PDA

View Full Version : Brian Anderson on Cold Pizza

Domeshot17
03-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Good, short blip. Basically he said he doesn't blame Ozzie if he started the season in triple A. Said he didn't hit well enough, K'd to much for a guy who didnt hit home runs and struggled with risp. Showed off his new tattoo and gave a plug to a friend of the families business.

One comment I liked is he said Erstad is a great team mate, and even though they are competing they help each other out and push each other to be better. Said him Pods Erstad, all the OF really want to see each player be the best he can. Kept saying he will do whatever it takes to become the player they want him to be, even if that is sitting the bench or improving in triple A

chisoxmike
03-22-2007, 01:12 PM
I would be shocked if Anderson starts the season in AAA.

soxfanatlanta
03-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Good, short blip. Basically he said he doesn't blame Ozzie if he started the season in triple A. Said he didn't hit well enough, K'd to much for a guy who didnt hit home runs and struggled with risp. Showed off his new tattoo and gave a plug to a friend of the families business.

One comment I liked is he said Erstad is a great team mate, and even though they are competing they help each other out and push each other to be better. Said him Pods Erstad, all the OF really want to see each player be the best he can. Kept saying he will do whatever it takes to become the player they want him to be, even if that is sitting the bench or improving in triple A

I hope he said that to KW at some point this ST. Did he sound like he believes he's headed for Charlotte?

munchman33
03-22-2007, 01:34 PM
I would be shocked if Anderson starts the season in AAA.

I would be shocked if he wasn't.

southwstchi4life
03-22-2007, 01:41 PM

me too

PaulDrake
03-22-2007, 01:42 PM
me too Me three.

AJ Hellraiser
03-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Me three.

Me four.

Jaffar
03-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Me four.
Me Five!

seventyseven
03-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Me Five!

Ooh! Ooh! Me SIX! Yes!

salty99
03-22-2007, 02:17 PM
ME 7!!!!!:supernana:

Bruizer
03-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Me 8 burritos for lunch! :bandance:

Domeshot17
03-22-2007, 02:22 PM
He sounded kinda afraid to say the wrong thing, but not like he was distraught or anything. The one blip they showed was his numbers vs. Erstad this spring, and Brian is having a better spring (20 less at bats though). (Brian .300+ 2 homers 5 , Erstad .270 0 homers)

I would not be shocked if he was in triple A. Ozzie seems to love Terrero (who has no options) and Brian right now can't do anything right (and has used only 1 of his options). You can argue if Brian does not win the starting CF job, he will be better off playing everyday in CF in AAA then 2 or 3 times a week as our fourth OF.

That said, I thought Erstad was brought in with the purpose of backing up all 3 OF sports and 1b. I like his signing a lot less if he takes the starting CF Job from Brian (especially with a very average spring).

Jaffar
03-22-2007, 02:26 PM
He sounded kinda afraid to say the wrong thing, but not like he was distraught or anything. The one blip they showed was his numbers vs. Erstad this spring, and Brian is having a better spring (20 less at bats though). (Brian .300+ 2 homers 5 , Erstad .270 0 homers)

I would not be shocked if he was in triple A. Ozzie seems to love Terrero (who has no options) and Brian right now can't do anything right (and has used only 1 of his options). You can argue if Brian does not win the starting CF job, he will be better off playing everyday in CF in AAA then 2 or 3 times a week as our fourth OF.

That said, I thought Erstad was brought in with the purpose of backing up all 3 OF sports and 1b. I like his signing a lot less if he takes the starting CF Job from Brian (especially with a very average spring).

Terrero has done even less, especially as of late to prove he belongs on the team. I thought the same about the Erstad signing and that's why I thought it was a good one at the time but Mackowiak was brought in to back up the corner spots and the infield while Anderson got at bats last year and look how that turned out.

Sad
03-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Me three.

Me four.

Me Five!

Ooh! Ooh! Me SIX! Yes!
ME 7!!!!!:supernana:
Me 8 burritos for lunch! :bandance:

MR. CHRISTIAN!!!

BRING THE ROPE SIR!!!

