PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Thinks The Possiblity OF Signing AROD In 2008 Is A Terrible Idea?

Thome25
03-26-2007, 10:04 AM
I just don't understand all of the AROD man-love here at WSI. I think that signing AROD is a terrible idea.

He would not fit chemistry-wise. Him and Ozzie do not get along. He is an arrogant, greedy, whiny little crybaby, and obviously has a me-first attiude.

He is a terrible fit for the White Sox. I just can't justify giving one player 25-30 mil per year and I hope KW doesn't either.

The White Sox will not have a payroll in the Yankees and Wrong Sox range. I hope they don't throw a pile of money at one player.

Sure, AROD puts up some nice numbers but, his lack of character and overall demeanor would be more trouble than it's worth.

I want to hear what you think.......Who Agrees? There's plenty of pro-AROD threads on here....now it's time for an anti-AROD thread.

itsnotrequired
03-26-2007, 10:06 AM
I just don't understand all of the AROD man-love here at WSI. I think that signing AROD is a terrible idea.

He would not fit chemistry-wise. Him and Ozzie do not get along. He is an arrogant, greedy, whiny little crybaby, and obviously has a me-first attiude.

He is a terrible fit for the White Sox. I just can't justify giving one player 25-30 mil per year and I hope KW doesn't either.

The White Sox will not have a payroll in the Yankees and Wrong Sox range. I hope they don't throw a pile of money at one player.

Sure, AROD puts up some nice numbers but, his lack of character and overall demeanor would be more trouble than it's worth.

I want to hear what you think.......Who Agrees? There's plenty of pro-AROD threads on here....no it's time for an anti-AROD thread.

Epic rant...

:rolleyes:

Dan Mega
03-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Anyone who doesn't get in to any trouble with the law and can hit .330/45/110 each year deserves to be looked at.

oeo
03-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Did I miss the whole 2007 season overnight? Is it the offseason already? No? Then why is there an offseason thread? :?:

Save this crap for November; let's focus on 2007 before thinking about 2008.

Thome25
03-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Did I miss the whole 2007 season overnight? Is it the offseason already? No? Then why is there an offseason thread? :?:

Good Point.....I can't wait for 2007 to start. But, there has been alot of AROD speculation in the NY newspapers lately.

That's why the AROD talk is so hot lately.

White Sox Randy
03-26-2007, 10:25 AM
I don't have any problems with AROD's personality or play.

But, I don't want the Sox to add a player that will make $20-25 mil. per season because they will be forced to let other key players go and replace them with inexperienced players.

This will not make the White Sox better. Besides, it's almost impossible to get a good deal with a BORASS client. A team almost always overpays for the talent.

eriqjaffe
03-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Besides, it's almost impossible to get a good deal with a BORASS client. A team almost always overpays for the talent.:crede
"That's right!"

PKalltheway
03-26-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't have any problems with AROD's personality or play.

But, I don't want the Sox to add a player that will make $20-25 mil. per season because they will be forced to let other key players go and replace them with inexperienced players.

This will not make the White Sox better. Besides, it's almost impossible to get a good deal with a BORASS client. A team almost always overpays for the talent.
That's the only thing I'm afraid of. Yeah, he would add a lot to the team, but something will end up suffering in the long run, most likely the pitching. The Sox would be stuck getting middle of the road, garbage pitchers, and in USCF, that ain't good.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 10:46 AM
What the hell is going on here?

Did people forget that the Sox already have a Borass client?

:crede

"Hi Guys!"

The real reason why I want A-Rod to sign is because if A-Rod signs, then that means Crede is locked up.

