PDA

View Full Version : "GM Williams building staff with eye on future ... and A-Rod?"

chitown13
03-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Here we go again...

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10085615

"As for the A-Rod talk, at least one rival GM privately notes that not only have the White Sox done what they've done, but they've yet to work a deal with impending free agents Buehrle or outfielder Jermaine Dye (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/10873).
"I really think they're positioning themselves to make a run at A-Rod," the GM says."

itsnotrequired
03-25-2007, 12:02 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/17/174813.jpg

"KW is making a run. Trust me, I know baseball."

getonbckthr
03-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Why is this article wrong? Its no secret KW wants Arod. It also isnt a secret that the Sox have a budget. So why is it odd to think that KW is simply deciding instead of giving Dye 12 million and Burls 12 million that he would rather give Arod 20 and go with Danks and Sweeney in 08? I don't think its a far fetched thought at all.

itsnotrequired
03-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Why is this article wrong? Its no secret KW wants Arod. It also isnt a secret that the Sox have a budget. So why is it odd to think that KW is simply deciding instead of giving Dye 12 million and Burls 12 million that he would rather give Arod 20 and go with Danks and Sweeney in 08? I don't think its a far fetched thought at all.

I would say that every GM in the game wants a shot at ARod.

But as long as we are playing fantasy, I would keep Buehrle and ditch Crede. Bring up Fields and Sweeney and tell Uribe to hit the road. Under this scenario, they could probably keep Dye.

WhiteSox5187
03-25-2007, 12:22 AM
A-Rod is a great great great baseball player, probably the best in the game, but am I the only one who doesn't want him on this team? I'm sorry, but I think the guy is a club house cancer and I think he and Ozzie would kill each other.

itsnotrequired
03-25-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm sorry, but I disagree. I don't see why any GM worth proving himself would want to touch A-Rod. He'll require $32M (IIRC, for 2 years). Not sure if any contributions by Rangers or Yankees but who cares.

Yankees will want pitching. Sox KNOW that pitching is key. Sox pitching is in question.

A deal for A-Rod doesn't make sense for us right now. We need good pitching, we've stocked our pen/farm, we need to see who are winners and we don't a 3B who can hit; we've already got 2 of those.

ARod is a SS, not a 3B. And you are living in wilderness land if you think GMs don't fall asleep at night hatching plans on how to get ARod. ARod is one of those "once every 25 years" type of player. I'm not saying the Sox should trash the minors to get him but the Sox are one of the few teams that could get him without betting the farm.

Jack Parkman
03-25-2007, 12:38 AM
ARod is a SS, not a 3B. And you are living in wilderness land if you think GMs don't fall asleep at night hatching plans on how to get ARod. ARod is one of those "once every 25 years" type of player. I'm not saying the Sox should trash the minors to get him but the Sox are one of the few teams that could get him without betting the farm.

Arod is a corner infielder now (SS/3B - whatever). We've got 2 3B options, him as a SS would be nice over Uribe of course.

But not at the price he'd need.

And yeah, he's a phenom but I'm not going to buy an "A-Rod" jersey if he comes here, are you? (i.e. - invest in a "25 year type of player")

It's not a good fit. And that's ok.

itsnotrequired
03-25-2007, 12:42 AM
Arod is a corner infielder now (SS/3B - whatever). We've got 2 3B options, him as a SS would be nice over Uribe of course.

But not at the price he'd need.

And yeah, he's a phenom but I'm not going to buy an "A-Rod" jersey if he comes here, are you? (i.e. - invest in a "25 year type of player")

It's not a good fit. And that's ok.

I don't buy jerseys.

Depending on the deal, ARod on the Sox could make sense. To dismiss it outright is goofy.

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-25-2007, 12:43 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Arod as the Sox SS, but I also would hate to see them break the bank and let Buehrle or Dye walk.

AJ Hellraiser
03-25-2007, 12:45 AM
I think AROD is a smokescreen... I think the guy KW really wants only goes by 1 name:

ICHIRO

Jack Parkman
03-25-2007, 12:47 AM
I don't buy jerseys.

Depending on the deal, ARod on the Sox could make sense. To dismiss it outright is goofy.

There can't be a deal that would make us better and have him.

Not in a million years.

itsnotrequired
03-25-2007, 12:52 AM
There can't be a deal that would make us better and have him.

Not in a million years.

:?:

Crede to NYY, Yankees/Rangers pick up ARod salary, Sox get him for $14 million a year. Subtract Crede and Uribe salary and the Sox get ARod for $11 million a year.

You wouldn't take ARod for $11 million a year?

HotelWhiteSox
03-25-2007, 12:58 AM
A good read. All I know is nothing is out of the question with Kenny. He is the guy who has traded for a lot of high profile names (who were said to be the best available), with no one outside of the southside paying the Sox any mind (Wells, Colon, Freddy, Thome, etc).

chitown13
03-25-2007, 01:00 AM

Crede to NYY, Yankees/Rangers pick up ARod salary, Sox get him for $14 million a year. Subtract Crede and Uribe salary and the Sox get ARod for $11 million a year.

Hell yeah I would. AND, I would be first in line to buy his jersey!

Jack Parkman
03-25-2007, 01:01 AM

No. We have offense/defense.

I'd like that $ for pitching; not him.

*Edit - Or, better production from the OF.

HotelWhiteSox
03-25-2007, 01:03 AM
I think AROD is a smokescreen... I think the guy KW really wants only goes by 1 name:

ICHIRO

Now that would be intersting. We have Iguchi (for now), Ichiro wants to play for a contender, and there have been multiple times where he has acknowledged Sox fans as good baseball fans (I remember that game where he had some sort of streak going and the fans applauded him).

Jack Parkman
03-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Now that would be intersting. We have Iguchi (for now), Ichiro wants to play for a contender, and there have been multiple times where he has acknowledged Sox fans as good baseball fans (I remember that game where he had some sort of streak going and the fans applauded him).

Much better investment, here.

AJ Hellraiser
03-25-2007, 02:08 AM
It also makes great sense.... Ichiro still has speed and is a great leadoff man.... I think we will re-sign Dye... Let's say Pods doesn't return to base stealing form and Anderson never develops as we hope.. KW kills 2 birds with 1 stone by signing ICHIRO to play CF...

If you cut Buehrle's salary from the books because you assume he won't be back and take into account that 3 million people should come out to Comiskey again, it's not a huge increase in payroll...

oeo
03-25-2007, 02:26 AM
A-Rod is a great great great baseball player, probably the best in the game, but am I the only one who doesn't want him on this team? I'm sorry, but I think the guy is a club house cancer and I think he and Ozzie would kill each other.

The New York media is always on his back for no reason. Jeter is the little bitch, that's why there's problems over there.

Someone else said they think we'll go after Ichiro instead, and I'd like that much better. I mean if we could somehow get either, that would be great, but Ichiro would be amazing at the top of our lineup.

That said, this is for discussion in November...we've got a title to win.

IndianWhiteSox
03-25-2007, 03:24 AM
Why the hell can't the Sox keep Buehrle, Crede, Dye, and Iguchi, while signing A-Rod and Ichiro, if they trade Vazquez and Contreras(after they each have 20 win seasons for us), and let go of Uribe and Pods?

beck72
03-25-2007, 06:43 AM
I could definitely see the sox signing a big money Free agent in 2008--just not Arod. Ichiro would like awfully nice in a sox uni. And he'd come at a lower price.

Tragg
03-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Williams is certainly positioning the team to contend, not just now, but in the future. It's nice that he's staying ahead of the game. And we are returning 80% of our starting rotation. I like what he's done pitching wise.

We haven't signed MB or Dye? True. Is Zambrano signed? There are many teams that don't get many top players signed. Are they all budget-cutters?

I think MB will have a solid year; if Dye has another great year he's going to command one huge contract.

Navarro's Talent
03-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Having A-Rod on the Sox would be fantastic, but I also think Ichiro is a more realistic possibility.

