PDA

View Full Version : 5th starter competition -- 60 days from now

soxtalker
03-24-2007, 12:36 PM
There have been a number of threads on the 5th starter competition, mostly debating which of the three contenders should be designated as the 5th starter at the beginning of the season. As I'm writing this, it appears that Danks has pulled into the lead. But it has occurred to me lately that, regardless of the winner, things could look very different in a month or two. Mostly, I'd expect the other teams to really start focusing on the weaknesses of whomever gets the spot. I'm not trying to be negative here. In fact, each one of these pitchers will be working on his weaknesses, so, hopefully, we'll see improvements from the "losers". But, nothing is set in stone by ST.

chisoxmike
03-24-2007, 12:49 PM
We'll probably have 3-4 different guys in the fifth spot this season.

jabrch
03-24-2007, 12:52 PM

Hopefully not. If Danks isn't ready, then we shouldn't press him. If he is ready, I hope he can go 175+ Innings.

MincHiaPettito
03-24-2007, 01:34 PM
I think Danks will be fine. I mean, it is the 5th starter spot, were not looking for 18 wins here. Basically innings. Maybe if Danks is really bad and Russell is tearing it up, but Id hate to do that switch and swap routine from years ago, since minor league numbers doesnt mean theyll translate and you could easily ruin a pitcher and his future (oh how many times how i heard guys like diaz were the future)

Dan Mega
03-24-2007, 02:02 PM

I'm guessing 2 for the season. I think Danks will be fine.

IndianWhiteSox
03-24-2007, 02:16 PM
I just hope that the 5th starter spot gets resolved in the next few days and produces at least a .500 record.

russ99
03-24-2007, 04:19 PM
I just hope that the 5th starter spot gets resolved in the next few days and produces at least a .500 record.

If Danks gets the job, I'd think he'd keep it all season unless he gets hurt or shelled repeatedly. The misgivings of Sox brass for giving him the job were if he wasn't ready for the majors or needed more AAA time to develop. I also hope the Sox are smart enough not to give him a quick demotion after a bad outing (like other top prospects in the past) since realisically, he's gonna have 1 or 2 of those.

Danks looks ready to me. I'd guess (and hope) that he can keep his ERA under 5 and win 8-12 games.

oeo
03-24-2007, 04:24 PM

We don't need an ace in the 5th starter's spot. Unless he's got a 6+ ERA, that's fine. It's the rest of our rotation that needs to step up.

For the last time, this situation is nothing like in years past. We have guys that can actually get the job done, now...not your David Wrights and Felix Diaz's.

chisoxmike
03-24-2007, 04:26 PM
We don't need an ace in the 5th starter's spot. Unless he's got a 6+ ERA, that's fine. It's the rest of our rotation that needs to step up.

I agree. Whoever it's going to be, just keep us in the game. Hopefully our offense will be better this year and the starting staff, mainly the 1-4 guys can get their heads out of their asses and the fifth starter can just have a .500 record with a OK ERA.

ondafarm
03-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Right now, I think it will be Danks and I think he might keep it straight up, all year long. Haeger will probably be in the pen and I think that Floyd may get a call up during the year when somebody goes on the DL.

jabrch
03-24-2007, 05:02 PM
not your David Wrights and Felix Diaz's.

I wish we had David Wright....Now Danny Wright was wrong...but David Wright is right! :-)

RowanDye
03-24-2007, 08:57 PM
I wish we had David Wright....Now Danny Wright was wrong...but David Wright is right! :-)

:hawk

"Where would he play?!"

MincHiaPettito
03-24-2007, 09:01 PM
For the last time, this situation is nothing like in years past. We have guys that can actually get the job done, now...not your David Wrights and Felix Diaz\'s.

What are you basing this off of? I havent seen any of these guys in a real game, and if they have been in one, I doubt they have had a lot of success. Its a lot easy to judge Wright and Diaz now after they failed miserably

soxwon
03-24-2007, 10:05 PM
60 days from now- danks will be looking for his 6th win

spiffie
03-24-2007, 10:31 PM
60 days from now- danks will be looking for his 6th win
Screw that...in 60 days Danks will be looking for his 9th win. No deep pink needed. He's going to surprise the hell out of everyone with how good he is.

Jerksticks
03-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Screw that...in 60 days Danks will be looking for his 9th win. No deep pink needed. He's going to surprise the hell out of everyone with how good he is.

Agreed. I called it in the winter about Danks cuz I'm the greatest thing since lasagna. Personal gloating aside, I'm excited that every series should feature one lefty. I'm even more excited for the series when it goes Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks.

Chew on some lefty, you AL Central sons of bitches!!!

kidmccarthy
03-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Chew on some lefty, you AL Central sons of bitches!!!

That may be the greatest quotation in the history....of man.

Jerksticks
03-24-2007, 11:02 PM
That may be the greatest quotation in the history....of man.

quite possibly

soxwon
03-25-2007, 12:27 PM

I agree, i was being a bit more realistic, but ive stated numerous times our 5 will win more than BMAC does.

soxinem1
03-25-2007, 12:28 PM
I think Danks will be fine. I mean, it is the 5th starter spot, were not looking for 18 wins here. Basically innings.

I guess you don't know the recent history of fifth starters in White Sox uniform do you??:smile: We should be happy with 150 innings and 10 wins.

I like the idea of five lefties on the team, especially since all of them have good stuff. I think most MLB teams would love this type of 'problem'.

CLR01
03-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Vazquez will be the 5th starter 60 days from now. :?:

My ribbon ran out of deep pink.

sox1970
03-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Vazquez will be the 5th starter 60 days from now. :?:
My ribbon ran out of deep pink.

Who ever mentions the 4th or 5th starter two months into the season?