does it matter if you have 6 lefties in a row, if that is where it is going to get you the best production, chances are you should have the lead before the 8th inning where you're going to eat through relievers. If you play to the 8th and 9th innings, your screwing yourself for the 1-7... You need to just put your best lineup there, regardless of L vs R. The only exception is when there is a tough lefty starting, a la Santana. Then you try to load up on the Right handers.

If Erstad is going to be the best #2 hitter in Ozzies opinion it should matter that he is LH... why waste Erstad in the #8 hole? Uribe batting after him, kind of defeats his bunting and baserunning skills...

russ99
03-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Ozzie batted A.J. ahead of Joe last season. I'd think he'd do it again to break up all the righthanders.

Here's my lineup, if I were the manager. :D:

1. Pods
2. Erstad
3. Dye
4. Thome
5. Konerko
6. Crede
7. A.J.
8. Iguchi
9. Uribe

Jerko
03-26-2007, 02:08 PM
My opinion is this... why play the game for the last 2 innings? What does it matter if you have 6 lefties in a row, if that is where it is going to get you the best production, chances are you should have the lead before the 8th inning where you're going to eat through relievers. If you play to the 8th and 9th innings, your screwing yourself for the 1-7... You need to just put your best lineup there, regardless of L vs R. The only exception is when there is a tough lefty starting, a la Santana. Then you try to load up on the Right handers.

If Erstad is going to be the best #2 hitter in Ozzies opinion it should matter that he is LH... why waste Erstad in the #8 hole? Uribe batting after him, kind of defeats his bunting and baserunning skills...

I agree, the best lineup should be out there ALL the time, but IMO, if you have a bunch of same-handed batters all in a row, it makes the team that much easier to pitch to. Even when Ozzie put in his all-righty team to face lefties; the Sox lost more of those games than they won. I think you hamstring yourself if you put a bunch of same-handed hitters in a row, ie Frank, Maggs, Carlos, and Paulie in days of yore. They were the 4 best hitters but needed to be broken up badly. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Thome should be benched for Cintron or Paulie benched for Mack just for some balance, but that first lineup in this thread wouldn't work IMO.

hi im skot
03-26-2007, 02:16 PM
So...no Anderson...?

It's hard for someone to improve at the plate if the at-bats aren't there.

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-26-2007, 02:31 PM
I would go with:

1. Pods
2. Erstad
3. Dye
4. Konerko
5. Thome
6. Crede
7. Iguchi
8. AJ
9. Uribe

I think Dye has the better makeup for a #3 hitter than Thome because he hits for a higher average and does not strike out as much. Granted, he didn't walk as much last year, but I think he would walk more in the 3 hole and the difference in strikeouts would be worth it.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 02:40 PM

1. Podsednik
2. Erstad
3. Thome
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Crede
7. Iguchi
8. Pierzynski
9. Uribe

What Ozzie's lineup probably should be(factoring in my opinion of his "toys"):

LF Ozuna R
CF Erstad L
RF Dye R
1B Konerko R
DH Thome L
2B Iguchi R
3B Crede R
C AJP L
SS Uribe R

My actual opinion:

LF Pods L
CF BA R
RF Dye R
DH Thome L
1B PK R
2B Iguchi R
C AJP L
3B Crede R
SS Uribe R

My reasoning, because I think that BA is able to take the next step, the way that Granderson did last year.

goon
03-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Assuming Anderson will be sitting, against Righties:

Pods
Erstad
Dye
Thome
Konerko
Iguchi
Pierzynski
Crede
Uribe

I'm not sure how Crede would do batting 8th, but I like the idea of IMO our three best hitters batting 3,5,6 with our a LH power bat in the middle in Thome.

FedEx227
03-26-2007, 02:48 PM
What it will be:

Pods LF
Erstad CF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Crede 3B
Iguchi 2B
AJ C
Uribe SS

What I would like to see:

Pods LF
Iguchi 2B
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Crede 3B
AJ C
Anderson CF
Uribe SS

UserNameBlank
03-26-2007, 06:02 PM
What it will be:

Pods LF
Erstad CF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Crede 3B
Iguchi 2B
AJ C
Uribe SS

Pods LF
Iguchi 2B
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Crede 3B
AJ C
Anderson CF
Uribe SS
Agreed 100%

Option #1 = ugly top of the order yet pretty much a lock
Option #2 = very solid, well balanced lineup that for some reason Ozzie doesn't want to use

We are going to see a ****load of 1-2-3 first innings this year.

KRS1
03-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Well after Iguchi vcarrying the top of the lineup today, I don't see any reason to move him out of the 2-hole. I can only hope Erstad is at the bottom of our order if he is a starter.

Jjav829
03-26-2007, 06:32 PM
I would go with:

1. Pods
2. Erstad
3. Dye
4. Konerko
5. Thome
6. Crede
7. Iguchi
8. AJ
9. Uribe

I think Dye has the better makeup for a #3 hitter than Thome because he hits for a higher average and does not strike out as much. Granted, he didn't walk as much last year, but I think he would walk more in the 3 hole and the difference in strikeouts would be worth it.

