PDA

View Full Version : neighborhood parking question

ewokpelts
03-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Who do I contact to report ass****s selling thier passes/stickers?

itsnotrequired
03-19-2007, 11:43 AM

E-mail Brooks...

Jerko
03-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Didn't some idiot get busted selling those a few years ago? I'd call 311.

chisoxmike
03-19-2007, 11:49 AM

Why? Is this some "I don't want a north sider/suburbanite parking on the south side" sort of thing?

:whocares:

DumpJerry
03-19-2007, 11:55 AM
311 or the Alderman's office.

ewokpelts
03-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Why? Is this some "I don't want a north sider/suburbanite parking on the south side" sort of thing?

:whocares:it's making money off something that's meant for YOU, as a resident, to use

chisoxmike
03-19-2007, 02:01 PM
it's making money off something that's meant for YOU, as a resident, to use

But if they don't need it, why not make some $$ of it? I dont get why it effects you and why you need to smoke these people out.

spiffie
03-19-2007, 02:30 PM
But if they don't need it, why not make some $$ of it? I dont get why it effects you and why you need to smoke these people out.
North Siders and suburbanites bring trouble and bring down neighborhoods. Just wait until they start to move in and the Starbucks/Caribou turf wars begin.

skottyj242
03-19-2007, 02:35 PM
I've had one for years, please don't turn me in. I have never bought one thought, always gotten it from a friend.

itsnotrequired
03-19-2007, 02:42 PM

Eh, I can see both sides of the issue. On one hand, there are a finite number of passes and if the person who sells them used them themselves, there would still be that car on the street. On the other hand, if someone sells them and doesn't own a car themselves, then that is just one more car on the street.

I'm of the opinion that they shouldn't be sold but I don't have a problem with folks giving them away to friends.

southwstchi4life
03-19-2007, 02:43 PM
These people that live in Bridgeport deal with many obnoxious drunk people and noise all the time after games. I don't see why someone should to turn them in for making a little money.

soxfan13
03-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Flog them all especially skottyj:smile:

thedudeabides
03-19-2007, 02:50 PM
I've had one for years, please don't turn me in. I have never bought one thought, always gotten it from a friend.

A friend of mine is a cop in the district and gives them away to his friends. Most of the cops in the district do. I usually don't take one because I go to 10-15 games a year and like to tailgate in the parking lot. I don't see the big deal, but I don't live in Bridgeport. It happens in every neighborhood in the city.

Jerko
03-19-2007, 02:55 PM
I can't find a link, but the SELLING of them is what pissed people off a few years back. If I gave 10 away nobody would care, but if I sold 5 I'd have my tit in a ringer. There's not really that much room to park to begin with so it's not like the neigborhood will go to hell over this. I'd rather give my buddies a few stickers now and get it over with than having them call me every time they go to a game for a daily pass.

skottyj242
03-19-2007, 03:00 PM
I drive to like 25-30 games a year and it saves me a ton of money.

DumpJerry
03-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Well actually Mike, it's kinda illegal. The city passed an ordinance a couple of years back making it illegal to sell or offer to purchase the passes. It states this on the pass (section 9-68-020 of the Chicago Municipal Code). There is a $500 fine if busted. I got mine for this year from a friend, so I'm all set.

Ewok is a bit off-base in his assertion that the passes are for residents, BTW. They are for guests of residents. Residents get a sticker for their windshield.

chisoxmike
03-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Well actually Mike, it's kinda illegal. The city passed an ordinance a couple of years back making it illegal to sell or offer to purchase the passes. It states this on the pass (section 9-68-020 of the Chicago Municipal Code). There is a $500 fine if busted. I got mine for this year from a friend, so I'm all set.

Ewok is a bit off-base in his assertion that the passes are for residents, BTW. They are for guests of residents. Residents get a sticker for their windshield.

I know its illegal, but I don't understand why Ewok is out to get these people and is taking it upon himself to go a citizen's arrest.

