PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City

jabrch
03-19-2007, 05:07 PM
I love their offense...but with their rotation they have little chance of winning enough. They will score a lot of runs and probably be a spoiler to someone in our division. I am sure they will be better than Minny. (Ramon Ortiz and Sidney Ponson in the back of the rotation)

chisoxmike
03-19-2007, 05:09 PM
KC won't win the division by any means, but they will be a factor in who wins it.

Jjav829
03-19-2007, 05:17 PM
I love their offense...but with their rotation they have little chance of winning enough. They will score a lot of runs and probably be a spoiler to someone in our division. I am sure they will be better than Minny. (Ramon Ortiz and Sidney Ponson in the back of the rotation)

Love their offense? Better than the Twins? Jabrch, put down the :smokin:

Their offense has the potential to be good with Gordon, Teahen, Shealy and DeJesus. They really don't have much else for this year. Which foursome would you rather have: Gordon, Teahen, Shealy and DeJesus...or Morneau, Mauer, Cuddyer, Hunter. It's not even close. And I'd rather have the Twins other 5 hitters, too.

The Twins starters might not be great, but Johan is more valuable than the Royals entire rotation combined. And the one thing I've learned with the Twins is to never bet against their ability to find starting pitching. Somehow, someway, they'll manage to mix and match with Baker, Garza, Silva, Ortiz, Ponson and even Slowey or Perkins later in the year and get enough wins out of those guys.

The bullpens aren't even close. Nathan is one of the best closers in the game, if not the best. Rincon, Neshek, Crain, Reyes and Guerrier give them a bunch of quality arms, and easily one of the best bullpens in baseball. The Royals have Dotel, David Riske, and, hell, it's not even worth naming the rest of these guys.

I'd say the Royals will be lucky to be within 20 wins of the Twins, and if they are that close, they should consider it a good year.

BiggestFan14
03-19-2007, 06:41 PM
I think they will be a lot better this year, and actually not finish in last place..

PKalltheway
03-19-2007, 06:49 PM
The Royals will be better this year, but considering how bad they've been over the last couple of years, that isn't saying much.

jabrch
03-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Love their offense? Better than the Twins? Jabrch, put down the :smokin:

Their offense has the potential to be good with Gordon, Teahen, Shealy and DeJesus. They really don't have much else for this year. Which foursome would you rather have: Gordon, Teahen, Shealy and DeJesus...or Morneau, Mauer, Cuddyer, Hunter. It's not even close. And I'd rather have the Twins other 5 hitters, too.

The Twins starters might not be great, but Johan is more valuable than the Royals entire rotation combined. And the one thing I've learned with the Twins is to never bet against their ability to find starting pitching. Somehow, someway, they'll manage to mix and match with Baker, Garza, Silva, Ortiz, Ponson and even Slowey or Perkins later in the year and get enough wins out of those guys.

The bullpens aren't even close. Nathan is one of the best closers in the game, if not the best. Rincon, Neshek, Crain, Reyes and Guerrier give them a bunch of quality arms, and easily one of the best bullpens in baseball. The Royals have Dotel, David Riske, and, hell, it's not even worth naming the rest of these guys.

I'd say the Royals will be lucky to be within 20 wins of the Twins, and if they are that close, they should consider it a good year.

I think the Twins will end up in 4th or 5t place in this division. They have the worst pitching (sand KC) and a very unimpressive offense after Morneu and Mauer. All the bullpen in the world doesn't matter if you have crappy starters. These guys will have to go 120 innings each - not a recipie for success as we know.

Santana only pitches one day every five - thank goodness. This is going to be a bad Minnesota team.

IndianWhiteSox
03-19-2007, 07:21 PM
I think the Twins will end up in 4th or 5t place in this division. They have the worst pitching (sand KC) and a very unimpressive offense after Morneu and Mauer. All the bullpen in the world doesn't matter if you have crappy starters. These guys will have to go 120 innings each - not a recipie for success as we know.

Santana only pitches one day every five - thank goodness. This is going to be a bad Minnesota team.

I agree with you 100%. The Royals will finish in 3rd place in the AL Central, obviously behind our AL Central Champion White Sox and Tigers.

jabrch
03-20-2007, 12:33 AM
they'll manage to mix and match with Baker, Garza, Silva, Ortiz, Ponson and even Slowey or Perkins later in the year and get enough wins out of those guys.

I don't think a single one of those guys would be our 4th starter. They are going to suck eggs.

