PDA

View Full Version : La Russa busted for DUI

kevingrt
03-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Someone asleep and not sober at the wheel, never a good thing especially for the manager of an MLB team. It will create for a most interesting media spectacle on Opening Day.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2807935

IndianWhiteSox
03-22-2007, 09:13 AM
It was because he was depressed about hi best friend Bobby Knight being eliminated from the tournament.

Seriously, I can't believe that him of all people got a DUI.

kevingrt
03-22-2007, 09:15 AM
It was because he was depressed about hi best friend Bobby Knight being eliminated from the tournament.

Seriously, I can't believe that him of all people got a DUI.

I think you meant that whole post to be in teal? But it can't be depression he just won the WS.

IndianWhiteSox
03-22-2007, 09:17 AM
I think you meant that whole post to be in teal? But it can't be depression he just won the WS.

Considering the fact that it was in teal, yes.

But not my opinion on the shock of him getting a DUI. That just seems odd that a guy who is known as a disciplinarian gets into trouble like this.

soxfanatlanta
03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Oops.

Undercover officers first saw La Russa’s SUV partly in an intersection around midnight and not moving despite several green lights, police said.Linky (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17735633/)

soxinem1
03-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Didn't LaRussa once do a 'Don't Drink and Drive' commercial?

If so, he should practice what he preaches....

oeo
03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Sorry to all the La Russa lovers out there, but...bahahahaha.

:roflmao:

dcb56
03-22-2007, 12:35 PM
You drink and drive. You lose.

"I wanna say it again...
Everybody plays the fool, sometime
There's no exception to the rule, listen baby
It may be factual, it may be cruel, I ain't lying
Everybody plays the fool"

VenturaFan23
03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
It's a good thing his foot was on the brake when he dozed off!

BainesHOF
03-22-2007, 12:50 PM
The Cards aren't going to be that bad this season, are they?

BainesHOF
03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
At least he can represent himself in court...if he doesn't fall asleep.

alohafri
03-22-2007, 01:13 PM
and the email version of the Tribune has a "headline" for it that says...."Ex-Sox manager arrested."

HotelWhiteSox
03-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Yep that pitching staff'll do it to ya. Just wait until the season starts!

PKalltheway
03-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Wow, I heard about this listening to some of the Jim Rome show. This is suprising!

SOXPHILE
03-22-2007, 01:32 PM
http://imgsrv.670thescore.com/image/DbLiteGraphic/200612/321807.jpg (http://www.670thescore.com/content_page.php?contentType=4&contentId=255234)

"Hey, what's da big deal ? So he had a couple cocktails. It's not like he was a danger to anybody ! He's still MY GUY !"

churlish
03-22-2007, 01:37 PM
What an idiot, and he should consider himself extremely lucky that he didn't harm himself or anyone else. His mug shot is hilarious.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0322071larussa1.html

QCIASOXFAN
03-22-2007, 01:44 PM
What an idiot, and he should consider himself extremely lucky that he didn't harm himself or anyone else. His mug shot is hilarious.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0322071larussa1.html
He was passed out in his car in the middle of an intersection, and the light was changing.:mg:

skottyj242
03-22-2007, 01:53 PM
I feel your pain Tony.

soxinem1
03-22-2007, 02:00 PM
At least he can represent himself in court...if he doesn't fall asleep.

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

or for Tony's sake, should it be:

:gulp:

soxfanatlanta
03-22-2007, 02:09 PM
I feel your pain Tony.

Has anybody been to Jupiter, FL? Nice town, but the night life is rather lacking to put it mildly. I only know of one pub near the ballpark. Where the hell was he drinking that night?

tick53
03-22-2007, 02:44 PM
http://imgsrv.670thescore.com/image/DbLiteGraphic/200612/321807.jpg (http://www.670thescore.com/content_page.php?contentType=4&contentId=255234)

"Hey, what's da big deal ? So he had a couple cocktails. It's not like he was a danger to anybody ! He's still MY GUY !"

North has more "guys" than Boys Town!! Tick53..MY GUY, SOXPHILE..MY GUY.

AZChiSoxFan
03-22-2007, 04:12 PM
That just seems odd that a guy who is known as a disciplinarian gets into trouble like this.