:tongue:

spiffie
03-22-2007, 02:32 PM

That's the sort of thing you want to hear from your young guys. Even if his time isn't right now, I feel confident with the future of the White Sox in the hands of kids like Anderson, Sweeney, Fields, Danks, Haeger, and Gonzalez.

AJ Hellraiser
03-22-2007, 02:54 PM

Whether Erstad starts in center or backs up the 3 spots shouldn't affect whether you like him or not.. he is a lefthanded bat and has a track record of being an above-average to very good hitter in this league... he brings a hard-nose attitude with him and more than anything, situational hitting... he can bunt, go the opposite way or do the little things to advance runners that the Sox sorely lacked a season ago... barring injury, it's a great signing regardless of what role he plays

soxinem1
03-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Whether Erstad starts in center or backs up the 3 spots shouldn't affect whether you like him or not.. he is a lefthanded bat and has a track record of being an above-average to very good hitter in this league... he brings a hard-nose attitude with him and more than anything, situational hitting... he can bunt, go the opposite way or do the little things to advance runners that the Sox sorely lacked a season ago... barring injury, it's a great signing regardless of what role he plays

He should be a back up, semi-regular, nothing more. His days of being a difference maker are over, and the days that he was were rare to begin with.

True, defensively he had a good rep, but to expect him to be anything more than adequate is unfair to both Erstad and the team to expect more. BA has more tools that just need major league at-bats to put it together, something Ozzie chicken****ed from last year.

And as far as Terrero is concerned, it is quite obvious that he is not the long-term answer, so let BA develop.

BA is the future, he should get the shot to get most of the starts in CF. Just let him play.

Jjav829
03-22-2007, 04:23 PM

me too

Me three.

Me four.

Me Five!

...and so on.

That was slightly annoying. :?:

On another note, if Brian Anderson doesn't make the opening day roster, I think I might have to avoid the Clubhouse for the first week or two of the season. It's going to be nothing but obsessive whining over Brian Anderson not making the team.

TomBradley72
03-22-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't mind Erstad getting the bulk of playing time against righties...but I hope we keep Anderson even if only to platoon against lefties...he'd still get 175-200 ABs...which I don't see as stunting his development. I'd hate to see Erstad/Terrero getting all of the ABs against lefties.

UserNameBlank
03-22-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't mind Erstad getting the bulk of playing time against righties...but I hope we keep Anderson even if only to platoon against lefties...he'd still get 175-200 ABs...which I don't see as stunting his development. I'd hate to see Erstad/Terrero getting all of the ABs against lefties.
That is stunting his development as I see it. It's not like he is platooning with someone who is a better hitter than he is. He is platooning with an aging veteran who, by all acounts and trends, is worse than Brian in every aspect of the game besides "leadership" and "grinderness." Last time I checked, no prospect has ever gotten first round money because of his HOF level grinderness.

Imagine the Sox trading Joe Crede, starting Josh Fields at 3rd, and after struggling through his first full season, deciding to platoon him with Russel Branyan.

Brian is ready. My only hope is that Erstad sucks bad enough early on that even Ozzie in his grinder-colored glasses sees it and makes BA the fulltime starter, moving Iguchi back into the two spot. And hopefully Thome out of the third spot as well. I have no idea why Ozzie doesn't want JD in that spot.

SABRSox
03-22-2007, 04:37 PM
That is stunting his development as I see it. It's not like he is platooning with someone who is a better hitter than he is. He is platooning with an aging veteran who, by all acounts and trends, is worse than Brian in every aspect of the game besides "leadership" and "grinderness." Last time I checked, no prospect has ever gotten first round money because of his HOF level grinderness.

Imagine the Sox trading Joe Crede, starting Josh Fields at 3rd, and after struggling through his first full season, deciding to platoon him with Russel Branyan.

Brian is ready. My only hope is that Erstad sucks bad enough early on that even Ozzie in his grinder-colored glasses sees it and makes BA the fulltime starter, moving Iguchi back into the two spot. And hopefully Thome out of the third spot as well. I have no idea why Ozzie doesn't want JD in that spot.

I don't want Erstad to suck if he starts. If he's playing I want him playing very well. But I also want this experiment to end quickly if he doesn't play well.