DumpJerry
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
I know its illegal, but I don't understand why Ewok is out to get these people and is taking it upon himself to go a citizen's arrest.
Well now, "that is a horse of a different color" quoth The mayor of Emerald City.

bridgeportcopper
03-19-2007, 03:58 PM
A friend of mine is a cop in the district and gives them away to his friends. Most of the cops in the district do. I usually don't take one because I go to 10-15 games a year and like to tailgate in the parking lot. I don't see the big deal, but I don't live in Bridgeport. It happens in every neighborhood in the city.
Doubt it - I've been working in that district for 7 years and we are given 1, I repeat 1, sticker. If I wanna take wife's car to work - outta luck, unless I wanna go grovel at the 11th ward office, where they may give you 1 more. But believe me - they will mark it down and you won't get another.

DumpJerry
03-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Doubt it - I've been working in that district for 7 years and we are given 1, I repeat 1, sticker. If I wanna take wife's car to work - outta luck, unless I wanna go grovel at the 11th ward office, where they may give you 1 more. But believe me - they will mark it down and you won't get another.
I think he is referring to the guest cards we put on the dashboard, not the sticker which is sent to the resident for their own vehicle.

jabrch
03-19-2007, 04:18 PM
I think he is referring to the guest cards we put on the dashboard, not the sticker which is sent to the resident for their own vehicle.

Me too. Those season long stickers are readily available from the Alderman's office. Anyone who lives in the zone can get them and give/sell them.

DumpJerry
03-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Me too. Those season long stickers are readily available from the Alderman's office. Anyone who lives in the zone can get them and give/sell them.
Give, not sell.

thedudeabides
03-19-2007, 04:58 PM

He gave 5 of them out last year, but I'm not sure where he got them. I should probably shut up before I get someone in trouble. :smile:

Beer Can Chicken
03-19-2007, 06:32 PM

Nobody likes a tattle.

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 12:02 AM
I've had one for years, please don't turn me in. I have never bought one thought, always gotten it from a friend.i have no problem with giving or laoning passes...i have a problem with ass****s making money off it

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Nobody likes a tattle.well....dont cry to me when your windows get smashed by residents...they are pretty weird about interlopers
Gene

p.s. I dont live there. My brother does. He's been threatened even though he has a sticker and lives in the parking zone.

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Doubt it - I've been working in that district for 7 years and we are given 1, I repeat 1, sticker. If I wanna take wife's car to work - outta luck, unless I wanna go grovel at the 11th ward office, where they may give you 1 more. But believe me - they will mark it down and you won't get another.i've been told the ward office is loosey goosey with passes, especially later in the season.

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 12:06 AM
I think he is referring to the guest cards we put on the dashboard, not the sticker which is sent to the resident for their own vehicle.i'm talking about stickers

spiffie
03-20-2007, 12:09 AM
well....dont cry to me when your windows get smashed by residents...they are pretty weird about interlopers
Gene

p.s. I dont live there. My brother does. He's been threatened even though he has a sticker and lives in the parking zone.
Seems like vandalism and property damage are a bigger issue than selling of parking passes. I hope you'll be as vigilant about trying to stop that sort of behavior as you are about this.

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 12:09 AM

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tix/296608526.html

spiffie
03-20-2007, 12:11 AM
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tix/296608526.html
If you're going to use Craig's List posts as evidence, wait until we get to see them before you get them flagged and removed.

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 12:14 AM
If you're going to use Craig's List posts as evidence, wait until we get to see them before you get them flagged and removed.
it's still viewable to me

spiffie
03-20-2007, 01:23 AM
it's still viewable to me
Probably just your cache hasn't updated the page. Here it sends me to:

Posting flagged (http://chicago.craigslist.org/about/help/flags_and_community_moderation) down by craigslist users

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

DumpJerry
03-20-2007, 06:59 AM
Ewok: I think you've made your point. Give it a rest already.

itsnotrequired
03-20-2007, 07:11 AM

Threatened by whom? Other residents? The cops? People demanding to buy his passes?

