PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal's Rotation

havelj
03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
The Redbirds rotation could be a force. The starting 5 of Carpenter, Wells, Reyes, Wainwright and Braden Looper have a combined 1.84 ERA this spring in 73 innings.

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/cards20flash.jpg

Crede_Fan
03-21-2007, 11:54 AM
The Redbirds rotation could be a force. The starting 5 of Carpenter, Wells, Reyes, Wainwright and Braden Looper have a combined 1.84 ERA this spring in 73 innings.

:o:
He's Starting?!

thedudeabides
03-21-2007, 12:03 PM
He's Starting?!

Yes, and apparently looking very good. I can't imagine him staying healthy all year, but the Cardinals always make something out of average pitchers. It reminds me of the Twins. Top to bottom, their rotation never looks like much, but it works out.

The Immigrant
03-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Does it matter? Didn't you hear that the Cubs already have the NL Central locked up?

balke
03-21-2007, 10:57 PM
They have no bullpen past Izzy right now. The Brewers have a great rotation too.

DSpivack
03-22-2007, 12:02 AM
They have no bullpen past Izzy right now. The Brewers have a great rotation too.

Call me crazy, but I think Brad Thompson is pretty good. Plus, one of the starters (most likely Looper, I would think) will be moving back to the pen (whenever Mulder returns). Some other guys could be decent (Rincon, Kinney, Springer, Hancock, Franklin).

They certainly are rolling the dice with that rotation, although I don't think as much as is the perception. Wells has proven to be a decent, solid NL starter; Reyes has been a starter throughout his professional career, so has Wainwright. And then there's Carpenter. The only real big ? is Looper.

All that said, I see about 85 wins this year for the Cards.

oeo
03-22-2007, 07:40 AM

And the Sox have an ERA over 10...neither are going to happen in the regular season.

IndianWhiteSox
03-22-2007, 08:15 AM
He's Starting?!

That what I thought when I saw both Kip Wells and Looper in the rotation.

The Dude
03-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Kip Wells is a good pitcher when healthy and obviously much better than people around here give him credit for. In that weak NL Central, that rotation should be good enough to win.

oeo
03-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Kip Wells is a good pitcher when healthy and obviously much better than people around here give him credit for. In that weak NL Central, that rotation should be good enough to win.

So is every rotation in that division good enough to win? :?:

There are a couple of very good offensive teams in the Cubs and Brewers in that division (I could even throw the Reds in there). A weak rotation will not be good enough.

russ99
03-22-2007, 12:57 PM

That's because Reyes, Looper & Wainwright are all relievers. Show me a solid half-season by those guys as Major League starters and I'll believe. All I have to say about the Cubs, is Marquis, Hill & Wade Miller. That's not the back end of a playoff teams rotation. If any of them win 10 I'll be surprised. Milwaukee still has the strongest starting staff in the NL Central.

DSpivack
03-22-2007, 01:32 PM
That's because Reyes, Looper & Wainwright are all relievers. Show me a solid half-season by those guys as Major League starters and I'll believe. All I have to say about the Cubs, is Marquis, Hill & Wade Miller. That's not the back end of a playoff teams rotation. If any of them win 10 I'll be surprised. Milwaukee still has the strongest starting staff in the NL Central.

Looper has been a reliever his whole career, but Reyes started every game he appeared in last season, while Wainwright was a starter in the minors up until last season.

munchman33
03-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Call me crazy, but in that division, I'd take the Pirates rotation...

Jjav829
03-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Call me crazy, but in that division, I'd take the Pirates rotation...

You're crazy...:smile:

I sure as hell wouldn't. Maybe in 2-3 years they will be a really good rotation, but not this year. Hell, I'd rather have the Cubs rotation for this year. At least you know what you're getting from Zambrano.

I'd take the Brewers rotation, assuming Sheets is healthy. Sheets, Capuano, Bush, Suppan, Vargas/Villenueva...that'll work.

I like the potential the Cards rotation has, but I'm not sure that both Reyes and Wainwright will fulfill their potential this year. Looper does nothing for me. I think Duncan can turn Wells into a decent end of the rotation guy. Solid rotation, but I'd rather have the Brewers rotation.

SABRSox
03-22-2007, 03:40 PM
You're crazy...:smile:

I sure as hell wouldn't. Maybe in 2-3 years they will be a really good rotation, but not this year. Hell, I'd rather have the Cubs rotation for this year. At least you know what you're getting from Zambrano.

I'd take the Brewers rotation, assuming Sheets is healthy. Sheets, Capuano, Bush, Suppan, Vargas/Villenueva...that'll work.

I like the potential the Cards rotation has, but I'm not sure that both Reyes and Wainwright will fulfill their potential this year. Looper does nothing for me. I think Duncan can turn Wells into a decent end of the rotation guy. Solid rotation, but I'd rather have the Brewers rotation.

I wouldn't touch the Brewers rotation (exception being Bush) with a 10 foot pole. Sheets is going to get injured, and the back end isn't so good. The Cubs rotation in a different park, maybe.

Of the bunch, Houston (with Clemens) has the best rotation, followed by STL, CHC, MIL, PIT, CIN.

Jjav829
03-22-2007, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't touch the Brewers rotation (exception being Bush) with a 10 foot pole. Sheets is going to get injured, and the back end isn't so good. The Cubs rotation in a different park, maybe.

Of the bunch, Houston (with Clemens) has the best rotation, followed by STL, CHC, MIL, PIT, CIN.

Obviously Sheets is the wildcard. But if healthy, he can be just as good as the top pitchers in that division. If he's not healthy, then I'd agree, their rotation isn't all that good. But the same can be said for your inclusion of Clemens. If Clemens comes back and joins the Astros, then their rotation for the rest of the season with Oswalt, Clemens, Jennings, Williams and Sampson/Nieve/Backe looks good. But if you take away Clemens, and Jason Jennings is their #2, their rotation doesn't look nearly as good.

SABRSox
03-22-2007, 03:51 PM
But the same can be said for your inclusion of Clemens. If Clemens comes back and joins the Astros, then their rotation for the rest of the season with Oswalt, Clemens, Jennings, Williams and Sampson/Nieve/Backe looks good. But if you take away Clemens, and Jason Jennings is their #2, their rotation doesn't look nearly as good.

Yeah, true. I can't believe they traded Jason Hirsh. That guy was going to be a stud.