Jjav829
03-22-2007, 04:45 PM

Maybe it has something to do with Thome's career OBP of .409 (and .416 last season), compared to JD's career OBP of .339 (and .385 last season). However, I do think Dye should bat 3rd against lefties, and I don't understand why Ozzie never tried this last season.

OPS against lefties last season:
Dye - 1.075
Thome - .715

OPS against righties last season
Thome - 1.203
Dye - .972

And the difference is even more startling when you don't isolate Dye's career season and look at what they've done over their entire careers.

Career OPS against lefties
Thome - .764
Dye - .857

Career OPS against righties
Thome - 1.061
Dye - .814

Numbers aside, I understand why Ozzie would rather have Thome bat 3rd, and it's the right move. Thome is clearly the more patient hitter and will be on base a lot more in front of Konerko and Dye than Dye would be on base in front of Konerko and Thome. But that's only against righties. Against lefties, Thome struggles signficantly more. Ozzie needs to strongly consider switching around Dye and Thome based on the starting pitcher we're facing.

UserNameBlank
03-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Maybe it has something to do with Thome's career OBP of .409 (and .416 last season), compared to JD's career OBP of .339 (and .385 last season). However, I do think Dye should bat 3rd against lefties, and I don't understand why Ozzie never tried this last season.

OPS against lefties last season:
Dye - 1.075
Thome - .715

OPS against righties last season
Thome - 1.203
Dye - .972

And the difference is even more startling when you don't isolate Dye's career season and look at what they've done over their entire careers.

Career OPS against lefties
Thome - .764
Dye - .857

Career OPS against righties
Thome - 1.061
Dye - .814

Numbers aside, I understand why Ozzie would rather have Thome bat 3rd, and it's the right move. Thome is clearly the more patient hitter and will be on base a lot more in front of Konerko and Dye than Dye would be on base in front of Konerko and Thome. But that's only against righties. Against lefties, Thome struggles signficantly more. Ozzie needs to strongly consider switching around Dye and Thome based on the starting pitcher we're facing.

I see what you are saying and I think many managers in the AL would bat Thome third, especially statheads, because of his OBP. BUT, that isn't Ozzie's game. Ozzie's game is get 'em on, move 'em over, get 'em in or Ozzie/smart/smallball or whatever you want to call it.

Imagine this:
Podsednik singles to RF.
Podsednik steals 2nd
Erstad grounds out to 2B; Podsednik to 3B; 1 out
Thome strikes out; 2 outs
Konerko flies out to deep CF; 3 outs

JD, in Ozzie's top of the order, is much more suited to hit third because he makes contact and is ten times the situational hitter Thome is. Plus he has some speed as well, and he does get on base at a good rate. Thome IMO should be hitting 4th or fifth considering we also have lots of power in Konerko and Crede, plus AJ, Iguchi, and Uribe also have power at the bottom of the lineup. JD is just the most complete offensive player we have on this ballclub, and IMO your best all-around hitter bats third if you want to play the small ball game at the top of the lineup. If this was the 2003 Sox though, I think Thome batting third would be fine.

Vernam
03-22-2007, 05:06 PM
The idea of three straight lefties leading off doesn't appeal to me much. I realize (hope?) Ozzie wouldn't do that against Sabathia, Santana, etc., but I don't like swapping people in and out of the 1-2-3 slots. My preference is for those top three to be the same day in and day out. If Erstad shows he'll do what Iguchi did in 2005, then I'll happily admit to being wrong. A knock on Iguchi (not saying I subscribe to it) is that he doesn't hit lefties with good off-speed stuff. If you buy into that, switching him into the #2 slot to spell Erstad against lefties would be a mistake.

If Pods has a good year, all will be well IMO. If he doesn't, Erstad and/or Anderson need to come up big.

Vernam

UserNameBlank
03-22-2007, 05:12 PM
The idea of three straight lefties leading off doesn't appeal to me much. I realize (hope?) Ozzie wouldn't do that against Sabathia, Santana, etc., but I don't like swapping people in and out of the 1-2-3 slots. My preference is for those top three to be the same day in and day out. If Erstad shows he'll do what Iguchi did in 2005, then I'll happily admit to being wrong. A knock on Iguchi (not saying I subscribe to it) is that he doesn't hit lefties with good off-speed stuff. If you buy into that, switching him into the #2 slot to spell Erstad against lefties would be a mistake.

