PDA

View Full Version : Tracey claimed by Balt.

crazyozzie02
03-23-2007, 03:19 PM
I was on Chicagosports.com and i saw a link that says "Sox Trade Pitcher to Balitmore" but when i click on it, its a link to a Uribe article. has anyone heard anything? the article that is posted is from February, so im just wondering if they messed up or if there was a real deal

JermaineDye05
03-23-2007, 03:23 PM
I just saw that too, akward I must say.

losx22
03-23-2007, 03:24 PM
It seems the Orioles claimed Sean Tracey off waivers so it was probably just a mistake.
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070323&content_id=1856016&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

siugrad25
03-23-2007, 03:24 PM
I just noticed it, but I didn't see anything on mlb.com or whitesox.com. I'm thinking it must be a minor move, but what is it?

crazyozzie02
03-23-2007, 03:25 PM
It seems the Orioles claimed Sean Tracey off waivers so it was probably just a mistake.
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070323&content_id=1856016&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

yeah i just saw that

JermaineDye05
03-23-2007, 03:26 PM

that must be it, I just find it strange that it's the link to the Uribe article.

DumpJerry
03-23-2007, 03:59 PM
It was just mentioned on The Score that Tracey was picked up by the O's on waivers.

Leave it to the Cubune to get it right.

Madvora
03-23-2007, 04:00 PM
So what does that have to do with a trade?
Just the Trib jumping the gun?

jabrch
03-23-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm surprised Tracey had absolutely no trade value.

That is the downside of Guillen tossing his players under the bus. His feelings about them become pretty well known. Now Sean's performance was what devalued him - not Guillen. But Guillen didn't help.

Trav
03-23-2007, 04:09 PM

That is the downside of Guillen tossing his players under the bus. His feelings about them become pretty well known. Now Sean's performance was what devalued him - not Guillen. But Guillen didn't help.

It wouldn't have mattered if Guillen cooked him breakfast in bed, Tracey's value is at 0% because of the way he pitched.

DumpJerry
03-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Was he on the 40 Man Roster? Ed Farmer said he was. If so, this frees up a spot. The Sox website already shows him on Balt.

TomBradley72
03-23-2007, 04:30 PM

He's 26 years old(turning 27 later this year)...and there are probably 20 pitchers ahead of him in the White Sox pitching depth chart...there's no way you're going to get anything meaningful in return.

Side note: Looks like Politte was designated for assignment today as well.

INSox56
03-23-2007, 04:32 PM
It wouldn't have mattered if Guillen cooked him breakfast in bed, Tracey's value is at 0% because of the way he pitched.
Yeah, almost hitting a guy inside and then popping Michael Young in the ear speaks wonders of his amazing location...

UserNameBlank
03-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I hope this means we'll be saying "welcome to Chicago, Mr. Danks" very soon.

White Sox Randy
03-23-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm not going to argue the point because I don't know, obviously, but since it appears that Tracey has a good chance to open the season in Baltimore's bullpen, i would think that means that he has some value to them and the Sox could've gotten something back for him.

IndianWhiteSox
03-23-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm not going to argue the point because I don't know, obviously, but since it appears that Tracey has a good chance to open the season in Baltimore's bullpen, i would think that means that he has some value to them and the Sox could've gotten something back for him.

Maybe, but not much value as he wouldn't have been in the majors this year for the SOX, so they let him go to Baltimore. I wish they could have gotten a decent prospect for him but oh well.

rdivaldi
03-23-2007, 05:45 PM

That speaks for the quality of Baltimore's bullpen, not Tracey's trade value. Every scout under the sun knows of Sean's control problems and troublesome mechanics. It was just a matter of time before he ran out of options, so why in the world would anyone have traded for him?

KRS1
03-23-2007, 05:47 PM
This sucks. I know I'm probably the only supporter he still has here, but I really liked Sean. I wish him all the best, and hope he goes on to do great things in the majors.

IndianWhiteSox
03-23-2007, 05:48 PM
That speaks for the quality of Baltimore's bullpen, not Tracey's trade value. Every scout under the sun knows of Sean's control problems and troublesome mechanics. It was just a matter of time before he ran out of options, so why in the world would anyone have traded for him?

Remember the Bajaneru for Cintron and Marte for Mac trades?

These trades happen all the time and maybe, they could have gotten something for him who knows?

spiffie
03-23-2007, 05:51 PM

These trades happen all the time and maybe, they could have gotten something for him who knows?
I would assume Kenny Williams knows, and since he was released rather than traded, I'm going to guess that you are wrong in your assessment.

SoxxoS
03-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Yeah, what does KW know? He definitely doesnt have one of those things you dial to talk to other GM's about players. He doesnt make trades that often. KW probably just didnt like him and said "to hell with you, Sean."

