PDA

View Full Version : Roster speculation thread

A. Cavatica
03-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Tomorrow could answer the fifth starter question, if one of the two guys pitching has a great outing and the other doesn't. Haeger may have pitched himself out of the race today (though he could still earn a bullpen spot).

Haeger's line today: 5 9 7 6 3 3

I think Logan has just about clinched a spot. His spring ERA is still zero after another perfect inning today.

Bukvich had been surprisingly good, but had a bad inning today, which is all the excuse the Sox need to send him down.

Reading between the lines, I think Terrero will not make the club. He got one at-bat today, when all the minor leaguers came in to finish up. But I bet he'll be on Kenny's speed dial.

JermaineDye05
03-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Even though he's had a great spring I still don't trust Logan, he had a great spring in 2006 but then when it really counted he just couldn't handle it. The game in Tampa Bay is when I lost my taste for Boone, that was just dreadful.

nodiggity59
03-22-2007, 10:05 PM
I think BA will make the team. Between Pods and Erstad's injury concerns, he should get 400 ABs at the least, and Ozzie knows this.

The 5th starter will be either Floyd or Danks.

The real question is who will be in the final 3 BP spots. Here's my guess:

Logan, Sisco, Aardsma

I think Haegar, Russell, Masset, and Gavin / Danks if they don't get the 5th spot, will be sent down. Ozzie will go with the pitchers with the most MLB experience for the BP.

JermaineDye05
03-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I think BA will make the team. Between Pods and Erstad's injury concerns, he should get 400 ABs at the least, and Ozzie knows this.

The 5th starter will be either Floyd or Danks.

The real question is who will be in the final 3 BP spots. Here's my guess:

Logan, Sisco, Aardsma

I think Haegar, Russell, Masset, and Gavin / Danks if they don't get the 5th spot, will be sent down. Ozzie will go with the pitchers with the most MLB experience for the BP.

Masset will be in the bullpen in my opinion, at least that's my hope. I'd take him in there over Aardsma and Logan.

sox1970
03-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Barring a trade or DL move, here's my projected roster:

Lineup--Podsednik, Erstad, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Pierzynski, Iguchi, Crede, Uribe

Bench--Mackowiak, Anderson, Hall, Ozuna, Cintron

Rotation--Contreras, Garland, Buehrle, Vazquez, Floyd

Bullpen--Masset, Logan, Sisco, MacDougal, Thornton, Jenks

CUTS--Danks, Russell, Bukvich, Haeger, Aardsma, W. Gonzalez, Perez, Terrero

Not going to be shocked If Jenks starts the season on the DL and Aardsma sticks. I have a bad feeling about Jenks health this season, unfortunately.

Jjav829
03-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Reading between the lines, I think Terrero will not make the club. He got one at-bat today, when all the minor leaguers came in to finish up. But I bet he'll be on Kenny's speed dial.

Possible. It's also possible that maybe Ozzie is just getting Terrero used to coming off the bench late in the game, since he would see some of those situations if kept over BA.

ondafarm
03-22-2007, 10:34 PM

Lineup--Podsednik, Erstad, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Pierzynski, Iguchi, Crede, Uribe

Not going to be shocked If Jenks starts the season on the DL and Aardsma sticks. I have a bad feeling about Jenks health this season, unfortunately.

I think Masset may get a season in AAA and they may send Sisco down to become a good starter. Haeger will probably stay in the pen and Russell, in a surprise move may also stay.

goon
03-22-2007, 10:48 PM
I think Masset may get a season in AAA and they may send Sisco down to become a good starter. Haeger will probably stay in the pen and Russell, in a surprise move may also stay.

Agreed. As much as I'd like to see Masset in the pen, they may bring up Russell after his great start a couple of days ago. Personally, I think Sisco has the capabilities to be great and should get the chance to be a Starter, his stuff is wasted as a reliever.

I'm really excited to see what all these younger guys could do... this next few seasons should be really fun.