If Pods has a good year, all will be well IMO. If he doesn't, Erstad and/or Anderson need to come up big.

Vernam

No one on this team hit lefties with good off speed stuff last year. If it was a no-name LHP with a decent or better changeup, as Hawk would say "wrap it up and send it to Cooperstown."

maurice
03-22-2007, 06:15 PM
The idea of three straight lefties leading off doesn't appeal to me much. I realize (hope?) Ozzie wouldn't do that against Sabathia, Santana, etc.

Not as long as Ozuna is on the team.

ondafarm
03-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Erstad is a veteran player who can break down considerably easier than BA.

Ozzie will not push Erstad into a full time role, he will get him plenty of playing time, but BA will be with the White Sox not the Knights this year.

BUMMER
03-22-2007, 10:59 PM

Anyone see yesterday's (Wed) highlights? A ball dropped in right center for a single and another in left center for a double. Erstad looked tentative & slow - BA would have caught both of those!!!! I thought it was Mack out there, but it was Erstad - I'm not impressed so far - BA has had a better spring!

champagne030
03-22-2007, 11:08 PM

A better idea would be for BA to steal the photos that Mack, Erstad and Timo have in their possession. Ozzie is admittedly stubborn and doesn't like to be told that BA should be our starting CF, so he wants to prove everyone wrong by having someone else succeed.

goon
03-23-2007, 12:03 AM

Anyone see yesterday's (Wed) highlights? A ball dropped in right center for a single and another in left center for a double. Erstad looked tentative & slow - BA would have caught both of those!!!! I thought it was Mack out there, but it was Erstad - I'm not impressed so far - BA has had a better spring!

The biggest benefit that I can see with Erstad starting is that he can bat second, so Iguchi can be better utilized lower in the order. This is a much bigger deal than some people may think, being that Iguchi breaks up a very slow 4-5-6 string of hitters and he can now hit for power, instead of giving up AB's.

I wish Brian was a better hitter at this stage, he's had a great spring, but he has to prove he can do it in the season. I'd like to see Brian starting, but I can understand why Ozzie likes Erstad.

DocWolf
03-23-2007, 12:04 AM
will have more starts in CF in 2007 than anyone else. Barring a trade. Put it on the board.:gulp:

DumpJerry
03-23-2007, 12:09 AM
I have no idea where BA will be on April 2nd. My gut tells me it will be Chicago, not Charlotte.

One thing I do know is that he is a future All-star. You can book it. I only hope he is still in a White Sox uni when it happens.

FarWestChicago
03-23-2007, 06:01 PM
A better idea would be for BA to steal the photos that Mack, Erstad and Timo have in their possession. Ozzie is admittedly stubborn and doesn't like to be told that BA should be our starting CF, so he wants to prove everyone wrong by having someone else succeed.I'm absolutely certain this is a factual assertion. There is no reason to doubt it.

champagne030
03-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm absolutely certain this is a factual assertion. There is no reason to doubt it.

Glad you agree. Yeah, I'm certain there's photos around. Seriously, it was Ozzie's ego that had him keep running Mack out in CF and making a fool of himself in July and August.

goon
03-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Glad you agree. Yeah, I'm certain there's photos around. Seriously, it was Ozzie's ego that had him keep running Mack out in CF and making a fool of himself in July and August.

The situation was a little more complicated than that.

Madscout
03-23-2007, 10:19 PM
The situation was a little more complicated than that.

Not so much. On a team that preaches pitching and D, where the 5th starter was the best strike out pitcher, he put in a guy who is not fit to play CF.

Gregory Pratt
03-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Why would anyone on national TV want him?

UserNameBlank
03-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Why would anyone on national TV want him?

Because some people care about the Sox and the remaining issues with the makeup of their opening day roster. Not everyone takes an attitude of like "this player hasn't produced at the major league level yet, so he ust suck."