KRS1
03-23-2007, 05:53 PM

There's always something out there for a guy with his kind of arm. Control problems or not. He has been a good pitcher in the minors, and throws heat. Look at the kid we gave up Chris Stewart for. Unaccomplished, minor league pitcher, who throws gas, and really lacks control. People saying there was 0 trade market out there for him are sadly mistaken, because there's always something out the for a guy with his arm.

The fact that we kept Oneli Perez, Carlos Vasquez, and Dewon Day on our 40-man over his really baffles me. Perhaps, KW just did what he felt was right. He has always said he doesnt want to hold players back, and will give them every opportunity to move forward. It's not like we could have gotten the moon and the sun for him, so maybe it was just a move to accomidate a player on KW's behalf.

goon
03-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Yeah, almost hitting a guy inside and then popping Michael Young in the ear speaks wonders of his amazing location...

Floyd hit Young.

FarWestChicago
03-23-2007, 06:07 PM

That is the downside of Guillen tossing his players under the bus. His feelings about them become pretty well known. Now Sean's performance was what devalued him - not Guillen. But Guillen didn't help.Fire Ozzie now!!

IndianWhiteSox
03-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah, what does KW know? He definitely doesnt have one of those things you dial to talk to other GM's about players. He doesnt make trades that often. KW probably just didnt like him and said "to hell with you, Sean."

I never said I knew more than KW, I know he's the best GM in baseball. Man, what is with the people here trying to put other thoughts in my posts?
:angry:

santo=dorf
03-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Pitchers being claimed off of waivers =/= pitchers have no trade value. The closer for the 2005 World Champs was claimed off waivers before the season.

GM's try to be sneaky when removing players from the 40 man. Looks like this one may have backfired considering there were better canidates to take off the 40 man.

drewcifer
03-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Floyd hit Young.

That is exactly right.

Tracey is the guy who got stretched out last year by Ozzie, allegedly, for NOT hitting anyone on the Rangers in retaliation for AJ getting drilled twice by Padilla.

JB98
03-23-2007, 07:31 PM
This sucks. I know I'm probably the only supporter he still has here, but I really liked Sean. I wish him all the best, and hope he goes on to do great things in the majors.

Sean is a guy who probably needed a change of scenery. He has a good arm, but he can't find the plate with a compass.

Timmy D's
03-23-2007, 07:55 PM
That is exactly right.

Tracey is the guy who got stretched out last year by Ozzie, allegedly, for NOT hitting anyone on the Rangers in retaliation for AJ getting drilled twice by Padilla.

Tracey had a job to do, and he failed. IMHO Ozzie didnt throw him under a bus, he threw himself under and his teamates under the bus by not accomplishing his task at hand.

FarWestChicago
03-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Sean is a guy who probably needed a change of scenery. He has a good arm, but he can't find the plate with a compass.He should start by finding his ass with both hands and a road map. Of course, it's all Ozzie's fault the guy is a moron.

Gregory Pratt
03-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Tracey sucks. He couldn't hit the broadside of Hank Blalock's ass and he can't throw it over the plate, either.

CLR01
03-23-2007, 10:57 PM
I don't think the new rules allow you to say Tracey sucks unless you have actually pitched at the major league level. :dunno:

California Sox
03-23-2007, 11:13 PM
I think this is a classy move by KW. At the beginning of ST he took Tracey aside and said that he didn't really fit into the Sox long term plans but if there was any way he could put him in a better situation, he would. Now he has. At 26, he wasn't going to be a major factor for us, not with Masset and Russell ahead of him. I hope he does well in Baltimore except against us.

rdivaldi
03-24-2007, 02:03 AM
There's always something out there for a guy with his kind of arm. Control problems or not. He has been a good pitcher in the minors, and throws heat.

Actually Sean was okay in the minors. He had some good seasons but nothing that would suggest that he would be a good major league pitcher. Too many walks, average WHIPs, not a ton of strikeouts.

I've never been a fan and never will be.

DSpivack
03-24-2007, 03:24 AM
That is exactly right.

Wait, who? Call me stupid, but the only White Sock named Floyd I can think of at the moment is recently-acquired Gavin.

Beautox
03-24-2007, 06:48 AM
There's always something out there for a guy with his kind of arm. Control problems or not. He has been a good pitcher in the minors, and throws heat. Look at the kid we gave up Chris Stewart for. Unaccomplished, minor league pitcher, who throws gas, and really lacks control. People saying there was 0 trade market out there for him are sadly mistaken, because there's always something out the for a guy with his arm.

The fact that we kept Oneli Perez, Carlos Vasquez, and Dewon Day on our 40-man over his really baffles me. Perhaps, KW just did what he felt was right. He has always said he doesnt want to hold players back, and will give them every opportunity to move forward. It's not like we could have gotten the moon and the sun for him, so maybe it was just a move to accomidate a player on KW's behalf.

i couldn't agree more, Sean is a very rare breed of pitcher that not only strikes out a ton of hitters; he also induces alot of ground balls.

