PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Fans View - Danks for Nothing

Mingo
03-25-2007, 08:51 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/ksherrington/stories/032507dnsposherrington.36727d0.html

Nice little story of the fans griping in Texas over the trade some Sox fans griped over. It is still way too early to tell how this trade came out, but this article provides a nice contrast.

The Dude
03-25-2007, 09:45 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/ksherrington/stories/032507dnsposherrington.36727d0.html

Nice little story of the fans griping in Texas over the trade some Sox fans griped over. It is still way too early to tell how this trade came out, but this article provides a nice contrast.

I love it! I hope they are saying that after this season!

pearso66
03-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Yikes, McCarthy has a 10 something ERA. I could see Sox fans being pissed if he put up those numbers after we traded away Freddy to get him in the rotation. I think this trade will work out well for the Sox, especially if McCarthy keeps giving up the long ball.

tick53
03-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Yikes, McCarthy has a 10 something ERA. I could see Sox fans being pissed if he put up those numbers after we traded away Freddy to get him in the rotation. I think this trade will work out well for the Sox, especially if McCarthy keeps giving up the long ball.

Yikes for sure. I had no idea it was that high. As for the Rangers...:violin:

chisox77
03-25-2007, 10:17 PM
The thing about trades is that they have to be viewed in the long term. But I love the way Danks goes about his business on that mound. The White Sox may have got a gem here - time will tell.

:cool:

ND_Sox_Fan
03-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Don't forget that this trade wasn't straight up ... we may have two guys on our 25-man in exchange for Brandon.

When evaluating this trade 1-for-1, you have to include the contributions of Masset.

BV2005
03-26-2007, 12:46 AM
I was very upset about this trade when I heard about it. But Kenny is starting to look like a genius again. I hope Danks tears it up this year.

WhiteSox5187
03-26-2007, 01:32 AM
I like what I'm hearing from Danks (because everytime he pitches I seem to catch it on the radio) but I think we gave up a good young pitcher with Brandon. I don't think this deal is going to be one sided at all. But if it has to be one sided, then I do think that the Sox are probably going to get the better end of it.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 02:43 AM
That is funny that they hate the deal more than we do, and we only gave up McCarthy and an 18 year old A outfielder.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Don't forget that this trade wasn't straight up ... we may have two guys on our 25-man in exchange for Brandon.

When evaluating this trade 1-for-1, you have to include the contributions of Masset.

Excellent point. If Danks has a .500 season W-L wise while starting, and Masset develops well, this could be a win win for us.

But, I also put zero stock in B-Mac's #'s, only because it is ST. Hell, the ST record for the Sox is not all that great, so they have to be taken with a grain of salt.

D. TODD
03-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Spring training means NOTHING! I wish BMAC luck, but obviously I hope Danks & Massat both outshine him. Who takes the next step is yet to be seen, but how they have looked in the spring has no bearing on it.

ArkanSox
03-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Like many, I was shocked when I first heard of the McCarthy trade. It seemed a forgone conclusion that he would be in our starting rotation this year. Learning that we acquired a young pitcher from Texas (of all places) to possibly replace him didn't seem to make a lot of sense at the time.

Kenny Williams' reasoning was his concern that in our ballpark, McCarthy's straight, flat fastballs would end up in the bleachers far too often and that Danks has the upside to become a future ace of the pitching staff. I guess that time will tell, but I'm liking the trade so far.

Good luck to McCarthy in Arlington. Better luck to Danks in Chicago.

GO SOX!!!

KenBerryGrab
03-26-2007, 02:19 PM
That straight, high fastball will work just great in Texas. Have another round, Brandon?

soxinem1
03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
I think TEX fans and us as well are jumping the gun a bit too quick.

We put too much stock in ST numbers. After all, every single spring training there is some player who hits like a dynamo or pitches lights out, then fizzles to a dud when the real bell rings. Conversly, guys get lit up or hit nothing in ST then have great seasons.

It happens all the time.

I think McCarthy and Danks will both be front line and above-average major leaguers, but if any of the throw ins have good careers, it works out better for the White Sox in the long run.

This trade cannot be fully judged until 3-4 seasons from now, when all the principles involved can be judged a little more than ST outings.

Frontman
03-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Think if they are REALLY upset about it that much, can we trade Gavin for Brandon?

:wink: