PDA

View Full Version : Your 2007 Fearless Baseball Predictions...

chisoxmike
03-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Opening day is a mere two weeks away.

Put them down now, they can be about the Sox or baseball in general. Who's going to have a good year, who's going to surprise. Got a feeling about something? Put it down.

I'll start...

1) The Boston Red Sox do not make the playoffs.
2) Mark Buehrle wins 15 games
3) The Kansas City Royals will win 70 games, but still finish in last.
4) Phillies win the NL East
5) 3 Division races go down to the final weekend series of the regular season, the other 3 are decided the final week. The Yankees are the only team that is a "shoe-in" with a divison title - but not because they play out of their minds all season.

IndianWhiteSox
03-19-2007, 01:05 PM
1.)The White Sox win 110 games in the regular season and beat the Jays and Orioles in the playoffs en route to win the world series.

2.) The Orioles will win the AL EAST while the Blue Jays will win the wild card as there will no Yanks or Sawx in the post-season this year.

3.) The Royals finish ahead of the Twins and Indians

4.) Bonds will get injured or arrested before he hits 756 HRS

5.) Vazquez, Contreras, Buehrle, and Garland will each win 20 games, while Gavin Floyd will win 15 games.

6.) The Cubs will set the all time record for losses in a single season.

7.) The winner of the AL west will not win 90 games

cheeses_h_rice
03-19-2007, 01:10 PM
The White Sox finish in third place behind the Tigers and Indians, winning about 86-88 games.

Our fifth starter position turns out to be a disaster. One of our topline 4 starters has a terrible year.

:darkclouds:

kraut83
03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
-Barry Bonds does not break Aaron's HR record this year.
-I second the Red Sox not making the playoffs.
-John Gibbons is the first manager fired.
-2 playoff teams from the AL Central and NL East.
-The Yankees & Red Sox will be on ESPN more than once this year.

eriqjaffe
03-19-2007, 01:19 PM
-Barry Bonds does not break Aaron's HR record this year.Aaron Rowand?!

areilly
03-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Around the league:
1) Indians make the playoffs, but after Eric Wedge is fired.
2) Mike Hargrove does not lose his job.
3) Matsuzaka has a pretty good year but wins neither ROY nor Cy Young.
4) Boston does not make the playoffs.
5) Roger Clemens signs with the Yankees.
6) Cubs make the playoffs with fewer than 87 wins.

On the South Side:
1) Buerhle is allowed to walk after a poor year.
2) Konerko's numbers improve over last year, Dye's drop, both have great seasons.
3) Bobby Jenks will save 45+ games.
4) Uribe tanks, which leads to Joe Crede and a bundle of prospects being traded in July for Alex Rodriguez.
5) Javy emerges as one of the top pitchers in the league. Finally.
6) Dye gets an extension mid-season.

soxfan13
03-19-2007, 03:01 PM
1.)The White Sox win 100 games in the regular season and beat the Jays and Orioles in the playoffs en route to win the world series.

2.) The Orioles will win the AL EAST while the Blue Jays will win the wild card as there will no Yanks or Sawx in the post-season this year.

3.) The Royals finish ahead of the Twins and Indians

4.) Bonds will get injured or arrested before he hits 756 HRS

5.) Vazquez, Contreras, Buehrle, and Garland will each win 20 games, while Gavin Floyd will win 15 games.

6.) The Cubs will set the all time record for losses in a single season

was your teal button broke for most of these

PKalltheway
03-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Mark Buehrle has a spectacular comeback season, winning 18 games.

The Detroit Tigers win 98 games to win the AL Central (and take best record in the AL), followed somewhat closely by the AL Wild Card winning White Sox, who finish with 93 wins.

Cleveland keeps things competitive in the AL Central, finishing third with 89 wins.

Boston wins the AL East with 91 wins, two better than the second place Blue Jays, and three better than the New York Yankees, who will miss the playoffs for the first time since 1993.

The Los Angeles Angels win the AL West by four games over the Texas Rangers.

In the NL....

The Phils finish with the best record in the majors, astounding everybody with 99 wins. The New York Mets win the Wild Card with 96 wins. The Braves will make things tough, contending until the last two weeks of the season.

The NL Central is a dogfight to the finish between the Cubs and Reds. The Cubs and Reds both finish with 87 wins, but the Cubs ultimately win the division based on their head to head record against Cincinnati. The defending World Champion Cardinals will tank to a miserable fifth place finish, but they'll finish light years ahead of last place Pittsburgh.

The Dodgers take the NL West with 92 wins, just one better than the suprise team of the year, the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The playoffs...
The White Sox, after scalding Boston and Detroit in the ALDS and ALCS respectively, make it back to the World Series.

The Dodgers make it to the World Series for the first time in 19 years, besting the Mets in the NLDS, and the Phillies in the NLCS.

The White Sox beat the Dodgers in a seven game thriller.

Other fearless predictions...
The White Sox will pull a rare feat: having three players finish with at least 40 homers (Konerko, Dye, and Thome).

Alex Rodriguez will finish with 48 homers and 131 RBI's, but that won't be enough for the demanding Yankee fans, who are livid over the fact that they missed the playoffs. He leaves New York after the season.

The Nationals, Pirates, and Devil Rays will all lose at least 100 games. The Nasty Nats will be the worst of them all, losing 115 games.

The AL will finally lose an All Star Game, getting slammed by the NL 14-0. Ryan Howard blasts two homers in the rout, one of which goes 475 feet. Daisuke Matzusaka (sp?) starts for the AL and gives up 7 runs in the first inning.

soxfan13
03-19-2007, 03:08 PM
1. Sox will win 92 games and make the playoffs in a closely contested Central between the Twins and the Indians

2. The wild card will come via the Central between the Sox, Twins and Indians

3. The Cubs will win the NL Central starting crazy talk about crosstown series

4. Sosa will have a decent year 25+ home runs knocking in about 75

5. Sox will defeat the Padres in 6 games to bring home their second World Series in 3 years:smile:

IndianWhiteSox
03-19-2007, 03:15 PM
was your teal button broke for most of these

I had a feeling that you or would make such a statement like this, this is a FEARLESS PREDICTION THREAD! Where you can go out on a limb and not care about the aftermath of it.