:dunno:

DumpJerry
03-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Threatened by whom? Other residents? The cops? People demanding to buy his passes?

By his brother.

Beer Can Chicken
03-20-2007, 07:15 AM
well....dont cry to me when your windows get smashed by residents...they are pretty weird about interlopers
Gene

What do you think the neighbor that found out you finked on him would to do you?
I'm sure he'd embrace you with a hug.

itsnotrequired
03-20-2007, 07:22 AM
By his brother.

See, now this is funny.

:cool:

Cat Thief
03-20-2007, 08:22 AM

Don't worry, this is just the yearly rant about how the residents around the park are crazy. I know we have had this coversation with Gene before. I have used these passes for at least 9 years and I have never had a problem. Most residents just say hello and Go Sox!

Jerko
03-20-2007, 09:13 AM
I just went to the ward office and got 5 extra stickers and 6 extra passes. You either have to "sign in" on a sheet or show proof of residency. Depends on who is working there and when you go. They send TWO of each in the mail to residents. Now when my cousins or friends go to games they can park by my house, get a pass, and walk to the game, or I'll pull my car out and let them use my garage. I get extras because sometimes they forget to give them back afterwards and frankly I have better things to do than go looking for them when the game ends to worry about it. I don't charge anything though which is what got ewok going, and technically, he's right. You're NOT supposed to sell them.

chisoxmike
03-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Gene

So when the people are bashing windows in, do they know for a FACT that they bought a pass or was given one?

Also, bashing someone's car up is a tad more serious than selling a parking sticker so I hope you take your Chicago Police Badge and turn those people in too.

chisoxmike
03-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Don't worry, this is just the yearly rant about how the residents around the park are crazy. I know we have had this coversation with Gene before. I have used these passes for at least 9 years and I have never had a problem. Most residents just say hello and Go Sox!

Yeah, we get a parking card we put on our dashboard from family of a friend and nobody gives us crap about it.

spiffie
03-20-2007, 10:20 AM
I just went to the ward office and got 5 extra stickers and 6 extra passes. You either have to "sign in" on a sheet or show proof of residency. Depends on who is working there and when you go. They send TWO of each in the mail to residents. Now when my cousins or friends go to games they can park by my house, get a pass, and walk to the game, or I'll pull my car out and let them use my garage. I get extras because sometimes they forget to give them back afterwards and frankly I have better things to do than go looking for them when the game ends to worry about it. I don't charge anything though which is what got ewok going, and technically, he's right. You're NOT supposed to sell them.
Damn, I want to live in your ward! My ward office just hands you the mail-in form and the addresses of city hall and the satellite office and sends you on your way.

itsnotrequired
03-20-2007, 11:52 AM
i have no problem with giving or laoning passes...i have a problem with ass****s making money off it

Aren't you the guy who just last season was selling 22 tickets that you got from Season Ticket Exchange? That is a service provided to season ticket holders as a convenience, not a vehicle for profit. I'm sure the Sox would gladly have the $18 people paid directly to you rather than to the organization.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-76917.html

chisoxmike
03-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Aren't you the guy who just last season was selling 22 tickets that you got from Season Ticket Exchange? That is a service provided to season ticket holders as a convenience, not a vehicle for profit. I'm sure the Sox would gladly have the $18 people paid directly to you rather than to the organization.

Don't forget his StubHub love. StubHub is a "how much more than face can I sell my tickets for" outlet. His reasoning is full of holes.

itsnotrequired
03-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Don't forget his StubHub love. StubHub is a "how much more than face can I sell my tickets for" outlet.

I don't have a problem with that. Selling your own tickets on sites like eBay and StubHub is a perfectly fine outlet for doing so. What I have a problem with is the argument that selling parking passes (which are a benefit exclusive to residents) is bad while selling Ticket Exchange tickets (which are a benefit exclusive to season ticket holders) is okay.