PaulDrake
03-25-2007, 09:25 AM
A-Rod is a great great great baseball player, probably the best in the game, but am I the only one who doesn't want him on this team? I'm sorry, but I think the guy is a club house cancer and I think he and Ozzie would kill each other. I don't want him either.

champagne030
03-25-2007, 09:55 AM

First, I like the idea of ARod in Chicago and do think it's realistic to get him here, but I don't think it involves a trade with NY. ARod is more likely to opt out of his deal after this season and then we sign him as a free agent. That means no money from Texas and he'll cost us the $20M or so. We could choose to let Dye walk and trade Crede to the Angels for prospects and there's the $20M.

Second, I :drool: over the thought of Ichiro here. Leadoff man and gives us the option of a Gold Glove in CF or RF. If Ozzie drops the vendetta against BA then our '08 OF could be LF to RF - Sweeney, Anderson, Ichiro.

getonbckthr
03-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Just a quick question what would you rather have:
RF-Ichiro, SS-Arod, 3B-Fields, LF-Sweeney, SP-Floyd
or
RF-Dye, SS-Uribe, 3B-Crede, LF-Pods, SP-Buerhle
Financially after the deals Dye, Crede, and Burls will get next year I think it would be a wash.

By the way I'll take the 1st one I gave.

tick53
03-25-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm listening to "Hit & Run" on the radio now. The two knuckleheads are discussing this very thing.

DSpivack
03-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Why the hell can't the Sox keep Buehrle, Crede, Dye, and Iguchi, while signing A-Rod and Ichiro, if they trade Vazquez and Contreras(after they each have 20 win seasons for us), and let go of Uribe and Pods?

Yikes, that is probably around $80 million or so for six players. I see no reason to keep Buehrle, too, unless he rebounds from his decline last season.

Madvora
03-25-2007, 10:45 AM
"I don't give a s--- what anybody thinks anymore," says White Sox general manager Kenny Williams
I understand Kenny getting fed up with false rumors and stuff, but does this guy ever give an interview where he's not pissed off? Come on, this has been going on for two years already. Take it easy Kenny.
Has anyone ever seen this guy have a good time?

Jurr
03-25-2007, 11:25 AM
I understand Kenny getting fed up with false rumors and stuff, but does this guy ever give an interview where he's not pissed off? Come on, this has been going on for two years already. Take it easy Kenny.
Nope, and that's what you want out of someone running your organization.
You want laid back guys to go get a beer with, but you want the "all I think about is work and success" guys handling your assets.

As long as I'm not married to KW, I'm happy with his constant eye towards getting the Sox a ring. Given the fact that I'm a 27 year old male in Memphis, TN, who's looking to get engaged soon, I don't see the former becoming an issue.

Steelrod
03-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Kenny is GM 24-7. Probably takes his job too seriously, but look at the results!
Kenny gets a lifetime ok from me.

IndianWhiteSox
03-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Yikes, that is probably around $80 million or so for six players. I see no reason to keep Buehrle, too, unless he rebounds from his decline last season.

OK but, if you can cut payroll by trading Contreras and Vazquez(11 million each), or even the thought of trading Konerko(12 million in pocket) and replacing him with Fields at 1B. Also you factor in that Pods and uribe are leaving after this season, so that's another 7million. So therefore it all factor's out.

Obviously, I wouldn't want to make that much of a shake up. But you know, when you really factor everything, and you are only increasing payroll by maybe 10 million while fortifying your farm system and improving your team.

Jose.Contreras
03-25-2007, 11:42 AM
If we can swork a reasonable deal for A-Rod that would be INCREDIBLE. Put A-Rod at short and watch him make his career as a hall of fame White Sox player. I think we'd be a great fit for A-Rod. Imagine A-Rod winning World Series with the Sox. He is gonna end up as one of the greatest players ever. And he's only turning 32 this season.

I wouldn't give up thw rold to get him, but neither would Kenny. If we land A-Rod it will be a fair deal. Book that. Of couse in reality I give us about a 5% chance of making this happen. But it would be a GREAT THING for this franchise to land A-Rod in the near future.

