PDA

View Full Version : Sox Option Haeger & Russel

DickAllen72
03-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Notes: After the game, the White Sox optioned knuckleballer Charlie Haeger (javascript:fantasyPopup('baseball', 7758)) to Triple-A Charlotte and reassigned right-hander Adam Russell to minor league camp. Both had been candidates for the fifth starter's spot that went to John Danks (javascript:fantasyPopup('baseball', 7808)) on Saturday. The White Sox still have 31 players in the major league camp.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=190918

Too bad about Haeger. I guess this means Floyd made the cut.

Corlose 15
03-25-2007, 08:43 PM
No, it probably just means that what to see him some more before they decide whether to keep him for the bullpen.

Right now the only locks in the bullpen are Jenks, MacDougal, Thornton, and Masset.

DickAllen72
03-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Right now the only locks in the bullpen are Jenks, MacDougal, Thornton, and Masset.

I think Logan earned a spot which leaves one more opening. I would have preferrred Haeger.

It looks like it's now between Sisco and Floyd, and I'll bet they keep Floyd. They don't really need three leftys in the pen and Sisco needs more work and should be a starter anyway.

I don't think Aardsma or Bucvich have a shot but you never know...

AJ Hellraiser
03-25-2007, 09:05 PM
If they keep Aardsma their crazy... early indications are nobody made out well in that deal.. I read somewhere yesterday that Neal Cotts has a 7.40 ERA right now... ouch

UserNameBlank
03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Good.

I don't ever want to see Haeger come into the game with men on base or even pitch in a tight game out of the pen period. As a starter, I think he makes a great option if someone goes down or there is a doubleheader and the Sox need another starter on short notice.

Russel was very impressive on the whole even though he didn't have it today. I'm actually kind of glad he failed last minute because with all of the young converted starters the Sox have in the pen, they really need to keep Adam as a starter. Hopefully he has a great year in Double A, even though I doubt he moves up. How is he going to crack that Charlotte rotation?

oeo
03-25-2007, 09:25 PM
I doubt Floyd makes the team, or Aardsma.

Since Ozzie wants Logan (we'll see how long it lasts), it'll probably be Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Masset, Sisco, and Logan; although I don't know if I like having three lefties, only of which is "for sure" going to get the job done.

soxwon
03-25-2007, 09:41 PM
If they keep Aardsma their crazy... early indications are nobody made out well in that deal.. I read somewhere yesterday that Neal Cotts has a 7.40 ERA right now... ouch

spring training era's mean squat.
Cotts may still have a decent year, AArdsma isnt done either.

soxwon
03-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Charlotte has a better rotation than the cubs LMAO

PalehosePlanet
03-25-2007, 10:37 PM
I think Aardsma, Floyd and Sisco all make the team. Logan teased us last spring too, then the minute the bell rang --- and I do mean the minute --- he gives up a game tying HR to the first ever batter he faces (Hafner) in the 8th inning of gm. 2. Obviously this doesn't mean he hasn't grown since, but I think Ozzie and KW will give Sisco a chance to succeed or fail first. After all he's waaay more talented than Boone, stuff wise.

Navarro's Talent
03-25-2007, 10:54 PM
I'd rather see Haeger as a starter than a reliever, so I'm glad they're keeping with that. He did okay as a reliever for the Sox last year, but I think he's more valuable as a starter.

If I had to choose, I'd say that Floyd is a lock for the bullpen. I think he needs Don Cooper to keep at him all season; that will probably be the best way to try and clear his head. I'm not sure about Sisco and Logan yet. Logan's done well, but we've been down this path before. Guillen seems impressed, though, so we'll see.

California Sox
03-25-2007, 11:13 PM
I think Aardsma, Floyd and Sisco all make the team. Logan teased us last spring too, then the minute the bell rang --- and I do mean the minute --- he gives up a game tying HR to the first ever batter he faces (Hafner) in the 8th inning of gm. 2. Obviously this doesn't mean he hasn't grown since, but I think Ozzie and KW will give Sisco a chance to succeed or fail first. After all he's waaay more talented than Boone, stuff wise.

I don't think Sisco's stuff has been ahead of Logan's this spring. Granted, Sisco may yet crank it up to the velo he had in 2005, but he's been around 92-93 in Tucson without much command. Logan has also been in the low nineties with a solid breaking ball. I'm one of the few believers in Logan on this board, but to me his stuff reminds me of Scott Radinsky, which is not bad.

But I think with the Twins and Tribe looming, Ozzie keeps three lefties in the pen and then brings Aardsma up when he sees how those guys pitch in the first couple weeks. Regardless, nice to have some bullpen depth.

WhiteSox5187
03-26-2007, 12:36 AM
For what it's worth, I'd really rather see Floyd start the year in Triple A and just dominate hitters there and get some confidence there. I think putting him in the bullpen would be akin to what we did with McCarthy last year.

goon
03-26-2007, 01:43 AM
For what it's worth, I'd really rather see Floyd start the year in Triple A and just dominate hitters there and get some confidence there. I think putting him in the bullpen would be akin to what we did with McCarthy last year.

Well, with Haegar and Russell both optioned to AAA, Floyd will likely break camp with the Sox as the long reliever in the pen. If he struggles and doesn't show progress, they'll send him down.

DrCrawdad
03-26-2007, 08:18 AM
I was really hoping Haeger would make the club as a long-reliever, spot-starter.

soxinem1
03-28-2007, 04:02 PM
For what it's worth, I'd really rather see Floyd start the year in Triple A and just dominate hitters there and get some confidence there.

Not sure he would be guaranteed a starting spot there either.

kevin57
03-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Is there anyone in this plethora of pitching talent who could be called on to replace Jenks? I have a sinking feeling in my stomach about how inconsistent he's going to be this year. Remember, for years the Sox have had at least one previously good reliever who completely stinks up the field (and loses lots of ballgames) in a subsequent year. :mad:

ondafarm
03-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Is there anyone in this plethora of pitching talent who could be called on to replace Jenks? I have a sinking feeling in my stomach about how inconsistent he's going to be this year. Remember, for years the Sox have had at least one previously good reliever who completely stinks up the field (and loses lots of ballgames) in a subsequent year. :mad:

Thornton or McDougal would do.

JB98
03-28-2007, 05:41 PM

Thornton has been hands-down the most impressive pitcher in camp this year. He's had little trouble retiring the side in each of his outings.