PDA

View Full Version : Great Podsednik Article

ChiSoxGirl
03-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Given their recent negativity over at the Cubune, it's hard to believe someone from over there wrote something positive & encouraging (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070322sox,1,5951411.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) about a Sox player, but it's true!

That's Scott Podsednik, who not only has recovered more quickly than expected from sports hernia surgery but also has been playing in a manner that rekindles memories of his exceptional 2005 season.

"Granted, it's spring training," hitting coach Greg Walker said Thursday. "But everything I had hoped would happen has happened. He's right on track."

So far, Podsednik has distanced himself from a disappointing 2006 by taking more pitches, looking less vulnerable against left-handed pitchers and playing with more confidence in left field.

"He's not only healthy, he's more focused at the plate and looks to me like he's more focused in the outfield," general manager Ken Williams said.This is a great read and makes me believe even more than I already did that we're going to see 2005's version of Scott Podsednik leading off and out in the field for us this year!

jabrch
03-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Given their recent negativity over at the Cubune, it's hard to believe someone from over there wrote something positive & encouraging (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070322sox,1,5951411.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) about a Sox player, but it's true!

This is a great read and makes me believe even more than I already did that we're going to see 2005's version of Scott Podsednik leading off and out in the field for us this year!

If Pods, Erstad and BA are all healthy and playing well in LF/CF and at the top of the order this is going to be a very consistent offense instead of one that has a lot of sub 2 run games and a lot of 8+ run games.

Thome25
03-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I don't know what I'm more shocked about.....the fact that the Cubune wrote a positive article on the Sox or the fact that there's someone on WSI that's positive about Podsednik!!

Way to go ChiSoxGirl!!

soxfanatlanta
03-23-2007, 09:48 AM
I cannot say that I am a member of FOSP, but I am glad he is healthy; his base running skills was sorely missed last season.

ChiSoxGirl
03-23-2007, 09:49 AM
I don't know what I'm more shocked about.....the fact that the Cubune wrote a positive article on the Sox or the fact that there's someone on WSI that's positive about Podsednik!!

Way to go ChiSoxGirl!!

Thanks, Thome25. I've always been in Podsednik's corner, but haven't made that public knowledge too much because the number of haters far outweigh his fans. In this case, my support of him definitely had to be publicized. :smile:

IndianWhiteSox
03-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Quote:
That's Scott Podsednik, who not only has recovered more quickly than expected from sports hernia surgery but also has been playing in a manner that rekindles memories of his exceptional 2005 season.

"Granted, it's spring training," hitting coach Greg Walker said Thursday. "But everything I had hoped would happen has happened. He's right on track."

So far, Podsednik has distanced himself from a disappointing 2006 by taking more pitches, looking less vulnerable against left-handed pitchers and playing with more confidence in left field.

"He's not only healthy, he's more focused at the plate and looks to me like he's more focused in the outfield," general manager Ken Williams said.

I think if he really is as healthy and improved as everyone says he is, then we really have a great situation on our hands. As I think, if healthy for a full season, he can easily get 70+ SBS this year while batting .300/.400

Thome25
03-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks, Thome25. I've always been in Podsednik's corner, but haven't made that public knowledge too much because the number of haters far outweigh his fans. In this case, my support of him definitely had to be publicized. :smile:

Well count me in as one of his supporters as well. I have had many a battle with his haters in the not-too-distant past.

I just think that when healthy he's the key to the White Sox offense. It's obvious that he wasn't healthy over the past year and a half.

He is just an exciting and explosive player. He is great at one of my favorite aspects of the game of baseball......the stolen base.

For what he did during the 2005 WS he deserves the benefit of the doubt....especially if he's been injured for so long. He's shown that he's a true warrior by playing in pain for so long.

I'm not saying give him the benefit of the doubt FOREVER though. But, he deserves more free passes than your average player.

jabrch
03-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Quote:

I think if he really is as healthy and improved as everyone says he is, then we really have a great situation on our hands. As I think, if healthy for a full season, he can easily get 70+ SBS this year while batting .300/.400

I don't think he will get enough ABs to get 70 SBs. I also am not sure that a .400 OBP is likely. But if he repeats 2005 numbers (.290/.350) and does it in about 400 ABs so he steals about 40 bases, he'd be a huge inning starter at the top of the order.

IndianWhiteSox
03-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Well count me in as one of his supporters as well. I have had many a battle with his haters in the not-too-distant past.

I just think that when healthy he's the key to the White Sox offense. It's obvious that he wasn't healthy over the past year and a half.

He is just an exciting and explosive player. He is great at one of my favorite aspects of the game of baseball......the stolen base.