IndianWhiteSox
03-25-2007, 11:59 AM
If we can swork a reasonable deal for A-Rod that would be INCREDIBLE. Put A-Rod at short and watch him make his career as a hall of fame White Sox player. I think we'd be a great fit for A-Rod. Imagine A-Rod winning World Series with the Sox. He is gonna end up as one of the greatest players ever. And he's only turning 32 this season.

I wouldn't give up thw rold to get him, but neither would Kenny. If we land A-Rod it will be a fair deal. Book that. Of couse in reality I give us about a 5% chance of making this happen. But it would be a GREAT THING for this franchise to land A-Rod in the near future.

Actually this could happen, considering the fact that Crede has the same agent as A-Rod does, I could see a scenario where they both are signed to 5 year deals. Crede(5/75) and A-Rod(5/100). As long as Contreras and Vazquez would have to be dealt, or of even Konerko, just to keep make these FA signings. Thus the '07 lineup:

RF Ichiro L
CF BA R
SS A-Rod R
DH Thome L
LF Dye R
2B Iguchi R
C AJP L
3B Crede R
1B Fields R

BanditJimmy
03-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Actually this could happen, considering the fact that Crede has the same agent as A-Rod does, I could see a scenario where they both are signed to 5 year deals. Crede(5/75) and A-Rod(5/100). As long as Contreras and Vazquez would have to be dealt, or of even Konerko, just to keep make these FA signings. Thus the '07 lineup:

RF Ichiro L
CF BA R
SS A-Rod R
DH Thome L
LF Dye R
2B Iguchi R
C AJP L
3B Crede R
1B Fields R

A-rod will cost a bit more than 5 yrs $100..... just look at what Soriano got.

He wants to sign one last contract to finish his career, so it will be more like a 7 yr deal.

Not sure how great of a SS he will be when he is 37,38, and 39.

But at that point 1B amd DH should be open for him.

oeo
03-25-2007, 12:19 PM

RF Ichiro L
CF BA R
SS A-Rod R
DH Thome L
LF Dye R
2B Iguchi R
C AJP L
3B Crede R
1B Fields R

Uh...no. First of all, if Ozzie has a say (and he always does), Konerko isn't going anywhere. If A-Rod is signed, you can say good-bye to Crede, it's as simple as that. We still have Konerko for three more years, and I'll take his offensive production over Crede's any day of the week anyway.

Madvora
03-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Nope, and that's what you want out of someone running your organization.
You want laid back guys to go get a beer with, but you want the "all I think about is work and success" guys handling your assets.

As long as I'm not married to KW, I'm happy with his constant eye towards getting the Sox a ring. Given the fact that I'm a 27 year old male in Memphis, TN, who's looking to get engaged soon, I don't see the former becoming an issue.

Kenny is GM 24-7. Probably takes his job too seriously, but look at the results!
Kenny gets a lifetime ok from me.
No, I understand that he's doing his job and doing a good job and stuff, but he's constantly pissed off at whatever questions are asked of him. I mean Ozzie gets pissed off a bunch too, but he's still having a good time a lot of the time. You never even see KW in a neutral state, it's always pissed. It makes him seem like kind of a jerk to me.

WhiteSox5187
03-25-2007, 01:02 PM
OK but, if you can cut payroll by trading Contreras and Vazquez(11 million each), or even the thought of trading Konerko(12 million in pocket) and replacing him with Fields at 1B. Also you factor in that Pods and uribe are leaving after this season, so that's another 7million. So therefore it all factor's out.

Obviously, I wouldn't want to make that much of a shake up. But you know, when you really factor everything, and you are only increasing payroll by maybe 10 million while fortifying your farm system and improving your team.
I don't think the White Sox are going to let go of Konerko anytime soon. He's our captain. I'm not even so sure I'd want to get rid of Konerko. Like I said earlier, A-Rod is a hell of a ballplayer, but I think the guy is a clubhouse cancer and it seems like NOBODY on the Yankees likes the guy. I'm not so sure I'd want a guy like that in this clubhouse.

I'd much rather have a guy like Ichiro on our team (even though I think he's older) and we wouldn't have to get rid of as many guys. I think we could concieveably hold onto Buerhle (assuming he has a good year), Dye and Crede and still get Ichiro. To get A-Rod you'd have to let go of Crede and probably Buerhle or Dye as well and I'm not sure I'm willing to give up that much (good pitching wins championships mind you) to get A-Rod.

Thome25
03-25-2007, 02:08 PM

No you're not the only one. I don't like his constant whining and his me-first attitude.

We WILL NOT get AROD because of who his agent is. Until KW proves the White Sox track record wrong, he will not deal with Boras.

Personally, I hope he keeps it that way and stays away from arod.

esbrechtel
03-25-2007, 02:27 PM
We arent thinking about the real issue here....what number would Arod wear? Would Ozzie give up 13?:dunno:

getonbckthr
03-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Sox in 08:
Ichiro-CF, Cintron-2B, Arod-SS, Thome-DH, PK-1B, AJ-C, Crede-3B, Fields-LF, Anderson/Sweeney-RF

Sox in 09:
Ichiro-CF, Cintron-2B, Arod-SS, PK-DH, AJ-C, Crede-3B, Fields-1B, Sweeney-LF, Anderson-RF
I think that could be somewhat Kenny's plans. And it should be in budget.

However lets get going with 07 first.

White Sox Randy
03-25-2007, 04:04 PM
When will people learn ? The Sox are NOT getting AROD. The list of reasons is very long and it starts with Scott BORASS.

Also, it doesn't really help the Sox unless they are willing to bring the payroll to about $125 mil. Are they going to do that ? NO.

What good does it do to add AROD and let Dye, Crede and Buehrle go ?

Besides the small fact that IF IF IF he even leaves the Yankees it would be to secure an even bigger contract. And, the Sox will outbid every other team for him ? That's crazy.

getonbckthr
03-25-2007, 04:12 PM
When will people learn ? The Sox are NOT getting AROD. The list of reasons is very long and it starts with Scott BORASS.

Also, it doesn't really help the Sox unless they are willing to bring the payroll to about $125 mil. Are they going to do that ? NO.

Besides the small fact that IF IF IF he even leaves the Yankees it would be to secure an even bigger contract. And, the Sox will outbid every other team for him ? That's crazy.
KW would do this assuming Arod would outperform Dye, which he would. Also that Fields would contribute comparable numbers to Crede and that one of our kid pitchers could pitch equilavent to Burls, which if its based on 06 shouldn't be a problem.

esbrechtel
03-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I would not be comfortable with letting Dye, Burls, and Crede ALL go for Arod. If Danks can put up comparable numbers I would be alright letting Burls go...However, Losing Dye and Crede would be more difficult to make up...I like the idea of Fields taking over at 1b for Konerko in the next few years which leaves a hole at 3b...If Arod were to come to Chicago I would rather him play SS and not third. In a perfect world I would really like to keep Crede and have Arod play short, but lets face it its not a perfect world....

IlliniSox4Life
03-25-2007, 04:24 PM

No, it wouldn't. If he leaves the Yankees it would be to secure a better place to play everyday. The reason he signed his deal in the first place was for the money. Then he realized that didn't make him happy so he wanted to be traded to a contender. But then he realizes he wants to play for a club that doesn't despise him. I don't think he would play for the Yankees or Red Sox. After them theres a short list of contenders that I think he would want to play for that could afford to pay him.

I would welcome Arod or Ichiro to this team with open arms assuming that whatever it cost us was reasonable. Both in terms of money and talent that we would be giving up.

edit: all that said, I think it's more realistic that we sign Ichiro than Arod.

jabrch
03-25-2007, 04:45 PM

No reason to do this. ARod can opt out of his deal and become a FA next year - we can get him and STILL have the rights to Joe Crede.

veeter
03-25-2007, 06:57 PM
A-Rod is a great great great baseball player, probably the best in the game, but am I the only one who doesn't want him on this team? I'm sorry, but I think the guy is a club house cancer and I think he and Ozzie would kill each other.I agree. I like our little team just the way it is. Our guys have rings, Rodriguez does not.

RadioheadRocks
03-25-2007, 07:02 PM
No you're not the only one. I don't like his constant whining and his me-first attitude.

