PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy is still bitter...

kidmccarthy
03-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Interesting article from SI. He seems happy, only to be a starter. I think he wanted to be a white sox pitcher for a long time. Oh well... Those homer stats are scary. So is the pitching philosophy they are implementing in Arlington. 40 Homers isnt out of the question for him.

linky (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/john_donovan/03/23/rangers.mccarthy/index.html)

CLR01
03-23-2007, 01:36 PM
McCarthy needs to get on with his life.

SBSoxFan
03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Interesting article from SI. He seems happy, only to be a starter. I think he wanted to be a white sox pitcher for a long time. Oh well... Those homer stats are scary. So is the pitching philosophy they are implementing in Arlington. 40 Homers isnt out of the question for him.

linky (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/john_donovan/03/23/rangers.mccarthy/index.html)

I don't think the article made him sound bitter. Regarding "pitching to contact", I believe I heard that same phrase from Coop last week. Anyway, this was my favorite part:

... and the White Sox, still with one of the deepest rotations in the game, stockpiled some young arms for the day that their rotation begins to get too expensive.

UserNameBlank
03-23-2007, 01:44 PM
How did he say anything bitter? How is he bitter at all? The author of the article was the one insinuating that there must have been some unknown factor that caused KW to trade him. Why believe this tool?

Kenny picked up a guy in Danks who by all accounts has just as much potential and will probably be our opening day 5th starter NOW, plus he got a hard throwing late-inning reliever with closer stuff, and a prospect. McCarthy is quoted as saying he believes it is a good baseball trade. Right now it looks like that for sure, with KW quite possibly ending up with a steal.

Palehose Pete
03-23-2007, 01:52 PM
I agree that Mac didn't sounds bitter, just anxious to begin his career as a big league starter and see what happens. Contact pitching is OK if the pitches induce ground balls, but I always thought that Mac was a fly ball pitcher. Preaching contact to a fly ball pitcher in a hitter's park seems like trouble at the Ballpark.

I wish him luck except when he pitches against the Sox.

DumpJerry
03-23-2007, 01:52 PM
He's not bitter according to the article. He's a bit mystified as to why the deal went down. He seems happy with the situation there (starting).

kidmccarthy
03-23-2007, 01:54 PM
I dont see what's wrong with him being bitter. I was just pointing out the article. McCarthy can say it was a good baseball trade, but Its pretty obvious he really liked being part of the sox. I mean, I would be bitter having to pitch in Texas as well...:D:

Madvora
03-23-2007, 02:10 PM
I see nothing bitter either.

Is that just the assumption now when there's anything printed about McCarthy?

mccoydp
03-23-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure if he's bitter, but he's still dwelling on it.

Pitchers get traded all the time; it's a fact of the game.

That said, I wish him the best with the Rangers.

kidmccarthy
03-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Thats probably the best way to put it. not bitter, just not letting go. Bad headline. Im sorry.

Uncle_Patrick
03-23-2007, 03:43 PM
I don't know...reading that story, it seems the like the author was doing more speculating about the reasons behind the trade than anything else. McCarthy can only answer the questions being asked. I haven't read anything yet where a reporter is talking about the Rangers and Brandon shifts the topic towards the Sox.

Flight #24
03-23-2007, 03:48 PM
FWLIW given that it's ST:

McCarthy: 8IP / 7ER / 4HR / 7K for a 2.13WHIP and a 7.88ERA
Floyd: 14IP / 10ER / 1HR / 6K for a 1.50WHIP and a 6.43ERA
Danks: 12.2IP / 8ER / 2HR / 10K for a 1.34WHIP and a 5.68ERA

UserNameBlank
03-23-2007, 04:01 PM

Danks is looking like money right now. Maybe its a bit late for a prediction, but I think that not only is Danks going to be the fifth starter, he will have a better season this year than Brandon. I know it's early, but there is no way Danks gives up home runs at the rate McCarthy does.

Dibbs
03-23-2007, 04:12 PM

Well, from the article, it sounds like that is exactly what he is doing....getting on with his life. McCarthy said nothing negative about the Sox. I am still shocked the Sox traded him myself. Now we have no 5th starter again.

IndianWhiteSox
03-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Well, from the article, it sounds like that is exactly what he is doing....getting on with his life. McCarthy said nothing negative about the Sox. I am still shocked the Sox traded him myself. Now we have no 5th starter again.

Not like Mac was a sure thing either.