1. Sox will win 92 games and make the playoffs in a closely contested Central between the Twins and the Indians

2. The wild card will come via the Central between the Sox, Twins and Indians

3. The Cubs will win the NL Central starting crazy talk about crosstown series

4. Sosa will have a decent year 25+ home runs knocking in about 75

5. Sox will defeat the Padres in 6 games to bring home their second World Series in 3 years:smile:

You should ask yourself the same question. No wait, you're right! The Cubs winning the NL Central and Sosa hitting 25HRS/75RBI's is more likely than the Blue Jays and Orioles making the playoffs.

PaulDrake
03-19-2007, 03:17 PM
The White Sox finish in third place behind the Tigers and Indians, winning about 86-88 games.

Our fifth starter position turns out to be a disaster. One of our topline 4 starters has a terrible year.

:darkclouds: Right now I'm leaning towards your point of view. I don't think any of the candidates for the 5th starter spot is ready. I'm thinking that one of the four top starters will over produce, one will tank, and the two remaining will be within their normal parameters. I also think that one of our veteran position players will falter, but expect Podsednik to get back on track and Erstad to be productive. Yeah, about 85-89 wins sounds about right. I reserve the right to change my mind, and certainly hope I'm wrong.

Moses_Scurry
03-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Mariotti calls for an Ozzie suspension no less than five times.

Ozzie misses zero games due to suspension.

Marriotti calls for Ozzie to be fired no less than three times.

The season ends with Ozzie still the manager of the Sox!

oh yeah ... 2007 WORLD CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spiffie
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
I had a feeling that you or would make such a statement like this, this is a FEARLESS PREDICTION THREAD! Where you can go out on a limb and not care about the aftermath of it.

You should ask yourself the same question. No wait, you're right! The Cubs winning the NL Central and Sosa hitting 25HRS/75RBI's is more likely than the Blue Jays and Orioles making the playoffs.
Considering the odds of the Blue Jays AND Orioles making the playoffs would probably be somewhere around one in one hundred billion, I'd say the teal is not needed.

As for my predictions:
-Matsuzaka will win R.O.Y. and come in top 6 in the Cy Young voting.
-Billy Butler will play for the Royals at some point this year and look impressive.
-Carl Crawford will finally get traded at the trade deadline.

SABRSox
03-19-2007, 03:30 PM
-Each team will play 162 games.
-The teams with best record in each division will go to the playoffs. The teams with the next best record (though not a division leader) in each league will be awarded a "Wild Card" spot and also go to the playoffs.
-The Cubs will not be one of the playoff teams.
-Churros will be plentiful at USCF.

IndianWhiteSox
03-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Considering the odds of the Blue Jays AND Orioles making the playoffs would probably be somewhere around one in one hundred billion, I'd say the teal is not needed.

As for my predictions:
-Matsuzaka will win R.O.Y. and come in top 6 in the Cy Young voting.
-Billy Butler will play for the Royals at some point this year and look impressive.
-Carl Crawford will finally get traded at the trade deadline.

Nice predictions on your part spiffie, but the thing is, about the teal remark, with the Frank Thomas signing and the Orioles "supposedly" having their bullpen shored up to go along with their solid starting pitching(any of whom could easily be the sox 5th starter), have a damn good chance of knocking off the Yanks and the Sawx. Not to mention that the Tigers and Twins will decline, the Indians are the Indians, the AL west or "mess" is a such a crapshoot that none of those teams look like they'll win 90 games. Don't forget that the Yanks and Blow Sawx pitching is very suspect at best considering that the Blow Sawx lineup isn't all that good anyway. Also, Sosa probably will fizzle out after a month and not even hit 10 HRS after he gets run out of Texas, while the Cubs have to have the worst combination of bad "D" with bad pitching.

soxfanatlanta
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
I made predictions last year; all were wrong; so here is my only offering...
PK will hit into a triple play.
The Sox will turn a triple play.

soxfan13
03-19-2007, 03:39 PM

Was actually talking about your wishful thinking of almost our whole rotation being 20 game winners minus Floyds 15 games and 100 plus wins for the White Sox. Also the Cubs setting all time losing mark. Fearless and exagerrated dont meant the same thing:tongue:

IndianWhiteSox
03-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Was actually talking about your wishful thinking of almost our whole rotation being 20 game winners minus Floyds 15 games and 100 plus wins for the White Sox. Also the Cubs setting all time losing mark. Fearless and exagerrated dont meant the same thing:tongue:

When I came to that equation, I factored in the pen getting very few decisions in that 100 win season. You know starters going into the 7th in just about every game. Also, the Cubs may have a decent offense, but that pitching staff is horrible and with the fly ball pitchers they have with that outfield defense, that will be a long season for sCrUB fans.

soxfan13
03-19-2007, 03:57 PM
When I came to that equation, I factored in the pen getting very few decisions in that 100 win season. You know starters going into the 7th in just about every game. Also, the Cubs may have a decent offense, but that pitching staff is horrible and with the fly ball pitchers they have with that outfield defense, that will be a long season for sCrUB fans.

Thats why i was asking about the teal. You are saying the Sox rotation will have 95+ wins. If that happens I will fly to India and treat you to a night out on the town but only if you are willing to bet me, that you will fly here and treat me to a night out on the town if the Cubs win their division?:tongue: bettors edit -The rotation that starts the season :)

churlish
03-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Mariotti calls for an Ozzie suspension no less than five times.

Marriotti calls for Ozzie to be fired no less than three times.

I think this is the fearless prediction thread and not the "stating the obvious" thread. :cool:

palehozenychicty
03-19-2007, 05:21 PM
I'll go ahead and give some fearless predictions:

The Baltimore Orioles make a surprise run at the Wild Card, then fade in September due to lack of experience.

The Pittsburgh Pirates make a play for the division in the crappy NL Central, with the Astros edging out the Cubbies for the postseason.

Roger Clemens rejoins the Yankees, then pulls a groin muscle in his third start, forcing his LAST "retirement".

The Arizona Diamondbacks win the NL West over the Dodgers on the last day of the season.

The Florida Marlins get stadium approval for a land site in Fort Lauderdale. The team is then contracted with the Devil Rays.

In the Battle of "Second Teams", The White Sox defeat the Mets in six games for their second title in three years.

getonbckthr
03-19-2007, 06:17 PM
AL west- Oakland, Seattle, Texas, Anaheim
AL Central-SOx, Tigers, Royals, Indians, Twins
AL East- Boston, NYY, DRAys, BJays, Orioles
NL west- DBACKs, Dodgers, Padres, Rockies, Giants
NL Central- Cubs, Brewers, Astros, Cards, Reds, Pirates
NL East- Phillies, MEts, Marlins, Braves, Nats

Andruw Jones gets traded to Cubs for Murton, Marshall and more
Torii Hunter traded to a west coast contender
Floyd pitches real well
Contreras gets hurt in May or June one of our rookies fills in steals show
Mccarthy gives up more homers than wins and starts combined.
Frank Thomas doesn't play 50 games this year.
Piazza returns to 40 hrs 100 RBI's
Pete Rose gets permanent ban lifted but strict restrictions remain opening door for Hall of Fame nod

Oblong
03-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Derek Jeter will break his wrist in a HBP on opening day and be gone for most of the season. Speculation will be that ARod should move to SS and it will become a big issue. Yanks finish in third, Torre fired.

cbrownson13
03-19-2007, 06:35 PM
AL Central:
Indians win the division.
White Sox take the Wild Card.

AL East:
Yankees win division, edging out the Blue Jays in the final week.

AL West:
Angels win division.
Seattle surprises by coming in a close second place.

AL MVP:
Travis Hafner

AL Cy Young:
Roy Halladay

ALCS:
Yankees def. Angels in 6 games

NL Central:
Cubs win central by 3 games over Houston.

NL East:
Mets win the division.
Phillies take the Wild Card.

NL West:
Padres will hold off the Diamondbacks to win the division while finishing four games over .500.

NL MVP:
Derrek Lee

NL Cy Young:
Brandon Webb

NLCS:
Mets def. Phillies in 5 games.

World Series:
Mets def. Yankees in 6 games.

SABRSox
03-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Derek Jeter will break his wrist in a HBP on opening day and be gone for most of the season. Speculation will be that ARod should move to SS and it will become a big issue. Yanks finish in third, Torre fired.

Now that's a prediction!

FarWestChicago
03-19-2007, 06:53 PM

:darkclouds:

Right now I'm leaning towards your point of view. I don't think any of the candidates for the 5th starter spot is ready. I'm thinking that one of the four top starters will over produce, one will tank, and the two remaining will be within their normal parameters. I also think that one of our veteran position players will falter, but expect Podsednik to get back on track and Erstad to be productive. Yeah, about 85-89 wins sounds about right. I reserve the right to change my mind, and certainly hope I'm wrong.I predict this is only the slightest breeze at the front of a Dark Cloud hurricane. Thank you, cheeses, for recognizing your own Cloudiness. :smile:

IndianWhiteSox
03-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Thats why i was asking about the teal. You are saying the Sox rotation will have 95+ wins. If that happens I will fly to India and treat you to a night out on the town but only if you are willing to bet me, that you will fly here and treat me to a night out on the town if the Cubs win their division?:tongue: bettors edit -The rotation that starts the season :)

I agree to that deal. If the Cubs do win their division though, I don't want to be in America or Chicago to deal with that non-sense again. But then not as many people will take flights out of Chicago so that would make fights to and from America.

India's a country not a town. So what town are you talking about? Mumbai(India's NY)? Hyderabad(India's Chicago)? Delhi(India's DC)? Goa(India's party place)? Chennai(India's Boston)? Bangalore(Another Party City)? Since I'll be in that Goa and Mumbai region for new year's this year, you can always meet me there on the last week of December(just the day after Christmas) in Goa or Mumbai International Airport.

veeter
03-19-2007, 07:20 PM
- Sox win the wild card with 92 wins.
- Juan Uribe has a big year.
- Charlie Haeger wins 14 games.
- Jon Garland wins 20, Buerhle wins 15, Jose wins 14, Javy 12, Floyd 3.
- cubs finish in 3rd.

areilly
03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
I agree to that deal. If the Cubs do win their division though, I don't want to be in America or Chicago to deal with that non-sense again. But then not as many people will take flights out of Chicago so that would make fights to and from America.

India's a country not a town. So what town are you talking about? Mumbai(India's NY)? Hyderabad(India's Chicago)? Delhi(India's DC)? Goa(India's party place)? Chennai(India's Boston)? Bangalore(Another Party City)? Since I'll be in that Goa and Mumbai region for new year's this year, you can always meet me there on the last week of December(just the day after Christmas) in Goa or Mumbai International Airport.

Thread hijack: Goa or Mumbai by a long shot. Wonderful places.

Here's another prediction: At least five big-name players are officially implicated in a steroid/HGH/etc. bust. At least two of them will come as total shocks to the baseball community - both players and fans alike.

IndianWhiteSox
03-19-2007, 07:37 PM

Here's another prediction: At least five big-name players are officially implicated in a steroid/HGH/etc. bust. At least two of them will come as total shocks to the baseball community - both players and fans alike.

I know they are great cities, just out of curiosity when did you go to those cities? But anyway that wouldn't surprise me one bit if that happened in baseball.

getonbckthr
03-19-2007, 07:41 PM

Augie Ojeda, David Wells, Rich Garces, Nick Punto and David Eckstein?

gosox41
03-19-2007, 07:57 PM
1. The AL Central winner will have 90-91 wins. The Wild Card comes from the East.

2. Frank hits 45HR's as Toronto takes the WC from the Red Sox.

3. Rangers take the AL West to the delight of Cub fans everywhere.

4. In the NL, the Cub will beat out Milwaukee in a close race, but will do it with about 86 wins. The Phillies take the East and the Dodgers take the NL West with the Diamondbacks taking the WC.

Bob

gobears1987
03-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Four players (Frank, Thome, Payrod, and Manny) will hit their 500th HR.
Glavine will get his 300th win.

cheeses_h_rice
03-19-2007, 10:46 PM
I predict this is only the slightest breeze at the front of a Dark Cloud hurricane. Thank you, cheeses, for recognizing your own Cloudiness. :smile:

Hope to god I'm wrong, but my trick knee is telling me something is amiss in 2007...

FarWestChicago
03-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Hope to god I'm wrong, but my trick knee is telling me something is amiss in 2007...Yeah, but I thought the same thing about 2005. You never know. :smile:

TheOldRoman
03-19-2007, 11:43 PM
The "genius" Jim Leyland will lead the Tigers to their familiar postion - 4th place
Craig Monroe will be arrested for for stealing shoes to match the belt he stole two years ago
The pesky Twins will hang around for a while (getting fluke hits and strange bounces), but in the end the lack of starting pitching will lead them to 3rd place
After making a boneheaded dive at a ball that cost the Twins a game, Torrrriiiii Hunter will remind us that he is a "playa from the hood" and he "gots to keep it real"
The Indians will take second, and their bullpen will still suck
The White Sox will pummel the entire Central (with the exception of the Twins:angry:) and stroll into the playoffs with over 100 wins.
Javier Vazquez will win at least 18 games.
Derek Jeter will get a horrible read on a very routine play, recover, needlessly leap to throw, and ESPN will compare it to Willie Mays in the Polo Grounds
The resurgent Pirates will surpass the Cubs for 4th place
the White Sox will hoist another World Series trophy

Beautox
03-20-2007, 08:32 AM
MLB:
1) The Marlins take second in the east but just miss the playoffs
2) The Pirates surprise alot of people and take 3rd in the central.
3) Saito bombs out in LA and Broxton emerges as their closer.
4) The O's SP carries them to a late season swoon(ala sox '05) but they don't recover, the blue jays take the division.
5) Ichiro is traded mid season to a contender.

Sox:
1) Buerhle is traded mid season to the mets for milledge+ because of the emergence of Danks.
2) Konerko's returns to hitting 40+ HR.
3) Uribe has his best year on the southside.
4) Brian is our starting CFer and puts up a line close to this .271/.330/.475 with 20+hr and 20SB.
5) Vazquez and the rest of the staff sans Mark have great years. Mark has a mediocre season which makes him expendable with danks in the wings.

soxfan13
03-20-2007, 09:05 AM

Wow India is not a town:smile:

captainclutch24
03-20-2007, 04:54 PM
MLB
Yankees take the East best record in baseball
White Sox win the central on the last day of the season against the Tigers with 91 wins. Indians finish second with 90, Tigers third 88, Twins 83, Royals 72
Angels take the west
Blue Jays win wild card

Phillies win East
Cubs win central with 89 wins
Padres win the West with 92 wins
Dodgers take wild card in playoff with mets

Padres Angels World Series, Padres win in 6

White Sox
Thome hits over 40 hrs
Dye and Konerko hit in the mid 30s
Gooch and Crede both reach 20 hrs
Buerhle wins 14 games but his era drops only .15 and his contract isn't renewed
Brian Anderson hits .265 this season

UserNameBlank
03-20-2007, 05:09 PM
The AL East is won the the Yankees.
The AL Central is ultra competetive, so much so that the difference in wins from last place KC/Minnesota and first place Sox/Detroit is no more than 20 games.
Given the strength of the Central, the Blue Jays lead the wildcard for most of the season given their awesome offense, but pull a 2003 Sox and choke out the rest of the way, coughing up the wildcard to which ever AL Central team finishes second.
The Angels win their division and no one cares because they are eliminated in the first round. Texas finishes second.

In the NL, the strength of the NL West makes every other division look like a joke, especially the Central which is a joke. The Phils are a very solid team in the East that wins their division and makes it to the World Series. The West is a toss up between the Dbacks and Pads, and someone in the NL Central wins a tallest midget contest. Hopefully it is the Brewers, but like the Cubs, their defense makes me sick and the pitching outside of Cappy and Cordero is blah.

Other predictions: Barry Bonds receives death threats as he nears the magic number and makes the news. The Blue Jays overpay for a starter but it gets them nowhere. The Mets finish third.

ondafarm
03-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Predictions:

NL who cares?

AL West: In a frightful battle royale more like akin to watching whales beach themselves than a tighhtly fought playoff competition, the Angels finally win another division chapionship. The Eh's, and Texas Strangers both manage to look really futile after hot starts.

AL East: Toronto really mashes the ball with the best of them, but brings new meaning to the phrase, inept defense. Their pitchers benefit tremendously because all runs scored against them on the season are considered unearned. The Jays squeak to a division championship.

AL Central: This turns into two races: second place and the White Sox to 100 wins. Detroit comes from far back to actually win the wild card in the last weekend over the Red Sox.

White Sox performances:

MB: 21 wins and serious contention for CY
JG: another 18 win season
JC: a short trip to the DL but 14 solid wins
JV: finally comes thru with an 18 win season
Gavin Floyd and Charlie Haegar both get time as starters and finish with 9 and 5 wins.

BJ: 44 saves.

Pods, Erstad and BA all get around 400 ABs.
Dye, Thome and PK each get 35 HR and 100 RBIs.

Crede 28 HR, .256
Iguchi 14 HR .279
Uribe 22 HR .244
AJ and Hall, totals 25HR, .265

White Sox win 100 games, win the pennant and take down the Mets in the WS.

Ozzie Guillen gets at least one suspension and thrown out of three games.

vegyrex
03-20-2007, 09:11 PM
World Series
White Sox vs. Brewers :D:

Sox take it in 7 :bandance:

FedEx227
03-20-2007, 09:22 PM
World Series
White Sox vs. Brewers :D:

Sox take it in 7 :bandance:

I like where your head's at!

Derek Jeter will get a horrible read on a very routine play, recover, needlessly leap to throw, and ESPN will compare it to Willie Mays in the Polo Grounds

Can you predict that for 2007 when it's already happened in 2000-2006.

infohawk
03-20-2007, 10:08 PM
White Sox

The White Sox win 96 games and edge out the Cleveland Indians to capture the Central.

The Sox bullpen is as good as advertised, except one pitcher from the 'pen is sent to the minors during the season based upon poor performance and replaced with a call-up who fills in admirably.

