PDA

View Full Version : Your recommendations for a second "Last Stage of Renovations"

nug0hs
03-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Yes, I am this bored. I was just thinking today after seeing all the green seats finally implemented...what else could they do to improve this park? Personally, I think we need to update the ancient non-scoreboard information screens. The out of town scoreboard, for one, is a bit hard to see from the opposite side of the park and they could certainly add a bit more information/make things easier on the eyes. My suggestion is a replacement of both the out of town scoreboard as well as the left field message board. Both of these screens could easily be replaced with some type of display screen similar to the main one in center field. Although the left field board displays what a player has done at bat so far in the game, most parks have screens which display more information such as how ___ is batting on the season/the past few days/vs. current opponent, etc. I have sometimes heard from visitors that this is one of their main complaints as other stadiums have information like this accessible all game long. The old school signs with lightbulbs are outdated and need to go. Just a curious thought from me, not necessarily an angry rant. What do you suggest the office does to improve the park beyond what has already done?

ShoelessJoeS
03-22-2007, 06:03 PM
There have been a couple of threads about this in the past. From what I remember, bricking the bullpens seemed like a pretty popular request. Personally, though, I'd say get rid of that stupid McDonals's sign on the scoreboard and put in a clock.

Mr.1Dog
03-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Blue Seats Seriously I forgot who posted it in the other thread about the green seats, but putting arched windows around the outfield would make a great addition to the park. Obviously roof shots would be great but kind of difficult. An area in right field like the Fundamentals but more of a bar with tiered seating. Other than that, keep it as is.

tony1972
03-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Another World Series banner would be a nice updgrade...

FedEx227
03-22-2007, 09:29 PM
New scoreboards.

IndianWhiteSox
03-22-2007, 10:21 PM
I agree with Santo=dorf's sig in bringing back upper deck shots.
:cool:

Vernam
03-22-2007, 10:43 PM
New scoreboards.Yeah, that's my main peeve with the park, which is now beautiful in so many ways. You have to be VERY alert when a pitcher enters the game, because that's your only chance to see his stats. The strip screens between the upper deck and club level could have useful information instead of just commercials and player photos.

Vernam

Red Barchetta
03-22-2007, 11:30 PM
In addition to updating the scoreboards, I think they need to continue to "brick over" any exposed concrete on the concourse facade, pressbox, bullpens, etc. The brick work they have done on the main concourse, scout seats and Fundamentals looks excellent and they need to continue the theme.

Perhaps a Grand Entrance in the LF corner so that the park is more accessible from the L stop and makes the park more inviting from the Dan Ryan.

Replacing the outfield lattace with brick arches would be awesome, similar to the old church look that they had behind the players profiles on the jumbotron a few seasons ago.

Perhaps installing brick pavers in the outfield concourse, planting trees, shrubs, etc. and mixing in more player statues.

Lastly, a RF upper party deck that connects into the Stadium Club. Perhaps a Smokey Joes Rib type attraction that can mix into the RF bullpen bar, etc. (The kids get the LF corner and the adults get the RF corner).

Just some ideas....

oeo
03-22-2007, 11:57 PM
I agree with Santo=dorf's sig in bringing back upper deck shots.
:cool:

That "thing" (and I call it a thing because it's ugly as hell), does not match the character of the stadium at all. I'm glad they never put that atrocity in. And who's ever going to hit a homerun all the way up there...it's not going to happen.

Someone, I'm not sure who, keeps mentioning replacing the ads in the outfield with arched-windows and a concourse on top...I like that idea.

WhiteSox5187
03-23-2007, 01:22 AM
I think arched windows would be really cool, but I'm not so sure how you'd do that, bringing back roofshots would be cool too, but would require a complete reconstruction of the park. The park is so much nicer NOW than it was in 1991. But yea, I'd suggest trying to bring as many things from the Old park into the new one. Arched windows are a start. But there's not a whole lot else you could do.

IndianWhiteSox
03-23-2007, 09:35 AM
That "thing" (and I call it a thing because it's ugly as hell), does not match the character of the stadium at all. I'm glad they never put that atrocity in. And who's ever going to hit a homerun all the way up there...it's not going to happen.

Someone, I'm not sure who, keeps mentioning replacing the ads in the outfield with arched-windows and a concourse on top...I like that idea.

Well, that depends on how the upper deck is furnished. If it is able to blend with the upper deck in foul grounds, then it might no be so bad. I mean, with that upper deck, why not have a luxury box section in fair ground as well? That could probably even increase income by at least 20%. Let's face it, despite the truthful classifications of Sox fans being no good thugs who should all be in prison and have convicted records, I'm sure there are plenty of the ones who want to spend money on that for every game. Also, shouldn't there be a museum as well so they can honor the history of the White Sox? Then that way, for the sake of that "Sox fan" in PUC, they can make all the seats green putting those blue seats in the museum with a nice exhibit about those hits and everything else about the World Series and other pieces of history. Hopefully, when I buy the Sox in 10 years from the majority of Reinsdorf and Company, I'll make sure I make these additions with my own billions of dolllars(you know the ones I get from running multiple successful businesses in the US, England and India).

