PDA

View Full Version : MLB vs. the Sunshine Kids

Chisox353014
03-24-2007, 10:22 PM
For the past 20 years, Craig Biggio has worn the pin of the Sunshine Kids, an organization that helps kids with cancer, during spring training games. Apparently the kids like to see the pin on baseball cards and on TV. Well, thankfully MLB has put a stop to that. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlEl.GmQzlGhJZx454uN_YQb0bYF?slug=ap-astros-angrybiggio&prov=ap&type=lgns)
Keep up the good work, Bud!:happyguy:

beckett21
03-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Yet wearing your hat crooked and pants baggy is okay.

What a ****ing disgrace.

WizardsofOzzie
03-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Oh buddy, making the game better day by day :rolleyes:

SOXSINCE'70
03-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Yet wearing your hat crooked and pants baggy is okay.

Not many people know this,but Mr.Sabathia's initials
(CC) stand for "crooked cap" .:roflmao: :roflmao:

WizardsofOzzie
03-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Not many people know this,but Mr.Sabathia's initials
(CC) stand for "crooked cap" .:roflmao: :roflmao:
I thought it was Captain Cheeseburger :redneck

FedEx227
03-25-2007, 12:07 AM

That's what it is in my book.

itsnotrequired
03-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Biggio may have violated MLB uniform policy but it's for a good cause and it's freaking Spring Training.

Thumbs down.

:mad:

thomas35forever
03-25-2007, 12:28 AM
As someone who's met Craig personally, I think it's complete bull**** that MLB is making him do this. Craig is a very nice man and if he wants to support kids with cancer, he should be allowed to. Smart move MLB.:rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
03-25-2007, 12:37 AM
I wonder who "turned him in"? The story mentions that the Astros were contacted by the commissioner's office but I wonder if someone in that office saw it and complained or some other team complained or what. Either way, the whole situation is stooooopid.

Brian26
03-25-2007, 12:53 AM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Biggio_Craig_04.jpg

I don't understand what the big deal is. The pin isn't offensive at all.

itsnotrequired
03-25-2007, 12:59 AM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Biggio_Craig_04.jpg

I don't understand what the big deal is. The pin isn't offensive at all.

:tool

"Are you kidding me? Look at that ****ing *******! It's times like these that makes me happy to be commissioner. By the way, are you in the market for a new car?"

WhiteSox5187
03-25-2007, 01:23 AM
The weird thing is, he's been doing it practically ALL of his career.

itsnotrequired
03-25-2007, 01:27 AM

..if by "practically all" you mean "forever".

HotelWhiteSox
03-25-2007, 02:17 AM

I remember it from the World Series. (in the interviews/DVDs). Don't see MLB's reasoning here, it's for a good cause, people notice it, will look into what it stands for, win win. Well not for baseball, they get no money from this :\ . Plus it's not even the regular season, it's SPRING TRAINING BASEBALL! [/danhawkins]

StillMissOzzie
03-25-2007, 03:11 AM
I can see both sides to this. On one hand, it makes MLB look like hypocrites because they did the pink ribbons for breast cancer awareness on Mother's Day. I guess if it's a MLB-sanctioned cause, it's OK, but otherwise, a violation of the uniform dress code?
On the other hand, it does put MLB in the awkward position of being the uniform police, as there are hundred of "good causes" that would love to have their icon/logo appearing on a player's uniform. Do you make MLB evaluate and approve every such cause that a player feels like sporting said icon/logo for? And what if you get competing causes? Controversial ones? You could then end up having the MLB uniform look like NASCAR racing suits.

SMO
:?:

chitownhawkfan
03-25-2007, 04:37 AM
I guess I would understand if this was the regular season, but give me a ****ing break. During spring training? I don't know how the ********er who turned him in sleeps at night. This is borderline criminal.

Just when you think Bud couldnt make things worse

pmck003
03-25-2007, 04:52 AM
I hate cancer and I think Biggio is an awful person for supporting it.

