PDA

View Full Version : A glimpse into Sox tv broadcasting future

paciorek1983
03-19-2007, 07:08 PM
DJ and Singleton on the tube today.

I can't wait til they become the permanent broadcasting partners.

CLR01
03-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Singleton may be the best broadcaster in the world today.

BiggestFan14
03-19-2007, 07:12 PM
I thought they did a good job. No one on this website could do better at least.:smile:

DumpJerry
03-19-2007, 07:19 PM
I thought they did a good job. No one on this website could do better at least.:smile:
Bump34? What about him?

ShoelessJoeS
03-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Singleton may be the best broadcaster in the world today.So does that mean you can check off the last category in your sig now?

CLR01
03-19-2007, 07:29 PM
So does that mean you can check off the last category in your sig now?

I'll get to it when I finish overseeing construction of the Chris Singleton Museum of Modern Greatness.

gobears1987
03-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Fixed it for you

cbotnyse
03-19-2007, 07:51 PM
I like Hawk.

CLR01
03-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Fixed it for you

How original of you. Thanks.

HomeFish
03-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Part of me has always wanted to hear DJ and Farmer in the booth together. Homeruns would sure be something.

"Uh oh, that's a two-run bye-bye"
"Light it up!"

Hitmen77
03-19-2007, 08:06 PM
did DJ and Singleton ever play together on the same Sox team?

skobabe8
03-19-2007, 08:09 PM
DJ and Singleton on the tube today.

I can't wait til they become the permanent broadcasting partners.

I'm gonna be going to alot more games if that happens.

I guess thats one way of getting more season ticket holders.

chitownhawkfan
03-19-2007, 08:09 PM
I didnt hear it today, but when the time comes Wills better be involved somehow.

chisoxmike
03-19-2007, 08:25 PM
I like Hawk.

I love Hawk.

Brian26
03-19-2007, 08:34 PM
did DJ and Singleton ever play together on the same Sox team?

Yes, 1999.

Lip Man 1
03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Biggest:

With all respect, I think I could handle the job.

Lip

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 12:01 AM
I'd like to see Rooney with DJ.
Or Wills and DJ.

DJ's solid. I just dont think he's a good fit with hawk anymore.

chitownhawkfan
03-20-2007, 12:09 AM
I'd like to see Rooney with DJ.
Or Wills and DJ.

DJ's solid. I just dont think he's a good fit with hawk anymore.

I have told my friends that I don't think DJ is that bad and have been lambasted for it. It seems that when DJ is in the booth with Hawk (who I love) he is forced into asking Hawk stupid questions about the old times such as "have you ever seen blah blah blah do blah blah blah?" Given the chance I think DJ could be decent, just not with Hawk. I think DJ could work great with a traditional play by play guy, the only guy I think I could like with Hawk is Wimpy and we know how that turned out.

BV2005
03-20-2007, 01:56 AM
I am a big Hawk fan, and it will be hard to imagin a game not being called by him. But today's game with Singleton and DJ sounded more upbeat than your everyday Hawk and DJ broadcast. I wouldnt mind seeing DJ and Singleton more often.

HotelWhiteSox
03-20-2007, 02:02 AM
I didn't mind it, both guys are improving, I don't hold it against Chris for the Score being pieces of crap who basically got rid of Rooney. Also gotta love that inside the park HR call :cool: Was that a howl at the end?

I'm not a huge fan of Hawk, but I've enjoyed him in the spring, sounds more refreshed or something

oeo
03-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Part of me has always wanted to hear DJ and Farmer in the booth together. Homeruns would sure be something.

"Uh oh, that's a two-run bye-bye"
"Light it up!"

DJ doesn't use the "Uh-Oh" call anymore. He seems to have a real fascination with "Four Bagger" now, though.

The Critic
03-20-2007, 06:41 AM
I didnt hear it today, but when the time comes Wills better be involved somehow.

I'm sure WGN games would be on some cable package in Florida for him to watch.

C-Dawg
03-20-2007, 06:52 AM

After just one season in the booth, I think Singleton is already worlds better than DJ.