Dibbs
03-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Not like Mac was a sure thing either.

That is certainly true. I was just really excited to see him get his opportunity this year. Looks like Danks had a good one today though.

goon
03-23-2007, 05:28 PM
That is certainly true. I was just really excited to see him get his opportunity this year. Looks like Danks had a good one today though.

Yes. I find it a bit funny that Danks was a guy coming into the organization who looked to join the rotation next year, instead, he takes what would have a been McCarthy's spot; essentially, they just swapped spots on different teams.

There must have been something Kenny didn't like about McCarthy or he thought he was getting a deal with Danks and Masset. Maybe Kenny thought Brandon's fastball was too straight, he will give up too many HR's or maybe it was his attitude. Either way, it looks like Daniels made the trade because he needed somebody to plug into the roster this season, not necessarily because he felt McCarthy had a brighter future than Danks. After this Spring Training, Danks probably would have made the Rangers rotation and they still would have had Masset.

Good for us.

drewcifer
03-23-2007, 06:12 PM

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/fugnutz/mccarthy-ps-compressed.jpg

:whistle: "I deserve a break today...." :whistle:

Good luck in Texas, buddy.

oeo
03-23-2007, 07:01 PM
This trade is going to go down as a steal.

Vernam
03-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Danks is looking like money right now. Maybe its a bit late for a prediction, but I think that not only is Danks going to be the fifth starter, he will have a better season this year than Brandon. I know it's early, but there is no way Danks gives up home runs at the rate McCarthy does.To me, that's not much of a stretch at all. Let me put it this way: I don't think McCarthy is any more likely than Danks is to have a breakout year. Maybe less, based on 2006. Then factor in that we also got Masset, and calling it a steal might not even do it justice.

The writer, Donovan, seems sympathetic to McCarthy but has to concede that he completely stunk it up last year. The rationalization is:

Still, everybody knew that McCarthy was not a reliever. He was killing time in the bullpen, waiting his turn. He was going to be, all along, the young boost that the White Sox needed in their rotation.If that's what McCarthy himself actually thinks, he's a piece of **** so far as I'm concerned. He basked in the glory of the world championship, then let the whole organization down in 2006. Either he was over-rated to begin with or he has the goods but didn't play to his potential because he felt out of place in the bullpen. :whiner: Either way, screw him and we're better off without him if Danks stays on track.

Vernam

oeo
03-23-2007, 10:59 PM
If that's what McCarthy himself actually thinks, he's a piece of **** so far as I'm concerned. He basked in the glory of the world championship, then let the whole organization down in 2006. Either he was over-rated to begin with or he has the goods but didn't play to his potential because he felt out of place in the bullpen. :whiner: Either way, screw him and we're better off without him if Danks stays on track.

I don't buy the reliever crap. He gives up a ****load of homeruns. He did it in 2005, in 2006, and now he's doing it this year in Spring Training. I don't see that changing, which will probably put him as a low-rotation starter, in contrast to the #2 or #3 guy he was supposed to be.

IlliniSox4Life
03-23-2007, 11:08 PM
I think ol' fingernails will improve a bit the more innings he gets. And for him, he will have a better chance to get those innings in Texas than here, so he should be happy.

I think it's too hard to tell yet what the reslults of this trade will be, but it's turning out to look pretty good.

That said, I think Kenny's best trade to date was getting Thornton. What a steal that was.

Tragg
03-23-2007, 11:52 PM
I've always liked McCarthy - but admittedly that's based on a feeling and whimsy - the only tangible great thing he has done - and it was great - was that labor day game in Boston in '05.
BUT, he has hype going for him. Kirkjean started hyping him big-time in the spring of 05 and it spread and has never relented. I think Williams used McCarthy liked he wanted to, kept his mouth shut, and let the hype work its magic....a strong, strong package of young pitchers in return.

FWIW Williams did the same thing for Jeremy Reed - let the hype work its magic. Et tu, Chris Young?

cws05champ
03-24-2007, 09:35 AM
I agree, MCarthy was not bitter, he showed some class in his comments. If anyone of us that grew up a WhiteSox fan and then by chance got to pitch for the organization you loved since you were kid...and then got traded for what seemed to be no reason, I would be mistified and a little hurt as well. But he seems to be moving on. Wish him well!!!

