PDA

View Full Version : Is Russell legit 5th candidate?

AJ Hellraiser
03-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I know there's a thread on Adam Russell in the minor league section, but this is slightly different.

This kid Russell continues to get starts and he has looked pretty good in them all (granted, I am writing this in the 1st inning of the KC game)...

My question is simple: is he a legit candidate for the 5th spot? I know nobody is talking about him, but he keeps getting starts this spring and he's been more consistent than Danks, Floyd or Haeger... if he continues to do well, could he land the job out of nowhere?

If they weren't seriously considering him, why does he keep getting starts?

INSox56
03-19-2007, 04:23 PM
I'd say they have to be considering him since he keeps getting start after start. Either that or they're trying to showcase him for trades.

Britt Burns
03-19-2007, 04:44 PM
He is a legit candidate, but not right out of spring training. Danks, Floyd, etc. would have to be awful for Russell to get the spot, and while each of the 5th starter options have been inconsistent, they have not been thoroughly terrible. If they all take turns falling on their face during the season then yes, you very well may see Russell in a starter spot, but not until then, IMHO.

BiggestFan14
03-19-2007, 06:44 PM
I like what I am seeing from him this spring, I think he is a possible candidate sometime this year.

ShoelessJoeS
03-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Given his performance thus far, I don't see how he can't be considered a legit candidate.

CashMan
03-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Given his performance thus far, I don't see how he can't be considered a legit candidate.

He has 3 people in front of him in Haegar, Floyd and Danks.

veeter
03-19-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm 100% sure he won't make the team, but he's going to tear up AA. At least that's where they said he was going to go. He looks confident.

ondafarm
03-19-2007, 07:16 PM
I think he's bound for Birmingham, where he will perform well and be a steady part of their rotation. He'll be back next year, probably do AAA then and eventually get up to the Majors, just not yet.

ShoelessJoeS
03-19-2007, 07:21 PM
He has 3 people in front of him in Haegar, Floyd and Danks.It's obvious that he is not the front runner, but you cannot dismiss him as a candidate.

IndianWhiteSox
03-19-2007, 07:29 PM
What's the scouting report on this guy?

thomas35forever
03-19-2007, 10:56 PM
I think it's best he's not considered. If he turns into another Felix Diaz or Dan Wright, we'll all be calling for Kenny's head.

maurice
03-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Per the Cubune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070319sox,1,3513892.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed):
Non-roster invitee Adam Russell has pitched himself into consideration for a spot on the White Sox's Opening Day roster. "Russell, enjoy the ride, because he's in the picture," manager Ozzie Guillen said with a smile Monday after Russell pitched four innings of one-run ball in a 4-3 loss to the Royals. "He's in the mix now."
. . .
"We don't have that many days [left], but maybe he can throw a couple of innings as a reliever," Guillen said. "I want to see him one more time. The way he throws, you never know. I like it, (general manager) Kenny Williams likes it and everyone likes it here. That doesn't mean he's going to make the team, but he's going to have a chance. He's pitched good enough to do that."

chisoxmike
03-19-2007, 11:24 PM
I think he's bound for Birmingham, where he will perform well and be a steady part of their rotation. He'll be back next year, probably do AAA then and eventually get up to the Majors, just not yet.

And my mid-summer when Floyd and Danks aren't getting it done, people on WSI will be calling for this guy to be brought up.

California Sox
03-20-2007, 12:06 AM
I watched the game today on MLB TV. No question the guy has a chance. Reminded me a little bit in mound demeanor of Danny Wright before Wright got hurt. From what I saw his repertoire seems more suited to set up than to be a starter. He seems to lack an out pitch to left-handed hitters. But he was nasty in stretches. Who knows? The way Aardsma is pitching maybe he breaks camp with them. Personally, I hope they send him to the minors and he continues to develop his change

Hitmen77
03-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Here's a new Phil Rogers article on Adam Russell:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070319rogers,1,4693548.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Domeshot17
03-20-2007, 12:41 AM
i like this kid a lot. he could be a great power arm in the pen with aardsma not showing much

HotelWhiteSox
03-20-2007, 12:42 AM
I don't know, I didn't see it I guess, didn't seem like anything that special

Madvora
03-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Two articles about Russel and the 5th spot out today.

Trib (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070319sox,1,7458745.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Sun Times (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/304097,CST-SPT-soxnt20.article)

russ99
03-20-2007, 10:31 AM
What's the scouting report on this guy?

From my trusty Baseball America 2007 prospect book:

#8 Sox Prospect - His size (6-8) is an intimidating presence on the mound and has learned to use it to his advantage. He throws on a downhill plane from a high slot and reaches the mid-90s with his lively fastball his best days. He'll alter his arm slot and drop down to give batters a different look with his fastball and slider. He's gained confidence in throwing four-seamers at the top of the zone after establishing his heater in the lower half. Russell's changeup and curveball are still works in progress and he doesn't dominate hitters because they don't have to respect his offspeed stuff. He tends to overthrow when things aren't going well.

It goes on to say the Sox had him as a reliever originally and have converted him into a starter. They also say he needs to gain experience with his repetoire and will pitch in AA in 2007. I think with this spring he might be considered for AAA, but they have a glut of starters so AA to start and moving up if he can dominate in Birmingham.

Also, did the Sox change AAA affiliate this year? Or are they still in Charlotte?

soxfan13
03-20-2007, 10:38 AM
I don't know, I didn't see it I guess, didn't seem like anything that special

I dont know either I thought he looked real good yesterday but I dont know about him taking the 5th starters role this year.

cbotnyse
03-20-2007, 10:39 AM
where's his fastball clocked?

Steelrod
03-20-2007, 11:16 AM
where's his fastball clocked?
92-96 according to the board in Surprise.

cbotnyse
03-20-2007, 11:27 AM
92-96 according to the board in Surprise.thats pretty damn good. And he is 6'8''? How's his off speed stuff?

soxinem1
03-20-2007, 11:42 AM
I think he is a diamond in the rough, but he is still a bit raw to be placed in an MLB rotation. Still, with what Aardsma has shown, he can beat him out for a relief spot on the team. My hunch is that he goes to AA to get some seasoning, and gets recalled if we need a starter, an extra arm, or in September.

IndianWhiteSox
03-20-2007, 11:54 AM
From my trusty Baseball America 2007 prospect book:

It goes on to say the Sox had him as a reliever originally and have converted him into a starter. They also say he needs to gain experience with his repetoire and will pitch in AA in 2007. I think with this spring he might be considered for AAA, but they have a glut of starters so AA to start and moving up if he can dominate in Birmingham.

Also, did the Sox change AAA affiliate this year? Or are they still in Charlotte?

92-96 according to the board in Surprise.

If this is really the case then, you might have yourself a keeper for a long time, god forbid injury on his arm due to that motion.

But if he did join the bullpen, then you would have a lineup that could match up with anyone in the eastern conference:

PG- Masset
SG- MacDougal
SF- Thornton
PF- Russell
C- Sisco

balke
03-20-2007, 12:12 PM
He was pitching pretty well yesterday. I think he would've stayed in longer if he didn't take that ball off his forearm.

I think I heard after the game the only contenders right now are Danks and Floyd. I think Floyd is going to be starting the season come heck or high water.

infohawk
03-20-2007, 12:18 PM
i like this kid a lot. he could be a great power arm in the pen with aardsma not showing much
Agreed. I think he will eventually be in the rotation either next year or the year after, but has a shot at the 'pen at some point this season. I'm guessing if the Sox needed a spot-start, it would go to whichever one of Haeger, Danks or Floyd who doesn't get the 5-spot in the rotation.

maurice
03-20-2007, 12:25 PM

Still the Charlotte Knights.

roylestillman
03-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Just got back from AZ after watching Russell in the game at Surprise yesterday. He was impressive. He got himself into a few jams and would get out of them with ease. Even with a suspect gun (he threw one at 46 MPH) I would still say he's in the low 90's. But he also has an effective off speed pitch that caught one guy loooking flat footed. I know its nuts to consider him the #5, but if he stays consistent and Danks and Floyd remain unimpressive, he may back door into it.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Russell = Brandon McCarthy Part 2? Prospect that comes out of nowhere to impress the team and others around the game. They build him up to be a potential ace and then 2 years later he gets traded?

I saw him pitch a few innings against the Royals and I just have one question, how many pitches does he have? I saw him throw an impressive two-seamer, a solid 95 MPH fastball, and a so-so changeup. Does he have anything else? Maybe a slider or sinker that I missed, but not a lot of movement on his stuff except his solid two-seamer.

balke
03-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Russell = Brandon McCarthy Part 2? Prospect that comes out of nowhere to impress the team and others around the game. They build him up to be a potential ace and then 2 years later he gets traded?

I saw him pitch a few innings against the Royals and I just have one question, how many pitches does he have? I saw him throw an impressive two-seamer, a solid 95 MPH fastball, and a so-so changeup. Does he have anything else? Maybe a slider or sinker that I missed, but not a lot of movement on his stuff except his solid two-seamer.

Could also go the other route and say he's Jon Rauch part deux. Tall pitcher, overhyped and disappointing. But I think this guy might pitch better. He looked real good and at least focused out there. He didn't have any wild pitches that I remember. The only time he slipped a little was after he got hit in the arm with a pitch, and I think he still struck the batter out with a generous outside corner.

Great showing and some good quotes I've heard from the guy. I'd be pretty happy if he stayed strong and took a relief spot away from someone. He could come in handy if Floyd and Danks can't give us 6 innings consistantly (Or Vazquez for that matter).