We WILL NOT get AROD because of who his agent is. Until KW proves the White Sox track record wrong, he will not deal with Boras.

Personally, I hope he keeps it that way and stays away from arod.

I've mentioned this before in threads about AROD coming to the Sox, however these threads just keep on coming...

Tragg
03-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Per reports, Fields has a long way to go to catch Crede defensively.

These Ichiro (34 this year) scenarios run a large risk of tying up big bucks for a player past prime. Hasn't happened yet - he may be a great player at 40, who knows.

Cintron as a regular is a big downgrade - a much bigger downgrade than A rod or Ichiro over Dye is an upgrade. Not much power, miserable 5% walk rate, career OBP of a .318 (which would be around .300 but for one year). Bench player - fine, but he's not in Iguchi's stratosphere (nor in the statosphere of many ML second basemen).

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 03:20 AM
Am I forgetting something here?

A-RODS AGENT IS CREDE'S AGENT AND RICK HAHN NOT KW IS NEGOTIATING THE DEAL. So therefore, in order for A-Rod to even think about coming to the Sox, they will have to sign Crede to an extension or else it won't be a possibility. In other words, there will be no A-Rod and Fields left side of the infield or A-rod and Uribe left side of the infield. It will almost have to be A-Rod and Crede left side of the infield. Also, if Iguchi gets re-signed, then Ichiro just for that will at least get tempted to come here. Keep in mind that Abreu can opt out as well and he may also want to come to Chicago just because Ozzie is his family friend and surrogate uncle. Now meaning that if it takes trading Konerko, who I love as a 1B and got his authentic jersey for about $180, Vazquez and Contreras(who I think will win 20 games each this season), to free up money for deals on Dye, Abreu, Iguchi, A-Rod, Buehrle, Crede and Ichiro, then so be it. The Sox have said that if they are willing to spend money, than this is the season for that. Because next years free agent crop will probably not be as good and our prospects will also be improving and vying for a spot in the big probably by 2009. Anyway the lineup:

RF Ichiro L
CF BA R
LF Abreu L
SS A-Rod R
DH Thome L
1B Dye R
3B Crede R
C AJP L
2B Iguchi R

Now, I don't know most of this for sure, but from hearing about past experiences with Boras and last year's deal with Crede, I'm just basing my opinion that's all. Besides, the last Sox player to play his whole career with the Sox was SS Luke Appling.

Edit: 2009 Free agency may be good as well with the possiblity of Furcal, Santana and Crawford all being Free Agents.

Thome25
03-26-2007, 07:51 AM

This is the best post in this thread HANDS DOWN. The "AROD-heads" around here just are not going to realize that the Sox are NOT going to get him because of who his agent is.

Not to mention his character (or lack of it.) He is an arrogant, greedy, whiny little crybaby. I hope the Sox NEVER try to sign him.

I just can't believe all of the posts in this thread saying that we should get rid of two of our best hitters and a starter just to get AROD.

One superstar hitter doesn't get you to the WS. Have all the AROD bandwagoners on here forgotten the early and mid 90's? We already went through that era....the Frank Thomas Era. We don't need to repeat it.

I say NO THANKS to Arod.

If AROD signs with anyone it'll be the Angels.

Thome25
03-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Am I forgetting something here?

A-RODS AGENT IS CREDE'S AGENT AND RICK HAHN NOT KW IS NEGOTIATING THE DEAL. So therefore, in order for A-Rod to even think about coming to the Sox, they will have to sign Crede to an extension or else it won't be a possibility. In other words, there will be no A-Rod and Fields left side of the infield or A-rod and Uribe left side of the infield. It will almost have to be A-Rod and Crede left side of the infield. Also, if Iguchi gets re-signed, then Ichiro just for that will at least get tempted to come here. Keep in mind that Abreu can opt out as well and he may also want to come to Chicago just because Ozzie is his family friend and surrogate uncle. Now meaning that if it takes trading Konerko, who I love as a 1B and got his authentic jersey for about $180, Vazquez and Contreras(who I think will win 20 games each this season), to free up money for deals on Dye, Abreu, Iguchi, A-Rod, Buehrle, Crede and Ichiro, then so be it. The Sox have said that if they are willing to spend money, than this is the season for that. Because next years free agent crop will probably not be as good and our prospects will also be improving and vying for a spot in the big probably by 2009. Anyway the lineup:

RF Ichiro L
CF BA R
LF Abreu L
SS A-Rod R
DH Thome L
1B Dye R
3B Crede R
C AJP L
2B Iguchi R

Now, I don't know most of this for sure, but from hearing about past experiences with Boras and last year's deal with Crede, I'm just basing my opinion that's all. Besides, the last Sox player to play his whole career with the Sox was SS Luke Appling.

Edit: 2009 Free agency may be good as well with the possiblity of Furcal, Santana and Crawford all being Free Agents.

There is a better chance of Jerry Reinsdorf sitting and having Easter dinner with Jay Mariotti, Scott Boras, and the Easter Bunny than the scenario that you paint here.

The track record says that the Sox DO NOT deal with Boras when it comes to long-term deals. Until the Sox prove otherwise, Crede is as good as gone and AROD IS NOT joining the Sox.

I know, I know....the Sox were in a bidding war for AROD when he signed with the Rangers....but, Boras was just using the Sox as a bargaining chip which further left a bad taste in the Sox mouth.

I REPEAT........THE SOX WILL NOT BE SIGNING AROD IN THIS MILLENNIUM.

Why don't the Sox try to get Sheffield and Barry Bonds too? That way they'll have 3 of the biggest tools in MLB along with AROD.

after they sign AROD they can try to assemble an "all tool roster" By resigning Tony Phillips, Albert Belle, and Frank Thomas and acquiring such players as Jeff Kent, Eddie Murray, and Mark Mcgwire.

My point for waht I wrote in teal is that alot of those players put up HOF caliber numbers but lacked character. You wouldn't want those guys because they caused more trouble than they were worth.

Same goes for AROD.

chitown13
03-26-2007, 08:46 AM

I don't see how you can honestly say this. KW has a man crush on this guy and always has. You obviously have a hatred for AROD and have strong feelings against this guy. Also, just because of who his agency is doesn't mean the SOX will NEVER sign him. I would think that one of the best players in this millennium has the ability to say, "Hey, I would like to play there" and pretty much get what he wants. He has enough money and the one thing he is lacking is a ring. Where would be a better spot to get one other than the Yankees or SOX :cool:

cheezheadsoxfan
03-26-2007, 08:51 AM

No you're not the only one. As talented as he is, I think it would be a terrible fit.

Thome25
03-26-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't see how you can honestly say this. KW has a man crush on this guy and always has. You obviously have a hatred for AROD and have strong feelings against this guy. Also, just because of who his agency is doesn't mean the SOX will NEVER sign him. I would think that one of the best players in this millennium has the ability to say, "Hey, I would like to play there" and pretty much get what he wants. He has enough money and the one thing he is lacking is a ring. Where would be a better spot to get one other than the Yankees or SOX :cool:

The Sox are one of the few teams who aren't willing to give Boras what he wants, which is to screw teams out of tons of money and inturn hurt the fanbase because teams have to raise ticket prices into outer space just to pay his clients.

I have to give the Sox credit for not taking Boras' **** and refusing to deal with his clients.

The Sox have shown since 1996 when Alex Fernandez signed with the Marlins that they do not deal with Boras for long term deals. Until they prove their track record otherwise.....they will not deal with Boras.

I hope the Sox DO NOT sign AROD if he becomes available.

Thome25
03-26-2007, 08:56 AM
No you're not the only one. As talented as he is, I think it would be a terrible fit.

It's good to see that there's more of us who think an AROD signing would be terrible.

AuroraSoxFan
03-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Boras is a part of it. Still, I think if the Sox felt they really needed him they'd deal with the guy. But the entire picture does not add up too well. Sox do not WANT to deal with Boras. AROD is not the best character in the world. He is too expensive, how much of his quarter-billion $ contract is still owed to him???? No way Sox would pay an infielder that much. AROD is also TERRIBLE at the plate when his team needs him (see his October stats). all that combined = AROD playing elsewhere.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 09:59 AM
This is the best post in this thread HANDS DOWN. The "AROD-heads" around here just are not going to realize that the Sox are NOT going to get him because of who his agent is.