I suppose the argument can be made that the former is illegal while the later isn't specifically but that's really splitting hairs.

chisoxmike
03-20-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't have a problem with that. Selling your own tickets on sites like eBay and StubHub is a perfectly fine outlet for doing so. What I have a problem with is the argument that selling parking passes (which are a benefit exclusive to residents) is bad while selling Ticket Exchange tickets (which are a benefit exclusive to season ticket holders) is okay.

I suppose the argument can be made that the former is illegal while the later isn't specifically but that's really splitting hairs.

I don't have a problem with those sites either (If you can get someone to overpay for a regular season baseball game, why not?) But he hates the fact people are selling parking passes for a profit, but has no issues with selling tickets for profit on sites or selling Ticket Exchange tix.

Like I said, story is full of holes.

soxfan13
03-20-2007, 12:09 PM

SUper Sleuth :tongue:

itsnotrequired
03-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I don't have a problem with those sites either (If you can get someone to overpay for a regular season baseball game, why not?) But he hates the fact people are selling parking passes for a profit, but has no issues with selling tickets for profit on sites...

Like I said, story is full of holes.

I feel it is more an issue of taking something that is free but exclusive and turning it around for profit. Selling your own tickets isn't that big a deal to me as you have to buy them in the first place and just about anyone can buy tickets and sell them for profit but you have to be a resident to get a parking pass and you have to be a season ticket holder to exchange tickets to games already played. No one else gets these "perks" and they are provided by the Powers that Be (City of Chicago and the Sox) for the convenience of their respective "clientele", not for their profit. I'm sure the City would be just as happy to put parking meters throughout Bridgeport just like the Sox would rather sell exchange tickets rather than give them away for free.

chisoxmike
03-20-2007, 12:16 PM
I feel it is more an issue of taking something that is free but exclusive and turning it around for profit. Selling your own tickets isn't that big a deal as just about anyone can buy tickets and sell them for profit but you have to be a resident to get a parking pass and you have to be a season ticket holder to exchange tickets to games already played. No one else gets these "perks" and they are provided by the Powers that Be (City of Chicago and the Sox) for the convenience of their respective "clientele", not for their profit. I'm sure the City would be just as happy to put parking meters throughout Bridgeport just like the Sox would rather sell exchange tickets rather than give them away for free.

"THEY TOOK OUR PURKING SPACES!"

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 12:46 PM

:dunno:other residents that thought he was just going to the games

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Ewok: I think you've made your point. Give it a rest already.excuse me?

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 12:47 PM
What do you think the neighbor that found out you finked on him would to do you?
I'm sure he'd embrace you with a hug.i really dont care

itsnotrequired
03-20-2007, 12:53 PM
other residents that thought he was just going to the games

What, is he sleeping in his car? Why would they think he is a non-resident? I haven't heard any other tales of residents getting hassled by other residents.

DumpJerry
03-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Contrary to Ewok's experiences, when I park my car in the 'hood with the pass for a game I have found that my tires were rotated and the oil changed when I get out from the game.

IlliniSox4Life
03-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Contrary to Ewok's experiences, when I park my car in the 'hood with the pass for a game I have found that my tires were rotated and the oil changed when I get out from the game.

You're welcome.

spiffie
03-20-2007, 01:00 PM
This whole thread makes me feel much better about my expenditure on green parking passes for my weekend plan.

DumpJerry
03-20-2007, 01:00 PM
You're welcome.
That's why I'm a Sox fan-better surroundings!

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 01:01 PM

and what the **** does TICKETS have do with this? and for the record, I followed the rules of the WSI ticket exchange when i sold those tickets here.

itsnotrequired
03-20-2007, 01:03 PM
and what the **** does TICKETS have do with this? and for the record, I followed the rules of the WSI ticket exchange when i sold those tickets here.

You're whining about residents selling their parking passes. What about someone who can't get tickets to a sold out game because season ticket holders are exchanging and selling the tickets themselves? In principle, what's the difference?

