PDA

View Full Version : A few White Sox rumors


Jjav829
03-19-2002, 10:20 PM
courtesy of Bruce Levine from ESPN Radio 1000. While on with Mac, Yurko, and Harry from Arizona, Bruce Levine reports that the Sox are looking to acquire more pitching. (Big surprise, huh? :smile: ).

He reports KW spent about 30 minutes today talking with Dan O'Dowd from Colorado about acquiring Jose Paniagua. The Rockies are reportedly looking to acquire another catcher, and are shopping Paniagua. He said the Sox are hesitant to trade either Josh Paul or Mark Johnson because of the health concerns surrounding Sandy Alomar Jr.

Levine also reports that the Sox are looking for left handed relief pitching, but he did not give any names. Another reliever the Sox have interest in is Dan Miceli who is expected to be released by the Rangers due to their surplus of relief pitching.

Daver
03-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
courtesy of Bruce Levine from ESPN Radio 1000. While on with Mac, Yurko, and Harry from Arizona, Bruce Levine reports that the Sox are looking to acquire more pitching. (Big surprise, huh? :smile: ).

He reports KW spent about 30 minutes today talking with Dan O'Dowd from Colorado about acquiring Jose Paniagua. The Rockies are reportedly looking to acquire another catcher, and are shopping Paniagua. He said the Sox are hesitant to trade either Josh Paul or Mark Johnson because of the health concerns surrounding Sandy Alomar Jr.

Levine also reports that the Sox are looking for left handed relief pitching, but he did not give any names. Another reliever the Sox have interest in is Dan Miceli who is expected to be released by the Rangers due to their surplus of relief pitching.

Neither Johnson or Paul has any options left,so one of them is getting waived,someone is blowing smoke up something.

Chisox_cali
03-19-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
courtesy of Bruce Levine from ESPN Radio 1000. While on with Mac, Yurko, and Harry from Arizona, Bruce Levine reports that the Sox are looking to acquire more pitching. (Big surprise, huh? :smile: ).

He reports KW spent about 30 minutes today talking with Dan O'Dowd from Colorado about acquiring Jose Paniagua. The Rockies are reportedly looking to acquire another catcher, and are shopping Paniagua. He said the Sox are hesitant to trade either Josh Paul or Mark Johnson because of the health concerns surrounding Sandy Alomar Jr.

Levine also reports that the Sox are looking for left handed relief pitching, but he did not give any names. Another reliever the Sox have interest in is Dan Miceli who is expected to be released by the Rangers due to their surplus of relief pitching.

Thanks for the info Jjav
I wouldnt mind a Josh Paul for Jose Paniagua trade or give um Quintero or Evans hell I don't care.

Jjav829
03-19-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by daver


Neither Johnson or Paul has any options left,so one of them is getting waived,someone is blowing smoke up something.

KW was also interviewed today and said that he has not ruled out carrying 3 catchers on the roster because of Alomar's health.

Daver
03-19-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829


KW was also interviewed today and said that he has not ruled out carrying 3 catchers on the roster because of Alomar's health.

That kills the managers options,and would be a stupid move,Olivo is not much of a downgrade from either of the two.

THE_HOOTER
03-19-2002, 10:44 PM
If they make a move, you can bet it'll be before the opening of the box offices on Sat.

Why can't they go after Plesac? :?:

Better yet, what about talking Shaw into coming here? I assume money kills this deal though.

However, if we moved Howry it frees up a little dough. Wait, no one probably wants him.
:whiner:
I think unless we find another Lowe we will be stuck with what we have for now. :(:


:gulp:
:gulp:
:gulp:

Jjav829
03-19-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by daver


That kills the managers options,and would be a stupid move,Olivo is not much of a downgrade from either of the two.

It sure would. I would rather see that spot used to carry another pitcher. But if the Sox do carry three we're gonna hear about how wonderful it is that Mr. Versatile can fill in at other positions if needed.

:versatile
Im versatile! I can get thrown out at home,3rd, 2nd, or even 1st base!