It does? Not to me. That's why I can't stand LaRussa and his head cheerleader, Booby (that's not a typo) Knight. They demand discipline and perfection from their players but have none of it in their own lives.

Vernam
03-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Didn't LaRussa once do a 'Don't Drink and Drive' commercial?Technically, the "D" in this DUI may stand for "Dozing," but I hope they throw the book at him.

Vernam

FarWestChicago
03-22-2007, 09:39 PM
He better hope the Man ignores drugs in front of him the way he always did with his players. But, I doubt he will be so lucky.

oeo
03-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Technically, the "D" in this DUI may stand for "Dozing," but I hope they throw the book at him.

Vernam

He was behind the wheel of a car in drive, at a stoplight. He wasn't "dozing" the whole time. I guess he just got bored waiting 30 seconds for the light to change.

esbrechtel
03-22-2007, 10:09 PM
That is a pretty moronic thing to do....Not only are you putting yourself in danger but you are putting the lives of others....people who drink and drive are jerks

IndianWhiteSox
03-23-2007, 09:56 AM
That is a pretty moronic thing to do....Not only are you putting yourself in danger but you are putting the lives of others....people who drink and drive are jerks

Yea, its really a scary thought when you have to think about dealing with drunk drivers on the road while driving.

Beer Can Chicken
03-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Scrolling thorugh the smokinggun website I'm surprised LaRussa took the breathalyzer, took the field sobriety test AND filled out the "Questions and Answers" questionnaire that they gave him. Isn't he a lawyer? Doesn't he know the only way to avoid a DUI is to be non-cooperative?

FarWestChicago
03-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Scrolling thorugh the smokinggun website I'm surprised LaRussa took the breathalyzer, took the field sobriety test AND filled out the "Questions and Answers" questionnaire that they gave him. Isn't he a lawyer? Doesn't he know the only way to avoid a DUI is to be non-cooperative?Dude was passed out in an intersection. I know his BAC wasn't that elevated, but he was torn down, no questions asked. Lawyerthink must have left him before he copped a snooze with the foot on the brake.

chaerulez
03-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Scrolling thorugh the smokinggun website I'm surprised LaRussa took the breathalyzer, took the field sobriety test AND filled out the "Questions and Answers" questionnaire that they gave him. Isn't he a lawyer? Doesn't he know the only way to avoid a DUI is to be non-cooperative?

In the state of IL, not taking the breathalyzer is an automatic 6 month suspension of your license. I don't know what it is in FL, but I'm sure they have some sort of punishments in place if you refuse to cooperate.

Mercy!
03-23-2007, 06:28 PM
when asked to recite the alphabet, LaRussa stumbled after "n." He claimed, according to a report (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0322071larussa5.html), that the letter was followed by "i, z, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, v, z, t, u, v..........x,y,z with a pause. :(:

Beer Can Chicken
03-24-2007, 11:53 AM
In the state of IL, not taking the breathalyzer is an automatic 6 month suspension of your license. I don't know what it is in FL, but I'm sure they have some sort of punishments in place if you refuse to cooperate.

Totally true about IL but in the long run totally worth the 6 month suspension b/c they won't be able to convict you.

ilsox7
03-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Totally true about IL but in the long run totally worth the 6 month suspension b/c they won't be able to convict you.

While it's much more difficult for them to convict you without a breathalyzer, it can still be done.

UserNameBlank
03-24-2007, 12:20 PM
It's never happened to me personally so I don't know, but I've heard that if you get pulled over when you're drunk all you have to do is stick your fingers down your throat to make you vomit. I heard a story once - don't know if it is true or some legend - about a guy who did that. Supposedly because the alcohol that would be coming up from your system would provide tests that are higher than normal, an officer has to wait at least half an hour to administer a test to someone who had vomited. The story I heard was that this guy vomited about three times and then passed the test because by then the alcohol was mostly out of his system and he had sobered up.

Does anyone know if this type of thing is true?

hose
03-24-2007, 11:45 PM

In Florida the cops confiscate their Little Rascal.

drewcifer
03-24-2007, 11:53 PM

:?:

Do you not understand what "automatic" means?