Let's clarify something about the Thome vs. Dye in the #3 hole debate. Dye does not "hit for a higher average than Thome." Dye hit for a higher average than Thome last year. Over the course of their careers, Dye is a .277 hitter. Thome is a .282 hitter. Dye has only had one season in his career with 60 or more walks. Thome hasn't played a full season with under 100 walks, well, ever. The only time he finishes with less than 100 walks is when he doesn't play a full season.

And let's not pretend like Dye is Albert Pujols when it comes to making contact. He struck out 118 times last year. That's a high number. Thome struck out 147 times. Thome was 11th in baseball in K's. Dye was 37th. Dye isn't exactly Mr. Contact himself.

And to address another point from a prior thread - For those worried about our middle of the order hitters being able to hit sac flys (and why in the hell anyone cares about the heart of our lineup hitting sac flys is beyond me), Dye had 7 sac flys last year. Jim Thome? 7 sac flys.

I'm all for playing fundamental baseball, and getting runners over, getting them in, etc. But this isn't something you do in the heart of your order. You don't base the middle of your lineup around which guy can produce more sac flys or which guy is less slow (neither runs like Jose Reyes). The job of the middle-of-the-order guys is pretty simply - produce runs. They do that by getting on base, driving runners in and, oh yeah, smashing the **** out of the ball as many times as possible. Thome has done that far better throughout his career, and there's no reason to believe he won't continue to put up those same huge numers. Dye, on the other hand, has had one season with an OPS over .900 since 2001 (last season), one season with more than 33 HRs (last season), one season since 2000 with more than 86 RBI (last season), one season hitting over .300 since 2000 (last season)...you get the point. Dye had a career year. If you can guarantee me that Dye has found the same ability as Barry Bonds to get better as he reaches his mid-30's, I'd be all for Dye batting higher than Thome. But unless he does that, Thome is the better hitter in the #3 hole.

I should note before I get a bunch of people calling me a "dark cloud," I'm not down on Dye. He's still a good player, but there's simply no reason to believe he will put up the same numbers this season as he did last season. If he does it, great. But it's far more likely he'll come back to something more along the lines of .290/32/95/.890. Still very good, but not better than what Thome will produce.

ondafarm
03-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I don't think there is going to be much of a "standard" lineup for the Sox this season. Against lefties you'll see more righties and against righties you'll see a lot of lefties. The Sox have a very flexible group of hitters with at least two guys capable in every order spot.

A few things I think are definite:

1) Lead-off guys will be: Pods, Erstad & Ozuna, in that order.

2) #2 hole guys will be Iguchi and Erstad, in that order.

3) Konerko will bat 4th whenever he's in the lineup, almost all the time.

4) Thome and Dye will bat 3rd and 5th. Who ever is hotter will bat third.

5) AJ will be used to break up a power string of righties (PK, Dye, Crede)

6) Crede bats in front of AJ when Thome drops to fifth.

7) BA and Uribe will bat at the tail end of the order, when they are in the lineup.

8) Cintron will also bat at tail end.

9) Mack will bat in whoever's spot he's taking over, as in if he's playing right spelling Dye, then he'll bat in Dye's spot.

10) Ozzie's get-away day lineup will infuriate most White Sox fans.

UserNameBlank
03-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Well after Iguchi vcarrying the top of the lineup today, I don't see any reason to move him out of the 2-hole. I can only hope Erstad is at the bottom of our order if he is a starter.
Same here.

I think in Ozzie's head be believes that Erstad will do well in the 2 spot because he can bunt and pull the ball to the right side of the IF when Pods is on base. The only problem is, if Pods has a pretty good year he might only get on base roughly 36% of the time. What use is Darin going to be there for the other 64% of the time when Pods doesn't get on base? Even still, if Pods gets on at a .360 clip, how many of those times will he get on with no one out to actually put Erstad into a "smallball" situation? At least Tadahito can hit. In 2005 when Hawk and DJ would rave about Tadahito sacrificing AB's for advancing Pods, he actually wasn't doing that stuff as often as our wonderful announcing team would have a person believe. The reason he has been a solid #2 hitter is because he is a very good hitter as it is and he just happens to be fundamentally sound.

JB98
03-26-2007, 08:39 PM
What it will be:

Pods LF
Erstad CF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Crede 3B
Iguchi 2B
AJ C
Uribe SS

Pods LF
Iguchi 2B
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Crede 3B
AJ C
Anderson CF
Uribe SS

I agree on what it will be. What I would like to see:

Pods LF
Iguchi 2B
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
AJ C
Crede 3B
Erstad CF
Uribe SS

Spread those lefties out through the order just a bit.

Tragg
03-26-2007, 11:30 PM
1) Lead-off guys will be: Pods, Erstad & Ozuna, in that order.

I don't doubt you; but ERstad and Ozuna rarely walk and have low OBPs (except in the rare year when their ground balls find an inordinate amount of holes). Ozuna has a career walk rate of an almost impossible to believe 3.3%. Ozzie used to lead off with Timo and his .280 OBP. These are bizarre choices for lead-off.

Others are talking like Iguchi has been demoted to 7th to make room for Erstad - Iguchi is a far better offensive player.

Ozzie was a slap hitter that didn't walk, so maybe he just has an endearment to similar hitters.
But we won the WS with ONE of this quality of offensive player on the team (Harris for his faults could run and could walk) - we now have 3 and if Terrero makes the team it will be 4.