PDA

View Full Version : No Honda for Opening Day PA

havelj
03-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Looks like Honda is OUT for the home opener per Feder's column today. Tom Shaer filling in as in years past?

Honda, who's also been the voice of NCAA basketball at the United Center, will reprise the role for the Final Four in Atlanta.http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/307840,CST-FIN-feder22.article

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/district/Bo_of_Ed/images/Tom%20Shaer.jpg

AJ Hellraiser
03-22-2007, 01:56 PM
While it would be upsetting, this shouldn't come as a total shock.. Gene Honda is widely regarded as the best PA guy in all of sports.. he has been hired to do the NCAA Final Four and the Super Bowl in the last few years... He was also strongly being considered for the Oscar's until they chose to stick with the same old people that do it all the time...

skottyj242
03-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Doesn't he do it every year?

chisoxmike
03-22-2007, 02:11 PM
UGH!:angry:

Shaer BLOWS at the Sox PA. My God is he awful. Last year during the ring ceremony he goes "Paulie! Paul Konerko"

Opening day so far will consist of ****ty weather and Shaer...

:chunks

Jjav829
03-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Doesn't he do it every year?

Yes, and we have one of these threads every year. :smile:

MUsoxfan
03-22-2007, 03:33 PM
He's not any worse than they guy that does the Bears/DePaul games.

"Now coming to.................the plate, number 23................Jermaine............Dye.":cool:

skobabe8
03-22-2007, 04:15 PM

Shaer BLOWS at the Sox PA. My God is he awful. Last year during the ring ceremony he goes "Paulie! Paul Konerko"

:chunks

:rolling:

I totally forgot about Gene being in Atlanta. That really sucks, the season wont officially start for me until I hear him announce the lineups. On the other hand, I guess I would rather lose him for one day than not have him for at all!

ChiSoxGirl
03-22-2007, 04:36 PM

You said it, Mike! Shaer = :puking: . He was God awful on Ring Ceremony Day, but luckily I was so preoccupied with everything happening on the field that I managed to not let Shaer's voice bother me too much.

And also deserving of the :puking:emoticon is the Opening Day weather you mentioned. I know it's early and this can change, but according to accuweather.com (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipChg=1&zipcode=60616&metric=0), April 2 has a forecast that reads:

Snow and rain in the morning- High 43

Snow?! :rolleyes: :angry: And if you look at the link, the coldest day of the next several is April 2. Delightful. This better change, but it's basically stayed the same for the last three days.

cleanwsox
03-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Does anybody have a picture of Gene Honda? Wish I could put a face to such a great voice.

chisoxmike
03-22-2007, 04:55 PM
You said it, Mike! Shaer = :puking: . He was God awful on Ring Ceremony Day, but luckily I was so preoccupied with everything happening on the field that I managed to not let Shaer's voice bother me too much.

And also deserving of the :puking:emoticon is the Opening Day weather you mentioned. I know it's early and this can change, but according to accuweather.com (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipChg=1&zipcode=60616&metric=0), April 2 has a forecast that reads:

Snow?! :rolleyes: :angry: And if you look at the link, the coldest day of the next several is April 2. Delightful. This better change, but it's basically stayed the same for the last three days.

Wonderful start to our season.

MDF3530
03-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Does anybody have a picture of Gene Honda? Wish I could put a face to such a great voice.http://www.caaelii.org/events/geneHonda.jpg

FedEx227
03-22-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.caaelii.org/events/geneHonda.jpg

Bet that wasn't the face you had envisioned, was it?

MDF3530
03-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Bet that wasn't the face you had envisioned, was it?I knew that's what he looked like. I know he's also the voice for Channel 11 and I've seen him on tv during the pledge drives.

FedEx227
03-22-2007, 05:42 PM
I knew that's what he looked like. I know he's also the voice for Channel 11 and I've seen him on tv during the pledge drives.

I didn't mean you, I meant the person asking. People are usually surprised when they see him.

skobabe8
03-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Looks like an older picture.

MDF3530
03-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Looks like an older picture.It was the only one I could find.

goon
03-22-2007, 06:26 PM
A bit off topic, but did anyone ever find out if that rumor about Gene Honda not getting a World Series Ring was true or not?

HotelWhiteSox
03-22-2007, 07:06 PM
A bit off topic, but did anyone ever find out if that rumor about Gene Honda not getting a World Series Ring was true or not?

I hope not. That would be a shame. I am younger, so I grew up always hearing him at the games, I get a little excitement when the Sox are in the offseason and he's doing some event, it takes me back to the park. Sounds weird, but I guess like Nancy for the older people here

FedEx227
03-22-2007, 07:13 PM
I hope not. That would be a shame. I am younger, so I grew up always hearing him at the games, I get a little excitement when the Sox are in the offseason and he's doing some event, it takes me back to the park. Sounds weird, but I guess like Nancy for the older people here

I'm the same way, when I flip channels and hear Hondo on a Ch. 11 telethon I get pumped for baseball season even if its like December.

anewman35
03-22-2007, 07:35 PM

If you ever see him on a channel 11 pledge drive, he's usually wearing a large black ring. It's gotta be a World Series Ring.

anewman35
03-22-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm the same way, when I flip channels and hear Hondo on a Ch. 11 telethon I get pumped for baseball season even if its like December.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one...

skobabe8
03-22-2007, 08:17 PM

Im pretty sure that rumor was not accurate.

esbrechtel
03-22-2007, 09:12 PM
I remember going to a Blackhawks game about this time last year and when I heard him I got that feeling, I couldnt wait until I walked in the ballpark and smelled the kosher dogs and heard his voice announcing the starting lineups....

goon
03-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Im pretty sure that rumor was not accurate.