Jjav829
03-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali


Thanks for the info Jjav
I wouldnt mind a Josh Paul for Jose Paniagua trade or give um Quintero or Evans hell I don't care.

No problem. I wouldn't mind seeing Paniagua here either. Bruce Levine is usually pretty accurate with his reports, so I wouldn't be shocked to see a trade like this in the next few days. Of course Im sure KW is still trying to tell Colorado that they're not getting Rowand.

HawkDJ
03-19-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER

Better yet, what about talking Shaw into coming here? I assume money kills this deal though.


If the Cubs can't do it, you can bet your life the Sox won't be able to do it.

OEO Magglio
03-19-2002, 11:09 PM
Don't get me wrong I like Aaron Rowand a lot, a trade sending him and Paul to Colorado for Paniagua would be great. I also like Josh Paul, but Miguel Olivo will be just as good if not better this year, and in the future so if Kenny Williams rejects that, it would be another stupid Kenny Williams move.

HawkDJ
03-19-2002, 11:13 PM
I would love if we could pull off a deal for Paniagua AKA Bread and water.

http://www.liv-n-well.com/bread.gif http://www.cityofbremerton.com/IMAGES/DRINKING/water-glass.jpg

RedPinStripes
03-19-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2


If the Cubs can't do it, you can bet your life the Sox won't be able to do it.

Maybe he's a cub hater too :?: :gulp:

HawkDJ
03-19-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


Maybe he's a cub hater too :?: :gulp:

I don't know many players who would rather play for the Sox than the Cubs and not only that but for less money.

OfficerKarkovice
03-19-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2


I don't know many players who would rather play for the Sox than the Cubs and not only that but for less money.

Dan Pleasac

Randar68
03-19-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I also like Josh Paul, but Miguel Olivo will be just as good if not better this year, and in the future so if Kenny Williams rejects that, it would be another stupid Kenny Williams move.


With all the people on this board who freak out about "rushing" pitchers, how has nobody said anything about Olivo. He needs at least one more season in the minors. While he is solid defensively, his game-calling skills need some considerable work. Last year was also the first real year where he showed power potential and a good OBP. Olivo needs probably half a season in AA and half in AAA, before even being given a shot next year in Spring Training.

pearso66
03-20-2002, 12:05 AM
i know most of you are thinking, oooh paul for paniagua, but you know back when we acquired CJ, we traded fordyce, one of our better catchers, so i doubt that they will take paul, if a catcher is traded, look for it to be MJ.

Daver
03-20-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by pearso66
i know most of you are thinking, oooh paul for paniagua, but you know back when we acquired CJ, we traded fordyce, one of our better catchers, so i doubt that they will take paul, if a catcher is traded, look for it to be MJ.

Josh Paul could put up good numbers in Col.I wouldn't count him out of a trade there.He has more pop in his bat than Mark does.

pearso66
03-20-2002, 12:14 AM
this is true, if they are looking for numbers, but if they are looking for defence, MJ would be the better

voodoochile
03-20-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by pearso66
this is true, if they are looking for numbers, but if they are looking for defence, MJ would be the better

Man I hope we don't trade MJ. If San DL-omar (thanks West) goes down for any length of time, this team will really struggle with paul behind the plate. Have to have a solid influence back there especially with all the young pitching. Paul is not ready for that much responsibility, IMO.

FarWestChicago
03-20-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If San DL-omar (thanks West) I think that was Kermits. :smile:

voodoochile
03-20-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I think that was Kermits. :smile:

okay then Thanks, :kermit

(that tag cracks me up...)

FarWestChicago
03-20-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
(that tag cracks me up...) It may be the best one in the library. :D:

kermittheefrog
03-20-2002, 12:29 AM
Ya know Coors field is the one place I'd take Paul over MJ. Paul makes more contact than Johnson and I think in Coors batters hit like .380 with a near .700 slugging when they don't strike out so just putting the bat on the ball in Coors field is a lot more important than in a sea level park.