You don't cooperate, you get the conviction.

6 months, loss of license.

Get it??

Not taking the test is an admission of guilt, dolt. You don't win by being a drunken, belligerent, tool and refusing to do things. Only reason not to take the test, is for being a retard hippy or more likely, a drunk on the road. Everytime, all the time.

(Mod Edit: The reason you got a one week rip is highlighted above in this very color. It would have been just as easy to make your point without all the name calling and insults, but look at the bright side, your suspension will be over by Opening Day...)

ilsox7
03-25-2007, 02:14 AM

Get it??

Not taking the test is an admission of guilt, [deleted]. You don't win by being a drunken, belligerent, tool and refusing to do things. Only reason not to take the test, is for being a [deleted] hippy or more likely, a drunk on the road. Everytime, all the time.

And you're wrong.

Jack Parkman
03-25-2007, 02:17 AM
And you're wrong.

No he wasn't.

ilsox7
03-25-2007, 02:21 AM
No he wasn't.

Yes, he was. Ask any person who has stepped foot in a law school and they will tell you that one of the first things you are told is to never, ever take a breathalyzer b/c most decent lawyers will be able to defend you successfully without one.

Jack Parkman
03-25-2007, 02:39 AM
Yes, he was. Ask any person who has stepped foot in a law school and they will tell you that one of the first things you are told is to never, ever take a breathalyzer b/c most decent lawyers will be able to defend you successfully without one.

Wrong - That is completely stupid advice. You don't refuse anything the police ask of you - ever.

ilsox7
03-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Wrong - That is completely stupid advice. You don't refuse anything the police ask of you - ever.

Haha. That's pretty funny. Listen, I respect the police. But the police will ask and say things to people that they have no right to do. Just b/c a police person asks or tells you to do something does not mean you have to do it.

As for the DUI thing, it's a tired debate here at WSI. Do some internet searching, look up case law with people going to court without taking a breathalyzer, and you'll see that it is not easy at all to get a conviction for a DUI in IL without such evidence. It's possible, but in many cases, a good lawyer will successfully defend a person in a DUI case without a breathlyzer entered into evidence.

EDIT: Relevant IL law from 625 ILCS 5/11-501.2:

(c) 1. If a person under arrest refuses to submit to a chemical test under the provisions of Section 11-501.1, evidence of refusal shall be admissible in any civil or criminal action or proceeding arising out of acts alleged to have been committed while the person under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, or intoxicating compound or compounds, or any combination thereof was driving or in actual physical control of a motor vehicle.

Notice how it only speaks to the admissibility of the refusal? Nowhere does it say a conviction is guaranteed.

IlliniSox4Life
03-25-2007, 02:57 AM

Haha. That's pretty funny. Listen, I respect the police. But the police will ask and say things to people that they have no right to do. Just b/c a police person asks or tells you to do something does not mean you have to do it.

As for the DUI thing, it's a tired debate here at WSI. Do some internet searching, look up case law with people going to court without taking a breathalyzer, and you'll see that it is not easy at all to get a conviction for a DUI in IL without such evidence. It's possible, but in many cases, a good lawyer will successfully defend a person in a DUI case without a breathlyzer entered into evidence.

Without discussing the DUI issue specifically, JP is wrong. You have every right to refuse to comply with certain requests of a police officer. If a police officer asks to search you or any of your property, you can say no. He's going to ask because a lot of people will just let him, but without a warrant he can't do it without your permission.

It's never a good idea to be rude or disrespectful to a police officer (as it is never a good idea to be rude or disrespectful to anyone), but politely and respectfully saying no to a request is within your rights.

santo=dorf
03-25-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm guessing you're not a member of the ACLU.

Chips
03-25-2007, 01:10 PM

Get it??

Not taking the test is an admission of guilt, dolt. You don't win by being a drunken, belligerent, tool and refusing to do things. Only reason not to take the test, is for being a retard hippy or more likely, a drunk on the road. Everytime, all the time.

(Mod Edit: The reason you got a one week rip is highlighted above in this very color. It would have been just as easy to make your point without all the name calling and insults, but look at the bright side, your suspension will be over by Opening Day...)