For what he did during the 2005 WS he deserves the benefit of the doubt....especially if he's been injured for so long. He's shown that he's a true warrior by playing in pain for so long.

I'm not saying give him the benefit of the doubt FOREVER though. But, he deserves more free passes than your average player.

Well considering the fact that he was ans integral part of 2005 and there aren't many other lead-off men in baseball that are worth a damn(especially for his deal at 2.9million), then you almost have to like him. Unless you want KW to give up the farm for Furcal. I would like that Furcal deal if all we gave up Boone Logan and Lance Broadway as they would pay for the whole deal.

MsSoxVixen22
03-23-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm glad to hear Pods is getting back to form! He's key to igniting out offense. When he gets on, it seems to "jump start" the rest of the lineup.

spiffie
03-23-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't think he will get enough ABs to get 70 SBs. I also am not sure that a .400 OBP is likely. But if he repeats 2005 numbers (.290/.350) and does it in about 400 ABs so he steals about 40 bases, he'd be a huge inning starter at the top of the order.
If Pods stays healthy all year I can't see Ozzie sitting him too much. He'll save the platooning for CF, and give Pods about 1 day off per week most likely. I'd say the BA/OBP about what you said, but closer to 60 SB.

UserNameBlank
03-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Quote:

:o:

ChiSoxLifer
03-23-2007, 02:45 PM
This is one of the reasons I'm not a big stathead. Maybe agents, general managers, and journalists like using all the crazy stats such as Dayne Perry always refers to. To me, that has just taken all the fun of baseball. I remember growing up watching guys like Ricky Henderson and Tim Raines get on base. Everyone in the ballpark and watching on tv just knew they were going to steal a base. It was all a matter of "Catch me if you can." I get the same feeling whenever I see Pods get on base. When he's healthy and running well, it just makes the game more exciting. Nowadays, you have statheads saying guys like Pods are a detriment to the game despite stealing 70 bases. You know what? I don't care. I never thought I'd say this but base stealing is a throwback to the good old days. GO PODS!

XplodingScorbord
03-23-2007, 03:19 PM
This is one of the reasons I'm not a big stathead. Maybe agents, general managers, and journalists like using all the crazy stats such as Dayne Perry always refers to. To me, that has just taken all the fun of baseball. I remember growing up watching guys like Ricky Henderson and Tim Raines get on base. Everyone in the ballpark and watching on tv just knew they were going to steal a base. It was all a matter of "Catch me if you can." I get the same feeling whenever I see Pods get on base. When he's healthy and running well, it just makes the game more exciting. Nowadays, you have statheads saying guys like Pods are a detriment to the game despite stealing 70 bases. You know what? I don't care. I never thought I'd say this but base stealing is a throwback to the good old days. GO PODS!

Right on, brother!

IndianWhiteSox
03-23-2007, 05:46 PM
:o:

That would be .400OBP, which could happen if he's making improvements from last year.

goofymsfan
03-24-2007, 05:03 AM

Way to go ChiSoxGirl!!

He's my favorite player and I'm always positive about him. I just don't post much about him for fear of being slammed.

ChiSoxGirl, Thanks for sharing the article.

IndianWhiteSox
03-24-2007, 05:08 AM
He's my favorite player and I'm always positive about him. I just don't post much about him for fear of being slammed.

Wasn't Pods' first team the Mariners?

kevin57
03-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I've always said that Pods was one of the key ingredients in the '05 season. His baserunning set a tone for the rest of the lineup. That being said, I do think that he's feeling some competition for the outfield (as he should)...or maybe he's needing a fatter contract, or...Lisa may be needing one. :tongue:

goofymsfan
03-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Wasn't Pods' first team the Mariners?

His first MLB team yes. I watched him play for the Tacoma Rainiers in 2001 and 2002. I watched him get his first MLB hit which if not for a (*&)(* third base coach would have been an inside the park grand slam, but instead was a bases clearing triple. He's been my favorite player since he was a Rainier and I've followed his career ever since, which is what brought me here.

ChiSoxGirl
03-24-2007, 02:57 PM

Same here. But in this instance, I went against that and decided to post about it because Pods has worked really hard to come back & get healthy as quickly as he has and deserves credit for it.

I'm wearing my Podsednik World Series player tee in support of him today. :D:

goofymsfan
03-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Same here. But in this instance, I went against that and decided to post about it because Pods has worked really hard to come back & get healthy as quickly as he has and deserves credit for it.

I'm wearing my Podsednik World Series player tee in support of him today. :D:

Cool

Can't wait for him to come to Seattle in May (a day after my birthday and again later in the year. I'll have my Scotty All-star Jersey and my Scotty WS Jersey's with me.