John Danks assumes the 5th starter spot at some point and has a better season than Brandon McCarthy, leading to much consternation in Texas. Things get really ugly for the Rangers when Nick Massett emerges as a dominant reliever.

Regardless of what kind of a season he has, Mark Buehrle's name is involved in serious trade speculation by the middle of June.

Around the League

The Tigers regress and win between 80-85 games. Gary Sheffield is a disappointment. One of Kenny Rogers or Justin Verlander experience a regression.

The Twins win between 75-83 games.

The Royals are surprisingly competitive, but alas finish last in the division again.

The Wild Card will again come out of the A.L. Central.

Alex Rodriguez is traded by the July deadline.

russ99
03-20-2007, 10:31 PM
MLB:
-----
Roger Clemens retires... once he realizes that neither the Yankees, Red Sox nor Astros are willing to pay him $20 million, since for Rocket it's all about the $$$.

Matsuzaka struggles vs. major league hitters the first half and is better the second half, but nowhere near the ace he's believed to be. Comes in 2nd in ROY vote.

Players boycott new polyester cap, demand a return to wool which is switched back by the all-star break. :tongue:

Bonds gets injured, doesn't break Aaron's record.. this year.

Tejada, Buehrle and Crawford are top players traded at the deadline. A-Rod stays a Yankee (for now)

Soriano gets hurt trying to make a near-routine play in CF, out for 2 months. Cubs go into characteristic swoon. Woo-Woo kicked out of Wrigley by new ownership. :tongue:

Division picks:
-----------------
AL East: NYY, TOR, BOS, TB, BAL

AL Central: SOX, DET, CLE, MIN, KC

AL West: ANA, OAK, SEA, TEX

Wild Card: Tigers. ALCS: Sox over Angels

NL East: PHL, NYM, FLA, ATL, WSH

What everyone fails to realize is that each team in the NL Central has a suspect pitching staff except one: The Brewers.
NL Central: MIL, HOU, CUB, STL, PIT, CIN

NL West: ARI, SD, SF, LA, COL

Wild Card: Mets. NLCS: Phillies over D-Backs

World Series, White Sox over Phillies in 6. Which team will Rowand be playing for?!?!? :tongue:

TheVulture
03-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Hope to god I'm wrong, but my trick knee is telling me something is amiss in 2007...
Yeah, but I found me lucky chicken bone: it was in me beard.

Arkham
03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Sox:

The rotation will be inconsistent as hell. Not necessarily bad, (they'll fluctuate between '05 greatness and '06 not-greatness with occasional bouts of raw suckitude,) but we'll never know what we're going to get.

The lineup finishes in the top 3 in the AL in runs scored.

BA hits for a .775 OPS, which still isn't great, but is perfectly acceptable for a CF with a nifty glove. Unfortunately he'll only get 300 at-bats, because it'll take a while to realize that .650 OPS Erstad will be sporting isn't going to get any better.

Jenks will again top 40 saves. The pen won't be the greatest, but it won't be the big headache, either.

We win the Central, narrowly beating out Detroit who settle for the wild card. Indians 3rd.

MLB:

Someone in the Central will luck into a playoff spot. They'll lose to the Mets in 3 games.

The NL wild card will come out of the East. The West is a better division, but with the Marlins, Braves and Nats all sub-.500 teams, (barely, in the Marlins case, which will spawn another year of "doing so much with so little" stories) the Mets and the Phillies will have plenty of wins to aid them.

Jays will make a real run at the playoffs, but fall short. Yanks and Sawx still finish 1-2. Orioles actually finish BEHIND the D-Rays.

Rich Harden stays healthy for the season, wins the Cy Young and leads the A's to the playoffs, where they will either lose to the Wild Card Tigers or beat us because the SCUM-LOVING A'S CAN'T FREAKING LOSE BIG GAMES TO US!

soxfan123
03-21-2007, 09:33 PM
1. The White Sox win the wild card behind the Twins, of course.
2. Yankees win East, Angels win west.
3. Dodgers, Cards, and Phillies win their divisions, with the Mets winning the Wild Card.
4. White Sox beat Yankees and Twins in AL playoffs. They face the Mets in the World Series.
5. White Sox win again in a dramatic 7-game series.

Concerning the Sox:
1. Buehrle has a great year. Wins 16 games.
2. Garland drops a little in wins, but improves ERA. Vazquez significantly improves as well.
3. The 5th starter spot is a disaster, with a mid season trade.
4. Dye has a great year, but not as good as before, Thome shows his age, but is still valuable and Pods has a great year and is resigned.

Concerning the league:
1. Manny gets traded.
2. The Chicago Bulls win the NBA finals.

sox1970
03-21-2007, 10:01 PM
American League
Angels, Indians, Red Sox
Wildcard--Yankees

National League
Dodgers, Cardinals, Phillies
Wildcard--Diamondbacks

ALCS--Red Sox vs. Yankees (I know)
NLCS--Dodgers vs. Diamondbacks
World Series--Red Sox vs Diamondbacks

Champion--Red Sox

White Sox Prediction:
Disappointing starting pitching leads the Sox to an 80-82 record.

soxinem1
03-22-2007, 10:30 AM
1.)The White Sox win 100 games in the regular season and beat the Jays and Orioles in the playoffs en route to win the world series.

While I applaud your enthusiasm, I kind of doubt that our bullpen will only have five wins.

I also think the Vazquez/Floyd scenario you present will only happen in Fantasy Land......

chisoxmike
03-22-2007, 10:51 AM
2. The Chicago Bulls win the NBA finals.

Alright you're calling it.

As much as I would love to see this happen, I don't think it will. If it does, I'm buying you a drink at a Sox game this summer!

IndianWhiteSox
03-22-2007, 11:21 AM
While I applaud your enthusiasm, I kind of doubt that our bullpen will only have five wins.

I also think the Vazquez/Floyd scenario you present will only happen in Fantasy Land......

OK, maybe I should change that 110 wins for our team instead of a 100 so that the math makes sense.

