PDA

View Full Version : MLB trying to speed up games again

HawkDJ
03-19-2002, 05:11 PM
The rules that will be issued this season, or rather re-enforced since the rules were already in use but not enforced good are:

-Pitchers must throw the ball within 12 seconds of the hitter getting into the batter's box when no one is on base.

-Batters must bring two spare bats with them to the on-deck circle.

-Games are to start on time.

-Breaks between half innings kept to their 2:05 limit for most games and 2:25 for games on national television.

-A 2:30 limit for pitching changes.

-A 10-second limit on music after a batter is introduced

The goal is to get the average game to 2:50 in the AL.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-19-2002, 06:49 PM
This is such a waste of time.

If they want to speed up games, call the high strike. Don't blame Nancy's organ playing.

Sheesh...

kermittheefrog
03-19-2002, 07:19 PM
Why do they have these arbitrary goals for making games shorter? Why not make goals to make the game more exciting so people won't mind if they are 3 hours or whatever. How about some rules limiting silly stupid pitching changes and human rain delays like Nomar and Knoblauch?

Daver
03-19-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Why do they have these arbitrary goals for making games shorter? Why not make goals to make the game more exciting so people won't mind if they are 3 hours or whatever. How about some rules limiting silly stupid pitching changes and human rain delays like Nomar and Knoblauch?

That was mentioned too Kermit,here is the whole article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/03/19/faster_games_ap/

And to one is more of a human rain delay than Steve Trachsel.

RedPinStripes
03-19-2002, 07:28 PM
If they could ge the cameras off Shammy, A-hole, Nomar, Pedro, Torri and that annoying smirk by jeter, they might cover a better game. Maybe that would be something to enforce before shving off seconds of games.

voodoochile
03-19-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by daver

That was mentioned too Kermit,here is the whole article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/03/19/faster_games_ap/

And to one is more of a human rain delay than Steve Trachsel.

:kipper
"Obviously you have already forgotten what it was like when I had men on base..."

Daver
03-19-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

:kipper
"Obviously you have already forgotten what it was like when I had men on base..."

Kip has nothing on Trachsel,even with the bases empty.

harwar
03-20-2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

-Breaks between half innings kept to their 2:05 limit for most games and 2:25 for games on national television

This will probably be the first to go.I remember the last time they supposedly speeded up the the game in 95,and the only thing that changed was that they very quietly added an extra 30 seconds between innings for more commercials with the time that they shaved off.Personally i don't have a problem with the length of games.I wish baseball was on 24/7.I wish there was a baseball channel instead of the golf channel.If they seriously start enforcing these rules i'll bet we start seeing a lot more commercials.

foulkesfan11
03-20-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Don't forget Bartolo Colon! He's the slowest pitcher I've seen in my years!

duke of dorwood
03-20-2002, 02:15 PM
They can cut commercial time by putting someones logo in the corner of the screen for a designated time. The same way they do soccer broadcasts. The between innings is the real problem.

NorthSideConvert
03-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Rick Sutcliffe was the ultimat human rain delay. I worked a concession stand at Wrigley (yeah, I know) in 1989. We always knew that game would be at least another half hour longer than any other pitcher. It also sold another 1000 or beers in the bleacher.

GO Sox

NSC