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Don't forget his StubHub love. StubHub is a "how much more than face can I sell my tickets for" outlet. His reasoning is full of holes.i only pimp stubhub DISCOUNT codes. so that people SAVE money. i dont steer anyone towards tickets i'm selling on stub hub.

dont forget that i got in BIG ****ING TROUBLE with the Sox in 2005 over MY DISTRIBUTING THOUSANDS OF TEACHER'S NIGHT VOUCHERS HERE ON THIS SITE. Vouchers that a lot of users here bought tickets 75% off the box office price. I guess my logic is full of holes if i risked my season tickets over helping people that cant afford the ****ing high ticket prices.

itsnotrequired
03-20-2007, 01:08 PM
i only pimp stubhub DISCOUNT codes. so that people SAVE money. i dont steer anyone towards tickets i'm selling on stub hub.

dont forget that i got in BIG ****ING TROUBLE with the Sox in 2005 over MY DISTRIBUTING THOUSANDS OF TEACHER'S NIGHT VOUCHERS HERE ON THIS SITE. Vouchers that a lot of users here bought tickets 75% off the box office price. I guess my logic is full of holes if i risked my season tickets over helping people that cant afford the ****ing high ticket prices.

How do you think the Sox would feel if they knew you were selling your exchange tickets for personal profit?

ewokpelts
You're whining about residents selling their parking passes. What about someone who can't get tickets to a sold out game because season ticket holders are exchanging and selling the tickets themselves? In principle, what's the difference?yeah, that seattle game was really sold out. and i doubt you didnt see all the scalpers begging people to buy thier tickets for $5.

chisoxfanatic

My car was washed, and I came back to a full tank of gas. :cool:

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 01:09 PM
How do you think the Sox would feel if they knew you were selling your exchange tickets for personal profit?i never got a call over something that i paid for.

and you're free to call them about this if you like.
go email tom sheridan, the director of ticket services, tsheridan@chisox.com
or brooks.

itsnotrequired
03-20-2007, 01:10 PM
yeah, that seattle game was really sold out. and i doubt you didnt see all the scalpers begging people to buy thier tickets for $5.

So the fact that it wasn't sold out makes it okay? If there was ample parking in Bridgeport, would you care if residents sold their passes?

itsnotrequired
03-20-2007, 01:10 PM
i never got a call over something that i paid for.

and you're free to call them about this if you like.
go email tom sheridan, the director of ticket services, tsheridan@chisox.com
or brooks.

You didn't pay for the tickets you got through exchange, the Sox did.

ewokpelts
03-20-2007, 01:14 PM
You didn't pay for the tickets you got through exchange, the Sox did.i exchanged unused tickets for tickets they were going to have a hard time selling. so any money "lost" is outweighed by a butt in the seat.

and the lady i sold the tickets to needed a bunch for a work group outing. I got her in at a lower price than she would have paid through group sales or the box office. I took a loss, and she had more than enough tickets for her group. I have heard no complaints from her or anyone that sat with her that day(I sat in other exchange tix nearby that day)

DumpJerry
03-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Ewok, you need to take two weeks to learn how to be more civil.

Oh, and change your sig when you get back. Carl has not been on the team for 1.5 years!

itsnotrequired
03-20-2007, 01:21 PM
and the lady i sold the tickets to needed a bunch for a work group outing. I got her in at a lower price than she would have paid through group sales or the box office. I took a loss, and she had more than enough tickets for her group. I have heard no complaints from her or anyone that sat with her that day(I sat in other exchange tix nearby that day)

So what's the problem with a resident selling a pass to someone for less than the cost of Sox parking? Isn't that resident providing a service to Sox fans by offering lower priced parking? And the neighborhood should be thanking this resident because by parking away from the park, they will walk by local businesses and potentially spend money. If they were in the parking lot, they would simply get in their cars and go home.