PS- If there already is a museum in the park and I never saw it please tell me, so I can edit it.

skobabe8
03-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Well, that depends on how the upper deck is furnished. If it is able to blend with the upper deck in foul grounds, then it might no be so bad. I mean, with that upper deck, why not have a luxury box section in fair ground as well? That could probably even increase income by at least 20%. Let's face it, despite the truthful classifications of Sox fans being no good thugs who should all be in prison and have convicted records, I'm sure there are plenty of the ones who want to spend money on that for every game. Also, shouldn't there be a museum as well so they can honor the history of the White Sox? Then that way, for the sake of that "Sox fan" in PUC, they can make all the seats green putting those blue seats in the museum with a nice exhibit about those hits and everything else about the World Series and other pieces of history. Hopefully, when I buy the Sox in 10 years from the majority of Reinsdorf and Company, I'll make sure I make these additions with my own billions of dolllars(you know the ones I get from running multiple successful businesses in the US, England and India).

PS- If there already is a museum in the park and I never saw it please tell me, so I can edit it.

There is, but right now its in the Scout Seats restaurant. Not really a museum, I guess. More like a large display.

twentywontowin
03-23-2007, 10:34 AM
A home run porch in right field that is identically symmetrical to Fundamentals. Would add that perfect balance back to the park.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-23-2007, 11:32 AM
An arch window type of scenario to replace the lattice work would be nice in the OF, but I'd like to see them at least repaint where paint is peeling. I saw alot of paint peeling on the UD and the lattice work last year....at least keep up with what you've already done.

chisoxmike
03-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Take the ads off the outfield walls.

Thome25
03-23-2007, 11:52 AM

What is The Cell?? Wrigley Field??(even though they just recently got ads.) The ads are NOT a problem.

Beer Can Chicken
03-23-2007, 11:53 AM
I always thought it would be cool if they put in 'golden box seats'

chisoxmike
03-23-2007, 11:59 AM
What is The Cell?? Wrigley Field??(even though they just recently got ads.) The ads are NOT a problem.

The big ones by the scoreboards are not a problem, they've been there for years. But not just at the Cell, at all stadiums, I hate seeing ads on the outfield walls. It's not as bad as it used to be. I remember when they had Office Max and GAP ads on the wall. They looked like the yellow pages.

TomBradley72
03-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Well...I've been bitching about the upper deck and the blue seats for years...so overall anything else will be gravy..but my wishlist would include:

"Archs" over the outfield concourse (already been suggested)
As part of the renovation...redesign the entire approach to the scoreboards...a chance to go with a huge CF scoreboard (ala Old Comiskey) plus leverage the new technology to have a much more detailed/up to date out of town scoreboard.
Add some personality to the various areas around the park via renaming (ie. Terrace Suites/Patio Area/Bullpen Sports Bar/Stadium Club) all get names that reflect our history.
All unpainted metal (ie. railings, etc.) is painted green
Clean up the outside wall of the park down the RF line (some of the photos from all the All Century team are looking pretty ragged)
Add a gift shop facility that has retail access from street level (maybe part of the grand entrance that has been proposed at 35th/Dan Ryan)
Side Note: You'd think someone would want to develop one of the parcels along 35th (parking/old warehouses/hot dog stand/old lamp company, etc.) into a bar/restaurant or two.

maurice
03-23-2007, 12:16 PM
They still badly need the grand entrance they designed for the N.E. side of the building. It's nuts that everybody coming from the el needs to keeping walking after they've already reached the building.

itsnotrequired
03-23-2007, 12:21 PM
This topic has been previously addressed and answered.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45780

Thome25
03-23-2007, 01:02 PM
The big ones by the scoreboards are not a problem, they've been there for years. But not just at the Cell, at all stadiums, I hate seeing ads on the outfield walls. It's not as bad as it used to be. I remember when they had Office Max and GAP ads on the wall. They looked like the yellow pages.