But who's to say that Floyd and Vazquez can't turn the corner this year. I mean just look at Jose Contreras between Aug '05-July '06.

geraldfritz
03-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Well, Javy Vasquez will have a big year. Buerhle will come back to form. White Sox will win the division with 98 wins, after a very tight race with the Indians in which they take the Wild Card. After knocking over the Yankees in the first round, the Sox will play a thriller ALCS with the Indians, which the Sox win in 7 games on a walk off from Crede in the 12th inning.

As for the Scrubs.
Alfonso Soriano will blow out his knee during the Cubs home opener after running in on a fly ball. This will lead to the Cubs trading all of their prospects to get Sosa back, in which he then hits a mass total of 3 homeruns in 6 months and has a batting average of .109. Ted Lilly will prove that he is very well overpaid.
Lou Pinella will blow up over the poor pitching and bad defense. He will have a Heart attack by mid May. Thus keeping him from managing, in which Ron Santo takes the helm and leads the Cubs all the way to last place, with 109 losses. Cubs will still praise Ron Santo as the greatest manager ever, even after his .345 winning percentage since he took the helm.

BiggestFan14
03-24-2007, 11:27 PM
White Sox:
Four starters with at least 16 wins.
Danks wins 11.
Four players with 35 homeruns.
Four players with 100 RBIs.
Win division.
Get to World Series again and win.

Rest of League:
Somebody takes steroids, someone denies it.
Ken Griffey Jr. plays a whole season, or close to it.
The Reds make the playoffs and the Cubs don't.

goofymsfan
03-25-2007, 06:45 AM
Podsednik will have a great year.
Mariners will do better then people think they will and possibly make the playoffs.
Hargrove will be around another year.
Unfortunately, so will Bill Bavasi.
Ichiro will remain a Mariner because the M's are moving in the right direction with the youth movement.
White Sox will be in the top of the AL Central.

Zabimaru
03-25-2007, 11:42 AM
My Predictions...

Sox-related
1. Danks will surprise us all by winning at least 13 games
2. The top four starters win at least 14 games
3. KW gets a top flight leadoff hitter for just below market value
4. World Series Championship beating AZ in 5

MLB related
1. Matsuzaka wins only 12 games and Boston fails to win the East or WC
2. NYY wins the division again.
3. Bonds will break Aaron's record.
4. The Brewers will win the NL Central
5. The Marlins will win the NL East

oh yeah, and LAAA will win the division barely beating Oakland on the last day.

...so sayeth Zabimaru

Jurr
03-25-2007, 12:12 PM
NL
1.)Arizona will make noise all year, in spite of Randy Johnson.
2.)The Cubs will come out of the gate flailing, but Lou Pinella will assert himself. The North Siders will blaze through May and June, gathering media accolades galore. July starts the downturn, and all is normal in Chicago. No playoffs for the Cubs.
3.)The Pittsburgh Pirates finally give their fans something to be excited about for the future. They actually hover around .500.
4.)The Phillies and Mets are the swans of the National League

AL
1.)Kansas City will piss off a lot of AL Central fans, as they keep spoiling a hot team's momentum. They won't be a strong team, but they'll keep biting folks like a pack of Memphis mosquitoes.
2.)The days of Boston and NY mowing through their AL East rivals comes to an end. One team makes the playoffs, but not with the sterling record they're used to. They'll be saying, "Where the hell did these Blue Jays come from?"
3.)The AL Central dominates the rest of the divisions, though no team trucks on to the century mark. There's just too much strength in that group.
4.)A dogfight ensues all the way through September for the wild card and division crowns. Detroit, Chicago, Minny, Boston, New York, Anaheim, Oakland, and Toronto are all breathing down one another's necks for 4 spots.

Jjav829
03-29-2007, 01:56 PM
- Rich Harden, if healthy all season (which would make for a fearless prediction alone), will strike out 300 batters and win the AL Cy Young.
- Erik Bedard will win 20 games.
- The Brewers will win the NL Central behind a breakout year from Rickie Weeks and a healthy season from Ben Sheets.
- Josh Beckett will have a better season than Dice-K.
- Andruw Jones will lead the majors in home runs with 55.
- Khalil Greene will be the most improved player in baseball and help lead the Padres to win the NL Pennant.

:gulp:

White Sox Randy
03-29-2007, 02:52 PM
The Sox starting pitching will flop resulting in a 3rd place finish behind Detroit and Cleveland. The Sox win 85.

Mark Buehrle is traded at the deadline.

The Sox go thru atleast 3 backup catchers.

Joe Crede has a huge season - .305 36 114.

The only positive to having the Pods-Erstad 1-2 is that Iguchi hits big down in the order .285 22 84.

Erstad and Pods combine to hit less than 10 homers.

Dice K, Beckett and Schilling combine for 55 wins.

The Red Sox win the World Series over the L.A. Dodgers.

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays roster combines for 11 arrests during the season.

Zack Greinke wins 10 games.

The flubs win the N.L. Central division. The Brewers finish 1 game back.

Domeshot17
03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Dice K has a GREAT first half...shelled in 2nd half

As a replacement for either Pods or Crede injury, Josh Fields is called up, and never again sent down

Atleast 2 more future hall of famers busted for roids

Ron Santo will not be voted into the HOF

Randy Johnson rebounds out of new york and wins 17 with an era around 3.85 in AZ

Arod and Jeter have a sleep over to try and rekindle the magic in the Bronx

and, as unpopular as this may be, this is just gut feeling.......

Bobby Jenks goes on the DL with a tired arm, were Macdougal takes the closing position and never lets it go.

chisoxmike
03-29-2007, 03:03 PM
and, as unpopular as this may be, this is just gut feeling.......

Bobby Jenks goes on the DL with a tired arm, were Macdougal takes the closing position and never lets it go.

You know, I was looking at the Pre-Season predictions in the clubhouse and saw many (most) people have Jenks penciled in for 40+ saves this year.

I agree with you, I'm going to be very concerned with Jenks this season. Just on our team's recent history, when have we held a closer for a few seasons? Not since Foulke, and he only had a few good ones.