"[Delmon Young] (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/050804dish.html) on White Sox righthander Sean Tracey: "He's a competitor. He made me look like a fool the last time I faced him. He kept mixing it up in and out, changing speeds and it looked exactly the same out of his hand every time.""

baseball analysts (http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2005/08/the_king_cavali.php)

People thought Thornton was junk when he came over, Tracey is going to be working Mazzone; put that into perspective.

the fact that hes 26 turning 27 this year is a non issue, look at Thornton and Proctor. sometimes it takes a bit longer to figure it out at the ML level.

RKMeibalane
03-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Wait, who? Call me stupid, but the only White Sock named Floyd I can think of at the moment is recently-acquired Gavin.

Is that you, Chip?

IndianWhiteSox
03-24-2007, 02:21 PM
i couldn't agree more, Sean is a very rare breed of pitcher that not only strikes out a ton of hitters; he also induces alot of ground balls.

"[Delmon Young] (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/050804dish.html) on White Sox righthander Sean Tracey:"He's a competitor. He made me look like a fool the last time I faced him. He kept mixing it up in and out, changing speeds and it looked exactly the same out of his hand every time.""

baseball analysts (http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2005/08/the_king_cavali.php)

People thought Thornton was junk when he came over, Tracey is going to be working Mazzone; put that into perspective.

the fact that hes 26 turning 27 this year is a non issue, look at Thornton and Proctor. sometimes it takes a bit longer to figure it out at the ML level.

That is a good point, as some pitchers take off when they're in their late 20's and pitch into their mid 40's, while putting up good numbers.

Tragg
03-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Tracey had a job to do, and he failed. IMHO Ozzie didnt throw him under a bus, he threw himself under and his teamates under the bus by not accomplishing his task at hand.
Vasquez was the pitcher at the time; his services as designated headhunter were not requested.

There's no question, however, that Showalter was headhunting...just hate to see us go down to the level of that egotistical loser.

rdivaldi
03-24-2007, 06:20 PM

What?! :?:

Sean Tracey never struck out more than 8 guys per 9 IP in the minors for crying out loud. He might induce ground balls decently, but it in no way makes up for his wildness and inability to keep guys off base. This thread is getting absolutely ridiculous.

TomBradley72
03-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Sean is a very rare breed of pitcher that not only strikes out a ton of hitters; he also induces alot of ground balls.

27 year old AAA pitchers aren't a "rare breed" of anything. He'll bounce around for a few years of mediocre results...then into oblivion.

Timmy D's
03-24-2007, 08:10 PM
27 year old AAA pitchers aren't a "rare breed" of anything. He'll bounce around for a few years of mediocre results...then into oblivion.

Maybe he'll grow a pair during his travels.:redneck

KRS1
03-24-2007, 08:13 PM
What?! :?:

Sean Tracey never struck out more than 8 guys per 9 IP in the minors for crying out loud. He might induce ground balls decently, but it in no way makes up for his wildness and inability to keep guys off base. This thread is getting absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah. I never went that far. I'm obviously a supporter of him, but the guy wasnt a strikeout artist at all. He had a good(I noticed the quote earlier in reference to my saying he was a good minor league pitcher, and I completely stand by that statement. I didn't say he was a great, or stud pitcher, just meant that he has had good and respectable numbers in the minors which he has) minor league track record, and a good arm, thats about as far as I'll go in my dissapointment in seeing him leave.

soxinem1
03-26-2007, 08:22 AM
It is what it is.

If Tracey gets the final out of the regular season for his 50th Save of the season, the White Sox lose six pitchers to injury, and BAL goes on to win the World Series with him on the mound, then get upset.

Since that is not likely to happen, get over it. Players get moved all the time, we can't stockpile arms like Tracey and hold on to them when there are at least ten others in front of him on the depth charts.

Maybe BAL can develop him and give him a shot instead of sitting at AAA with us most of the season.

maurice
03-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Unless my memory is crap, it's pretty clear what happened here. Wasn't there a story a few weeks ago saying that KW would give Tracey a chance to catch on with another org. if Tracey asked? My guess is Tracey asked and KW obliged.

In any event, it's crazy for Ozzie or anybody else to think that Tracey was scared to hit a batter. He hits batters all the time, mostly because he has poor control.

wilburaga
03-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Unless my memory is crap, it's pretty clear what happened here. Wasn't there a story a few weeks ago saying that KW would give Tracey a chance to catch on with another org. if Tracey asked? My guess is Tracey asked and KW obliged.

Yes, I agree. I think a similar fate awaits some of our second tier prospects, such as Rogowski, Lopez, and Heath Phillips.

W

soxinem1
03-27-2007, 07:33 PM
And now the Birds sent him to AAA. I guess he didn't impress too much in the whole week he was in the BAL organization.