Not to hijack this dumb poll, but people should realize that if the Sox sign Ichiro, then the money they'll be able to gross off his marketability in Japan(ie, TV deal, merchandise, radio coverage, international exposure) then they should EASILY be able to have a $135-$150 million dollar payroll with out any cut of profits.

tick53
03-26-2007, 10:50 AM

Precisely, besides what number could he wear? #3 and #13 are taken.:D:

itsnotrequired
03-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Not to hijack this dumb poll, but people should realize that if the Sox sign Ichiro, then the money they'll be able to gross off his marketability in Japan(ie, TV deal, merchandise, radio coverage, international exposure) then they should EASILY be able to have a $135-$150 million dollar payroll with out any cut of profits.

Payroll will increase upwards of $50 million with Ichiro on the team? Maddness. Total madness.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Payroll will increase upwards of $50 million with Ichiro on the team? Maddness. Total madness.

You may think that, but he's one of the most marketed players over there not named Dice-K or Matsui. Maybe I might have exaggerated on the $50 million increase but payroll could easily be at around $125-$130 million if Ichiro signed with the SOX, while there would be a major increase in profit.

D. TODD
03-26-2007, 11:30 AM
A-ROD is high character and high talent. I don't get the A-Rod hating just because he is a beast on the field and he got a great contract. I would love to see him on the southside, but the price will be too steep. So I have no delusions of this having a real chance of happening.

areilly
03-26-2007, 11:31 AM

Just out of curiosity...how many times have you actually been in the White Sox clubhouse? I'm curious how you know so much about the Sox' team chemistry.

Steelrod
03-26-2007, 11:36 AM
There is little chance ARod uses his option to become a free agent. The 3 years left at $25 are guaranteed, and it is unlikely that a team would pony up $75 for three or more for more years. No matter what he thinks of NY, money has always been the overriding factor with ARod and Boras.
If anything, he would approve a trade to get out of there.

spiffie
03-26-2007, 11:44 AM
There is little chance ARod uses his option to become a free agent. The 3 years left at $25 are guaranteed, and it is unlikely that a team would pony up $75 for three or more for more years. No matter what he thinks of NY, money has always been the overriding factor with ARod and Boras.
If anything, he would approve a trade to get out of there.
He might not get quite as much per year (though even that seems unlikely) but he could probably get another 3-4 years of guaranteed huge money. The question is does he want a 3/75 or a 6/120 deal after this year, since that's really what he'll have to decide.

oeo
03-26-2007, 11:57 AM
The real reason why I want A-Rod to sign is because if A-Rod signs, then that means Crede is locked up.

Huh? That's exactly the opposite of what would happen. If A-Rod signed here, Fields will be our third baseman. You think just because Boras is both of their agents, he's going to give us a two-for-one deal, or what?

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Huh? That's exactly the opposite of what would happen. If A-Rod signed here, Fields will be our third baseman. You think just because Boras is both of their agents, he's going to give us a two-for-one deal, or what?

He wouldn't give us a two for on deal, but think about in this way for a second. A-Rod is Bora's client, just like Crede. If the Sox can't sign Crede to an extension, then why the hell would he even let the Sox talk to A-Rod? For all I know(which isn't a whole lot), there might even be a meeting right now between Boras, Crede and A-Rod, probably about him opting out and coming to Chicago if they sign Crede to the magic numbers. Let's face it, that would probably be the ONLY WAY that A-Rod comes to the Sox, is if Crede is signed to a long-term deal.

Railsplitter
03-26-2007, 12:13 PM
It's never a good idea to have one fifth of your payroll going to one guy.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 12:19 PM
It's never a good idea to have one fifth of your payroll going to one guy.

That's true, but at the same time, they probably won't spend that much money on the bullpen and assuming that KW, Coop, and OG really like the young prospects as much they claim, then I can see a situation where they give extensions to Dye, Buehrle, Garland, Iguchi, Crede and they would have to trade Contreras and Vazquez to even everything out. But what would that matter if the Sox sing Ichiro and become the most popular team in Japan by having another broadcasting deal in TV and Radio, while being the most marketed team in Asia.

Thome25
03-26-2007, 12:24 PM
He wouldn't give us a two for on deal, but think about in this way for a second. A-Rod is Bora's client, just like Crede. If the Sox can't sign Crede to an extension, then why the hell would he even let the Sox talk to A-Rod? For all I know(which isn't a whole lot), there might even be a meeting right now between Boras, Crede and A-Rod, probably about him opting out and coming to Chicago if they sign Crede to the magic numbers. Let's face it, that would probably be the ONLY WAY that A-Rod comes to the Sox, is if Crede is signed to a long-term deal.

The statement in bold proves my point. As for the rest....3 words: Not Gonna Happen.

Thome25
03-26-2007, 12:27 PM
That's true, but at the same time, they probably won't spend that much money on the bullpen and assuming that KW, Coop, and OG really like the young prospects as much they claim, then I can see a situation where they give extensions to Dye, Buehrle, Garland, Iguchi, Crede and they would have to trade Contreras and Vazquez to even everything out. But what would that matter if the Sox sing Ichiro and become the most popular team in Japan by having another broadcasting deal in TV and Radio, while being the most marketed team in Asia.

Why is it so hard for fans on here to understand that there's a good chance that the White Sox payroll will hover around 100 million and WILL NOT go into Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets territory.

Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. Is 100 million enough to field a very competetive team? Hell Yeah.

There's only a handful of teams that go crazy with the payroll. It would be wise for the White Sox not to commit too much payroll to a couple of guys.

WhiteSox5187
03-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Just out of curiosity...how many times have you actually been in the White Sox clubhouse? I'm curious how you know so much about the Sox' team chemistry.
Well, I have the sneaking suspicion that NO ONE here has spent lots of time in the Sox Clubhouse, so no one really knows about the chemistry, but from everything I've read about A-Rod (and I lived a year in New York, so I'm talking New York Times here, not NY Post) he's a clubhouse cancer. Nobody likes him in that clubhouse and to me, a humble observer, it seems like the Sox have a lot of chemistry in that clubhouse (while the Yankees have none) so screwing around with it could lead to an explosion.

Having said that, it's hard to over look a guy who puts up A-Rod's numbers, but he'll come with a hefty price tag and a lot of personal baggage and I'm not so sure that's a wise investment because he would cost us so much.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Why is it so hard for fans on here to understand that there's a good chance that the White Sox payroll will hover around 100 million and WILL NOT go into Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, Mets territory.

Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. Is 100 million enough to field a very competetive team? Hell Yeah.

Why is also so hard to understand that they could increase payroll to 110 million if they win the series again? I mean, only a few years ago, the SOX were a small market team with the payroll of $37 million.

Thome25
03-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Why is also so hard to understand that they could increase payroll to 110 million if they win the series again? I mean, only a few years ago, the SOX were a small market team with the payroll of $37 million.

110 million is still hovering right around 100 million isn't it? I think that the 100 million mark is the White Sox ceiling based on what KW has said and done thus far.

IMO The payroll will stay around 100 million.....give or take.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 12:40 PM
110 million is still hovering right around 100 million isn't it? I think that the 100 million mark is the White Sox ceiling based on what KW has said and done thus far.

IMO The payroll will stay around 100 million.....give or take.

Maybe, but if the SOX sign Ichiro, then from all the revenue from Japan, there's no way the payroll would be at around 125 million next year.

Thome25
03-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Maybe, but if the SOX sign Ichiro, then from all the revenue from Japan, there's no way the payroll would be at around 125 million next year.

Ichiro is another issue alltogether. We don't even know if the Sox will throw a ton of money at a guy who is getting older.

I'm not sure how the Japanese market would work. I know Ichiro is the Jordan of Japan.....but who knows, the market for Ichiro in Japan might not be what it once was especially for a guy who would be on his second team and is getting a little older.

He's not a new, fresh face entering MLB for the first time. The market (TV revenue etc.) might not dictate what it would for a Dice-K.

But, I'm not the one to be commenting on this issue. Also, if teams could be making the kind of money you say they do on Japanese stars why aren't more jumping to the MLB? Why aren't more teams falling over themselves to sign Japanese ballplayers?

skottyj242
03-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Can we play this season before we talk about the offseason?

