PDA

View Full Version : Wed. Sox cuts

salty99
03-21-2007, 11:41 AM
3/21/07 Chicago White Sox
Optioned INF Josh Fields, OF Jerry Owens, OF Ryan Sweeney and RHP Sean Tracey to Class AAA Charlotte; Reassigned LHP Gio Gonzalez, C Gustavo Molina and INF Robert Valido to Minor League camp.

Madscout
03-21-2007, 11:43 AM
No suprises.

Dan Mega
03-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Nothing shocking to me here. Fields and Gio really excite me for the future (if Crede leaves that is).

I hope BA stays up in the majors and doesn't get sent back to AAA as rumors have been stating.

chisox77
03-21-2007, 11:44 AM
We'll see them again in the future . . . at some point.

jabrch
03-21-2007, 11:44 AM
I hope BA stays up in the majors and doesn't get sent back to AAA as rumors have been stating.

I don't think he will. My guess is we will see 3 OFs split the ABs fairly evenly in LF and CF during the first half of the season.

itsnotrequired
03-21-2007, 11:45 AM
We'll see them again in the future . . . at some point.

September, 2007.

:D:

Law11
03-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Ardsma (sp) made it huh.. I had heard he was really fighting for a spot..

cws05champ
03-21-2007, 11:50 AM

He's not fighting THAT hard.....

itsnotrequired
03-21-2007, 11:52 AM

The only thing he's made is the latest round of cuts. There are still 33 guys in camp.

veeter
03-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Yes, no surprises. Brian hit that game tying homer against KC. Terrero is kind of struggling now. As of now, I think BA is o.k.

goon
03-21-2007, 12:04 PM
The only thing he's made is the latest round of cuts. There are still 33 guys in camp.

Yep. I don't think he makes the team, especially with how well Russell has been playing. I believe Aardsma still has an option left, the Sox might just send him down and hope he can help the team later this year.

minutia
03-21-2007, 12:06 PM
I sorry if this question changes the subject but when do the Sox return to Chicago to practice or do they at all? Thanks.

Mickster
03-21-2007, 12:10 PM
I sorry if this question changes the subject but when do the Sox return to Chicago to practice or do they at all? Thanks.

They will be on a plane soon after the 12:00 Game against the Braves ends in Atlanta. I don't know if they will "practice" in Chicago on Sunday.... :dunno:

nug0hs
03-21-2007, 01:00 PM
So who is left? I cant keep track of all the names.

sox1970
03-21-2007, 01:14 PM
So who is left? I cant keep track of all the names.

Pitchers (16)--Aardsma, Buehrle, Bukvich, Contreras, Danks, Floyd, Garland, Haeger, Jenks, Logan, MacDougal, Masset, Russell, Sisco, Thornton, Vazquez

Catchers (3)--Gonzalez, Hall, Pierzynski

Infield (8)--Cintron, Crede, Iguchi, Konerko, Ozuna, Perez, Thome, Uribe

Outfield (6)--Anderson, Dye, Erstad, Mackowiak, Podsednik, Terrero

Flight #24
03-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Pitchers (16)--Aardsma, Buehrle, Bukvich, Contreras, Danks, Floyd, Garland, Haeger, Jenks, Logan, MacDougal, Masset, Russell, Sisco, Thornton, Vazquez

Which makes the latest set of decisions:

Bye Bye Perez, Wiki, Bukvich - thanks for hangin a while.

Anderson v. Terrero
1 from Danks, Floyd, Haeger, Russell (Russell possibly with a slight lead at this point)
2 from Logan, Sisco, Aardsma, Haeger

Guess here is: Anderson, Russell, Logan, Haeger.

sox1970
03-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Which makes the latest set of decisions:

Bye Bye Perez, Wiki, Bukvich - thanks for hangin a while.

Anderson v. Terrero
1 from Danks, Floyd, Haeger, Russell (Russell possibly with a slight lead at this point)
2 from Logan, Sisco, Aardsma, Haeger

Guess here is: Anderson, Russell, Logan, Haeger.

I'm guessing these will be the 8 cut--

Aardsma, Bukvich, Danks, Haeger, Russell, Gonzalez, Perez, and Terrero.

champagne030
03-21-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm guessing these will be the 8 cut--

Aardsma, Bukvich, Danks, Haeger, Russell, Gonzalez, Perez, and Terrero.

Are you saying Floyd will be the 5th starter?

:o:

sox1970
03-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Are you saying Floyd will be the 5th starter?

:o:

Unfortunately, yes.

If it were up to me, Haeger would be the 5th starter.

russ99
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM

Logan's a lock for the LOOGY spot. He's got great spring numbers. The only thing in his way for a spot is Ozzie's issues with him last year. Bukvich & Aardsma will likely go down to close & setup in Charlotte.

So it's between Danks, Floyd, Russell or Haeger for the 5th SP slot and between Masset, Sisco (and possibly) Russell or Haeger up for the RH long reliever role. I vote Danks & Masset based on spring numbers, command and mentality.

Haeger could make the team as the 11th pitcher. Russell still needs to work on his curve & change, but he could be back up if Danks has a bad run of results. I'm not sure what the Sox can do with Floyd. His problems are all upstairs, maybe easier competition at AAA can help. I have a bad feeling if the Sox throw Floyd into the 5th starter job now - that he's obviously not ready for - he could flame out.

Wiki goes down to AAA, but he's really shown something and could come up if one of the catchers gets hurt.

The last spot is between (1 or 2 of) Perez, Terrero & Mackowiak. I think Anderson will get a chance (but on a short leash) to platoon in both CF and LF with his decent spring, and the Sox taking it slow with Podsednik. My bet is Ozzie takes a 11th pitcher, Mack gets traded and Perez makes the team. Terrero becomes first call-up.

goon
03-21-2007, 04:19 PM

That's a pretty damn good list of pitchers right there, this team should be good.

JermaineDye05
03-21-2007, 04:22 PM
I can't wait for Fields to make it to the majors as a starter, he's got a chance to be a heck of a player. His defense has vastly improved and I love his swing. He's also a really good guy, when I was in Tuscon for Spring Training he seemed to be around the fans the most of all the players signing all the autographs he could, small talking with the fans. Hopefully he makes it to the majors soon be it as a 3B or an OF.

ondafarm
03-21-2007, 04:46 PM
. . . Guess here is: Anderson, Russell, Logan, Haeger.

Pretty good guess.