Frontman
03-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Singelton sounded much better on TV. Maybe its a case of team chemistry, but he certainly sounded like he knew what he was doing with DJ, versus the awkward half-speak he does when on PBP on the radio.

Front

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Singelton sounded much better on TV. Maybe its a case of team chemistry, but he certainly sounded like he knew what he was doing with DJ, versus the awkward half-speak he does when on PBP on the radio.

Fronti think them being teammates and dj being in the booth(and part of the traveling party) for most of singleton's career allows them a better familiarity with each other.

areilly
03-20-2007, 01:53 PM
DJ doesn't use the "Uh-Oh" call anymore. He seems to have a real fascination with "Four Bagger" now, though.

"One-sided affair" seems to be a new fave of his too. Makes me dread watching blowouts, regardless of who's killing who.

:DJ

"When you get a one-sided affair like this, you take the opportunity to do things you might not otherwise do unless it's a one-sided affair. Maybe play a few guys who've never been part of a one-sided affair, or let your role-players swing away because in a one-sided affair, the game is pretty much a one-sided affair."

thedudeabides
03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I didn't mind it, both guys are improving, I don't hold it against Chris for the Score being pieces of crap who basically got rid of Rooney. Also gotta love that inside the park HR call :cool: Was that a howl at the end?

I'm not a huge fan of Hawk, but I've enjoyed him in the spring, sounds more refreshed or something

I'll give Singleton some more time, but I think DJ is been at this long enough to keep saying he's "improving". I just don't think he's ever going to be good. Although, I think it is tough having to work with Hawk. Having the MLB package, I get to hear a lot of good broadcasting teams. I don't think the Sox have one of them, even though there are plenty of people here who like them.

hose
03-20-2007, 04:04 PM
A glimpse into Sox tv broadcasting future : Bleak

FedEx227
03-20-2007, 06:29 PM
People that think DJ suck should really listen to him when he does Fox broadcasts during the year. Once he gets away from the

"Hawk when was the first time you used pine-tar?"

"Well Yaz... blah blah...Royals...blah blah..."

Brian26
03-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Having the MLB package, I get to hear a lot of good broadcasting teams. I don't think the Sox have one of them, even though there are plenty of people here who like them.

Having the MLB package also allows you to listen to a lot of bad announcers. Other than Vin Scully and Willsy, I'm curious who you think is good. For every Hawk and DJ, there are ten Gary Thorne's and Wayne Hagin's.

VivaOzzie
03-20-2007, 10:27 PM
:DJ

"When you get a one-sided affair like this, you take the opportunity to do things you might not otherwise do unless it's a one-sided affair. Maybe play a few guys who've never been part of a one-sided affair, or let your role-players swing away because in a one-sided affair, the game is pretty much a one-sided affair."

:roflmao:

tick53
03-21-2007, 10:59 AM
A glimpse into Sox tv broadcasting future : Bleak

To quote DJ. "Yes indeedy sweety Petey" :D: . DJ brings nothing to the booth. I'm sorry. He's not bad on the Fox games, but for everyday, he's dull.

thedudeabides
03-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Having the MLB package also allows you to listen to a lot of bad announcers. Other than Vin Scully and Willsy, I'm curious who you think is good. For every Hawk and DJ, there are ten Gary Thorne's and Wayne Hagin's.

There are certainly some bad teams out there, as well. It's just refreshing sometimes listening to professionals like Marty Brennaman, Milo Hamilton, and John Miller. I just get tired of hearing Hawk and DJ constantly talking about their mediocre careers, and players most people have never heard of. But, it's completely subjective and I don't listen to too many other broadcasting teams on a daily basis, so I'm sure you can find flaws with most.

duke of dorwood
03-21-2007, 01:04 PM
DJ has improved a ton-and is as good as anyone at analyzing. Singleton is maybe worse than when he began. But some of that blame has to go to Farmer-a fair color man-a bad PBP guy to learn from.

Does anyone know where Tommy John is?

BringBackBlkJack
03-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Robin Ventura? Black Jack McDowell?

I recall them filling in for a couple of games over the last few seasons.

And I would have to agree: I love Hawk but I can see how he would be tough to work with. With that being said, DJ's probably doing the best he can with what he's given.