Even if you do blow, you lose your license for 3 months. What is three more months? And you can easily get a JDP so you can drive to and from work.

And you're wrong.

What he said.

No he wasn't.

Ask anyone in general, they will tell you nine times out of ten not to blow. My lawyer told me that if you have only had a couple of beers and really are nowhere near drunkeness, you can take a chance and blow, but he wouldn't recommend it. If you already had a DUI, do not blow. If you cause damage to property or get into an accident, do NOT blow, ever.

That is completely foolish adivce. You do not have to do everything or anything the police ask of you. The less evidence they have, the better chance you have of avoiding any sentencing.

ilsox is 100% correct. I took the breathalyzer test and still avoided a conviction. I took the breathalyzer test because I actually thought I would "beat" it. I have also been told to refuse the field sobriety tests that are they ask you to take. Just let them arrest you and go from there. A conviction is not hard to avoid in Illinois, especially in Cook County.

Moral of the story is do not blow. And of course, don't get wasted and drive.

Beer Can Chicken
03-25-2007, 01:42 PM

Get it??

Most has been said already but I'll add one more thing.
There is a BIG difference between an automatic 6 month license suspension and a DUI conviction.

TDog
03-25-2007, 07:53 PM
The reliability of legal advice often depends on the circumstances, the jurisdiction and the attorney dispensing it. I have seen a lot of people convicted of drunken driving after refusing to take a breath test.

In Alaska, refusing a breath test is a crime that holds the same penalties (including a mandatory three-day jail sentence on first offense) as a DWI conviction. Still, for people who face prison time, a $10,000 fine and lifetime license revocation with a third-offense conviction, adviced to refuse may seem appropriate.

I also have seen people acquitted by juries despite breath tests that carry a presumption of guilt. I saw one woman convicted, and justifiably so, despite blowing a 0.00. Still, if I were pulled over on suspicion of drunken driving, I would volunteer to blow because it would prove my innocence.

Under no circumstances do I drive if I have had anything to drink in the previous eight hours, and I wouldn't drink if there is a chance that I might need to drive in the next eight hours. When it comes to drunken driving, the only universally appropriate legal advice is advice not to drink and drive.

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-29-2007, 11:49 AM
While it might get you off the hook for a DUI, refusing a breathalyzer hardly seems to be the right thing to do. I am surprised that people think that you should refuse the test. If you are driving while over the legal limit, you should be punished, because you are seriously endangering the lives of others.

Back to the La Russa issue, there is a Page 2 article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=law/070327&sportCat=mlb) about the issue. Keith Law argues that MLB, or the clubs themselves, should punish players, managers or coaches who are charged with DUI. He says that it is much more dangerous, and kills more people, than steroids.

I agree that there should be some sort of punishment for the offense, rather than just being swept under the rug. I don't necessarily think it should be more than the steroids issue, though. Steroids aren't a problem just because it is unhealthy, but because they are extremely bad for baseball. While this is also bad for baseball, it is not at the same level. I think a three to five game suspension would be appropriate.

AZChiSoxFan
03-29-2007, 01:13 PM
While it might get you off the hook for a DUI, refusing a breathalyzer hardly seems to be the right thing to do. I am surprised that people think that you should refuse the test. If you are driving while over the legal limit, you should be punished, because you are seriously endangering the lives of others.

Back to the La Russa issue, there is a Page 2 article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=law/070327&sportCat=mlb) about the issue. Keith Law argues that MLB, or the clubs themselves, should punish players, managers or coaches who are charged with DUI. He says that it is much more dangerous, and kills more people, than steroids.

I agree that there should be some sort of punishment for the offense, rather than just being swept under the rug. I don't necessarily think it should be more than the steroids issue, though. Steroids aren't a problem just because it is unhealthy, but because they are extremely bad for baseball. While this is also bad for baseball, it is not at the same level. I think a three to five game suspension would be appropriate.

Totally agree with the article (ESPN, Page 2). It infuriates me that this scumbag (LaRussa) got a standing ovation from the crowd the next day, like he was some sort of victim. Is it really that hard to call a cab, especially when money isn't an issue for you?