Grzegorz
03-20-2007, 05:57 AM
KC won't win the division by any means, but they will be a factor in who wins it.

Absolutely, this team is underrated.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-20-2007, 10:05 AM
The problem with KC is they are improving, but you really won't be able to tell until 2-3 years from now, due to the strength of the division.

Jjav829
03-20-2007, 10:34 AM

How about Hunter and Cuddyer? They don't count? No, neither is on the level of Mauer or Morneau, but each will provide 25 HRs, 90 RBI+ and and probably an OPS around .825-.850. While the rest of their offense might not be impressive, remember that this is one of the most fundamentally sound teams in baseball. Those other 5 guys will scrap out runs for the Twins.

We'll see how the starter situation plays out, but I've learned my lesson on why not to bet against the Twins. No, they don't look particularly impressive on paper. The Twins have shown us that games aren't won on paper. How many years in the 2000's have the Sox looked better than the Twins on paper? How many years were the Sox actually better?

I agree with you 100%. The Royals will finish in 3rd place in the AL Central, obviously behind our AL Central Champion White Sox and Tigers.

Haha! 3rd place? The Royals? Holy ****. It really is Spring Training. The Royals will be lucky to finish within 10 games of 4th place.

I don't think a single one of those guys would be our 4th starter. They are going to suck eggs.

No, but that doesn't mean that one or two or even three of those guys won't prove to be capable enough starters that they will keep the Twins in games and allow the Twins to win games as only they know how.

jabrch
03-20-2007, 11:02 AM
How about Hunter and Cuddyer? They don't count?

Neither impress me. Hunter's only marketable offensive skill is his 25ish HRs. Cuddyer had a decent year last year, but again - he's not a high average hitter since he Ks so much. I see him delivering more to his career averages (.268/.342/.455) than his 2006 numbers.

And any time we start talking about Twins offense, we need to look at their splits. The team has a .276/.341/.412 road line and a .298/.352/.439 home line. Cuddyer was .302/.371/.559 at home and .264/.353/.449 on the road. Hunter was about even.

What's Vegas got their o/u at? I'd go under.

ma-gaga
03-20-2007, 11:04 AM
You can make an argument that 4 teams can finish with 90+ wins in this division. There really is no definitive way of telling what's going to happen. It's all going to depend on the head to head matchups. So yeah, KC will help decide the division, but they won't be anywhere close to competing in it.

Twins wise: Ortiz might get 20 starts this year. Ponson won't. I don't think Silva will either, but the Twins are paying him $4.50mm, so they are going to give him a shot. But the words "short leash" have already been used. I'd put the over/under on number of starts by Silva at 12.

:gulp:

chisoxmike
03-20-2007, 11:12 AM
You can make an argument that 4 teams can finish with 90+ wins in this division. There really is no definitive way of telling what's going to happen. It's all going to depend on the head to head matchups. So yeah, KC will help decide the division, but they won't be anywhere close to competing in it.

I don't know. I think the Sox, Twins, Tigers, and Indians will all beat the hell out of eachother this year that we may only see one or two teams with 90+ wins.

sox1970
03-20-2007, 11:30 AM
You can make an argument that 4 teams can finish with 90+ wins in this division.

It would take a lot of interleague dominance for that to happen. Like 14-4 for everyone.

Eventually, one or two of the teams will pack it in and have a bad August/September.

More than likely, 4th place will still end up 12-15 games out.

ma-gaga
03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
It would take a lot of interleague dominance for that to happen. Like 14-4 for everyone.

That's true.

The Twins, Tigers, and W.Sox destroyed interleague last year. The Twins went something like 18-2 and only made up 1 game on the Tigers...

But I suppose that was the NL Central. Who is the AL Central's matchup this year?

oeo
03-20-2007, 02:13 PM
That's true.

The Twins, Tigers, and W.Sox destroyed interleague last year. The Twins went something like 18-2 and only made up 1 game on the Tigers...

But I suppose that was the NL Central. Who is the AL Central's matchup this year?

NL East, I believe, but the Sox still have two different series against NL Central teams (Astros and Pirates), not including the Cubs.

soxinem1
03-20-2007, 02:16 PM
I think they will be a lot better this year, and actually not finish in last place..

I like KC's emerging line up, and Dotel has been throwing BB's in ST, but all around, the depth is not there.

Besides, if they move from the cellar, who takes their place? MIN, CLE, DET, CHW? Kinda, sorta, doubt it.