LongDistanceFan
03-20-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Randar68



With all the people on this board who freak out about "rushing" pitchers, how has nobody said anything about Olivo. He needs at least one more season in the minors. While he is solid defensively, his game-calling skills need some considerable work. Last year was also the first real year where he showed power potential and a good OBP. Olivo needs probably half a season in AA and half in AAA, before even being given a shot next year in Spring Training. what were his stats after the cork incident?

Mathew
03-20-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
what were his stats after the cork incident?


I had the same question?

baggio202
03-20-2002, 02:51 AM
paniagua lifetime is 18-20...4.20 era..thats not that good for a middle man...but it looks like it a hell of alot better than what we got....i hate the idea of trading a catcher for middle reliever but if thats what kenny is thinking..let it be mr versatility...god i'd hate to lose mark and then have mr DL go down and we have to rely on .980 17% behind the plate....it would be a friggen merry go round

longshot7
03-20-2002, 03:24 AM
Think Colorado's stupid enough to take Alomar off our hands?
Naw, that'll never happen. Oh well, wishful thinking....

dougs78
03-20-2002, 07:08 AM
Why do the Rockies need another catcher anyway? Is Petrick really going to have to spend another season in the minors??? I truly doubt it would be Paul in the trade since I can't imagine that he would be any sort of offensive upgrade from Petrick. I would say if anything they might want MJ for his defense. But I really have no intimate knowledge of the Rockies situation, so I may be wrong.

Soxboyrob
03-20-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829


KW was also interviewed today and said that he has not ruled out carrying 3 catchers on the roster because of Alomar's health.

Why the hell do we have this wast of space Alomar on our roster anyway? Why was he signed knowing full well he's a broken down old fart that can't run, can't throw and can't hit? I'd take Paul or Johnson over him in a heartbeat. We have no business getting rid of either of those guys in favor of keeping Alomar.

Tragg
03-20-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829


It sure would. I would rather see that spot used to carry another pitcher. But if the Sox do carry three we're gonna hear about how wonderful it is that Mr. Versatile can fill in at other positions if needed.

:versatile
Im versatile! I can get thrown out at home,3rd, 2nd, or even 1st base!

LOL What is the Sox fascination with Josh Paul. Goodness.

kermittheefrog
03-20-2002, 12:45 PM
It's become pretty clear to me that the Sox have a bad player fetish. Upper management just isn't pleased (so to speak) if there isn't an offensive sinkhole like Alomar in the lineup. I was looking at a list of the 25 worst AL seasons since 1997 and 6 of the guys who were on that list were White Sox at some point in their career. The only other franchise that can say they've had 6 of that crew in their organization is the Devil Rays. I guess our only advantage over the D-Rays is that we've never traded Bobby Abreu for one of the losers on that list, Kevin Stocker.

Randar68
03-20-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
what were his stats after the cork incident?

Same as before. He claims to have used the bat for less than a week...

RichH55
03-20-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I would love if we could pull off a deal for Paniagua AKA Bread and water.

http://www.liv-n-well.com/bread.gif http://www.cityofbremerton.com/IMAGES/DRINKING/water-glass.jpg


YES...good old Jose Bread and Water....amuses me everytime I hear it

RichH55
03-20-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Tragg


LOL What is the Sox fascination with Josh Paul. Goodness.


Well if the Sox carry Harris than he does what Paul can do, same with Simmons, and with Liefer there to take the spot starts in LF and 3B...Paul would need to hit his way onto this team

RichH55
03-20-2002, 03:51 PM
For the 3 Catcher option...If Sandy goes on the DL can't we just call up a Catcher to take the roster spot? And even if you trade Paul(who could use a fresh start away from this board :cool: )...couldn't Evans play backup catcher/guy you cringe to see his name in the lineup(ala ALL our catchers)? Essentially Evans is a backup catcher for life, so why not get him an early start....Olivio could use the at-bats in the minors rather than bench-warming duties

RichH55
03-20-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice


Dan Pleasac


What is the current story on Danny boy these days?