A. Cavatica
03-22-2007, 11:40 PM
The #5 spot is still Floyd's and Danks' to lose, with the loser being sent down. I can't imagine them keeping Russell as a starter. If Floyd and Danks both suck tomorrow KW might just make a last-minute deal.

By implication, I think Logan beats out Sisco, because they won't have three lefties in the pen. Sisco hasn't had a great spring and could certainly benefit from consistent work.

That leaves two bullpen spots for Aardsma, Masset, Haeger, and maybe Russell to fight over.

JermaineDye05
03-22-2007, 11:46 PM
I think Russell will be sent down to either AA or AAA and rather than go back to the bullpen he'll probably start.

slowlearner
03-23-2007, 12:02 AM

I think you're dead on about Jenks. Nothing about him makes me think he will have a long, injury-free career. His build, his delivery, power pitcher, everything points to a very bright, very electric, but very short career. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see him lasting more than another season or two as our closer.

RowanDye
03-23-2007, 09:25 AM
I think you're dead on about Jenks. Nothing about him makes me think he will have a long, injury-free career. His build, his delivery, power pitcher, everything points to a very bright, very electric, but very short career. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see him lasting more than another season or two as our closer.

Not to be a censor, but I think you guys should keep opinions like this to yourselves. I don't even want to think about pessimistic crap like that. Luckily if something does happen, I think KW has acquired a lot of potential rolefillers behind Big, Bad Bobby.

sox1970
03-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Not to be a censor, but I think you guys should keep opinions like this to yourselves. I don't even want to think about pessimistic crap like that. Luckily if something does happen, I think KW has acquired a lot of potential rolefillers behind Big, Bad Bobby.

If I was optimistic about everything, I would have become a Cubs fan.

IndianWhiteSox
03-23-2007, 09:53 AM

The reason I may have to start to agree with you is that, in 2004 when they acquired Bobby Jenks from the Angels, the doctors said that since he has a screw in his arm, his career probably won't last long. However, I tend to disagree as he will set records for being the all-time leader in saves for the Sox and MLB. Also he will be the first to have 500 saves in a career. But in reality, I hope that his arm doesn't fall off in the 2-3 years and he can still maintain that velocity, because I can see a time with him, where he'll have to get saves by throwing more off-speed junk with a fastball that tops out at 92mph.

russ99
03-23-2007, 10:03 AM
The reason I may have to start to agree with you is that, in 2004 when they acquired Bobby Jenks from the Angels, the doctors said that since he has a screw in his arm, his career probably won't last long. However, I tend to disagree as he will set records for being the all-time leader in saves for the Sox and MLB. Also he will be the first to have 500 saves in a career. But in reality, I hope that his arm doesn't fall off in the 2-3 years and he can still maintain that velocity, because I can see a time with him, where he'll have to get saves by throwing more off-speed junk with a fastball that tops out at 92mph.

If Bobby ever has a serious injury (hopefully not) his career could be short lived since all his breaking pitches are effective because they're keyed off the big heater. That's why his velocity loss this spring is a bit of a concern.

Still, Ozzie's giving him 3 innings on Saturday's minor league game to stretch him out and thinks his problems right now are mechanics. Also, Bobby doesn't usually reach peak velocity (100) until May/June. So I'm not worried yet.

I think either MacDougal or Thornton can close this season if needed, but neither looks like a long-term solution. The Sox could also convert Russell into a closer in a few years.

IndianWhiteSox
03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
If Bobby ever has a serious injury (hopefully not) his career could be short lived since all his breaking pitches are effective because they're keyed off the big heater. That's why his velocity loss this spring is a bit of a concern.

Still, Ozzie's giving him 3 innings on Saturday's minor league game to stretch him out and thinks his problems right now are mechanics. Also, Bobby doesn't usually reach peak velocity (100) until May/June. So I'm not worried yet.

I think either MacDougal or Thornton can close this season if needed, but neither looks like a long-term solution. The Sox could also convert Russell into a closer in a few years.