Ads on outfield walls have been a part of baseball for almost as long as baseball itself has been around. I mean look at old pics of Ebbets field...it has one of the most famous outfiled signs ever......"hit sign win suit"

DumpJerry
03-23-2007, 01:27 PM
This topic has been previously addressed and answered.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45780
The issue is slightly more reasoned in this thread. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64903

oeo
03-23-2007, 07:49 PM

Since this will never happen, what they should do is have all the ads' background colors, the color of the fence, like the XM Radio one. Those Pioneer one's and the bright yellow Comcast one are oooooogly. Safeco (at least I think it's Safeco) does a good job of this. At least make it look professional, not like you just plastered an ad right on the wall.

itsnotrequired
03-23-2007, 09:13 PM
The issue is slightly more reasoned in this thread. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64903

Reasoning? Pfft, "black labs rule" was ahead of his (or her) time.

:D:

tony1972
03-23-2007, 10:28 PM

I agree. Some ads here and there are fine..but when they completely overwhelm the park..it takes away from the feel of the stadium...

soxfan80
03-24-2007, 01:47 AM
grand entrance

WhiteSox5187
03-24-2007, 03:26 AM
I said this in another thread too, and it is probably just as stupid, how about painting the park white like the old one? I think that trying to make this park look as much like the old one is a good idea.

IndianWhiteSox
03-24-2007, 03:32 AM
I said this in another thread too, and it is probably just as stupid, how about painting the park white like the old one? I think that trying to make this park look as much like the old one is a good idea.

I really wouldn't see the point in that.

tick53
03-24-2007, 10:15 AM
There have been a couple of threads about this in the past. From what I remember, bricking the bullpens seemed like a pretty popular request. Personally, though, I'd say get rid of that stupid McDonals's sign on the scoreboard and put in a clock.

I've always hated that McDonalds logo. Replace it with with a white sock or Sox logo. If you watch Comcasts Sports Night, they show the board with a white sock.

SaltyPretzel
03-24-2007, 11:09 AM
They could put baseball sized markers on the concourse where home runs have landed like they do in Baltimore.

itsnotrequired
03-24-2007, 11:10 AM
They could put baseball sized markers on the concourse where home runs have landed like they do in Baltimore.

LTP would forever live in infamy...

WhiteSox5187
03-24-2007, 01:35 PM
I really wouldn't see the point in that.
It's not vital, but just trying to make the new park look as much like the old one.

IndianWhiteSox
03-24-2007, 01:46 PM
LTP would forever live in infamy...

So would Dan Pasqua, what's your point?

oeo
03-24-2007, 05:47 PM

All two of them? According to Scott Reifert...
This is far from official (because it is based on our memories), but to the best of our recollection, there have been two for certain concourse shots at U.S. Cellular and two that were borderline (and that we think would likely count).

The two for sure were Joe Borchard's (2004) and Mark McGwire's (1996). The two right on the edge were Frank Thomas (2002), which hit right on the railing of a handicap section in left center field, and Cecil Fielder's (1998) that hit off a beer stand in left/left center.So we'll have one for a roider and another for a complete bust of a prospect that no one will remember.

tony1972
03-24-2007, 07:46 PM
I think they should have someone at the gates who hands you cash as you enter and leave.

This would be a nice renovation.

Frater Perdurabo
03-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I want a massive CF scoreboard that extends from the LCF light tower to the RCF light tower. The top half should be a gigantic widescreen HDTV video screen. The bottom half should have room for a centered out of-town board and two large ads. Here's a rough sketch of what I have in mind.

itsnotrequired
03-24-2007, 08:18 PM
I want a massive CF scoreboard that extends from the LCF light tower to the RCF light tower. The top half should be a gigantic widescreen HDTV video screen. The bottom half should have room for a centered out of-town board and two large ads. Here's a rough sketch of what I have in mind.

During the action, the video board can show an image of the real view it replaced.

:rolleyes:

oeo
03-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Do you have any idea how ridiculously massive that is? I wonder how much that screen would cost...Jesus Christ.

We still need to keep the character of the ballpark. Although a bigger scoreboard would be nice, that massive board doesn't fit the character of the park. No one needs something that massive...I wonder if that would even be legal having that huge thing in center.

This goes for an upperdeck in rightfield, as well...this is a symmetrical park, and that's one of the things that makes it look so nice...you throw that atrocity in right field and I think it takes away from the park. I think the only thing that should go in rightfield is an identical deck to the Fundamentals deck in left.

twentywontowin
03-24-2007, 08:51 PM
So we'll have one for a roider and another for a complete bust of a prospect that no one will remember.

Dye had a shot last year that if the pillar for Fundamentals wasn't there, it would have made it up there.

I also remember Thome putting one very close to the concourse as well.

Can someone tell me where Borchard's landed? I remember it was a bomb, but that is about it.

Brian26
03-24-2007, 11:13 PM

Reifert only remembers two? What about Pasqua's in 1991? What about ARod's in 2000? I was standing right in front of the New Era cap shot, and ARod's homer hit the concourse and ricocheted off the back wall on one bounce.

Brian26
03-24-2007, 11:15 PM
During the action, the video board can show an image of the real view it replaced.

