PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik Deserves Credit.

Thome25
03-22-2007, 08:43 AM
I started this thread because I wanted to give Pods some tremendous praise for his speedy recovery from a sports hernia.

It is absolutely amazing how quick he has recovered from surgery. I NEVER thought in a million years that there would be a good possibility that he'd be returning for opening day. He has come back in less that 2 months!!

It has put the Sox in quite a predicament but in a good way. We obviously went out and got Erstad because KW NEVER thought Pods would be ready this soon either.

I really have to give Pods credit. It shows how much of a warrior he is. A sports hernia is NOT fun and it's NOT easy to come back that quick.

Also, if his "good year-bad year-good year-bad year" trend rings true then Pods is due for another big year in 2007.

Podsednik has shown no signs of the January surgery to repair a sports hernia.

"Awesome" manager Ozzie Guillen said of Podsednik. "He really impressed me. I never thought this kid would run that way that well."--Quote in USA Today Sports Weekly

Jaffar
03-22-2007, 08:57 AM
I just don't want to find out into the season at some point that his overall numbers are terrible because he rushed it.

wdelaney72
03-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah, this actually makes me very uncomfortable. I agree, credit to him for working hard in his recovery, but this things shouldn't be rushed and I'd prefer him to be very conservative. Podsednik is a a dangerous weapen, but that's only if he's 100%.

Thome25
03-22-2007, 09:14 AM
I just don't want to find out into the season at some point that his overall numbers are terrible because he rushed it.

Yeah, this actually makes me very uncomfortable. I agree, credit to him for working hard in his recovery, but this things shouldn't be rushed and I'd prefer him to be very conservative. Podsednik is a a dangerous weapen, but that's only if he's 100%.

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue. I can see what you both are saying because that's what happened last year.

Hopefully not all injury situations are created equal and this one will be different.

From the way he has played so far, he has shown that he's ready. If he feels like he can go and shows that he's ready to go then why question it.

Pods has shown that he's a warrior and I believe that he's one of those "team first" type of players who's willing to put his health on the line to help the team win.

Granted, that mentality didn't help us last year but, hopefully the opposite happens this year.

Madvora
03-22-2007, 09:18 AM
His ability to steal bases is critical. I don't assume he'd be able to do that with regularity for a little while longer. I just hope he doesn't keep trying when he's not ready yet because he'll continue to get thrown out or even worse, get hurt.

russ99
03-22-2007, 09:44 AM
I don't think Ozzie will rush it, despite how good Scott looks right now. Brian Anderson will get a good amount of playing time filling in for Pods & Erstad for the first month or so. Once Pods (and Erstad for that matter) proves he's fully recovered, then the Sox will need to figure out what to do with Brian.

The Dude
03-22-2007, 09:47 AM
He deserves credit when he regains 2005 form and doesn't re-injure himself because he wanted to come back too soon in fear of losing his job.

Jaffar
03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I don't think Ozzie will rush it, despite how good Scott looks right now. Brian Anderson will get a good amount of playing time filling in for Pods & Erstad for the first month or so. Once Pods (and Erstad for that matter) proves he's fully recovered, then the Sox will need to figure out what to do with Brian.

If Anderson gets a ton of playing time in the first couple months I think the concern will be what to do with Pods/Erstad but I would have no problem platooning Erstad between left and center so hopefully that's what will end up happening.

jenn2080
03-22-2007, 10:24 AM
I will give him credit when he can catch the ball in left and is back to his 2005 form.

AuroraSoxFan
03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
I give him a lot of credit as well. It is impressive to see him back so soon. I just hope it is permanent and it doesn't linger throughout the season. I doubt the Sox will have the resources to play musical chairs in the OF, or at leadoff, unless they trade for somebody.

Standing Ovation
03-22-2007, 12:48 PM

I think BA might start the year in Charlotte.

Madvora
03-22-2007, 01:02 PM
I think BA might start the year in Charlotte.
Ozzie said in the paper that if the season started today Erstad would be the starting CF.

russ99
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Ozzie said in the paper that if the season started today Erstad would be the starting CF.

Starting. That doesn't mean every day for the entire month of April...

I guess the big question is if platooning would stunt Anderson's development as opposed to playing every day in the minors.

chisoxfanatic
03-22-2007, 02:23 PM

That's my concern too. Hopefully Erstad's the one starting for at least the first week of the season.

JermaineDye05
03-22-2007, 03:25 PM
As long as he doesn't get injured later on in the season as a result of rushing it. Also as long as we don't find out he used some type of performance enhancer to help as recovery faster.