PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers starts backtracking....

gf2020
03-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Well well well...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070325rogerssox,1,1421466.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

That was excessively fast. I think it's too fast. If you are going to come out against a series of moves as strongly as Rogers did, I don't think you should bail on your position before even the end of spring training.

If there is even a chance that you will have to switch course this quickly, maybe you shouldn't come out strongly in the first place unless you are certain or near close to it.

beckett21
03-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Imagine that, the management team that brought a World Series title to Chicago less than two years ago just *might* know what they are doing.

Who woulda thunk it? :rolleyes:

Well, I guess it is better to do your homework late rather than never Phil. Next time, try doing a little research before going off the deep end.

oeo
03-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Kenny Williams did say that he was going to take some heat until the beginning of the season to maybe mid-April. Not only can he build a championship team, he can also tell the future!

Let's see how long it takes for those fans still not on board to come running back...

UserNameBlank
03-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Interesting. Let's see how far this goes. My guess is the first time Danks struggles for 2 or more outings in a row, Phil will write an article saying that at first he thought the trade was bad, but then he realized it wasn't, and then after further consideration, thought the trade was bad again. Of course, this future article will preceed another article claiming that the trade really was a good one, but the Garcia trade still sucks.

Vernam
03-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Simply despicable. :cool:

Vernam

Navarro's Talent
03-25-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm happy to see he's turning around on this trade. I have nothing against McCarthy, but he just gave up too many homeruns. That's just not going to work at the Cell. Getting both Danks and Masset was more than enough, especially considering both will make the team.

thedudeabides
03-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Phil has spoke out harsh against the Sox moves, but I've always thought he was fair in the long run. This is a quick retraction that I didn't expect. Lately, he seems to jump on the bandwagon of whatever scout he's talking to.

PalehosePlanet
03-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah, best of luck to Brandon, definitely. Especially since he grew up a Sox fan. But last year I certainly wanted to strangle him way more often than I wanted to coddle him. Now I haven't researched the stats, but it seemed like the HRs he gave up last year always seemed to be 2,3 & 4 run shots and at innopurtune times too. I don't buy the whole starter vs. bullpen deal either: If you're a pitcher, you pitch, whenever, wherever.

JermaineDye05
03-25-2007, 10:54 PM
I think everyone now sees how Kenny was "bowled over" with this deal, I mean Danks AND Masset for McCarthy.

Vernam
03-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Here's the only story I found referencing McCarthy's whining about the ump's calls in his latest bad outing: http://tinyurl.com/yp3zto

Way more interesting, though, is the buyer's remorse expressed in this Dallas Morning-News article (http://tinyurl.com/28hld7) (http://tinyurl.com/28hld7%29), with headline of "Will fans say Danks for nothing?"

Here's what they did in spring training:

Pitcher W-L ERA Inn. H R ER W K
Danks 2-0 4.32 16 2/3 17 9 8 4 12
McCarthy 1-1 10.45 10 1/3 19 12 12 7 11Something tells me it's going to be awfully hot down in Arlington for ol' Brandon.

EDIT: That does seem to include McCarthy's latest appearance, which was yesterday.

Vernam

ondafarm
03-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Rogers still possible to make major league squad.

thomas35forever
03-25-2007, 11:08 PM
So the Tribune's going to go October 2005-Mariotti on us and saying the Sox have proved them wrong? Smooth.

PalehosePlanet
03-25-2007, 11:19 PM
I find it kind of disturbing that Rogers just starting talking to league scouts NOW instead of at the time of the trade to form his opinion. Shouldn't he have contacts being in the position that he's in that could have informed him of what he's writing now then? Instead he's milling around Arizona now, making calls, etc... Whatever.

The national media in general was on-board w/KW on this trade at the time it happened. Oh well, at least he admits his mistake for jumping to conclusions to begin with. There are other writers in this town who change opinions constantly without ever making mention of previous articles/opinions that were to the contrary.

Domeshot17
03-26-2007, 12:06 AM
As nice as this is, lets hold judgement until April. I don't want to see too much pressure get put on Danks all of the sudden. The kid is our 5th starter. He is going to start hopefully 30-35 games, we need him to win 12-13 of those, lose 10 or less and have an ERA under 5. He pulls that off, its a solid rookie season. No need to compare him to Freddy OR Brandon, he is a rookie, and most important is grooming him for the future. Better a 5 now ace in the future, then too much pressure and a 4-5 forever.