Jerko
03-20-2007, 01:48 PM
I've had ONE resident v. resident confrontation over these passes in all the years they existed. My buddy drove to the game and picked me up on the way. I threw a pass with my address on it in the window and we parked on like 33rd and Normal. Some lady came out and said I was on the "wrong block" because I don't live on 33rd and Normal. I said lady, they give out daily passes to people who have parties, so I'm sure someone who has 50 passes has guests that DON'T park on his block. As long as the name and address on the pass is in the zone, you can park anywhere (legally that is) in that zone. To make her happy, I called home and had a STICKER brought to the car and put the sticker in the window. Car got keyed while we were at the game. Some people DO think they own the street just because they have those passes so I can see some resident resistance over scalped stickers. How they would KNOW that is a mystery but you really aren't supposed to be selling those.

ChiSox524
03-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I live right by soldier field, so I get the same kind of thing for the Bears.

DumpJerry
03-20-2007, 05:08 PM
I live right by soldier field, so I get the same kind of thing for the Bears.
What thing? Ewok trying to take on anyone who sells a pass?:tongue:

RadioheadRocks
03-20-2007, 05:15 PM

So what we have here is a textbook example of "do as I say, not as I do"...

ChiSox524
03-20-2007, 06:03 PM
What thing? Ewok trying to take on anyone who sells a pass?:tongue:

We get the same kind of sticker and guest cards.

FarmerAndy
03-21-2007, 11:22 AM
I just finished reading through this thread, and I can understand the feelings on all sides. I live at 33rd and Princeton. It sucks when I come home from work 2.5 hours before game time and I can't find anywhere near my place to park because the street is filled with cars of non-residents. But I understand that I live by a ballpark and that just comes with the territory. I don't cry about it. And when any of my friends are going to a game, I let them use a pass. That's what they are for - guests of residents.

So with as big of a headache as everything already is, of course it angers me a bit when I hear of people selling their guest passes to just anybody who will pay. It's a rotten thing to do. But at the same time, I know that it's going to happen. I'm not going to waste my time trying to bust people for it. People with the mind set to sell the things are scumbags in my opinion. But if crappy people like that can live with themselves, who am I to stop them from being what they are?

Bottom Line: Living by the park can be a huge pain in the backside, but the good outweighs the bad....by far. So suck it up and deal with it.

soxfan80
03-21-2007, 11:50 AM
So what we have here is a textbook example of "do as I say, not as I do"...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1233911&postcount=13

itsnotrequired
03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1233911&postcount=13

Looks like the policy has changed based on TornLabrum's latest post in the Ticket Exchange. Under the old system, how would one define what a ticket is worth? Is it what the seller paid for it? Is it the equivelent of the price of the exchanged ticket? Is it the value printed on the ticket? Face value on a season ticket is less than face value of a single game ticket but can a season ticket really be considered to be worth less than a single-game ticket?

As I read it, the new system is that face value is face value. If it says $0.00 on the ticket, it cannot be sold on the Ticket Exchange.

soxfan80
03-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Looks like the policy has changed based on TornLabrum's latest post in the Ticket Exchange. Under the old system, how would one define what a ticket is worth? Is it what the seller paid for it? Is it the equivelent of the price of the exchanged ticket? Is it the value printed on the ticket? Face value on a season ticket is less than face value of a single game ticket but can a season ticket really be considered to be worth less than a single-game ticket?

As I read it, the new system is that face value is face value. If it says $0.00 on the ticket, it cannot be sold on the Ticket Exchange.
So, you can be a hypocrite for abiding by the rules? Even if that rule was amended after the fact?

itsnotrequired
03-21-2007, 12:55 PM
So, you can be a hypocrite for abiding by the rules? Even if that rule was amended after the fact?

That's not a question that I can answer.

comet2k
03-21-2007, 02:48 PM
No matter what the rules are here, trying to sell exchanged tickets is awkward. The face value indicates you obtained it for free, which is true in one respect, but as a STH you also paid for the original ticket.

I only exchanged tickets for two games last year and ended up giving them to friends who bought two other tickets from me to the same game. I didn't want to explain how it works and then try to recover my original cost for seats that didn't have the same value.

I don't know if I would be so generous if I got stuck with a dozen or more exchanged tickets. That's a lotta dough.