RoobarbPie
03-29-2007, 07:15 PM
MLB:
Matsuzaka wins 19
ARod has a 49 HR, 142 RBI year - leaves NY on his own terms
Nick Markakis becomes a name everyone knows
Mauer hits over .350, but misses more than 30 games
Sabathia is the only reliable Injuns starter all year
Brad Lidge regains form by keeping HR's down
Clemens pitches for Yankees
Steinbrenner makes Cashman trade Hughes and Tabata at the deadline for pitching - Santana's name is brought up, but he's not the one dealt. Yanks get Jake Peavy.

WhiteSox:
Pods stays healthy all year
MB doesn't regain his control, remains 3rd starter
Jenks lands on the DL, does not save more than 20
Sweeney rakes in AAA, plays CF after the all-star break (I know, he's not a CF'er)
Garland wins 18
Contreras wins 17
MB and Javy win 12
Ozzie says something he shouldn't:tongue:

soxfan123
03-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Alright you're calling it.

As much as I would love to see this happen, I don't think it will. If it does, I'm buying you a drink at a Sox game this summer!

I'm holdin' you to it. DAA bulls.

chisoxmike
07-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Funny to look at this at the half-way point of the season...

goofymsfan
07-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Podsednik will have a great year.
Mariners will do better then people think they will and possibly make the playoffs.

So far 1/2 right on this one.

Hargrove will be around another year.

boy did I blow this one.:o:

Unfortunately, so will Bill Bavasi.

so far this is correct as well :mad:

Ichiro will remain a Mariner because the M's are moving in the right direction with the youth movement.

I nailed this one, especially when so many M's fans were sure he wasn't going to be coming back.:bandance:

White Sox will be in the top of the AL Central.

Man did I blow this one :whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

chisoxmike
09-25-2007, 05:44 PM
With the season only days away from ending, lets see how well we predicted 2007...

1) The Boston Red Sox do not make the playoffs.
2) Mark Buehrle wins 15 games
3) The Kansas City Royals will win 70 games, but still finish in last.
4) Phillies win the NL East
5) 3 Division races go down to the final weekend series of the regular season, the other 3 are decided the final week. The Yankees are the only team that is a "shoe-in" with a divison title - but not because they play out of their minds all season.

1. Wrong
2. Wrong - but, he deserved better
3. We'll see about the not finishing in last part. They will probably have their 70 wins.
4. hmmmmm.
5. Well, the NL East, AL East, NL West are probably going to be decided this weekend. NL Central is pretty much over. Yankees...I was wrong there.

Jjav829
09-25-2007, 05:57 PM
- Rich Harden, if healthy all season (which would make for a fearless prediction alone), will strike out 300 batters and win the AL Cy Young.

:rolleyes: I did say if healthy, but I should have known he'd never make it for a full season. Or half of a season...

- Erik Bedard will win 20 games.

He would have been short of 20 even if he didn't get injured. But I was simply using 20 wins to indicate Bedard taking another step toward being one of the better pitchers in the game, and he did indeed take that step.

- The Brewers will win the NL Central...

Not gonna happen...

...behind a breakout year from Rickie Weeks...

Didn't happen this year, looking less likely to ever happen...

...and a healthy season from Ben Sheets...

Probably won't ever happen.

- Josh Beckett will have a better season than Dice-K.

Hey, I got one completely right! Beckett bested Dice-K in every category except K's, and it's still possible Beckett could overtake him in that category, too.

- Andruw Jones will lead the majors in home runs with 55.

Ehhh....that wasn't quite the explosive contract year I was expecting from Andruw. :?:

- Khalil Greene will be the most improved player in baseball and help lead the Padres to win the NL Pennant.

Let's forget I mentioned that first part and just focus on the fact that there is still a possibility the Padres could win the NL Pennant. :smile:

sox1970
09-25-2007, 06:47 PM
American League
Angels, Indians, Red Sox
Wildcard--Yankees

National League
Dodgers, Cardinals, Phillies
Wildcard--Diamondbacks

ALCS--Red Sox vs. Yankees (I know)
NLCS--Dodgers vs. Diamondbacks
World Series--Red Sox vs Diamondbacks

Champion--Red Sox

White Sox Prediction:
Disappointing starting pitching leads the Sox to an 80-82 record.

Not too shabby. Nailed the four AL teams. I guess I'll stick with Red Sox/DBacks, but at the All Star break I said Cubs/Indians, which would probably be more impressive to predict correctly.

areilly
09-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Around the league:
1) Indians make the playoffs, but after Eric Wedge is fired.

Wedge is probably safe for another week.

2) Mike Hargrove does not lose his job.

Answer technically unknown.

3) Matsuzaka has a pretty good year but wins neither ROY nor Cy Young.

I like my chances here.

4) Boston does not make the playoffs.

Sadly, I'm wrong here.

5) Roger Clemens signs with the Yankees.

Bingo.

6) Cubs make the playoffs with fewer than 87 wins.

Cubs are 83-74 and 2.5 up; this is not impossible.

On the South Side:
1) Buerhle is allowed to walk after a poor year.

WRONG!

2) Konerko's numbers improve over last year, Dye's drop, both have great seasons.

WRONG AGAIN!

3) Bobby Jenks will save 45+ games.

WRONG YET AGAIN!

4) Uribe tanks, which leads to Joe Crede and a bundle of prospects being traded in July for Alex Rodriguez.

1/5 on this one.

5) Javy emerges as one of the top pitchers in the league. Finally.

Finally right about something.

6) Dye gets an extension mid-season.

Two in a row...wow, I was all over this like the Sox on the other ALC bottom-feeders. Yowza!

Zabimaru
09-25-2007, 11:21 PM
My Predictions...

Sox-related
1. Danks will surprise us all by winning at least 13 games
2. The top four starters win at least 14 games
3. KW gets a top flight leadoff hitter for just below market value
4. World Series Championship beating AZ in 5

MLB related
1. Matsuzaka wins only 12 games and Boston fails to win the East or WC
2. NYY wins the division again.
3. Bonds will break Aaron's record.
4. The Brewers will win the NL Central
5. The Marlins will win the NL East

oh yeah, and LAAA will win the division barely beating Oakland on the last day.

...so sayeth Zabimaru

Damn did i **** up.