Not to mention his character (or lack of it.) He is an arrogant, greedy, whiny little crybaby. I hope the Sox NEVER try to sign him.

I just can't believe all of the posts in this thread saying that we should get rid of two of our best hitters and a starter just to get AROD.

One superstar hitter doesn't get you to the WS. Have all the AROD bandwagoners on here forgotten the early and mid 90's? We already went through that era....the Frank Thomas Era. We don't need to repeat it.

I say NO THANKS to Arod.

If AROD signs with anyone it'll be the Angels.

There is a better chance of Jerry Reinsdorf sitting and having Easter dinner with Jay Mariotti, Scott Boras, and the Easter Bunny than the scenario that you paint here.

The track record says that the Sox DO NOT deal with Boras when it comes to long-term deals. Until the Sox prove otherwise, Crede is as good as gone and AROD IS NOT joining the Sox.

I know, I know....the Sox were in a bidding war for AROD when he signed with the Rangers....but, Boras was just using the Sox as a bargaining chip which further left a bad taste in the Sox mouth.

Why don't the Sox try to get Sheffield and Barry Bonds too? That way they'll have 3 of the biggest tools in MLB along with AROD.

after they sign AROD they can try to assemble an "all tool roster" By resigning Tony Phillips, Albert Belle, and Frank Thomas and acquiring such players as Jeff Kent, Eddie Murray, and Mark Mcgwire.

My point for waht I wrote in teal is that alot of those players put up HOF caliber numbers but lacked character. You wouldn't want those guys because they caused more trouble than they were worth.

Same goes for AROD.

Oh yea, because a guy who averages 35/20/130/.340 a season is not worth the trouble right? I mean even though he hasn't even been involved in steroid allegations, he's still just like Bonds and Sheffield.

Thome 25, did I ever say, get rid our best hitter and pitcher to sign A-Rod and even if I did, it wouldn't be related as that would mean that the SOX would have more faith in their developing pitchers and position players. Good god, how many times do I have to say this, if Ichiro signs with the Sox, then that automatically means a HUGE SPIKE IN PAYROLL AND PROFIT FOR THE CLUB. Think about it for a second, the only reason why the M's are relevant right now, is because of Ichiro. Which is the same reason why they have games broadcasted in Japan and memorabilia sales along with a HUGE marketability out there. If the sox sign Ichiro then they will easily be able to afford a $150 million dollar payroll, while having a MAJOR INCREASE IN PROFIT! Due to the fact, that the SOX will have the TV and Radio deals out in Japan, the increase in far east marketability, and also have merchandise sales go through the roof as they would become the third most marketable team in the world besides the Yanks and the Sawx. I mean if they sign Ichiro, then they can sign all those players I mentioned without even thinking about trading anyone. But know KW he probably would anyway just to get more GOOD QUALITY PROSPECTS in the minor league system. Thus putting the Sox in a BETTER position to be the team of the decade.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 10:00 AM

Thank you for not falling into Thome's trap.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Per reports, Fields has a long way to go to catch Crede defensively.

These Ichiro (34 this year) scenarios run a large risk of tying up big bucks for a player past prime. Hasn't happened yet - he may be a great player at 40, who knows.

Cintron as a regular is a big downgrade - a much bigger downgrade than A rod or Ichiro over Dye is an upgrade. Not much power, miserable 5% walk rate, career OBP of a .318 (which would be around .300 but for one year). Bench player - fine, but he's not in Iguchi's stratosphere (nor in the statosphere of many ML second basemen).

That maybe true, but like I said in my previous post, what Ichiro's contract may cost or the risk of it being a flop, will easily be covered by the new revenue that the Sox would get by signing him.

HotelWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 04:30 PM
The radio is spinning the 'i don't give a ****/local guys aren't getting it' quote as him saying it towards the fans