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Ichiro is another issue alltogether. We don't even know if the Sox will throw a ton of money at a guy who is getting older.

I'm not sure how the Japanese market would work. I know Ichiro is the Jordan of Japan.....but who knows, the market for Ichiro in Japan might not be what it once was especially for a guy who would be on his second team and is getting a little older.

He's not a new, fresh face entering MLB for the first time. The market (TV revenue etc.) might not dictate what it would for a Dice-K.

But, I'm not the one to be commenting on this issue. Also, if teams could be making the kind of money you say they do on Japanese stars why aren't more jumping to the MLB? Why aren't more teams falling over themselves to sign Japanese ballplayers?

Well you just answered your question. Think about it, Ichiro in Japan is an elite player and one of the most marketable players out there. Not every player in Japan is obviously not at that status. That's why I keep saying they should Ichiro, because a move like this is almost a franchise changer. I say almost due to 10/26/05, but if Reinsdorf is the business man that we all know to be, then why wouldn't he jump at the chance to make a splash like that?

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 12:54 PM

That would be nice.

Thome25
03-26-2007, 12:54 PM

I agree. But, When the NY newspapers write about AROD possibly joining the Sox or Angels it heats up this kind of talk.

Thome25
03-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Well you just answered your question. Think about it, Ichiro in Japan is an elite player and one of the most marketable players out there. Not every player in Japan is obviously not at that status. That's why I keep saying they should Ichiro, because a move like this is almost a franchise changer. I say almost due to 10/26/05, but if Reinsdorf is the business man that we all know to be, then why wouldn't he jump at the chance to make a splash like that?

Then by this logic we should've (and would've) been a player in the Dice-K sweepstakes if JR knew what you're saying.

We weren't even one of the teams bidding.

Unless the Japanese revenue isn't as big as you're claiming. Or JR isn't interested in investing that kind of money.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Then by this logic we should've (and would've) been a player in the Dice-K sweepstakes if JR knew what you're saying.

We weren't even one of the teams bidding.

Unless the Japanese revenue isn't as big as you're claiming. Or JR isn't interested in investing that kind of money.

That's because Dick-K isn't a proven commodity as opposed to Ichiro being a free agent this year, who is just a stud and at this rate a 1st ballot hall of famer.

bryPt
03-26-2007, 01:09 PM
get his a** here now. As long as they keep Crede. The only place I want Crede to go is to the World Series a few more times in a White Sox jersey.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 01:10 PM
get his a** here now. As long as they keep Crede. The only place I want Crede to go is to the World Series a few more times in a White Sox jersey.

Agreed.

chitownhawkfan
03-26-2007, 01:43 PM

If you don't like the thread don't post in it.

Anyways, people don't like AROD because of his contract, but how can you fault him for getting as much money as possible. It seems people in NY don't like him because he isn't Jeter. If there is any realistic possibility of getting AROD you have to explore it. I'm sure Kenny could work out a trade where we wouldn't be paying all of the 25 million.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
If you don't like the thread don't post in it.

Anyways, people don't like AROD because of his contract, but how can you fault him for getting as much money as possible. It seems people in NY don't like him because he isn't Jeter. If there is any realistic possibility of getting AROD you have to explore it. I'm sure Kenny could work out a trade where we wouldn't be paying all of the 25 million.

It wouldn't be a trade situation, unless A-Rod really felt that he really wanted to be nice to the Yankees and he didn't opt out. In that case, the Sox would only pay about 1/3 of his salary while giving up someone like Crede, pitching prospects. Personally, if they can keep the prospects and they can just sign him for nothing that would be great.

spiffie
03-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Here's the problem, your mythical income from Japan is not going to materialize. All those jerseys and hats and anything else MLB licensed...that goes into the common pot of money for all the teams. Yes, there could be some limited sponsorship opportunities, but you are failing to account for a few things:
1. Ichiro is kind of old news for them. Matsuzaka is hot right now, appeals more to the young consumers who companies desperately want, and is in position to get insane coverage.

