PDA

View Full Version : Sox experimenting too much?

HawkDJ
03-19-2002, 09:17 PM
I'm wondering when the season rolls along if the Sox will go for the win or try and get their young pitchers in. Manuel said Rauch will pitch out of the bullpen until April 9 when he is starting. If its a close game, is Manuel going to put in Rauch just to see how he does or will he pick the best pitcher for the situation? I'm not doubting Rauch's talent, I just don't know if you should put in a young pitcher for his first pitch of his career in a tight game. If he puts him in, it should be in blowouts.

Daver
03-19-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I'm wondering when the season rolls along if the Sox will go for the win or try and get their young pitchers in. Manuel said Rauch will pitch out of the bullpen until April 9 when he is starting. If its a close game, is Manuel going to put in Rauch just to see how he does or will he pick the best pitcher for the situation? I'm not doubting Rauch's talent, I just don't know if you should put in a young pitcher for his first pitch of his career in a tight game. If he puts him in, it should be in blowouts.

You underestimate John Rauch.

HawkDJ
03-19-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by daver

You underestimate John Rauch.

Maybe so. I know the type of talent he has. I don't really believe in young pitchers especially when it is their first outings of their career and especially in a close game. Hopefully he can prove me wrong, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with Rauch in tight games at first.

Randar68
03-19-2002, 11:25 PM

Maybe so. I know the type of talent he has. I don't really believe in young pitchers especially when it is their first outings of their career and especially in a close game. Hopefully he can prove me wrong, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with Rauch in tight games at first.

From everything I have seen, read, and from meeting both of them, Joe Borchard and Jon Rauch are two of the most mentally capable "prospects" of being pushed and not cracking. For them, there is nobody that will push or rush them any more than themselves. Also, each is very eager to learn.

In any scenario other than a god-forsake-injury, I can't see either of these guys failing to be great ball players.

Vsahajpal
03-19-2002, 11:36 PM

Donny? Is that you?

I agree with Jimy Williams, talent should win out. If Manuel thinks that highly of Rauch's ability (and why shouldn't he?), then he should be the man.

And I also side with Rauch getting his feet wet in the bullpen, so far it has worked for Matty Mo, and fellow gold medal Olympian Roy Ohhhhswalt.

And I expect Jon to do well, I'm not sure why he wouldn't be the right man in that situation. He's got the bulldog mentality, the electric stuff, the poise...

I don't think Dmitri Young is going to get Jon's heart beating any faster.

Randar68
03-19-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Donny? Is that you?

I agree with Jimy Williams, talent should win out. If Manuel thinks that highly of Rauch's ability (and why shouldn't he?), then he should be the man.

And I also side with Rauch getting his feet wet in the bullpen, so far it has worked for Matty Mo, and fellow gold medal Olympian Roy Ohhhhswalt.

And I expect Jon to do well, I'm not sure why he wouldn't be the right man in that situation. He's got the bulldog mentality, the electric stuff, the poise...

I don't think Dmitri Young is going to get Jon's heart beating any faster.

Now that's how you POST! :)