PDA

View Full Version : SI "Baseball Preview": Ho Hum, did ESPN write this crap?

ode to veeck
03-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Don't forget to vote on the best Sox fan site. We already have a thread on it and an early huge lead, but I'll also add the link here: www.si.com/whitesoxvote (http://www.si.com/whitesoxvote)

That said, I didn't even need the morning coffee to sink in and only a glance through to see the much heralded "SI Baseball Preview" is a bunch of crap. The Sox preview (we're picked behind the Kittens and Toons this year) talks mostly about the offense and mentions only the starting pitching, talking mostly about last year and doesn't even have a single referral to the stable of young arms Kenny scrounged up in the off season. There is a side box on Haeger and another on Jenks.

Overall the SI staff deemed the Red Sox, Yanks, and Angels as the top 3 teams in all of baseball (did the writers winter in a dive bar in Bristol, CT!?!) and the AL Central (which had 3 of the top 5 AL teams by record last year) has only the Indians within the top 4 in the AL.

Let's see, the Indians, who did make all kinds of off season improvements, the Tigers, who have all nine starters, still some of the best young starters, and 3 legit closers in the pen from a team that spanked the rest of the league in '06, and the Sox, who added a ton of pitching depth to the one of the most potent offenses year in year out, will all kind of suck and pale beside the shimmering Wrong Sox, Yank-Mes, and Halos ... only in the wet dreams of the Bristol Sports Network and Sports Illustrated.

The best highlight of this week's SI is in Letters where in a side bar they print a letter from OSU '86 grad John Schaeffer's word for word mocked up rendition of Col. Nathan Jessup's Oscar winning rant from A Few Good Men, reworded to defiantly describe and defend the Ohio State athletic programs (which were featured in a previous SI article). It's friggin' hilarious.

Jerko
03-22-2007, 10:22 AM
This is like the 3rd year in a row the Tribe has been the trendy pick. I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to them.

palehozenychicty
03-22-2007, 10:24 AM
This is like the 3rd year in a row the Tribe has been the trendy pick. I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to them.

You won't see it. They've had two good halves of ball over those past three years.

SoxFan78
03-22-2007, 10:30 AM
I have stopped paying attention to anything SI does since they screwed the Sox out of the front cover when they won the World Series (special edition does NOT count!)

palehozenychicty
03-22-2007, 10:33 AM
SI hasn't been relevant for years. Meh.

thegooch
03-22-2007, 10:33 AM
You won't see it. They've had two good halves of ball over those past three years.

Not to mention possibly the worst bullpen in baseball.

ode to veeck
03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Oh yeah, and the Twins, who had 96 wins last season and who have won the division 5/6 of the last years will be 4th, will be well into the 2nd division within the AL (8th of 14), in spite of the defending MVP and individual and overall team batting crowns. Sure the pitching staff is iffy past the ever strong Santana, but even the Twinks don't deserve the dissing in the "preview". I guess SI doesn't think baseball barely exists anywhere between the two coasts.

The Immigrant
03-22-2007, 11:01 AM
How anyone can discount the Twins is beyond me. They finished the season without Liriano and with half-a-Bradke and were still the best team in the division. I'm much more worried about them than the Tigers, whose pitching staff is due to return to earth, and the Indians - whose defense and bullpen are laughably bad. I expect a lot of close games in the AL Central this year, and the Twins are still best equipped to win the close ones. Our pitching will determine whether we have a legitimate shot.

VenturaFan23
03-22-2007, 11:09 AM
I have stopped paying attention to anything SI does since they screwed the Sox out of the front cover when they won the World Series (special edition does NOT count!)

That still irks me to this day :angry:

chitownhawkfan
03-22-2007, 11:44 AM

They do seem to be everybody's "sexy" pick. However I think you'll see Wedge fired before they even get a sniff of the playoffs.

IndianWhiteSox
03-22-2007, 12:19 PM
:whocares

Do we really need validation from SI or ESPN to know that we are a good team?

chaotic8512
03-22-2007, 03:38 PM
How anyone can discount the Twins is beyond me. They finished the season without Liriano and with half-a-Bradke and were still the best team in the division. I'm much more worried about them than the Tigers, whose pitching staff is due to return to earth, and the Indians - whose defense and bullpen are laughably bad. I expect a lot of close games in the AL Central this year, and the Twins are still best equipped to win the close ones. Our pitching will determine whether we have a legitimate shot.

Ramon Ortiz is in the rotation.
Carlos Silva is in the rotation.
Sidney Ponson might be in the rotation.

:puking:

Keep in mind that, without the contribution Liriano had in the first half (which will be replaced by the three wonderful pitchers above), the Twins are very hard-pressed to catch anyone in the second half of last year. But the starting pitching outside of Santana and maybe Bonser is just horrid. Plus, you can count on that bullpen being worn out because I think we can all agree that two pitchers with ERAs well over 5 will have their fair share of terrible starts.

Now granted, this team seems to always figure it out almost every year, but I think (and definitely hope) the Twins could be in line for a pretty big fall as bad as those 2-5 match up with nearly any team.

gobears1987
03-22-2007, 03:46 PM
The Tribe has no pen.

thomas35forever
03-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I still don't get why the national media is having wet dreams over the Indians. Maybe they realized the Cubs will never win another World Series and have decided to shower love on the team with the next longest drought. News flash: THE TRIBE IS NOT THAT FREAKIN' GREAT!!!!!:angry: