PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 3-21

Lip Man 1
03-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Twofer day...

March 21, 1900 - After a meeting with the Chicago Cubs, the way is cleared for Charles Comiskey to bring his team from St. Paul to Chicago. They’ll play on the South Side...although in fact Comiskey was bringing the team to town regardless of whether the Cubs approved it or not. The meeting was set up though to try to avoid any conflicts.

March 21, 1997 - The Sox suffer a major blow to their hopes for a championship when star 3rd baseman Robin Ventura destroys his leg on a slide at home plate in a spring game against the Red Sox. The injury is so horrific that a woman sitting in the first row of stands passed out when she saw the result. Ventura's wife became hysterical and was led screaming down on to the field. The injury took place only ten days before the season opener and the Sox were left in a state of shock. Management did nothing to replace Ventura (despite published comments in the newspapers the next day that they would) and the Sox stumble out of the gate with an 8-18 start. Thankfully after a rigorous rehabilitation process, Robin would be back to play in 54 games that season and continued to have an outstanding major league career.

http://i22.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/92/22/caac_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Robin-Ventura-signed-8x10-photo-Chicago-White-Sox_W0QQitemZ140096467683QQcategoryZ27265QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

Lip

gobears1987
03-20-2007, 01:21 PM
I remember the Ventura incident. That season was one major disappointment. It got even worse with the White Flag Trade.

IndianWhiteSox
03-20-2007, 01:29 PM
That Ventura injury was a tragedy in its own right. That really ended the Good Guys wear black days.

Brian26
03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
That really ended the Good Guys were black days.

I disagree. Ventura was Caucasian, and Ozzie was definitely Latino.

IndianWhiteSox
03-20-2007, 02:17 PM
I disagree. Ventura was Caucasian, and Ozzie was definitely Latino.

My bad, I meant wear black not were black.

:redface:

Thanks for catching that Brian

WhiteSox5187
03-20-2007, 03:11 PM
I remember that. Ozzie was in tears after the game I think. Had Robin not been hurt, I dont think we would have seen the White Flag trade.

miker
03-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Then after Robin busts his hump to get back in playing shape, we suddenly can't catch Cleveland...

Thankfully 2005 gets rid of a lot of bad memories. I wouldn't mind another "treatment" this year and forgive the franchise of all of their mistakes.

jackbrohamer
03-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Bad day, ugly injury. 1997 was also the start of the Jamie Navarro Era and the last year of the Terry Bevington Era on the South Side. Ugh.

AnkleSox
03-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Bad day, ugly injury. 1997 was also the start of the Jamie Navarro Era and the last year of the Terry Bevington Era on the South Side. Ugh.

I think being thirteen and very easily influenced at the time, the 1997 white sox season scarred me for life and turned me into the huge pessimist i am today (not just about baseball.)

chisox77
03-21-2007, 10:14 PM
As terrible as Ventura's injury was, as well as the 1997 season, the 70s (except for the '72 and '77 seasons) were awful. A sustained period of losing, coupled with attendance years below 500,000 fans, bad uniforms (the pajamas of the late 70s), prepared me to deal with the strike year of 1994 and the White Flag trade. But I have no regrets. Perhaps all this is what made the 2005 World Series Champion White Sox even more special to me than the 1985 Bears. In fact, it's not even close.

:cool:

WhiteSox5187
03-22-2007, 01:33 AM
As terrible as Ventura's injury was, as well as the 1997 season, the 70s (except for the '72 and '77 seasons) were awful. A sustained period of losing, coupled with attendance years below 500,000 fans, bad uniforms (the pajamas of the late 70s), prepared me to deal with the strike year of 1994 and the White Flag trade. But I have no regrets. Perhaps all this is what made the 2005 World Series Champion White Sox even more special to me than the 1985 Bears. In fact, it's not even close.

Yes, the seventies were bad as were the late eighties, but I'm a product of the nineties, so for me, '97 was the start of some tough years...followed of course, by the ectasy of 2005. And god willing, the ecstasy of 2007

stl_sox_fan
03-22-2007, 12:11 PM
March 21, 1997 - The Sox suffer a major blow to their hopes for a championship when star 3rd baseman Robin Ventura destroys his leg on a slide at home plate in a spring game against the Red Sox. The injury is so horrific that a woman sitting in the first row of stands passed out when she saw the result. Ventura's wife became hysterical and was led screaming down on to the field. The injury took place only ten days before the season opener and the Sox were left in a state of shock. Management did nothing to replace Ventura (despite published comments in the newspapers the next day that they would) and the Sox stumble out of the gate with an 8-18 start. Thankfully after a rigorous rehabilitation process, Robin would be back to play in 54 games that season and continued to have an outstanding major league career.

There are things that stick in your memory. Seeing that clip of him at home plate is one of those. Thanks for the shivers Lip!

TomBradley72
03-22-2007, 04:02 PM
After Belle and Thomas....there was nothing without Ventura. They settled for Snopek at 3B until Robin returned. Much like how they settled for Grebeck and Beltre the year Ozzie was hurt early in the season. Schueler was NEVER aggressive going out and getting a player to address a major/season impacting injury...both years they could have won the division if he had made a move.

Brian26
03-22-2007, 10:06 PM
both years they could have won the division if he had made a move.

Probably wishful thinking on our part.

The '91 Twins won the World Series. The '97 Indians were an eyelash from beating the Marlins and winning the World Series.

Neither of those Sox teams were good enough. Go back and look at their starting pitching.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Brian:

The Sox were only, if memory serves, three games out at the trade deadline, in July 1991. They actually cut that down to a single game around August 10th or so before imploding and losing something like 15 of 20 in the next three weeks.

Had Ron Schueler done something at the deadline, who knows what might have happened.

They did have a reasonable shot that season.

Mark Liptak

Brian26
03-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Had Ron Schueler done something at the deadline, who knows what might have happened.

I remember it well. After Ventura's 7/31 grand slam off Gossage, I thought the Sox would run away with it. Looking back on it, Schueler would have needed to do a lot. The back end of the rotation consisted of Hibbard, Hough, and a 19-year old Wilson Alvarez. The bullpen desperately missed Barry Jones, and Thigpen was already on the decline.

DumpJerry
03-23-2007, 12:04 AM

Yes, the seventies were bad as were the late eighties, but I'm a product of the nineties, so for me, '97 was the start of some tough years...followed of course, by the ectasy of 2005. And god willing, the ecstasy of 2007

I became a Sox fan in 1971. What was I thinking?????:rolleyes:

I remember it well. After Ventura's 7/31 grand slam off Gossage, I thought the Sox would run away with it. Looking back on it, Schueler would have needed to do a lot. The back end of the rotation consisted of Hibbard, Hough, and a 19-year old Wilson Alvarez. The bullpen desperately missed Barry Jones, and Thigpen was already on the decline.

That slam was in 1991. I was there. It was the number one moment at Comiskey for me until I was at Game 2 and watched Pod's blast land in the Right-Center Field seats.

Brian26
03-23-2007, 12:12 AM
That slam was in 1991. I was there. It was the number one moment at Comiskey for me until I was at Game 2 and watched Pod's blast land in the Right-Center Field seats.

It's one of my all-time favorite Sox moments. Ventura was on fire that month. That was his second homer in that game and his 12th or 13th of the month. The great thing about that inning too was how resilient the Sox were. Cora totally botched a bunt with Fisk on base and ended up popping up. Raines battled hard to draw a walk (may have been down in the count 0-2 with two outs), and then Ventura hit the storybook homer. And of course Big Frank picked him up at homeplate on his shoulder.

DumpJerry
03-23-2007, 12:19 AM
It's one of my all-time favorite Sox moments. Ventura was on fire that month. That was his second homer in that game and his 12th or 13th of the month. The great thing about that inning too was how resilient the Sox were. Cora totally botched a bunt with Fisk on base and ended up popping up. Raines battled hard to draw a walk (may have been down in the count 0-2 with two outs), and then Ventura hit the storybook homer. And of course Big Frank picked him up at homeplate on his shoulder.
During the game, it was announced that Robin was named player of the month for July. The slam was number 12 for the month. Frank carrying him on his shoulders is part of the intro montage at Comiskey to this day.

I was sitting in the Left Field corner for the game. When I saw the ball leave his bat, I started screaming at the top of my lungs. I was in a trance as I watched the ball in slow motion float up and up and could not hear anyone else yelling. I was thinking I looked like a fool because it was curving foul and I was the only one in the park who did not realize that. The best part: I was with a group of three other people, one was a HUGE Cubs fan. She sunk real low in her seat and was green with envy.

It was 10 minutes or so before anyone left their seats. It felt like we had just won the World Series.

TommyJohn
03-23-2007, 08:49 AM
I think being thirteen and very easily influenced at the time, the 1997 white sox season scarred me for life and turned me into the huge pessimist i am today (not just about baseball.)

I feel your pain. 1984 had the same effect on me.