2. The Red Sox are a far bigger entity worldwide than the White Sox. Is that stupid? Yup. Is it true? Yup. People will spend more money on a player affiliated with one of the most famous sports franchises in the world over a team that isn't even the most famous team in its own city.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Here's the problem, your mythical income from Japan is not going to materialize. All those jerseys and hats and anything else MLB licensed...that goes into the common pot of money for all the teams. Yes, there could be some limited sponsorship opportunities, but you are failing to account for a few things:
1. Ichiro is kind of old news for them. Matsuzaka is hot right now, appeals more to the young consumers who companies desperately want, and is in position to get insane coverage.

2. The Red Sox are a far bigger entity worldwide than the White Sox. Is that stupid? Yup. Is it true? Yup. People will spend more money on a player affiliated with one of the most famous sports franchises in the world over a team that isn't even the most famous team in its own city.

Then why the hell was Ichiro so big despite the fact that he played for the ****in' Mariners of all teams? Not to mention, Matsui, is still big in Japan despite the fact that he came into the bigs in 2003. Also, a move like Ichiro going to the Sox will still make headlines out there and the fact that the Sox still get some of that increased revenue as well thus leading to what I said earlier. Due to the fact that, I'm not sure if this is shared as well, but they would also get a deal in Japan for TV and Radio that would increase revenue wouldn't they, and I doubt that goes to all of MLB, does it?

jabrch
03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
This is one of the best hitters in the game. He was a GG SS just a few years ago before being moved to 3B. He's a .300/.400/.550 type hitter with 35+ HRs, 120ish R and RBI and 20 SBs who is a presence in the middle of the order.

There's no reason not to want him.

The question is what we'd have to sacrifice to get him.

If he wants $25mm and it would mean that we'd have to lose JD, Crede, Uribe and replace them with BA/Sweeney, Fields, then that's the question. What else would be done with the money.

A-Rod, Fields and BA/Sweeney or Crede, Uribe and Dye...that's the question.

Alex Rodriguez is one of the best hitters in the game. I'd love to have him in the middle of our order.

Jjav829
03-26-2007, 03:56 PM

I want to hear what you think.......Who Agrees? There's plenty of pro-AROD threads on here....now it's time for an anti-AROD thread.

Did I miss the part where Arod suddenly became Barry Bonds? How do you know if Ozzie and Arod get along or not? Because Ozzie called Arod out once, then immediately apologized, saying he only apologized because he felt bad about putting Arod in a bad situation. GMAB.

spiffie
03-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Then why the hell was Ichiro so big despite the fact that he played for the ****in' Mariners of all teams? Not to mention, Matsui, is still big in Japan despite the fact that he came into the bigs in 2003. Also, a move like Ichiro going to the Sox will still make headlines out there and the fact that the Sox still get some of that increased revenue as well thus leading to what I said earlier. Due to the fact that, I'm not sure if this is shared as well, but they would also get a deal in Japan for TV and Radio that would increase revenue wouldn't they, and I doubt that goes to all of MLB, does it?
Ichiro was big because he was unique, he was first, and he was the Matsuzaka of 2000.

And the radio/tv rights are all controlled by MLB Int'l, so yes, that all goes to the common broadcast pot.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/02/11/matsuzaka_factor_mobilizes_red_sox/?page=full This story from the Boston Globe talks pretty in depth about how the Red Sox are trying to maximize the earnings from Matsuzaka.

thomas35forever
03-26-2007, 04:26 PM
He could be a distraction in the clubhouse, so I say no.

santo=dorf
03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Epic rant...

:rolleyes:
He should've just bumped his post of how Crede is better than A-rod right now. :rolleyes:

dickallen15
03-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Did you miss the news? Toby Hall got hurt, the back-up catcher, 2007 is over.