IndianWhiteSox
03-25-2007, 06:18 AM
Seriously, Bud Selig has to be the WORST COMMISSIONER IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL!
:angry:

He cracks down on stupid **** like this, but yet he's dumb enough not to use a BLOOD TEST FOR HGH. I mean, any doctor, can figure out whether or not that "patient" has a abnormally high level of GH in the body. It really isn't that hard to implement, considering the fact that the Tour De France can use a urine test to but Landis. But Biggio's pin on the hat is much worse than the steroids issue, the Direct TV deals and labor agreements.
:rolleyes:

beckett21
03-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I can see both sides to this. On one hand, it makes MLB look like hypocrites because they did the pink ribbons for breast cancer awareness on Mother's Day. I guess if it's a MLB-sanctioned cause, it's OK, but otherwise, a violation of the uniform dress code?
On the other hand, it does put MLB in the awkward position of being the uniform police, as there are hundred of "good causes" that would love to have their icon/logo appearing on a player's uniform. Do you make MLB evaluate and approve every such cause that a player feels like sporting said icon/logo for? And what if you get competing causes? Controversial ones? You could then end up having the MLB uniform look like NASCAR racing suits.

SMO

Come on, SMO. It's a pin. He's been wearing it for 20 years. Someone probably got ticked off that they had to pull their pants up and wear a belt, so they decided to turn him in.

How about those Phiten magnetic necklaces all the players have been wearing for the past couple years? Talk about blatant product placememt. Don't tell me they are medicinal; they are a crock.

The ironic thing is, Biggio has been doing it his whole career but this is the first time I heard anything about it. Never knew what it was; looking back I know I've seen it, but didn't pay any attention to it. The backlash from this could end up being the best thing to happen to his cause.

Gregory Pratt
03-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Biggio should've worn it anyway and taken his suspension like a man.
But then again, he might've been afraid that MLB would ban him.

SOXSINCE'70
03-25-2007, 02:05 PM

You're right.I like yours better.:lol:

thomas35forever
03-25-2007, 05:27 PM
I hate cancer and I think Biggio is an awful person for supporting it.
:tealpolice:

UserNameBlank
03-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Biggio should've worn it anyway and taken his suspension like a man.
But then again, he might've been afraid that MLB would ban him.

Bud should be a man and worry about the giant orange and black elephant in the room that he so loves to ignore, despite the fact that it keeps growing (literally).

He should also be a man and apologize to the fans of the Milwaukee Brewers and the people in that city.

There are a lot of things he should be doing with his time, but this is not one of them.

Jjav829
03-25-2007, 10:38 PM

SMO

It's a small pin supporting children who are fighting cancer. Some things are bigger than Major League Baseball's "dress code."

This is the same bunch of morons who tried to put Spiderman 2 promotions on the bases. Yet they get all pissy when a player wants to support a great cause.

**** Bud Selig. He's a gutless loser. If he had any balls, he'd step in and allow Biggio to wear the pin.

UserNameBlank
03-25-2007, 10:54 PM
It's a small pin supporting children who are fighting cancer. Some things are bigger than Major League Baseball's "dress code."

This is the same bunch of morons who tried to put Spiderman 2 promotions on the bases. Yet they get all pissy when a player wants to support a great cause.

**** Bud Selig. He's a gutless loser. If he had any balls, he'd step in and allow Biggio to wear the pin.
lol, forgot about the spiderman crap.

Jjav829
03-25-2007, 11:03 PM
lol, forgot about the spiderman crap.

I bet if the Sunshine Kids offered to give MLB some money for players to wear the pins, every player in baseball would find a pin in their locker tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Navarro's Talent
03-25-2007, 11:43 PM
Considering that MLB did this to Biggio during Spring Training, I'd say that's a new low. Even during the season, I don't see a problem with this at all. If it puts smiles on the faces of even a few kids, I think it's worth it. I can't believe this good deed actually became noted as a problem.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 03:12 AM
Bud should be a man and worry about the giant orange and black elephant in the room that he so loves to ignore, despite the fact that it keeps growing (literally).

He should also be a man and apologize to the fans of the Milwaukee Brewers and the people in that city.

There are a lot of things he should be doing with his time, but this is not one of them.

That's what I don't understand about Selig, how the hell does he focus on things like this, but not on the important topics.

That man has to be the worst commissioner in the history of baseball.

Considering that MLB did this to Biggio during Spring Training, I'd say that's a new low. Even during the season, I don't see a problem with this at all. If it puts smiles on the faces of even a few kids, I think it's worth it. I can't believe this good deed actually became noted as a problem.

That's what the shame of this is, when someone does something good like this they get punished, but yet when people like Bonds fail an amphetamines test, they don't even do anything about it.