Well, it certainly seemed odd considering they handed out like 500 something rings, but I never heard any follow-up to the rumor. Thanks for the answers guys.

dcb56
03-23-2007, 05:11 AM
Wonderful start to our season.

Then why bother going if it's going to suck so much?

soxfan80
03-23-2007, 06:37 AM
Well, it certainly seemed odd considering they handed out like 500 something rings, but I never heard any follow-up to the rumor. Thanks for the answers guys.I doubt Gene Honda would want to keep working for an organization that didnt give him a ring, but gave it to everyone else.

itsnotrequired
03-23-2007, 08:03 AM
If you ever see him on a channel 11 pledge drive, he's usually wearing a large black ring. It's gotta be a World Series Ring.

It could be an Onyx ring. He was in that group, right?

http://funkysouls.com/img/onyx.gif

I think he's the guy with the hat.

skottyj242
03-23-2007, 10:57 AM
It could be an Onyx ring. He was in that group, right?

http://funkysouls.com/img/onyx.gif

I think he's the guy with the hat.

SLAM!!!!

cleanwsox
03-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Bet that wasn't the face you had envisioned, was it?

Well, I knew he was Asian.... but thats about it. :smile:

SBSoxFan
03-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Looks like an older picture.

Yeah, like his high school senior yearbook picture!

Viva Medias B's
03-24-2007, 12:20 PM
The White Sox should get Loyola public address announcer Pat Schultz to fill in for Gene Honda. Schultz, a big Sox fan, would do way better than Shaer. Hear that, Brooks?

kevingrt
03-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Frustrating he is at the Final Four AGAIN. I forget who we are stuck with but he is no where as good as Gene Honda, maybe Doer?

Oh well good money at the Final Four I bet.

ChiSoxGirl
03-31-2007, 07:53 PM
Frustrating he is at the Final Four AGAIN. I forget who we are stuck with but he is no where as good as Gene Honda, maybe Doer?

Oh well good money at the Final Four I bet.

We are stuck with Tom Shaer!! :puking:If you were at the Ring Ceremony last year, you know what I mean when I saw the public address announcing was the only downer of the entire ceremony.

itsnotrequired
03-31-2007, 08:00 PM
We are stuck with Tom Shaer!! :puking:If you were at the Ring Ceremony last year, you know what I mean when I saw the public address announcing was the only downer of the entire ceremony.

chisoxmike killed himself no less than three times that day.

:D:

ilsox7
03-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Well that sucks.

Gene.

anewman35
03-31-2007, 08:33 PM

I'd have to agree, it was so depressing when I realized that Gene wasn't there. Something so important should NOT have been left to Tom Shaer. Oh well, next year we'll get it right.

nug0hs
03-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Didnt we already go over this several weeks ago in a different thread?

MCHSoxFan
04-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Didnt we already go over this several weeks ago in a different thread?

Yes.

ChiSoxGirl
04-01-2007, 03:23 PM
chisoxmike killed himself no less than three times that day.

:D:

Yeah, no kidding! Between that news and what the Opening Day forecast looked like early on, he was ready to go ballistic! :tongue:

IlliniSox4Life
04-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Well, the bad news is that he is at the Final Four again, and will miss opening day.

The good news is we have the best announcer in sports every other day and he is good enough to be in such high demand for the FF, Super Bowl, etc.

caracascat
04-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Anyone but Shaer that guy is a total dork. Gene is one of the best in the business

BanditJimmy
04-01-2007, 05:34 PM
with technology these days, no reason why Gene cannot leave the player introductions digitaly recorded.

Gene Honda + Player introductions is what opening days is all about.

I'm ok with Schaer doing the in game announcements but not the pre game introductions, at least for the Sox players.

Chrisaway
04-01-2007, 05:37 PM

It will also consist of a White Sox winner!!!

MCHSoxFan
04-01-2007, 05:39 PM
I just came back from the Blackhawks game. Gene was not there. The OTHER guy was there:angry:!!

ChiSox524
04-01-2007, 05:57 PM
I just came back from the Blackhawks game. Gene was not there. The OTHER guy was there:angry:!!

Who was that anyway?

MCHSoxFan
04-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Not sure. Tom Shaer is doing the PA for the Sox tomorrow, it could have been him. Were you at the game?

TornLabrum
04-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I was at Friday's Hawks game and Shaer did PA.

ChiSox524
04-01-2007, 06:51 PM
I wasn't there today, but they had the PA announcer announce the goals on the radio.

I want Mags back
04-01-2007, 07:31 PM
While it would be upsetting, this shouldn't come as a total shock.. Gene Honda is widely regarded as the best PA guy in all of sports.. he has been hired to do the NCAA Final Four and the Super Bowl in the last few years... He was also strongly being considered for the Oscar's until they chose to stick with the same old people that do it all the time...
he does the super bowl too. that I didnt know. It would have been nice if CBS werent a bunch a ****holes and let him do the team intros instead of ****in Jim Nantz