PDA

View Full Version : Russell new runner for the 5 spot; Haeger likely out of the race

WizardsofOzzie
03-21-2007, 11:49 AM
But pending the outcome of Wednesday morning's organizational meeting, Haeger's name might be replaced by hard-throwing right-hander Adam Russell when the wheel lands on his final starting turn on Sunday afternoon against Texas.

I personally don't think Russell will be ready for the bigtime yet. I get flashbacks of Boone Logan tearing it up in ST, and then getting shelled in the majors.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070320&content_id=1852656&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnered=rss_cws

Luke
03-21-2007, 12:20 PM
I agree. From what I've read, and from the postings in Minor Observations it sounds like he still doesn't have command of the breaking ball. He certainly seems to have a pretty high ceiling though.

KRS1
03-21-2007, 01:12 PM
He definitely needs more time in the minors. He has three great, hard, moving fastballs, and no real change to back them up. He was really rolling his breaking pitch up there early on, but he changed to throwing that slurvy thing from the lower arm slot, and that has been a pretty good pitch. I guess you can attribute his curve's lack of snap to the atmosphere here, hopefully when he gets back to normal weather, he can go back to it. Have him work real hard on a change up in the minors, and see how things go, because a good change with those plus fastballs would be killer on the opposition.