:rolleyes:

And if an airplane doesn't fly into it first and destroy it, it may be able to be seen from space on a cloudless night.

Brian26
03-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Can someone tell me where Borchard's landed? I remember it was a bomb, but that is about it.

RCF. I think it was at the top of the aisle between Section 105 & 106.

santo=dorf
03-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Pretty please? (Minus the hideous blue seats)
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3790&d=1136776812

itsnotrequired
03-25-2007, 12:29 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3790&d=1136776812

How do people get upstairs?

But more importantly, where will the players park?:cool:

WhiteSox5187
03-25-2007, 01:26 AM
I'd like for 'em to find a way to get rid of those ramps if they could, I know that that is the only way into the park, but it'd be great if they could get rid of those. They look silly.

soxfan80
03-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Do you have any idea how ridiculously massive that is? I wonder how much that screen would cost...Jesus Christ.

We still need to keep the character of the ballpark. Although a bigger scoreboard would be nice, that massive board doesn't fit the character of the park. No one needs something that massive...I wonder if that would even be legal having that huge thing in center.

This goes for an upperdeck in rightfield, as well...this is a symmetrical park, and that's one of the things that makes it look so nice...you throw that atrocity in right field and I think it takes away from the park. I think the only thing that should go in rightfield is an identical deck to the Fundamentals deck in left.while i hav eno problem with a right field upper deck, i can see the finanical gain to having a flat party deck in right, a la fundamentals.

Frater Perdurabo
03-25-2007, 04:01 PM
And if an airplane doesn't fly into it first and destroy it, it may be able to be seen from space on a cloudless night.

That's the idea. I want the Sox to be the most popular team among astronauts in space. :tongue:

IndianWhiteSox
03-26-2007, 03:50 AM

Plus the Bullpen sports bar and fundamentals, not to mention, there needs to be some more space between the lower and upper deck.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-10-2007, 08:08 PM
My recomendation doesn't concern the Cell itself, but rather the parking and tailgating areas. I'll add it to this thread, because it's the most recent thread I could find that discusses suggestions for renovations.
I'd like to see more greenspace around the Cell. Could a parking garage be added on a lot nearest the park, and say the lot nearest 38th street, be converted to a green parking lot? Each aisle of parking could be separated by a nice green area, complete with trees for shade. It would make for a nice picnic area. As it is, the most popular tailgating spots are almost always in the shade, with the little grass that ekes out an existence. Why not spruce it up, literally, and charge a premium for the ambience? A parking garage could replace the lost places, and if it's adjacent to the park, a premium could be charged for the convience ( I don't expect these improvements unless additional revenue results from them ). One other thing I'd like to see is a different way to collect the trash from tailgating. There are never enough garbage cans, and trash invariably gets stacked next to the nearest can. And then it blows in the wind. Can't a safe, and cost efffective method be designed, that allows people to dump their trash into below ground collection bins? By and large, people want to use garbage cans, but they fill up so fast. There has to be a better solution.

jabrch
05-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Dye had a shot last year that if the pillar for Fundamentals wasn't there, it would have made it up there.

I also remember Thome putting one very close to the concourse as well.

Borch's shot (and I was one of the 5000 people there - that game was dead near empty as it was a makeup for an interleague game that was rescheduled as a day game) was past the seats, onto the walkway in RF.

RadioheadRocks
05-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Haven't been to the Cell yet this season (last trip to Chicago was mid-March); this was from a post I wrote late last year, and I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet:
With all the retrofitting and upgrades, the Cell certainly has come a long way and the 2005 Series was the perfect showcase. One thing they need to take care of during the offseason is either clean up or replace some of those blue signs around the parking lots, some of those are looking mighty sad (big-time rusted-out posts and a couple of the signs have lettering that's no longer readable).

FielderJones
05-10-2007, 11:56 PM
It's not vital, but just trying to make the new park look as much like the old one.

The white paint made the old park look tired and crappy. You do realize that it was initially bare brick, and was that way for many years?

gobears1987
05-10-2007, 11:57 PM
The white paint made the old park look tired and crappy. You do realize that it was initially bare brick, and was that way for many years?
Yeah Veeck whitewashed the park. It looked better in the 50s before he did that.

gobears1987
05-11-2007, 12:00 AM
The big ones by the scoreboards are not a problem, they've been there for years. But not just at the Cell, at all stadiums, I hate seeing ads on the outfield walls. It's not as bad as it used to be. I remember when they had Office Max and GAP ads on the wall. They looked like the yellow pages.Ads on outfield walls aren't new. Look at old pictures of the Polo Grounds and Shibe. They have existed since the deadball era.

Parrothead
05-11-2007, 12:03 AM
A different 5th starter !