For the record, I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT JENKS FOR THIS YEAR OR THE NEXT. It's after that, which causes concern for me.

infohawk
03-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Masset will be in the bullpen in my opinion, at least that's my hope. I'd take him in there over Aardsma and Logan.
I think Masset is a lock for the bullpen. I don't even think there's any question at this point.

infohawk
03-23-2007, 10:32 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the Angels projected Bobby as a starter. I wonder if the same medical prognosis is applicable for a career as a closer throwing far fewer innings?

infohawk
03-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Even though he's had a great spring I still don't trust Logan, he had a great spring in 2006 but then when it really counted he just couldn't handle it. The game in Tampa Bay is when I lost my taste for Boone, that was just dreadful.
At some point he deserves another chance to stick. It's hard to send a guy down who hasn't given up any earned runs all spring. It would also be unfair to tag him as a guy who pitches great in the spring but won't have success during the regular season. It's not like he's had a whole lot of major league opportunities. If the Sox feel he can't perform in the show, they need to trade him. He deserves another shot. If he bombs again, then trade him.

White Sox Randy
03-23-2007, 11:35 AM
I still have a feeling that a deal is going to be made in the next week that will change some of this roster speculation - just a feeling.

chisoxmike
03-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Not to be a censor, but I think you guys should keep opinions like this to yourselves. I don't even want to think about pessimistic crap like that.

So were supposed to be a bunch of sheep and take anything KW and Ozzie says like its scripture?

The Sox have a history of failed closers and closers not holding on to their jobs very long. How many of you thought Shingo at the time was going to be our closer? What about Koch? How about Hermanson? You never know.

TomBradley72
03-23-2007, 11:42 AM
I think both Logan and Haeger will make the team (with Floyd/Danks dueling it out for the 5th starter).....I see Aardsma and Cisco (I'm assuming they still have at least one more option?) going to Charlotte for some more work. Logan gets in based on a stellar spring training and it looks like a little more maturity. Haeger gets in because of his flexibility (starter/reliever), ability to eat innings (post rain delays, blow outs, make up doubleheaders) to really preserve the bullpen, and he has the least to gain by returning to Charlotte.

I think Anderson will make it was well. Ozzie wants to make sure he truly earns it...I think he'll get there over the next week or so.

Side note...looks like we'll have some nice pitching depth at Charlotte waiting in the wings:

Floyd/Danks
Gonzalez
Phillips
Russell
Broadway
Aardsma
Cisco

chisoxmike
03-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Podsednik LF
Erstad CF
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Crede 3B
Iguchi 2B
Pierzynski C
Uribe SS

*I would love to see Dye bat third, but I doubt it would happen.

Contreras
Garland
Buehrle
Vazquez
:dunno: (Either Floyd or Danks. I think its going to be Floyd. If/when he tanks, Denks will be brought up from AAA.)

Masset
Aardsma
Sisco
MacDougal
Thorton
Jenks

*Unfortunatly it seems Logan is gaining points with Ozzie. So I bet if Sisco goes to the minors, Logan will take his spot.

Hall
Ozuna
Anderson
Cintron
Mackowiak

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-23-2007, 12:10 PM
So were supposed to be a bunch of sheep and take anything KW and Ozzie says like its scripture?

The Sox have a history of failed closers and closers not holding on to their jobs very long. How many of you thought Shingo at the time was going to be our closer? What about Koch? How about Hermanson? You never know.

Everybody knows that pessimism is only for dark clouds.

I think Masset needs a little more time in the minors, and he could become pretty good. I don't really trust Aardsma, he just seems too wild to me.

As far as our pitching depth right now, it seems that we have a lot of potential starters, but with the possible exception of Danks, no one who really projects high in the rotation.

White Sox Randy
03-23-2007, 01:43 PM

keep your opinions to yourself ! This is a message board.

A. Cavatica
03-23-2007, 09:37 PM
After today, I think Danks has just about locked up the #5 spot.