Sox related
1. not even close
2. at least i got Javy right
3. same as #1
4. same as #1 and #3

1. wrong on both accounts
2. could possibly still happen if the Red Cubs blow it
3. Best MLB related thing that happened this year
4. could still happen provided the Cubbies blow it
5. damn i ****ed up here. Oh well.

...so sayeth Zabimaru

PKalltheway
09-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Mark Buehrle has a spectacular comeback season, winning 18 games.

The Detroit Tigers win 98 games to win the AL Central (and take best record in the AL), followed somewhat closely by the AL Wild Card winning White Sox, who finish with 93 wins.

Cleveland keeps things competitive in the AL Central, finishing third with 89 wins.
Damn, I ****ed up big time on this.

Boston wins the AL East with 91 wins, two better than the second place Blue Jays, and three better than the New York Yankees, who will miss the playoffs for the first time since 1993.
1/2 right on this one (maybe). The Red Sox may hold on to win the AL East, but they have more than 91 wins. The Yankees, barring a catastrophic collapse, will be back in though. Missed that one.

The Los Angeles Angels win the AL West by four games over the Texas Rangers.
Ha! Correct on the Angels, but WAY wrong on them finishing 4 games ahead of Texas.

The Phils finish with the best record in the majors, astounding everybody with 99 wins. The New York Mets win the Wild Card with 96 wins. The Braves will make things tough, contending until the last two weeks of the season.
I was wrong on the Phils finishing with the best record in the majors, but it is coming down to those three teams.

The NL Central is a dogfight to the finish between the Cubs and Reds. The Cubs and Reds both finish with 87 wins, but the Cubs ultimately win the division based on their head to head record against Cincinnati. The defending World Champion Cardinals will tank to a miserable fifth place finish, but they'll finish light years ahead of last place Pittsburgh.
I was at least right on the Cubs contending. The Cardinals are having a miserable finish, but not a 5th place finish.

The Dodgers take the NL West with 92 wins, just one better than the suprise team of the year, the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Wrong on the Dodgers, but correct on Arizona being the suprise team of the year. They're almost a lock for the playoffs.:D:

The playoffs...
The White Sox, after scalding Boston and Detroit in the ALDS and ALCS respectively, make it back to the World Series.

The Dodgers make it to the World Series for the first time in 19 years, besting the Mets in the NLDS, and the Phillies in the NLCS.

The White Sox beat the Dodgers in a seven game thriller.

Other fearless predictions...
The White Sox will pull a rare feat: having three players finish with at least 40 homers (Konerko, Dye, and Thome).

Alex Rodriguez will finish with 48 homers and 131 RBI's, but that won't be enough for the demanding Yankee fans, who are livid over the fact that they missed the playoffs. He leaves New York after the season.

The Nationals, Pirates, and Devil Rays will all lose at least 100 games. The Nasty Nats will be the worst of them all, losing 115 games.

The AL will finally lose an All Star Game, getting slammed by the NL 14-0. Ryan Howard blasts two homers in the rout, one of which goes 475 feet. Daisuke Matzusaka (sp?) starts for the AL and gives up 7 runs in the first inning.
:rolleyes:I ****ed up on every, single, solitary thing on that part.

Viva Medias B's
09-26-2007, 08:44 AM
National League
NL East: New York, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Florida, Washington
NL Central: St. Louis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Houston, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh
NL West: Los Angeles, Arizona, San Diego, Colorado, San Francisco
NL Wild Card: Philadelphia

NL MVP: Albert Pujols, STL
NL CY: Jason Schmidt, LAD
NL ROY: Andy LaRoche, LAD
NL First Manager Fired: Clint Hurdle, COL

American League
AL East: New York, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore, Tampa Bay
AL Central: WHITE SOX, Detroit, Cleveland, Minnesota, Kansas City
AL West: Los Angeles, Texas, Oakland, Seattle
AL Wild Card: Detroit

AL MVP: Joe Mauer, MIN
AL CY: Johan Santana, MIN
AL ROY: Daisuke Matsuzaka, BOS
AL First Manager Fired: Buddy Bell, KC

MLB Postseason
NLDS A: Mets over Cardinals
NLDS B: Dodgers over Phillies
ALDS A: WHITE SOX over Yankees
ALDS B: Tigers over Angels

NLCS: Mets over Dodgers
ALCS: WHITE SOX over Tigers
WORLD SERIES: WHITE SOX over Mets

Generally a mixed bag, but my White Sox predictions were right on the mark there!

ondafarm
09-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Predictions:

NL who cares?

AL West: In a frightful battle royale more like akin to watching whales beach themselves than a tighhtly fought playoff competition, the Angels finally win another division chapionship. The Eh's, and Texas Strangers both manage to look really futile after hot starts.

AL East: Toronto really mashes the ball with the best of them, but brings new meaning to the phrase, inept defense. Their pitchers benefit tremendously because all runs scored against them on the season are considered unearned. The Jays squeak to a division championship.

AL Central: This turns into two races: second place and the White Sox to 100 wins. Detroit comes from far back to actually win the wild card in the last weekend over the Red Sox.

White Sox performances:

MB: 21 wins and serious contention for CY
JG: another 18 win season
JC: a short trip to the DL but 14 solid wins
JV: finally comes thru with an 18 win season
Gavin Floyd and Charlie Haegar both get time as starters and finish with 9 and 5 wins.

BJ: 44 saves.

Pods, Erstad and BA all get around 400 ABs.
Dye, Thome and PK each get 35 HR and 100 RBIs.

Crede 28 HR, .256
Iguchi 14 HR .279
Uribe 22 HR .244
AJ and Hall, totals 25HR, .265

White Sox win 100 games, win the pennant and take down the Mets in the WS.

Ozzie Guillen gets at least one suspension and thrown out of three games.

Well, a mixed bag entirely for me.

I pegged the Angels and AL West fairly well.

I didn't like Toronto's defense, and that has come to pass.

I didn't forsee the Red Sox or Indians.

I missed on all the starting pitchers and Crede. I think I pegged Uribe AJ/Hall and Iguchi fairly well, although I didn't think Iggy would be traded. My expectations of PK, Dye and Thome were all a bit high but not absurdly so.

As for my Sox prediction, eh?