UserNameBlank
03-24-2007, 09:52 AM
I agree, MCarthy was not bitter, he showed some class in his comments. If anyone of us that grew up a WhiteSox fan and then by chance got to pitch for the organization you loved since you were kid...and then got traded for what seemed to be no reason, I would be mistified and a little hurt as well. But he seems to be moving on. Wish him well!!!
Yeah I'd be pissed about that if it were me. But, I'd probably just hop in my new Hummer and fry gas all the way to some expensive restaurant, where I'd think about all my misfortunes over a giant steak. And every time I'd lift my hand to wipe the tears from my eyes or take a shot from a $200 bottle of scotch, I'd be doomed to attract some hot college girl with my World Series ring.

Yeah, I don't think I could ever get over that.

tick53
03-24-2007, 09:54 AM
:whiner: :whiner: Waa Waa. He's pitching in the major league, he's young and and he's going to make a lot of money. I can name a hundred people who would like to be in his place. I would have loved to been able to do that myself. Players get traded, that's what happens and it will probably happen to him again if he even has what it takes to even stay in the majors. I still wish him the best. I truly do.

IndianWhiteSox
03-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah I'd be pissed about that if it were me. But, I'd probably just hop in my new Hummer and fry gas all the way to some expensive restaurant, where I'd think about all my misfortunes over a giant steak. And every time I'd lift my hand to wipe the tears from my eyes or take a shot from a $200 bottle of scotch, I'd be doomed to attract some hot college girl with my World Series ring.

Yeah, I don't think I could ever get over that.

Fixed it for ya.

soxinem1
03-25-2007, 11:38 AM
After KW labeled him a 'serviceable major league pitcher' I wouldn't be too happy either, but he doesn't really sound bitter.

If anything, he'll have a chip on his shoulder just to prove he belongs in the majors as a STARTER. That's why I see him outperforming Vazquez, who has had an excellent spring throwing BP.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-25-2007, 08:04 PM

I second this opinion.

I'm really glad Brandon McCarthy is destined to get his tenth major league victory pitching for Texas. If he were any good last year he wouldn't still be waiting for this milestone achievement.

PaulDrake
03-25-2007, 08:48 PM
I see him outperforming Vazquez I don't expect Vasquez to be any better than he's ever been, and I still doubt that McCarthy will come close to outperforming him.

oeo
03-25-2007, 08:57 PM
After KW labeled him a 'serviceable major league pitcher' I wouldn't be too happy either, but he doesn't really sound bitter.

If anything, he'll have a chip on his shoulder just to prove he belongs in the majors as a STARTER. That's why I see him outperforming Vazquez, who has had an excellent spring throwing BP.

LOL...maybe you should check out McCarthy's numbers. That's batting practice pitching.

Just yesterday, he threw only 2 and 2/3, giving up 5 runs, on 6 hits, throwing in 4 walks. Want to change your prediction?

soxinem1
03-25-2007, 09:27 PM
LOL...maybe you should check out McCarthy's numbers. That's batting practice pitching.

Just yesterday, he threw only 2 and 2/3, giving up 5 runs, on 6 hits, throwing in 4 walks. Want to change your prediction?

No, I think he will still outperform Vazquez. Vazquez has been getting bombed all spring. There are about 45 million over four seasons of resons why I stand by my prediction. Being that he is a White Sox player, I hope he wins 30, but in reality, he'll struggle to win ten.

And when it matters, Javier will be 'The Bomb!'

oeo
03-25-2007, 09:43 PM
No, I think he will still outperform Vazquez. Vazquez has been getting bombed all spring. There are about 45 million over four seasons of resons why I stand by my prediction. Being that he is a White Sox player, I hope he wins 30, but in reality, he'll struggle to win ten.

And when it matters, Javier will be 'The Bomb!'

And McCarthy hasn't? He's given up FIVE homeruns this spring in only 10 innings. He's getting absolutely shelled.

So, a veteran that has proven that he can at least pitch in the big leagues (and will be pitching against other team's fourth starter) has a worse chance at succeeding than an unproven guy that gives longballs like they're birthday presents (who will be pitching against other team's third starter)? Your logic stinks...at least we know, at worst, what we're going to get from Javy; the Rangers have no idea what they're going to get from McCarthy (by the looks of it 40+ HRs). These are blind predictions by you.

I'd put my money on not only Javy having a better season than McCarthy, but Danks, as well.

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 02:28 AM
And McCarthy hasn't? He's given up FIVE homeruns this spring in only 10 innings. He's getting absolutely shelled.

So, a veteran that has proven that he can at least pitch in the big leagues (and will be pitching against other team's fourth starter) has a worse chance at succeeding than an unproven guy that gives longballs like they're birthday presents (who will be pitching against other team's third starter)? Your logic stinks...at least we know, at worst, what we're going to get from Javy; the Rangers have no idea what they're going to get from McCarthy (by the looks of it 40+ HRs). These are blind predictions by you.

I'd put my money on not only Javy having a better season than McCarthy, but Danks, as well.

The fact is, Vazquez seems like the guy who just needed to stay in a city for more than a season while MacCarthy will just be a flash in the pan like Kip Wells and Josh Fogg.

soxinem1
03-26-2007, 07:05 AM
The fact is, Vazquez seems like the guy who just needed to stay in a city for more than a season while MacCarthy will just be a flash in the pan like Kip Wells and Josh Fogg.

I'm not going to rip or downcast the guy because he is no longer here. There is no evidence that he is a flash in the pan, that judgement cannot be made for a few more years yet.

Fogg was a finesse pitcher tabbed as a reliever by the White Sox, and besides, he and Kip Wells are not part of this discussion.

I'm not some big McCarthy fan and I am not clamoring for him to come back, as I like the trade that brought him here. But I still say his next four years will be better than Vazquez will be, starting this season.

PaulDrake
03-26-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm not going to rip or downcast the guy because he is no longer here. There is no evidence that he is a flash in the pan, that judgement cannot be made for a few more years yet.

Fogg was a finesse pitcher tabbed as a reliever by the White Sox, and besides, he and Kip Wells are not part of this discussion.

I'm not some big McCarthy fan and I am not clamoring for him to come back, as I like the trade that brought him here. But I still say his next four years will be better than Vazquez will be, starting this season. It sounds to me like you're a big fan of McCarthy, and you're letting that cloud your vision. There is no evidence to suggest that McCarthy will have much success at the Major League level. He would really have to turn it up a few notches suddenly, and he's given no indication he can do that. His fastball isn't particularly fast, and is as straight as an arrow. He really needs that change of his to be effective. Vasquez, on the other hand has a track record, such as it is. With his array of pitches, much more formidable than McCarthy, one can even hope that some year he will put it all together like Loaiza did for us.

oeo
03-26-2007, 11:07 AM

I'm not some big McCarthy fan and I am not clamoring for him to come back, as I like the trade that brought him here. But I still say his next four years will be better than Vazquez will be, starting this season.

If you made those predictions after McCarthy proved himself at the big league level, that's different. The thing is, he isn't proven. Javy Vazquez is a proven big league pitcher (although not the greatest at times...he is proven). How can you make those predictions?

This is just like what you said about Danks...that he will be a ROY candidate. He has not shown that he can be the ROY...I don't expect that from him. I don't expect a Justin Verlander-type year from Danks...I expect him to just keep us in the game, like a 5th starter should do.

So where do you come up with these predictions? Every young, unproven guy is going to be better than a proven veteran? Makes no sense.

soxinem1
03-31-2007, 09:06 PM
If you made those predictions after McCarthy proved himself at the big league level, that's different. The thing is, he isn't proven. Javy Vazquez is a proven big league pitcher (although not the greatest at times...he is proven). How can you make those predictions?

This is just like what you said about Danks...that he will be a ROY candidate. He has not shown that he can be the ROY...I don't expect that from him. I don't expect a Justin Verlander-type year from Danks...I expect him to just keep us in the game, like a 5th starter should do.

So where do you come up with these predictions? Every young, unproven guy is going to be better than a proven veteran? Makes no sense.

Some of you guys make it sound like he had a 6.00 ERA or something. He gave up less than a hit per inning, and most importantly, held the fifth spot down during the stretch of 2005 as a rookie (remember El Duque having problems getting 3 innings in?), and really only had one bad month last year.

I remember Vazquez the past two seasons he pitched for a contender down the stretch (stench). Very unimpressive.

Spring training is exhibition time. Just like guys who have 0.90 ERA's and .455 AVG's in ST and wind up with an 8.31 ERA or .186 BA, it means nothing when all is said and done.

When the bell tolls, McCarthy will be fine, especially in the role he belongs in.

I have no problem with him being traded, and like what was received in return, but my prediction is that he has a very solid MLB career, and a better 2007 than Vazquez. At the very least, the cost per victory will easilly be in Brandon's favor.

And Danks can have a great year. He has top-quality major-league stuff and should be better than a Josh Fogg-type rookie year.