PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Rotations

jabrch
03-19-2007, 03:56 PM
What do our rotations in AAA and AA project to look like this year?

My guess

Charlotte
Floyd/Danks
Phillips
Broadway
Gio
Haegar

Birmingham
Harrell
Whisler
Russell
McCulloch
Liotta

sox1970
03-19-2007, 04:09 PM
I think I read McCulloch will start at Winston-Salem.

Britt Burns
03-20-2007, 11:50 AM
I think this is pretty accurate, except that I think Haeger is going to make the club no matter if Danks/Floyd wins the 5th spot or not. Either way, both rotations are pretty deep in good prospects and tweeners who could fill in adequately for a short time should the need arise. I like it better than last year, which was light on legit prospects and heavy on the Reddings, Randolphs, etc.

rdivaldi
03-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Pretty good assumption. I would however replace Liotta with Egbert at AA. Ray has a lot to prove and probably have to start in W/S, not to mention Jack deserves a promotion after his outstanding 2006 campaign.

A. Cavatica
03-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Don't forget Honel at AA.

jabrch
03-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Don't forget Honel at AA.

Who?

Is Kris healthy?

A. Cavatica
03-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Who?

Is Kris healthy?

He turned in an impressive showing during the fall Instructional League, and he has continued to be equally impressive during Minor League Spring Training. Honel should begin the 2007 campaign as part of Double-A Birmingham's rotation, an ironic twist, in that Birmingham is where it all came to a halt in 2005.

"The fact that I'm healthy again, that's a huge step for me right now. It's good to come back around and get centered again."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070320&content_id=1852223&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

diamondkings29
03-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Very true about Kris, I have heard nothing but positive comments about him recently.

Can anyone advise on Josh Fields RHP and his outings in Spring Training. I have seen a few pitching lines and they look impressive and know he too is coming off successful surgery as well. Any thoughts? I hear he is headed to Charlotte and one step away again to Chicago.

sox1970
03-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Very true about Kris, I have heard nothing but positive comments about him recently.

Can anyone advise on Josh Fields RHP and his outings in Spring Training. I have seen a few pitching lines and they look impressive and know he too is coming off successful surgery as well. Any thoughts? I hear he is headed to Charlotte and one step away again to Chicago.

Fields, the pitcher, didn't pitch in 2006, and he hasn't pitched in a big league game this spring.

diamondkings29
03-21-2007, 11:42 AM
I know Fields RHP has not pitched in 2006 and has appeared in several B games thus far for 2007 ST. Wondering if anyone saw or heard anything.

sox1970
03-29-2007, 06:14 PM
I looked at the Barons and Knights websites. I think Gio is going to AA, but don't bust me if I'm wrong.

Charlotte has Phillips, Haeger, Broadway, Floyd, and I guess Malone

Birmingham has Gio Gonzalez, Lucas Harrell, Ray Liotta, Jack Egbert, and Ryan Rodriguez.

soxinem1
03-29-2007, 07:44 PM
I looked at the Barons and Knights websites. I think Gio is going to AA, but don't bust me if I'm wrong.

Charlotte has Phillips, Haeger, Broadway, Floyd, and I guess Malone

Birmingham has Gio Gonzalez, Lucas Harrell, Ray Liotta, Jack Egbert, and Ryan Rodriguez.

Gio should be in AAA. I don't think Floyd pitched well enough to make the AAA rotation, either.

maurice
03-29-2007, 08:42 PM
The following is mostly speculation . . .

Charlotte:
Floyd
Haeger
Phillips
Broadway
Lubisich, Malone, etc.

Birmingham:
Russell
Gonzalez
Egbert
Whisler
Honel, Wing, etc.

Winston-Salem:
McCulloch
Harrell
DRodriguez?
Torres?
???

Since I'm already wading into low % territory, there's no sense trying to make any further guesses. I'll be interested to see what becomes of Liotta and RRodriguez, though.

The bottom line is that the AAA and AA rotations are loaded with at least a couple more guys on the verge of promotion.

California Sox
03-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Birmingham's roster is on their website. The eleven pitchers on their staff are:

Russell
Gio
Egbert
Whisler
Honel
Wing
O. Perez
Day
Bittner
Vasquez
F. Hernandez
E. Sierra

So, Maurice, I think you nailed their rotation.

CleeFan101
03-31-2007, 08:43 AM
I don't understand why Harrell isn't in AA, I know he struggled there during his short stint with them but what left does he have to prove at high a?

Randar68
04-02-2007, 11:57 AM
I don't understand why Harrell isn't in AA, I know he struggled there during his short stint with them but what left does he have to prove at high a?

Well, for all the crap the Sox get about their depleted system, we have a TON of very good pitching prospects in the upper levels. I'm not sure any club can match out AA and AAA rotations:

Charlotte:
Floyd
Haeger
Phillips
Broadway
Malone

BHam:
Russell
Gio
Egbert
Whisler
Honel

The fact that McCullogh and Harrell are at High-A is only because of the mass of arms in AA and AAA. They would be in AA in any other system right now, IMO. There may not be a #1 pitcher among the group, but there are a lot of potential #2-#4 type starters in that group.

I really like that BHam rotation. Russell and Egbert are both poised for huge years, IMO. Gio should really impress while repeating AA and Whisler and Honel are going to get their chance to sink or swim.

maurice
04-02-2007, 12:17 PM
I really like that BHam rotation.

Ditto. That's why I'm headed there in 2 weeks.
:gulp:

A. Cavatica
04-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Charlotte:
Floyd
Haeger
Phillips
Broadway
Malone

BHam:
Russell
Gio
Egbert
Whisler
Honel

There may not be a #1 pitcher among the group, but there are a lot of potential #2-#4 type starters in that group.

I don't see any potential #2s at Charlotte. I'd put Broadway's and Haeger's upside at #3/#4, Phillips at #4/#5. Floyd has the best stuff but the worst makeup, so I don't see him even holding a #5 job. Malone is deadwood.

I agree on the Birmingham rotation, though, some #2s there.

DMarte708
04-03-2007, 12:05 PM
I don't see any potential #2s at Charlotte. I'd put Broadway's and Haeger's upside at #3/#4, Phillips at #4/#5. Floyd has the best stuff but the worst makeup, so I don't see him even holding a #5 job. Malone is deadwood.

I agree on the Birmingham rotation, though, some #2s there.
I'm surprised nothing much has been said about Jack Egbert around these parts. You just don't hear much about him. Looking at his statistics, the guy must have one hell of a sinker to only surrender 9 HR's in 367 innings of minor league ball.

I don't believe it's inappropriate to draw comparisons to Brandon Webb.

Randar68
04-03-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm surprised nothing much has been said about Jack Egbert around these parts. You just don't hear much about him. Looking at his statistics, the guy must have one hell of a sinker to only surrender 9 HR's in 367 innings of minor league ball.

I don't believe it's inappropriate to draw comparisons to Brandon Webb.

Having seen him pitch, he's just a bulldog. I'm a little surprised he hasn't given up more HR's, as I've seen him hang a few in the couple of outings I have seen. That being said, he owns the inner half of the plate, and you won't give up many dingers in there is you have good sink or a heavy fastball.

Tragg
04-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Ditto. That's why I'm headed there in 2 weeks.
:gulp:
They play in Mobile a lot which is 2 hrs from New Orleans and 1 hour from Gulf Shores, so I plan on seeing several games this summer.

maurice
04-03-2007, 06:23 PM
They also play right up I-55, just outside of Jackson, Mississippi (http://www.mississippibraves.com/).

It's not exactly the gulf coast, but . . .

SoxxoS
04-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Randar et al - Will Gio pitch in AAA this year? If so, when would the expected call up be - Late season...or if he starts pitching lights out, will it be soon?

DMarte708
04-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Randar et al - Will Gio pitch in AAA this year? If so, when would the expected call up be - Late season...or if he starts pitching lights out, will it be soon?
I believe in September, when Haeger and Floyd are guaranteed to be in Chicago, atleast one Birmingham pitcher will be in their place. Hopefully two. If Gonzalez pitches well, he'll end the season in AAA.

He'll sure have to leapfrog a lot of pitchers for a callup. And I'm not thrilled about starting his service time unless he's guaranteed a roster position in 2008; which he isn't.

maurice
04-04-2007, 11:41 AM
The Knights' regular season ends Sept. 3rd, though they have a good chance of making the playoffs.

CleeFan101
04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
If Gio is having a good season you have to believe he gets the call up, Malone is at this point either going to make the majors out of the bp or not at all, most likely the latter and he would definitely surrender his spot. Also, if another of the AA pitchers prove they are worth a call up I wouldn't be surprised to see Heath forfeit his spot in the rotation, he is a good SP for the Knights but he isn't in the whitesox plans long term.

A. Cavatica
04-04-2007, 11:47 PM
This just in: the #5 starter at Charlotte will be Vladimir Nunez.

Hard to believe that we can't do better than that, with our depth.

doublem23
04-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Corwin Malone? He's still around? Isn't this like his 5th ro 6th year in the organization?

SoxxoS
04-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I remember he was one of the most coveted prospects and the Sox could have gotten a **** load for him around 00-02.

Then his arm fell off.