StillMissOzzie
03-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Well well well...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070325rogerssox,1,1421466.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

That was excessively fast. I think it's too fast. If you are going to come out against a series of moves as strongly as Rogers did, I don't think you should bail on your position before even the end of spring training.

Better now than to continue to defend his stupid initial opinion.

I'm happy to see he's turning around on this trade. I have nothing against McCarthy, but he just gave up too many homeruns. That's just not going to work at the Cell. Getting both Danks and Masset was more than enough, especially considering both will make the team.
I especially liked the part where the Tigers were stunned by what the Rangers gave up for McCarthy, as mentioned by PP in the quote below:

I find it kind of disturbing that Rogers just starting talking to league scouts NOW instead of at the time of the trade to form his opinion. Shouldn't he have contacts being in the position that he's in that could have informed him of what he's writing now then? Instead he's milling around Arizona now, making calls, etc... Whatever.

So NOW he should start writing informed, well-researched stuff ?

SMO
:gulp:

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 01:52 AM
Well well well...

If there is even a chance that you will have to switch course this quickly, maybe you shouldn't come out strongly in the first place unless you are certain or near close to it.

What ever, at least he realized that he had a dumb opinion and he changed it, so good for him.

rdivaldi
03-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Hey at least give Phil some credit for admitting that he rushed to judgement. How many other of the hack columnists in this city would have admitted it this early?

FedEx227
03-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Hey at least give Phil some credit for admitting that he rushed to judgement. How many other of the hack columnists in this city would have admitted it this early?

Just as people said earlier in the thread wait on Danks, wait on Rogers. Within 2 weeks Williams will be back to 'cheaping' it in the future instead of wanting a World Championship.

gf2020
03-27-2007, 01:02 PM
The mighty Carol Slezak has now fallen:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/slezak/314160,CST-SPT-carol27.article

maurice
03-27-2007, 03:37 PM
That was excessively fast. I think it's too fast.

I think it's too slow. I personally told him essentially the same thing that the Tigers guy told him. How dare he give more credence to an actual MLB scout than an anonymous Internet poster?!? Welcome to the Danks badwagon, Phil.
:cool:

I definitely think this is a CYA column, because it's starting to look like Danks has a good shot to outperform McCarthy and Garcia in 2007, undermining the Trib party-line argument that KW was intentionally tanking '07. Money quote:
It would be an understatement to say I didn't like the trade when it was made. My strongest objection was that it was made as part of a strategy to rebuild the starting rotation rather than invest further in the guys who helped win a World Series, specifically Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Freddy Garcia.

I objected to this at the time. How in the world does McCarthy for Danks, et al. signal rebuilding and limit KW's ability to invest in veterans? If he were rebuilding, he wouldn't have kept 4 veteran starters and traded the 1 young starting pitcher. He would have kept McCarthy and dumped at least one more vet.

Vernam
03-27-2007, 04:15 PM
How in the world does McCarthy for Danks, et al. signal rebuilding and limit KW's ability to invest in veterans? If he were rebuilding, he wouldn't have kept 4 veteran starters and traded the 1 young starting pitcher. He would have kept McCarthy and dumped at least one more vet.Now that's the money quote. I keep waiting to see someone write that in the press, but the mea culpa by Rogers is about as close as we'll get. I have to admit he's man enough to say he was wrong, and I hope he'll think twice next time before attacking KW.

Vernam

Fuller_Schettman
03-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Interesting. Let's see how far this goes. My guess is the first time Danks struggles for 2 or more outings in a row, Phil will write an article saying that at first he thought the trade was bad, but then he realized it wasn't, and then after further consideration, thought the trade was bad again. Of course, this future article will preceed another article claiming that the trade really was a good one, but the Garcia trade still sucks.

OK, that is so Frater Perdurabo that I can't even wrap my mind around it! :o:

Frater Perdurabo
03-27-2007, 11:00 PM
OK, that is so Frater Perdurabo that I can't even wrap my mind around it! :o:

Nor did Phil mean what he said... :redneck

Tragg
03-28-2007, 07:11 PM
I loved McCarthy and hated the trade - for about 2 days, when I finally realized (after reading others' opinions) that we got 2 if not 3 stud arms for 1 plus an organizational minor leaguer.

On a "related" note, what was the Tribune's position on Hendry sending the Marlins 40% of its starting rotation in return for a 1 year rent of Juan Pierre?