PDA

View Full Version : Can Bud ruin baseball?

kermittheefrog
03-20-2002, 01:28 PM
I'm serious, this article explains how Bud's recent actions could ruin baseball if they aren't stopped. Now I'm sure they will be stopped/circumvented or simply not inforced but hey this is evidence for him to be fired.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20020320pappas.shtml

FarWestChicago
03-20-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'm serious, this article explains how Bud's recent actions could ruin baseball if they aren't stopped. Now I'm sure they will be stopped/circumvented or simply not inforced but hey this is evidence for him to be fired.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20020320pappas.shtml Who is going to fire him? He is an owner and he's the owner's Tool.

kermittheefrog
03-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Who is going to fire him? He is an owner and he's the owner's Tool.

Read the article West. His latest stunts are dicking over the owners too. He's trying to make himself God of baseball.

ma-gaga
03-20-2002, 02:13 PM
My hope is that he'll go to far. This 60/40 rule may do it.

If the state of Minnesota offers to pay for half of a new stadium, and the Twins/MLB refuse because of Bud's "new" policy someone (in congress) will get pissed enough to revoke the Anti-trust excemption. Guess what, before the owners let congress remove that excemption, they'll fire Bud.

That is the only way I see him being removed. By the government getting a little too intimately involved with baseball. Independent audits probably scare the hell out of the owners that claim they're losing millions of dollars. The Murdocks, Angelos, and Coangelos's of the world.

foulkesfan11
03-20-2002, 02:27 PM
Unfortunately, there's always going to be someone in power just like him. If he does get canned, and he probably won't, whoever replaces him will probably pull similar stunts. It's a big power trip.

Hopefully it won't ruin baseball though.

duke of dorwood
03-20-2002, 02:35 PM
He's not gonna enforce it either. He's playing little lawyer here, using old laws like attorneys file useless motions just to get things on the record.

kermittheefrog
03-20-2002, 02:40 PM
I really think the 60/40 rule is BS just like contraction. However I really don't get the million dollar fine for talking about labor between owners. If I owned a baseball team I'd want Selig's head for thinking he has that much power.

NorthSideConvert
03-20-2002, 10:01 PM
Don Fehr and Scott Boras are ruining baseball.

NSC

Daver
03-20-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by NorthSideConvert
Don Fehr and Scott Boras are ruining baseball.

NSC

Don Fehr and Scott Boras are working within the parameters of the system MLB insisted on in the 70's,how is it that they are ruining baseball?

MLB shot itself in the foot a long time ago,and is living with the beast they created.

NorthSideConvert
03-20-2002, 10:43 PM
"...in the 70s" "a long time ago" The world has changed. Why should an unworkable model be the basis for the future? Why should current and future fans pay for the mistakes of Bowie Kuhn?? And speaking of the future, if the do-gooders manage to get beer advertisng banned, the economics of baseball become truly dismal

GO SOX

NSC

:gulp:

Daver
03-20-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by NorthSideConvert
"...in the 70s" "a long time ago" The world has changed. Why should an unworkable model be the basis for the future? Why should current and future fans pay for the mistakes of Bowie Kuhn?? And speaking of the future, if the do-gooders manage to get beer advertisng banned, the economics of baseball become truly dismal

My point was MLB made the rules,not Don Fehr,and not Scott Boras,blaming them for playing within the rules is ludicrous.MLB has to live with the monster that they created,they have no one to blame but themselves.

kermittheefrog
03-20-2002, 11:43 PM
How the hell can you say Scott Boras is ruining baseball? All he's doing is his job which is to get the best deals possible for the players he's representing. Apparently it's like squeezing blood from an orange to deal with him but he can only give as much as teams are willing to give. So there are three possible scenarios.

1) Teams can give that much money and he's really good at his job.

2) Teams are stupid and can't budget well enough to know they can't buy Boras free agents and not lose money.

3) Boras has dirt on all the owners and he uses it for leverage.

The only one even close to doing damage to baseball is #3 and I don't think that would be powerful enough to ruin all of baseball. He clearly doesn't have dirt on Reisdorf....